Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Actually, I don't know that they move up first. The thing is that they're free standing platforms (i.e. they don't have any raised floors near them). I'm guessing in order to get them to work I'm going to have to use some sort of ACS trickery, like specifying the amount to raise and lower them with just the regular raise and lower commands and then loop them.

From your description of it it sounds to me like you could also make a dummy sector to get the platform to stop at the appropriate height, if you wanted to do it with simple vanilla tricks. If I'm misunderstanding something critical, just ignore me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Actually, I don't know that they move up first. The thing is that they're free standing platforms (i.e. they don't have any raised floors near them). I'm guessing in order to get them to work I'm going to have to use some sort of ACS trickery, like specifying the amount to raise and lower them with just the regular raise and lower commands and then loop them.

What map format are you using? I suggest looking at the action specials listing for UDMF if you haven't done so already. Normally a sector moves to the closet neighbor. I am not really sure what you want your platforms to do, but if you can't get a single action special to work you can always script a Floor_RaisebyValueTimes8, then a Floor_LowerbyValueTimes8 inside a loop and using delay commands.

Example:
code:
script 1 OPEN
{
    while(true)
    {
         delay(35 * number of seconds);
         Floor_RaisebyValue(tag #, speed, height);
         delay(35 * seconds);
         Floor_LowerbyValue(tag #, speed, height);
    }
}
The introduction of scripting in Zdoom is extremely useful and can allow you to think up seem neat tricks.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 24, 2012

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

So I've taken a look at how the perpetual platform action works and it seems like what it does is move the platform between the height of the highest adjacent floor and the lowest adjacent floor +8. If you're OK with the platform moving down to the floor you can get a standalone platform to rise to some arbitrary height without scripting by using a dummy sector. Here's an example (in UDMF format). Note the dummy sectors lying outside of the main room.

If you want it to do anything else, it looks like you'll have to resort to a script like SPACE HOMOS' example below.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Does anyone plan on making a MAP30 for the goon megawad? Or, you know, whatever the last level ends up equivalent to? Because I'm kind of leaning towards including an Icon of Sin encounter at the end of my map. Don't want to step on anyone's toes though, so I figured I should ask first.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Holy poo poo.

Never before have I felt such a sense of accomplishment and loathing for a mapper. Scythe's Map 24: "Anger". Brutal Doom V16test3 on Ultra Violent.

The level dumps you in a closet with a teleporter and a berserk pack. The instant you pick up the berserk pack, you are teleported into what can only be described as a clusterfuck: Dozens of demons and imps, 4 Cacodemons, 3 Barons of Hell and 2 Arch-Viles are immediately bearing down on you from all directions. You can easily go from 100 armor and health to teetering on the verge of death in three or four seconds.

If you were fast enough to react and weren't immediately killed on the teleport pad, you're most likely going after the soul sphere. You are stupid! A squad of Revenants teleports in between you and the power up, and one will be close enough to perform a fatality on you before you realize what has happened.

So you don't go for the soul sphere right away. Instead, you spend your last 50 energy cells launching a desperate BFG ball into the crowd while you beeline for more energy cell ammo (enough for four more shots.) You are low on ammo because the wad took all of your weapons away two maps ago, and you still haven't caught up to speed. SOMEHOW you manage to kill most of the enemies without one of the balls exploding in your face (when a demon gets too close), or getting thrown into lava by one of the Arch-Viles. You then spend your meager reserve of shotgun shells dispatching the survivors, and pick up the blue key.

What waits behind the blue door? What will be on the receiving end of your 17 energy cells, 8 shotgun shells, 30 bullets, and 1 rocket? Why, two Cyberdemons, of course! If you can kite them out into the initial area, you might be able to squeeze into the closet and pick up the 200 energy cells they were guarding. That might be enough ammunition to kill them. Cue another horde of Hellknights and imps spawning in behind you. Good job! Now kill that Arch-Vile behind the next door, only to realize that a second arch-vile had spawned in behind you and was resurrecting everything you've just killed.

