Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
After the thread was chatting it up I got distracted from Doom wads and got Quake running again to check out Dwell and Arcane Dimensions. It was a rough start to adjust to Quake's slower more deliberate gameplay vs Doom's more frantic running and gunning, but things are starting to click into place again. I have fond memories of playing OG Quake with White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000 in the CD drive, the first 4 or 5 tracks/levels line up really well.

Dwell E1 skybox

Even with lower enemy counts compared to Doom maps, sometimes poo poo gets wild

I wish every boomshoot had a QoL messaging system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

szary posted:

I will play Phantom Fury and like it, and then I'll post in this thread to defend its honor.

Just start editing your 2 hour long youtube video about how it was an under appreciated gem. Its not like you need more footage than was in the trailers, nobody else will ever play it to call you out.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not an issue because it’s not gonna come out

Bet you it does and when it does you gotta play it and post about it :clint:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Phantom Fury will come out, albeit in a state that could be politely described as "troubled". I would love to be proven both wrong and stupid on the latter part of that sentence.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I got this game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1435970/Anomalous/
from a bundle in Fanatical.com
Anyone can tell me how is it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

“Early access should last until the end of 2023”

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

“Early access should last until the end of 2023”

Game developers and making inaccurate date estimations about game production, name a more iconic duo!

(but at least they are on 0.9 version so it should be finished soonish)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive played daikatana several times and i have no desire to play phantom fury

like the appeal of old school shooters is the very basic gameplay feeling good and providing a good moment to moment experience (obviously something made up of tons of facets like map/sound/asset design) but theres been this wave of 'retro' shooters that just feel like poo poo. like i dont care how crunchy the pixels are if the entire thing feels like one of those steam store unity asset flips, people arent still playing quake just because it looks dated

its very frustrating to see all these games like graven and phantom fury that clearly have so much love put into the art and music side of things, only to be let down by the fact seemingly nobody cared how it plays.

also heres my verdict on wrath: its the modern day Hexen

- massive, poorly signposted levels
- lack of ammo means youre gonna be meleeing half the fuckin time, at least on Hard
- seen 70% of the enemy roster in the first 25 minutes
- awesome van-art style

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

- lack of ammo means youre gonna be meleeing half the fuckin time, at least on Hard

I don't agree with these two points, while the levels were massive and I rarely got lost or confused, relative at least to the size of the levels, so it wasn't that bad. And I completed the game with usually having my ammo levels at 70% without using the blade (except for the zombies).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

also heres my verdict on wrath: its the modern day Hexen

- seen 70% of the enemy roster in the first 25 minutes
- awesome van-art style

Ouch

At least it doesn’t have the fuckin shield centaurs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't agree with these two points, while the levels were massive and I rarely got lost or confused, relative at least to the size of the levels, so it wasn't that bad. And I completed the game with usually having my ammo levels at 70% without using the blade (except for the zombies).

I actively avoided using the melee weapon because I'd heard it was OP, and while ammo was frequently tight, I almost always had something to shoot at any given moment (on Hard as well).

On the other hand, there were multiple levels (particularly in Acts 2 & 3) where I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out where the gently caress I had to go next.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I will play Phantom Fury if it is good, otherwise I will not. Almost feels like people itt are hoping it's bad, kinda offputting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

I will play Phantom Fury if it is good, otherwise I will not. Almost feels like people itt are hoping it's bad, kinda offputting.

The demo was pretty bad which is why I think people are posting so negatively.

This post is spot on:

ive played daikatana several times and i have no desire to play phantom fury

like the appeal of old school shooters is the very basic gameplay feeling good and providing a good moment to moment experience (obviously something made up of tons of facets like map/sound/asset design) but theres been this wave of 'retro' shooters that just feel like poo poo. like i dont care how crunchy the pixels are if the entire thing feels like one of those steam store unity asset flips, people arent still playing quake just because it looks dated

its very frustrating to see all these games like graven and phantom fury that clearly have so much love put into the art and music side of things, only to be let down by the fact seemingly nobody cared how it plays.

