Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ultima Underworld (Looking Glass 1992, 3D)

The game that started it all. Although not an FPS - UUW's closest descendants are Arx Fatalis and the Elder Scrolls games - an early tech demo of UUW inspired Carmack to create the engine that would be used in Catacomb 3D, and later, Wolfenstein 3D. Technically far ahead of its time, UUW supported 3d models, room-over-room, physics, and a limited form of dynamic lighting.

These days the interface has aged poorly, but the core gameplay is as fun as ever. Anyone with an interest in first-person action RPGs should check it out.

Get it at: GOG.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Awesome op, man!

Seconding Magic Carpet (not aladdin related) as well. It wasn't as popular as many others but it was pretty amazing for its time

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 23, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ I haven't played enough Magic Carpet to write an info block for it, but it's pretty sweet and deserves a mention in the OP.

Speaking of info blocks, here's the next one.

Pathways into Darkness (Bungie 1993, 2.5D)

Bungie's foray into first-person gaming. Before Marathon, there was Pathways; a strange shooter/puzzler hybrid with just a pinch of roguelike flavour, in which the player must descend through a pyramid formed from the dreams of an alien god, piecing together the plot from conversations with dead Nazis, in order to detonate a nuke and stun the creature.

I did say it was strange.

Pathways is a much slower and more methodical game than Marathon, focusing on careful exploration, measured use of tools, and smooth dodges rather than frenetic, high-speed shooting.

Get it at: The Macintosh Garden - Bungie used to sell it as part of the Mac Action Sack, but don't anymore.
You will need: a 68k or PPC Classic Mac emulator - Basilisk II is a good choice for the former. SheepShaver is the latter and, while harder to set up, will get you textured floors and ceilings.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
That was one of the best drat OP's I've seen on the forums, thanks The Kins for your great work! And you even included Thief!

This is a man who knows what's good. Definitely need to include Starsiege: Tribes in that list though, as a very unique 1998 competitive shooter that introduced or popularized many shooter concepts that are common today it certainly deserves a place. I'll do a little writeup on it sometime this weekend if nobody else does.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Another person adding that the OP is great. However i feel that 'fortress' deserves a bit more mentioning - the original (QWTF) was the real benchmark-setting point for online FPS gaming if you ask me. Q3F and TFC were also hugely popular. If i get time ill write up a piece on Q3F... they game that stole my 13 year old life.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Above Our Own posted:

This is a man who knows what's good. Definitely need to include Starsiege: Tribes in that list though, as a very unique 1998 competitive shooter that introduced or popularized many shooter concepts that are common today it certainly deserves a place. I'll do a little writeup on it sometime this weekend if nobody else does.

Tribes needs a mention, but I feel it incumbent upon me to mention that Terra Nova Did It First. :) Which is actually what the info block after this one is one.

For now, however, one of my favorite games of all time...

System Shock (Looking Glass 1994, 3D)

Looking Glass's first actual shooter. System Shock took the technology they had originally developed for Ultima Underworld and ran with it, creating a technically impressive and impeccably designed shooter. As one of the few survivors of a mad AI's rampage, you must fight your way through the decks of Citadel Station, scavenging weapons and cybernetic upgrades as you do so, before ultimately jacking in to cyberspace and defeating her. It's not a continuous-action game like Doom, but instead focused on tense exploration with frequent, intense, but brief firefights.

On the engine side, it supports true 3d world geometry, static and animated 3d models, physics, dynamic lighting, render-to-texture, variable gravity, leaning and crouching, and cyberspace sections with Descent-style 6DOF controls. And it came out in 1994.

Between the impressive engine, a wide variety of weapons and cybermods available, and a huge, atmospheric station to explore, this game has aged beautifully even without engine remakes. Any FPS fan who has somehow managed to miss this classic owes it to themselves to play it.

Get it at: SystemShock.org. This package includes DOSBOX and patches for high resolution support (800x600 recommended), key remapping, and mouselook. (It might show up on GOG someday, but hasn't yet.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One of the few mods/TC's I had played for Quake 1 was a gem called Shrak

http://www.shrak.com/shrak.html

I can't remember enough of it to do a full write up, but did anyone else play this? I remember it being fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrXelEifDLU

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 23, 2011

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Does Heavy Gear II count as an FPS? It is centred around mechs but it does seem a lot more shooter-y than other mech games and also the first game.