:argh: Angeeeeeeer.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 28, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Beat UT&T. Playing on normal since I'm not as amazing as everyone else. I ended up God-moding myself to knock the final boss down to half health after like, dying fifty times in the home stretch. Still died some more before I finally killed him. Count that as a win, especially when the loving source Guardians would one-shot me when I was at full health. Now I'm on the Lost Episode. Once I beat this, are there any other good mods with the same theme? I love the Gothic-Industrial feel of it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

Beat UT&T. Playing on normal since I'm not as amazing as everyone else. I ended up God-moding myself to knock the final boss down to half health after like, dying fifty times in the home stretch. Still died some more before I finally killed him. Count that as a win, especially when the loving source Guardians would one-shot me when I was at full health. Now I'm on the Lost Episode. Once I beat this, are there any other good mods with the same theme? I love the Gothic-Industrial feel of it.

It's tough to find entire WADs that emulate UT&T's Tormentor667's distinct style. For wad compilations on par with UT&T's quality, I would recommend "ZPack: Random Maps for ZDoom", especially since Tormentor667 has a few maps in that megawad.

"Speed of Doom" has an interesting feel to it that you might, enjoy, as well.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Turns out that trawling the gigantic list of skulltag servers for new wads to try out in Brutal Doom is a great way of traveling back in time, but with horrible user-made maps.

Download a promising wad with a cool name like "BETWEEN DEMON CLAWS;" get treated to a yawning expanse of grey blocks chock full of Reverents, Chaingunners, and a handful of Spider Masterminds; have to noclip to the end because it requires six keys found in opposite corners of the map behind a wall of Cyberdemons and teleporter mazes; reach the Intermission screen and get treated to pixelated fanart of Cloud and Sephiroth from Final Fantasy.

It was like discovering someone's godawful Geocites page, right down to the lovely MIDI-versions of Linkin Park songs.

gbmcb
Mar 1, 2006
Wow, this thread brings back lots of memories. Havent read the whole thing, but my favorite was Aliens Online. Player Marines vs Player and NPC aliens, was an interesting twist.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's tough to find entire WADs that emulate UT&T's Tormentor667's distinct style. For wad compilations on par with UT&T's quality, I would recommend "ZPack: Random Maps for ZDoom", especially since Tormentor667 has a few maps in that megawad.

"Speed of Doom" has an interesting feel to it that you might, enjoy, as well.

Well, I'm not necessarily looking for ones that have the same play-style, just the same look and feel. Zpack is interesting so far, though!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Xaser's wonderful Psychic gameplay mod has been updated to Beta 5, adding support for Strife and the Raven games.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This isn't the first time I've seen a Doom wad with a matched pair of handguns named Cain and Abel. What's the deal there?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This isn't the first time I've seen a Doom wad with a matched pair of handguns named Cain and Abel. What's the deal there?

Fairly clearly patterned after Dante's guns from Devil May Cry, which is what Psychic is most heavily based on. His pair are Ebony and Ivory, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Nightmare Omega is a direct copy of DMC's Nightmare Beta, too, and in light of that it seems reasonable to assume that the shotgun, grenade gun, and needle gun are modeled after the (stylistically similar and mechanically identical) weapons of the same names in DMC, and the red coins after DMC's red orbs.

Having played through the first two episodes now, I'm not really a fan. All of the upgrades are boring - "your (gun|power) does the same thing it did already, except better". Some of them (needler 2) are mandatory if you want to use that weapon at all, while others are useless (needler 3) or counterproductive (shotgun 2/3). And I can't even figure out what the Nightmare upgrades do at all.

The fact that it provides strong incentives to pick a small number of effective weapons/powers and use those to the exclusion of all else doesn't help, either.

Worse, some of the temporary upgrades like Overcharge and Psycho are pretty interesting - but they don't last long, and coins spent on those are coins you can't spend on permanent upgrades, so there's incentives not to use them.

It's very polished, but mostly all it does is make me want to see if I can get War of Attrition to play nice with one of the doom-to-duke3d map conversions.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

The Kins posted:

Xaser's wonderful Psychic gameplay mod has been updated to Beta 5, adding support for Strife and the Raven games.

Hooray, the pistols have autofire now! My clicking finger is so relieved.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

Autofire stopped working for me in the third episode and I have no idea why. :(

I'm pondering giving Hexen a go with this, since Psycho would fix Hexen's biggest problem (the lack of weapons).

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 29, 2012

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

This has been a feature for a while, you pick between automatic and manual firing through the player class in the player setup menu.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm pondering giving Hexen a go with this, since Psycho would fix Hexen's biggest problem (the lack of weapons).

