Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lamont Cranston posted:

this is me posting

what is this from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

johndis posted:

oh so basically the complete opposite of ur posting ahahahahhhaha fkn owned

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
depends on your tolerance for the lovely parts of tv sci fi (acting, CG)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

Also can i get a holla for all my foundation and empire brothers and sisters out there!

foundation owns
foundation and empire owns
second foundation owns
foundation's edge is not that good
foundation and earth and robots and empire were both terrible ideas

never read prelude or forward they're ok I guess unless daneel shows up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in foundation the stories just keep getting longer and longer as you go on until about 75% of second foundation is one continuous plot

also in foundation and empire they drop the whole "hi I'm hari seldon here to debrief you on doing exactly what I predicted you'd do" gimmick in an awesome way

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dune is unfilmable today because it's a naked parable of opec rising up and subjugating the west

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
any book incomprehensible without it's included appendix is unfilmable (ignoring the LOTR appendices detracts nothing from the story)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

I remember seeing Dune toys in toy stores, they didn't sell very well.

*big TRY ME sticker* press button to enact complex web of strategic alliances. batteries sold separately

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when you watch solaris go get a beer or yospost or something during the highway driving scene

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Amethyst posted:

THERE IS NO SANCTUARY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JawnV6 posted:

"oh gently caress it: cats"

yospos: the movie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
blade runner is almost nothing like do androids dream of electric sheep, they cut a ton and changed even more

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
falling skies has the right amount of cheese, plus it gives me serious flashbacks to the Tripods novels and I ate that poo poo up when I was a kid

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
never saw the tv series but that is usually the case with stuff like this, especially that long ago

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why has nobody mentioned clarke yet

he's even worse at human characters than asimov but holy poo poo read rendezvous with rama and childhood's end and 2001 and the nine billion names of god

do not under any circumstances read the rama sequels tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
all of the martian chronicles owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
childhood's end was also the inspiration for the cover art on houses of the holy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

one of the problems I have with later Star Trek is the issue of writers/producers basically going "we've got this idea that wouldn't actually work for production/logic/continuity reasons, but we're just going to bullshit our way through it because we really want to do it and we're too lazy to actually rewrite anything."

"we need the warp drive to be a ticking time bomb"
"well, there's a whole lot of effort the Federation put into designing it so it won't do that."
"well it just is. ejection system? oh that failed. off switch? yeah that failed too. BOOM! see, that was simple. this is why you nerds aren't writers like us."

"we have this plot which is p. much just a war story but we need something to make it 'trek', ideas?"
"some bullshit about 'subspace mines' they can poke around at with tricorders, which eventually helps their bros out"
"gj, have the boys down in arts & crafts whip up some technobabble for it. and add some scenes in that 60s bar, i fukken love the 60s"

"my episode's bullshit external threat subplot hinges around some gimmick where the ship can't turn at warp speed"
"uhhhhhhhh"
"gently caress you i'm making this happen *takes a huge poo poo*"

this is why we have no idea how the galactica's hyperdrive works

ron moore was sick of writers coming up with good story ideas and some nerd saying "that could never happen because [technobabble from two seasons ago]"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

bsg got so bad

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the caves of steel is the result of someone telling asimov that it was impossible to write a sci fi detective story

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kirk posted:

who wears shoes indoors for real

anyone who grew up on unwaxed wooden floors

(it's me)

(took years to break that habit after I moved out)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hyperion ownage scale:

hyperion: 9
fall of hyperion: 10
endymion: 7
rise of endymion: 9

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

golgo13sf posted:

Galaxy Quest is a pro movie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

Diana Wynn Jones: The Tough Guide To Fantasyland. A hilarious A-Z collection of every single fantasy cliche, done in the style of travel guidebook.

all of diana wynn jones owned at the time but she wrote for teenagers so it might be too late now for a lot of us

quote:

measure of a man

also owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I started watching Enterprise from te beginning on Netflix. Not bad, Archer seems like an acceptable captain. Makes out with the bumpy heads, punches aliens in the face. Thumbs up

wait until you get to the xindi arc

a bunch of alien terrorists use a space laser to blow up florida and we're supposed to identify strongly with this as a 9/11 allegory but no one really cared because who's going to miss florida

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
brent spiner owns

saw him in independence day over the weekend. good times

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best fan wiki is transformers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Amethyst posted:

everyone post how many wheel of time books they made it through.

don't know how I made it that far, but when I realized that book 9 took almost 800 pages to cover the events of maybe a day or two I said gently caress it I'm not doing this any more

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

golgo13sf posted:

The series peaks at book 4/5 then goes downhill until Robert Jordan died and then the new guy has done a really good job of making poo poo happen. If you've made it that far give the Sanderson written ones a chance, the pacing is worlds better.

it's been so long I'd have to read the old ones to get back up to speed and gently caress that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
didn't read otherland but did read a tad williams book which was your basic heroic fantasy story except all the characters were cats and woodland creatures. not anthropomorphized either, just animals (who could talk but that's it)

"tailchaser's song" iirc

william sleator owned

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ycs bitch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when will they realize that art being completely baroquen out of the box is unacceptable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trig Discipline posted:

i think i read canticle for leibowitz, but i can't remember what it was about at all

and maybe i'm just thinking of a rose for ecclesiastes

post-apocalyptic monks worship a shopping list and gradually rebuild civilization

the last chapter is loving fantastic and imma go read it right now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

the last chapter is loving fantastic and imma go read it right now

awwww yeah that is the poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
a book about zombies and a video game

compare it to an anime for the goonery trifecta

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 19, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kirk posted:

when i took the bus twice a day i got a poo poo ton more reading done than i do now, these days i read for maybe an hour a day if that. although the other weekend i got like 4-5 hours of reading in cause the book was decent and i made the time for it.

same boat. my subway ride went from about 40 minutes down to 5 and I'm out of the habit of making time to read at home

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lost was cool but I'll never rewatch it

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 20, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if you have not read the Martian chronicles get out and don't come back until you have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
still wishing they had gone for the joop ending

quote:

On the May 4, 2007 podcast, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse joked that Joop was their solution to ending the show, should it be abruptly cancelled. The final scene would be a cut to a desk and a leather chair, which would turn to reveal Joop saying, "Hello I'm Joop. I bet you're wondering who I am," with a pipe in his mouth. Joop would then proceed to explain all of the Island's mysteries in a crisp and satisfactory fashion.

• Locked thread