Annoying Question
Feb 18, 2011

Wizard Whateley posted:

Ok, thanks man. I'll see if I can't run setup.exe through dosbox. Not sure why it even uses it. Duke 3D seems to run fine without it.

I would recommend getting BMOUSE for the mouselook when playing build engine games in DOSbox. Also, there should be a shortcut to the setup on the GOG version.

Annoying Question fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 23, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (Looking Glass 1996, 3D)

Looking Glass's follow-up to System Shock, Terra Nova moves from the cramped hallways of Citadel Station to the sprawling outdoor landscapes of the Alpha Centauri colonies. As a member of Strike Force Centauri, you put on your power armour, fuel up your jump jets, choose your weapons, and lead a squad of four to victory over marauders, warlords, and even traitors in the SFC itself.

If you're looking at that description and thinking "hang on, that sounds a lot like a singleplayer Tribes", that's because it is - Terra Nova is the game that inspired the Tribes series (and later, Section 8). Unlike its descendants, however, it is entirely singleplayer, partnering you with a squad of surprisingly competent AI teammates for a lengthy singleplayer campaign or randomly generated skirmish missions.

Much more frenetic and actiony than Looking Glass's other games, Terra Nova still has plenty of depth (and, as with most of their games, is far ahead of its time technically as well). While not quite the classic that System Shock is, it's still an excellent game that has aged well, and if the thought of a good, meaty, Tribes-style single-player game appeals to you, you should play this.

Get it at: CD Access has about 400 copies left. Like System Shock, we might see it on GOG someday, but not yet.
You will need: DOSBOX

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Does Mechwarrior count? Or Descent? Or would they be considered simulators/piloting games

edit: see you mentioned Descent in the op already :allears:

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 23, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ack, before the last thread ended I was complaining about music and someone posted a couple of handy links leading to Doom 1 music projects and the old thread is completely lost. I never bothered with the links because it was kind of late and unbookmarked the thread without thinking.

Can anyone repost them?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Ack, before the last thread ended I was complaining about music and someone posted a couple of handy links leading to Doom 1 music projects and the old thread is completely lost. I never bothered with the links because it was kind of late and unbookmarked the thread without thinking.

Can anyone repost them?

http://www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/ Doom 1 and 2 using MIDI synthesizers and instruments like would be used for a band instead of the crappy MIDI synth in your cheap sound card.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28330 Remastered DOOM 1 music

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

Feel free to tell us all about them! I'll try to at least link awesome description posts in the OP.

Alright, here they are.

Ultima Underworld
Pathways into Darkness
System Shock
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri

Of these, if you play only one, make it System Shock. They're all good games, and all of historical interest to some degree or another, but System Shock is hands down the best game on that list, and not having played it is like forgetting to have played Quake, or Unreal Tournament.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 2, 2012

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I clicked on this thread for the express purpose of complaining about there not being any mention of Marathon or Pathways into Darkness, only to find that Marathon is in the OP and PiD is mentioned shortly after. Awesome OP and thanks to ToxicFrog for showing me that there's a way to run PiD on a modern machine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OH SWEET!

Thanks to this thread, I looked up Skulltag again, and now they have a Mac version!!

:toot: I know how I'm spending my free time now. Thanks, OP!

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
I like Real Guns Hardcore, a mod for gzDoom and Skulltag that brings the weapons from Modern Warfare 2 into Doom and Doom 2. It also replaces monsters with random harder versions. There was some controversy in the old thread about this mod, as some people were of the opinion that it ruined the feel of the game. I don't agree, but to each their own.