Getting the movement and shooting down should be the first thing any of these devs does and it looks like that was the last thing Phantom Fury's development focused on.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Not really hoping we're just jaded by the devs' recent output and the demo for it being complete trash.

^^ I feel like Boltgun suffered from this quite a bit too, all looks and not really any substance... christ the level design is so bad in that game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sure, but they delayed the game specifically to work on those aspects and from what they've shown, it's considerably improved, even if I doubt the shooting will be the best of the best. But then again, neither was Half Life's, probably their biggest inspiration. My sticking point now will be whether the later levels are janky messes or not.

E: I played the demo too and thought it was trash, but I'd still rather hope that something improves than the alternative, and if i hasn't, I'll just shrug and move on.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 29, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I reached Act 3 of Wrath, played one level and just...kinda dropped it.

Bummer. Might go back and wrap it up just so I can tick it off the list, but doubt I will revisit it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I actively avoided using the melee weapon because I'd heard it was OP, and while ammo was frequently tight, I almost always had something to shoot at any given moment (on Hard as well).

On the other hand, there were multiple levels (particularly in Acts 2 & 3) where I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out where the gently caress I had to go next.

Well, I will add something my Wrath comments:
I wish for a game with unlimited max health/armor/ammo count, because I backtracked SO MUCH in Wrath to take ammo/health/armor pickups (that I had previously skipped because I was full the moment I saw them first).

Hell, at some point I was tempted to see if I could set a variable in the console to do it, given it's the Quake engine.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Mordja posted:

Sure, but they delayed the game specifically to work on those aspects and from what they've shown, it's considerably improved, even if I doubt the shooting will be the best of the best. But then again, neither was Half Life's, probably their biggest inspiration. My sticking point now will be whether the later levels are janky messes or not.

E: I played the demo too and thought it was trash, but I'd still rather hope that something improves than the alternative, and if i hasn't, I'll just shrug and move on.

There was a video I caught on YT a week or so ago of someone playing through an updated build of Phantom Fury and they seemed to think it had improved since the demo release? I never played the demo though so I couldn't compare. I thought it looked interesting enough but will wait for reviews as I normally do.

Also seconding a 2.5d fps-rpg yes please - there's a GzDoom mod called Abysm which is kind of RPGish, I've only played Abysm 2 and I loved a lot of the level design on that, some biiig environments https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=69682

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zthssUIFG6c

Doom on a satellite. Pretty cool.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

It's only a matter of time before someone plays Doom on Phobos.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dramicus posted:

It's only a matter of time before someone plays Doom on Phobos.

Please don't!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

This is a really cool video! I thought the point made at the end was pretty funny. The more they screenshots they want to take of the game with a photo of earth, the closer the drag it back down to the atmosphere.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

I got this game
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1435970/Anomalous/
from a bundle in Fanatical.com
Anyone can tell me how is it?
it's on my wishlist but i haven't gotten it yet, I might get that bundle for it. there's something weirdly quaint about the art style and how it's like... both lo-fi and maximalist at the same time. i don't expect anything great but, i'll always give one-person games a shot

devilated is the other one on my wishlist that's a similar situation, although that's been slower in development and I think anomalous is technically content complete, just not polished or feature complete yet (i think the dev intends to adjust some of chapters 1 and 2 now that they've finished chapter 3, much like viscerafest's status right now)

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Phantom Fury is just doing the Doom 2016 trick. Terrible first impressions, a demo that misrepresents it, and no faith in the developers. Then it comes out and opinion is going to 180.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Flubby posted:

Phantom Fury is just doing the Doom 2016 trick. Terrible first impressions, a demo that misrepresents it, and no faith in the developers. Then it comes out and opinion is going to 180.

That would rule tbh

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of, where's QVAKE 2024?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Flubby posted:

That would rule tbh

Yeah, I remember when DOOM 2016 came out and this happened. It started off as a slow... "Wait a minute everyone...this...is actually pretty good??" and then just exploded.

