Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Does Gzdoom let you do lighting like the highlighted below?

That kind of soft shadow and irregular shape is much closer to Quake than Doom. Curious if you can play stock Doom with it. I guess they're finding shadows from a unidirectional light source above the level to simulate the sun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
GZDoom can do that (and more if you use an external OpenGL shader), but for it to be detailed like that you have to find or create dynamic lightmaps for the individual maps.

VV edit: I think it's more that Windows XP is a tiny fraction of users, and also out of official support, so they don't even bother testing it on XP at all VV

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 10, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

laserghost posted:

Wait, what?

MINIMUM:

:(

Sometimes games do that just to legally cover their asses. It could mean simply "We're not gonna even bother supporting anything before Vista, so you're on your own, but it probably should work fine without any issue".

Course it COULD mean there's something that depends upon modern DirectX or some kinda DRM, but hopefully/probably not?

Elliotw2 posted:

Why are you still using Windows XP in 2014?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

laserghost posted:

Wait, what?

MINIMUM:

:(

gently caress man, I know, Windows 3.1 was working so well :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

Course it COULD mean there's something that depends upon modern DirectX or some kinda DRM, but hopefully/probably not?

Or just using VC++ 2013 without jumping through hoops to explicitly enable XP support. Because Microsoft likes making it so that its compilers will output code deliberately incompatible with no-longer-supported systems.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Any news on a DRM-free / GOG release? I can't see anything on Night Dive's Twitter feed...

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Elliotw2 posted:

Could go with the "poor" excuse, but in all seriousness, I see no point in buying and installing OEM copy of Win7/8, when I'm going to replace gfx card and HDD in next 6 months or so. Also nearly everything I use/play works fine on XP.

Awesome Welles posted:

gently caress man, I know, Windows 3.1 was working so well :(

You bet. I was using Win 3.11 well into 1996, and Win98 until XP came.

Also I seriously think it's kinda bullshit that recomppiled Doom game needs 64bit operating system, for what? Network capabilities? Some super duper advanced graphics library?

vvv yeah, done that when the end of support date was published and this registry key trick revealed

laserghost fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 11, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

laserghost posted:

Could go with the "poor" excuse, but in all seriousness, I see no point in buying and installing OEM copy of Win7/8, when I'm going to replace gfx card and HDD in next 6 months or so. Also nearly everything I use/play works fine on XP.

You bet. I was using Win 3.11 well into 1996, and Win98 until XP came.

Please tell me you at least enabled the registry key that allows you to continue to get updates, dude.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Shot a quick email to Night Dive who said that "Yes, we have plans to offer a DRM-free version through GOG." Can't wait to play through this again!

Convex fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 11, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

I know at least one guy who's still using Windows XP because he literally cannot afford ANYTHING better. It's kind of sad, really.

Elliotw2 posted:

GZDoom can do that (and more if you use an external OpenGL shader), but for it to be detailed like that you have to find or create dynamic lightmaps for the individual maps.
GZDoom supports lightmaps? Since when? I mean, poo poo, that image even has sunlight coming from the skybox. Pretty sure GZDoom can't do that...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cacoward thoughts:

BTSX2, Going Down, Square are really the only ones I feel qualified to speak on, and they're all obvious no question choices.

I don't even think there was anything really missed. So basically... Great job kmx.

The only thing I'd have liked is a nod towards Obsidian somewhere. If 2014 was the year of the speedmap, he embodied that more than anyone. Countdown to Extinction wasn't award quality, but it was a good amount of fun, and the Abyssal Speed mapping Sessions have done a lot to contribute to the speedmapping renaissance.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What does Megadeth have to do with doom mapping?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Vavoom and Doomsday supports them better, but you can make it work with some minor issues in GZDoom.

However, it looks like the preferred way to do it is to be careful and fake it with texture dynamic lighting.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Shadow Hog posted:

GZDoom supports lightmaps? Since when? I mean, poo poo, that image even has sunlight coming from the skybox. Pretty sure GZDoom can't do that...

Correct. To hazard a guess (although it certainly wouldn't seem like a bad idea to ask them), either the map format was changed, or the overall simplicity means they are using the remaining unused performance/compatibility for it. In the long run, all this needs to do is run this specific version of Strife, not 20 years of Doom mods, so they already know how complex the maps are and what rendering tricks they need. It might just be enough to get away with lightmaps in some way, even dynamic ones if there's just enough performance to brute force it.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 11, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I will say, though, that Doom with Quake-style lightmaps would be a pretty friggin' awesome thing to have. Unlikely to ever happen, of course, but I'd be all for it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

What does Megadeth have to do with doom mapping?

The fact that more maps need to have Megadeth.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Frankly I'm more amazed that your Kaboom! keychain game survived the 90's

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Here's a full list of Cacoward nominees this year. Surprising how few of them made it through.

There can only be ten plus the special awards.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Zeether posted:

Guess what's on Steam now and arriving on Friday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/317040/

Anyone know how much this is gonna cost?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't even think there was anything really missed. So basically... Great job kmx.

thanks.

stuff is always gonna be glossed over. from all the projects i know secret and public 2015 will be another blood tornado, leaving plenty of of broken hearts in its wake. that's good, tho. theres always something for anybody in the doom community

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Really when you think about it it's pretty amazing that there's so much doom stuff made in a year that quality stuff can be overlooked at an end-of-year wrap-up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Geight posted:

Really when you think about it it's pretty amazing that there's so much doom stuff made in a year that quality stuff can be overlooked at an end-of-year wrap-up.