Anyway, it also adds reloading and knifing, as well as grenades. It's also in active development, so bugs and such will be fixed pretty often.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

Here's a gameplay video I posted right before the old thread closed: E1M1 of Ultimate Doom with Real Guns Harcore and gzDoom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM8U7Y1EXcw

It also works well with Oblige maps if you want random goodness, though the Cacodemon overlord can gently caress right off.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So I've been out of the loop for a bit, any more progress on FPS games ported to Wii? Quake was awesome as hell, is there a free-aiming version of Doom yet? Because that would just be awesome. Last I saw, the only port of Doom didn't let you aim, it was more or less just a straight port of the original and the wiimote just let you turn left and right.

What's funny is I tried playing Black Ops on the Wii, and it was god awful to me. The controls were laggy and inaccurate, it was ugly as sin, and just... blah. Good job, nerds, at outdoing the big guys with games from over a decade ago. :)

I always felt that motion controls would shine the brightest with FPS games, it seems like such a natural way to control them. Quake on the Wii is great, and playing MAG on the PS3 with the Move has been delightful. What we need are more classic FPS ports to the Wii, considering it can run most stuff people love in this thread, and it's almost effortless to hack.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Above Our Own posted:

Definitely need to include Starsiege: Tribes in that list though, as a very unique 1998 competitive shooter that introduced or popularized many shooter concepts that are common today it certainly deserves a place. I'll do a little writeup on it sometime this weekend if nobody else does.
Oh, gently caress. You're totally right. Especially since both games are more or less free nowadays. I'll get right on it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

http://www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/ Doom 1 and 2 using MIDI synthesizers and instruments like would be used for a band instead of the crappy MIDI synth in your cheap sound card.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28330 Remastered DOOM 1 music

Cool, thanks!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Can anyone repost them?

Also I sort of half-assed this 3DO music wad for Doom 1 together that only covers the twelve tracks that were actually in 3DO Doom. Wasn't sure which other maps to assign the 3DO tracks to, open to suggestions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Okay, added the Tribes series to the OP. I have Tribes Next, a masterserver and Vista fix for Tribes 1... what other cool poo poo should I have?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tooooooo bad posted:

Also I sort of half-assed this 3DO music wad for Doom 1 together that only covers the twelve tracks that were actually in 3DO Doom. Wasn't sure which other maps to assign the 3DO tracks to, open to suggestions.

Ah, I was looking for that too! Thanks.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Thanks a lot for this thread. :)

I've been playing Unreal Gold lately. I honestly didn't like the game much at first (had more fun with Tournament) but at some point it really grew on me. It has such a nice looking world and the art direction really appeals to me. Is the Steam version updated for modern systems or something? I noticed that it has detailed textures like I see in this Deus Ex launcher.

I hated that tower level though(forgot the name.) I got lost there a lot.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 23, 2011

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I clicked on this thread for the express purpose of complaining about there not being any mention of Marathon or Pathways into Darkness, only to find that Marathon is in the OP and PiD is mentioned shortly after. Awesome OP and thanks to ToxicFrog for showing me that there's a way to run PiD on a modern machine.

Exactly the same here, nice job on the OP.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

co199 posted:

I like Real Guns Hardcore, a mod for gzDoom and Skulltag that brings the weapons from Modern Warfare 2 into Doom and Doom 2. It also replaces monsters with random harder versions. There was some controversy in the old thread about this mod, as some people were of the opinion that it ruined the feel of the game. I don't agree, but to each their own.

Anyway, it also adds reloading and knifing, as well as grenades. It's also in active development, so bugs and such will be fixed pretty often.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

Here's a gameplay video I posted right before the old thread closed: E1M1 of Ultimate Doom with Real Guns Harcore and gzDoom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM8U7Y1EXcw

It also works well with Oblige maps if you want random goodness, though the Cacodemon overlord can gently caress right off.

Like I mentioned before, I'm on a mac, so I'm new to Skulltag (downloading it as soon as I get home) so I'm not 100% on this, but would this mod work for me? I'd love to play it.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Purple D. Link posted:

Thanks a lot for this thread. :)

I've been playing Unreal Gold lately. I honestly didn't like the game much at first (had more fun with Tournament) but at some point it really grew on me. It has such a nice looking world and the art direction really appeals to me. Is the Steam version updated for modern systems or something? I noticed that it has detailed textures like I see in this Deus Ex launcher.

