Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Come at me Bro
          /

I wouldn't want to stand so close to that guy.

LinuxGirl87 posted:

Firefly was a pretty ok series, fanboyed grossly out of proportion to its actual quality.

Pro-button-click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

So Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons are a coin toss for babby's first Culture picture book? I haven't read any of them and I'm pretty curious about them.

If you like hard sci-fi I too must highly recommend Alastair Reynolds' books. Revelation Space, Chasm City, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap in that order. I really enjoyed them. He does a pretty good job of implicating how high technology has changed humanity and human culture without making the story just about the technology.

One of my favorite bits is in Redemption Ark where two factions are having a very protracted war between two interstellar ships traveling at relativistic speeds. One of the factions develop acausal weapons (devices that violate cause-and-effect). The narrative implies that timelines just kind of jump around to "fix" the causality problems this technology creates and only the people involved with the experiments know something went wrong. And the main characters are all ignorant of these effects and cancel the research because it's clearly not working right and just not producing results.

Absolution Gap is actually a weak ending in my opinion, but that's just like my opinion man.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

L'Engle had some just hosed up covers:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

i remember the whole my teacher is an alien series by bruce coville being the absolute poo poo when i was like pre-6th grade

Retro-junior-readers postin ahead.

Anyone read The Computer that said Steal Me when they were little? It sucked. Not sci-fi, but pretty YOSPOS as the kid steals a $300 (in 1983 dollars!) Tandy-brand chess computer from a radio shack. OK, it was a Tandy/RatShack literary knockoff brand, but it's the thought that counts.

I did however devour most of William Sleator's books. I remember particularly liking Interstellar Pig and the Boy who Reversed Himself. Singularity was also great. It was about a twin with an inferiority complex that spent a year (in a single night) near a time anomaly out in the ol' farm shed to gain a year on his brother.

A box of Nothing was also pretty cool.

I'm trying to remember the name of this other book that was about a kid that found a shareware video game that sucked people into it. He teams up with the bully or something. I thought it was called "Invaders" or something, but it seems too general a search term and I haven't the foggiest about the author.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

Space Demons? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Demons

Yup, that's it. Never read any of the sequels though. Hilarious that you were able to ID it based on my crappy description.

• Locked thread