It's been mentioned before but Doom almost seems like it attracts more content creators than consumers, at this point.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jordan7hm posted:

It's been mentioned before but Doom almost seems like it attracts more content creators than consumers, at this point.

This can't be a bad thing, though. :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never played Strife before. I'm looking forward to that!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Really liking the look of that Strife port. Lots of love gone into it, judging by those screenshots/trailer.

Also, Xaser put up a big gameplay video of Demonsteele being played on one of his new maps-in-production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwSq3zhpHOk

Terminus, you need to keep bashing away at this one until it's fully fleshed out. And then maybe assemble a team of mappers to create an official map-pack for it, or at least pick out a really good couple that gel well with it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
As a note, it's page (Intel) 486! Time to get on those old-rear end PCs and play games on the hardware they were usually on! (Don't actually do this)

EDIT: woops!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 11, 2014

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Colon Semicolon posted:

(Don't actually do this)

Yeah booting up old PCs sounds like a hoot until you're flipping through a stack of floppies looking for a recovery disc while thinking "I could be squandering the gift of life so many better ways"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You don't need recovery disks once you buy a $5 IDE to CompactFlash adapter. You can just dump a working install right on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That is a very good investment if you like playing with old computers at all. CF cards are cheap as hell and you can just pre-load them with whatever the gently caress you want from gog or Steam.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Pentium was the 586 :cmon:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also, it's surprisingly cheap to get a hold of ISA and PCI ethernet cards these days, and Windows 95/98 will happily set up network filesharing with a modern Windows machine. So you can dump poo poo over the network at a good clip if the machine isn't new enough to handle USB flash drives.

I have a 486 with 16 MB of RAM running Windows 95. It'll happily transfer stuff over the ethernet port at like 8 megabytes per second.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Even on straight up DOS, if you can find a packet driver for your NIC you can transfer stuff via ftp with mTCP.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I actually do kinda want to get a Windows 95-or-98 machine one of these days. I suppose I've been watching too many Lazy Game Reviews videos, but it just fires up the nostalgia in me something fierce.

Until then, most of the games I want to play still run well enough on my 64-bit Windows 7 rig. DOS games run in DOSBox well enough, 32-bit Windows applications generally run natively. Only the 16-bit Windows applications really give me any issues, since virtual machines tend to not be quite as good as the real thing used to be.

I know I've been bringing up Powerslave a drat lot lately, but I stumbled upon this Lobotomy Software retrospective earlier today. It's a fascinating watch; so much talent, but the development team was sort of financially unsustainable from the start. Such a shame...

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Linguica posted:

The Pentium was the 586 :cmon:

dammit I remembered the processor on our first PC wrong. I was thinking of the Intel 486, nevermind.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 11, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In all seriousness? A great thing to buy for a mid 90s gaming PC is a late 90s chunky laptop. They typically come with built in graphics that will do perfectly well, and often even have both a floppy and cd drive still, and with a Pentium or Pentium II CPU that will be more than enough. Then you just hook 'em up to an external monitor and plug in an external keyboard and mouse (most of them have a at least USB 1.1 for that), and PCMCIA cards for networking or USB 2.0 if you want it are cheap.

They also save massive amounts on shipping compared to getting shipped a full desktop case.

I personally use this with the hard drive replaced with an 8 GB compactflash and the RAM upgraded to 96 MB for most of the old games:
http://michaelminn.com/linux/toshiba335/ (of course not with linux on it, instead it's got Windows 98 and W3XStart which lets Windows 3.11 boot from Windows 98 DOS mode)

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Dominic White posted:

Terminus, you need to keep bashing away at this one until it's fully fleshed out. And then maybe assemble a team of mappers to create an official map-pack for it, or at least pick out a really good couple that gel well with it.

Thanks very much. And that's the plan, at least. I still have a lot to do left on my, well, to-do list.

As for maps, I would be incredibly surprised (though infinitely grateful) if anyone actually said they were interested to assist with a small map-pack for this. That being said, I could try my hand at cracking out one or two maps down the line.
In the meantime, though, Scythe 2 was used so extensively for testing it that it's practically balanced around the entire megawad.

EDIT: Well, except for the jumping, of course.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 11, 2014

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Shadow Hog posted:

I will say, though, that Doom with Quake-style lightmaps would be a pretty friggin' awesome thing to have. Unlikely to ever happen, of course, but I'd be all for it.

It's called Quake :-P

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
As a note in regards to old computers, there are custom drivers for Windows 98 that both let it automatically recognize most USB drives, but also let it read NTFS drives. Really nice for retrocomputing as I can just dump whatever I want on my external HDD and use that to transfer poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

I know I've been bringing up Powerslave a drat lot lately, but I stumbled upon this Lobotomy Software retrospective earlier today. It's a fascinating watch; so much talent, but the development team was sort of financially unsustainable from the start. Such a shame...

I'd love Night Dive to get the rights to Powerslave and port the console version over to the PC, maybe clean it up a bit and add some of the stuff from the Build Engine version. Combine the strengths of all the different versions and make an ultimate edition of the game, essentially.