Ok, this turns out to not be a good idea because it doesn't fix:
- enemies being ridiculous bullet sponges, with the more common enemies being more spongy
- the entire game being a huge cross-map keymaze

And additionally it introduces a new problem:
- enemies drop gently caress all for bloodcoins and free-floating bloodcoin pickups are rarer than in Doom, meaning that halfway through episode 1 I have just been able to afford my second purchase

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I asked Xaser about some of this stuff.
1.) Psycho and Overcharge replace the Chainsaw and Berserk Pack spawns, so you can find them naturally in Doom without spending Blood Money.
2.) Can you expand on how certain upgrades are counterproductive or useless? He's curious.
3.) He's probably going to make the Hexen support use the Mage spawns, so there's less Ettins starting out. That might make things a little easier. He agrees that starting Blood Money is a bit low, but he wanted to know if other people thought so too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The thing with Psychic is that it works best on larger campaigns, as it takes a while to get up to speed, and you won't be regularly buying powerups or upgrades until you're fighting really big swarms of enemies. Basing your progression of power on the number and type of enemies killed means that each WAD is going to have a very different feel.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Christ, I really liked AEOD's randomizer and different guns and poo poo. Now I kinda wish there was something like it for stuff like Unreal and so on. Shame they decided to take out the classes in V6, it was fun blowing things away as a Weredragon or Robot.

Speaking of Unreal, giving it a try via this mod. (Playing it as a rabid velociraaptor or a Xenomorph feels so weird.) I like the level design, it's got nice touches and the enemies are a blast, even if the manta are annoying as gently caress.

Are there any single player mods for Quake 3 that don't suck? I looked at Carmack Fortress, but it was... poo poo.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 30, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Kins posted:

2.) Can you expand on how certain upgrades are counterproductive or useless? He's curious.
I'm not the same guy, but the weapon upgrades are boring; personally I'd make them each do different things or just make one upgrade, have it cost more but have a visual difference and a more noticable effect. There's little incentive to upgrade the guns since they do so little damage anyway and you might as well put the blood money into spells.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JackMackerel posted:

Now I kinda wish there was something like it for stuff like Unreal and so on.
There are weapon randomiser mods for UT99 that let you pick from all the mods you have installed... I don't remember what they are, though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does Reelism use the standard "open" key at all? What about the "reload" function? I'm figuring out the best way to map the grenades and stuff but I don't wanna shove anything important out of the way.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Minidust posted:

Does Reelism use the standard "open" key at all? What about the "reload" function? I'm figuring out the best way to map the grenades and stuff but I don't wanna shove anything important out of the way.
There's no reloading, but you do need to open doors.

Personally, I map moving around the inventory to a button on the side of my mouse, and using inventory items to Middle Mouse.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

1.) Psycho and Overcharge replace the Chainsaw and Berserk Pack spawns, so you can find them naturally in Doom without spending Blood Money.

Yeah, that's how I know they're interesting. :) They still don't last very long, though, and what I was getting at is that it would be nice if those were upgrades you could buy rather than expendable powerups - see JBlade's quote below.

quote:

Needler: Needler 2 is basically required to use the weapon at all. At that point, though, it has enough range to hit basically anything - I think I hit two locations in the first three episodes where I had line of sight to something but it was out of range for the needler 2. And the fact that bloodcoins expire means you want to get up close and personal anyways! Needler 3 doesn't make things worse, but it's a waste of coins.

Shotgun: Shotgun 1 already has so much spread that it's pretty much only useful if the room is full of monsters or you're shoving it down the target's throat. Why would I ever want more of that?

quote:

3.) He's probably going to make the Hexen support use the Mage spawns, so there's less Ettins starting out. That might make things a little easier. He agrees that starting Blood Money is a bit low, but he wanted to know if other people thought so too.

Honestly, I didn't find it difficult, just tedious. Ettins take 4+ seconds of constant pistol fire to kill (or 3-4 castings of lightning or steel) and drop a pittance, which, in turn, means it takes forever to save up enough to buy a more effective weapon or spell.

Jblade posted:

I'm not the same guy, but the weapon upgrades are boring; personally I'd make them each do different things or just make one upgrade, have it cost more but have a visual difference and a more noticable effect. There's little incentive to upgrade the guns since they do so little damage anyway and you might as well put the blood money into spells.