Cool times.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

People forget that it looked like poo poo until Nvidia released proper gameplay of it to promote Vulkan and that's what turned it around pre-release.

The updated Phantom Fury trailer still looks like the same dogshit from the demo.

Like up until this point we had gotten a really lame looking E3 trailer and a poorly received multiplayer demo and then Nvidia puts out a better marketing video than anything Bethesda did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrvBD4aTGY

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people probably shouldn't try to mindgame themselves into it somehow being the best game ever before it's even out just due to brand recognition and flying in the face of literally every sign pointing elsewhere. that's not really healthy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goldeneye's multiplayer, and I believe a few more features, ended up getting famously added in within the last 6 months.

I don't know if that's going to be Phantom Fury's deal (not multiplayer, but a significant upgrade or work done on the game itself last minute), but hey, it's maybe possible?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
When Phantom Fury comes out and is the greatest FPS of the last three years, the line of naysayers who will be forced to eat their hat will disappear over the horizon and I will tirelessly work to ensure each and every one eats their hat

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

UnknownMercenary posted:

People forget that it looked like poo poo until Nvidia released proper gameplay of it to promote Vulkan and that's what turned it around pre-release.

The updated Phantom Fury trailer still looks like the same dogshit from the demo.

Like up until this point we had gotten a really lame looking E3 trailer and a poorly received multiplayer demo and then Nvidia puts out a better marketing video than anything Bethesda did.

I remember they showed Doom 2016 with E3 gameplay, so it was played with a controller and really slow. It had the gore, but the gameplay seemed almost like it was going at Doom 3 pace again. It was such a strange way to market that game, I didn't have high hopes for it til this nvidia video

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bethesda's marketing department is a torrid, unpredictable, cocaine-vacuuming beast that embodies chaos.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Bethesda's marketing department is a torrid, unpredictable, cocaine-vacuuming beast that embodies chaos.

You'd think that would make them better at making action game trailers :raise:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I correctly predicted the game would rule, so I've got that going for me. Just based on reading into stuff devs said and using my imagination on what little we had seen of the SP etc, and having liked every game id had released at that point (even Rage was solid).

And I do remember trying to suggest these things to the hordes of kooky trolls calling it Retard 4 or whatever, wild stuff. Not to say anyone is wrong for thinking it looked bad, it's just it wasn't the only way to look at it, I thought it was gonna rule. People were pretty unruly in the early thread at the time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWqDe7I5T98

e:
Quake Dwell serving up some FPS fanservice:
https://i.imgur.com/Md69oCW.mp4

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 30, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

UnknownMercenary posted:

Looking at it again, that motion blur is awful. Some of it might be video compression but I'm confident that most of that mess is intentional. No idea why people like that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
They made a point with Doom Eternal of showing off Kb+M after only showing controller play, I think after like a week solid of it at that years E3. Like literally hopped on stage at an Nvidia event with the footage saying "OK here's kb and mouse for you sickos" Which showed SOMEONE was awake at the time at least

(And then they left things weird with Mick Gordon :/ )

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Quake Dwell serving up some FPS fanservice:
https://i.imgur.com/Md69oCW.mp4

lol

some time later, shub-niggurath, cthon and a vore sit around a boardroom table discussing the latest internal audit report, which has controversially recommended that staff come into the workplace on a regular basis to prevent asset theft rather than just teleporting in from home when an alarm goes off

Convex fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shoehead posted:

They made a point with Doom Eternal of showing off Kb+M after only showing controller play, I think after like a week solid of it at that years E3. Like literally hopped on stage at an Nvidia event with the footage saying "OK here's kb and mouse for you sickos" Which showed SOMEONE was awake at the time at least

(And then they left things weird with Mick Gordon :/ )

I've heard some people say it plays better on controller (granted these are peeps in the PS5 thread etc), and I myself have only played Eternal on controller. Controller stuff is good. But I get that fast frantic videos get you cats pumped up.