I hated that tower level though(forgot the name.) I got lost there a lot.

The Sunspire? It was beautiful on the approach, and dwarfed almost everything up to that point, but yeah, the interior was a little hard to navigate.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

Unreal Tournament (or it may have only been later editions of it) came with an extra disk with a set of high-res textures on them. Only a couple of cards could use them at the time, but it's easy now with the modern renderers. I guess Unreal Gold might have them installed by default, but I have no idea if that's the case.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

NecroBob posted:

The Sunspire? It was beautiful on the approach, and dwarfed almost everything up to that point, but yeah, the interior was a little hard to navigate.
That was it. I kept wanting to call it the Sun Tower but that didn't seem right. I agree, it was great when you were approaching it, and getting to the highest point and seeing how far below the path you took to get there is was something. Actually being in the spire wasn't very fun to me though.

Mman posted:

Unreal Tournament (or it may have only been later editions of it) came with an extra disk with a set of high-res textures on them. Only a couple of cards could use them at the time, but it's easy now with the modern renderers. I guess Unreal Gold might have them installed by default, but I have no idea if that's the case.
The Steam version does anyway. I just set the textures to high and there, detailed textures.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Megalomaniacal AI with a lust for philosophy and alien death? There's an app for that - Marathon's coming to the iPad!

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Like I mentioned before, I'm on a mac, so I'm new to Skulltag (downloading it as soon as I get home) so I'm not 100% on this, but would this mod work for me? I'd love to play it.

It should, just set Skulltag to open with the .pk3. On Windows, it's adding a -file filename.pk3 switch. Skulltag / gzDoom also supports multiple wad and pk3 openings, so if it comes down to it just drag the doom or doom2 wad and the RGH pk3 onto the skulltag icon, should open them together. You'll know if the rgh pk3 works when the main doom screen has a MW2 soldier on it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I was only able to get RGH on my mac working by using the Doomseeker front end. Also there is an undocumented bug in mac skulltag where you have to place your IWADs in the same directory as skulltag.app.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
This thread makes me super happy!

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

UT with the MoreGore Mutator, InstaGib, and mildy retarded bots is my most favourite thing ever.

Edit: Now with a short, squishy video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-mh--zWQU

alien8 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 23, 2011

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
grognard.jpg:

I really do love old shooters. I feel like the genre hasn't produced as much gold as those early years, and I'm hoping we see a real rebound as gaming grows large enough to incorporate niche players.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Above Our Own posted:

grognard.jpg:

I really do love old shooters. I feel like the genre hasn't produced as much gold as those early years, and I'm hoping we see a real rebound as gaming grows large enough to incorporate niche players.

Is it bad that I know exactly what map that is on the left from a ten second look at it?

co199 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 23, 2011

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Your friend missed some critical marathon scenarios:

Marathon: RED
Made by Ian McConvil of MacHall fame, is probably one of the hardest out of the box Marathon total conversions out there, and surprisingly gorgeous to boot.

Marathon: EVIL
In production for Marathon Infinity before Marathon Infinity was released, it is more or less the definitive Marathon TC, illustrating how powerful the tools that were released with Inf could be (The lead designer for Evil was given the tools, Forge and Anvil in beta prior to their release)

I'll dig up some links to these when I get home.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Here's Red. Here's the player-edited Red 1.1, optionally. Here are delicious icon sets for Evil, Red and Rubicon.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

co199 posted:

Is it bad that I know exactly what map that is on the left from a ten second look at it?
E1M5? :)

It took me a little longer to guess, until I realised the structures on the right were the mazes you had to traverse to get to the yellow key [while also giving you a chance to skip it and go straight through a secret door earlier on!]

Reading these threads really hit home how many classic FPSes I've missed. I've played the really popular ones [Doom/Duke/Heretic/etc.] but very little 3D, and very few that were designed with anything other than the Doom engine. The next chance I get to kill some spare time I'm tackling a few of these puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Anyone know a working download link for AEOD? The one in the op links to a forum which links to filefront or whatever which just says "file not found" when i try to download it.