A thousand times this. This was my biggest complaint earlier, much more so than Needler 3 or Shotgun 2/3 being a waste of coins or Hexen being unbearably tedious. Every upgrade does nothing but make your weapon or spell slightly better at what it already does. You don't get qualitative improvements like in War of Attrition (knockback and bleed for the shotgun, submunitions, stun, and fire for the grenades, etc); you don't even get visual improvements like the laser colour changing in Descent.

The psi upgrades have this problem as well; upgrading a psi power you already have is a much better use of coins than buying a new one, but the only interesting purchases are the ones that unlock new psi abilities (or weapons).

(I know I harp on War of Attrition a lot, but even if you aren't going for the same ridiculously over the top madness, the way it treated weapon upgrades is fantastic and has become my point of reference for these things. If I am not actually excited for the next upgrade, something is wrong, and in Psychic, I never am.)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Kins posted:

There's no reloading, but you do need to open doors.

Personally, I map moving around the inventory to a button on the side of my mouse, and using inventory items to Middle Mouse.
Ah, thanks! I'll switch my reload button to inventory usage then. And there's no crouching right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Minidust posted:

And there's no crouching right?
It's not necessary, no. Might help, though.

Just received a big bag of bug fixes and improvements from the guy who did co-op support, so I might be able to squeeze out a update soon. The only new feature will be a "lobby" map for co-op, though, so you won't have to remember obscure map lumpnames.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Here's hoping that the goon wad project isn't dead yet. Checkpoint.wad!

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 31, 2012

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-30-doom-3-bfg-edition-announced-for-pc-ps3-xbox-360

Doom 3 to be re-released in a "BFG Edition" for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC! It includes big A/V enhancements, new levels, as well as Doom 1 & 2 in some capacity. Good timing for me, since I was about to start playing D3 on either Xbox 1 (ugly) or PC (no surround sound in my case).

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Never bothered to finish Doom 3, hopefully this new version will be better. I'm really glad the flashlight is mounted on the armor now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It also has a new seven-level "Lost Mission" campaign for Doom 3, ala Doom 2 XBLA's bonus episode. Nice to see that Id hasn't forgotten Doom 3, or how to make levels that aren't 20 loving gigabytes.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Sounds like they also removed the weird flashlight gimmick.

What are the chances of getting this as an upgrade to my existing copy?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Probably none but it does make things a little weird if this is released on Steam for all of the people who own the id super pack.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Convex posted:

Sounds like they also removed the weird flashlight gimmick.

What are the chances of getting this as an upgrade to my existing copy?

Slim, if they're doing "graphical upgrades" like the press release says.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

...since I was about to start playing D3 on either Xbox 1 (ugly)...

It was quite an achievement though. Squeezing the game onto such limited hardware was a very impressive feat. They even added a split-screen co-op campaign.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So, the new router hosted a game right off the bat. Can I get some guys to test it out to make sure?

GoonDoom - DTWID/BrutalDoom

71.88.44.16:34335

E: It's back up.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 31, 2012

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Christ, I really liked AEOD's randomizer and different guns and poo poo. Now I kinda wish there was something like it for stuff like Unreal and so on. Shame they decided to take out the classes in V6, it was fun blowing things away as a Weredragon or Robot.

Speaking of Unreal, giving it a try via this mod. (Playing it as a rabid velociraaptor or a Xenomorph feels so weird.) I like the level design, it's got nice touches and the enemies are a blast, even if the manta are annoying as gently caress.

Are there any single player mods for Quake 3 that don't suck? I looked at Carmack Fortress, but it was... poo poo.

Can that mod let me use Ballistic Weapons in Unreal 1? That would be glorious.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I noticed that Reelism used a pk7 file and QLZ didn't recognize it in the open dialog. WELL NO LONGER!

New release here: https://bitbucket.org/SavageMessiah/qlz/downloads/Launcher.exe

Note the move to bitbucket - it would loverly if The Kins would update the OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

an_mutt posted:

Here's hoping that the goon wad project isn't dead yet. Checkpoint.wad!

I ran this in gzdoom with Doom 2's wad and it seems to be missing textures. I like the thing you did with the sectors and floor textures. It seems a little cramped though.