Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well after the umpteenth mention of Masters of Doom, I finally bought it just now. Thanks, thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

an_mutt posted:

He specifically worked in a morgue, if I recall correctly.

That's metal as gently caress

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm hanging out in the CTS Mumble under the channel Old School FPS. Drop by for some Zandronum(Doomseeker) action!

Zandronum download
CTS info

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 15, 2014

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

McDowell posted:

In 'Masters of Doom' I think they mention one of the designers looking at car accident pictures for inspiration.

I don't know about Adrian Carmack, but I do know that the developers of Dead Space used photo's of bodies mangled in car crashes as inspiration when designing the monsters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

bbcisdabomb posted:

I really enjoyed the UT3 story mode.

Of course, I played it coop with three other people and we were all laughing at how stupid the goddamn plot was, and ended up with the most tense game of CTF I have ever been in when the host accidently played the Instagib card on the second-to-last map. Three minutes later, we're down 0-2. Twenty minutes after that, we win 3-2. It was the best round of UT3 I have ever played.

Then the final level came around and it was stupid again.

I would have liked UT3 story mode, except that on the harder difficulties it's literally impossible by yourself. On team-based modes the enemies are too good and your teammates are too lovely. Especially on team deathmatch, where your team will just be feeding kills to the other team. You managed to get 3 other people together to play it, I actually envy you. I have UT3 just sitting in my steam window, taunting me forever. I really liked that game :smith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would have liked UT3 story mode, except that on the harder difficulties it's literally impossible by yourself. On team-based modes the enemies are too good and your teammates are too lovely. Especially on team deathmatch, where your team will just be feeding kills to the other team. You managed to get 3 other people together to play it, I actually envy you. I have UT3 just sitting in my steam window, taunting me forever. I really liked that game :smith:

I wouldn't mind installing it again if I could play it coop. UT3 is by far the one I spent less time with. UT99 and 2k4 were really good, hell even the original UT has a fantastic mp.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

FoxMod has a special config that automatically makes your teammates very smart in story mode. The mod also makes the bots a lot better in general, gives UT3 proper widescreen support, and activates split-screen mode. It's worth installing if you liked UT3 even a little bit.

Guillermus posted:

I wouldn't mind installing it again if I could play it coop. UT3 is by far the one I spent less time with. UT99 and 2k4 were really good, hell even the original UT has a fantastic mp.

Surprisingly, Unreal 1 deathmatch is still somewhat active. There's a handful of DM servers that get players once in a while. Granted, it's mostly DmDeck16 and a few custom maps over and over, but it is there and people play it. There have been some attempts to get co-op players on DM servers, but I'm not sure how successful they've been.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Speaking of, Unreal games are on GOG for only $2.50 each

*meaning Unreal 1, Unreal 2, and UT1

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 16, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I don't know about Adrian Carmack, but I do know that the developers of Dead Space used photo's of bodies mangled in car crashes as inspiration when designing the monsters.
The Left 4 Dead 2 team tried doing this when making the zombie textures, with photos of skin diseases and such, but they had trouble bringing themselves to actually open the "nightmare folder" and as such never actually used it.

In the end, they used pictures of housing insulation and potato skins as reference. :haw:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

The Left 4 Dead 2 team tried doing this when making the zombie textures, with photos of skin diseases and such, but they had trouble bringing themselves to actually open the "nightmare folder" and as such never actually used it.

In the end, they used pictures of housing insulation and potato skins as reference. :haw:

Honestly, fungus and rotting things trigger a greater reaction in me than shock photos. When I see something like a wall being ripped down and all the mold and poo poo growing on the panel my skin crawls.

I wish more video games did body horror. To keep this on topic, System Shock 2's cyber-organic nightmares and the progressive transformation of zombies in Half-Life hit me hard when they came out. I also thought the transformation scene in Quake 4 was the sole redeeming factor of an otherwise generic game.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Prey does body horror rather well in my opinion, and Quake 2 probably would've triggered a better reaction for it had the game been more detailed. Stroggs are basically all about the body horror, in fact it's how they reproduce.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Segmentation Fault posted:

Prey does body horror rather well in my opinion, and Quake 2 probably would've triggered a better reaction for it had the game been more detailed. Stroggs are basically all about the body horror, in fact it's how they reproduce.

Showcasing Prey:

"Yeah, the game's pretty crazy with physics and portals and stuff...like, okay, here I am walking on the 'ceiling', but everybody else is still 'upside down'. It's pretty wild. There's some weird poo poo that happens, too, like teleporting to a 'spirit world' in order to circumvent obstacles. Oh yeah, and here are the doors that look like bumpy wet vulva. In another minute or two, we'll get to pass through some gates that look like giant, greased up assholes."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked Prey when I played it, probably wouldn't like it now but one of the latter bosses your girlfriend reminded me of a similar character from Slither, one of my favorite horror films of the last decade.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

I liked Prey when I played it, probably wouldn't like it now but one of the latter bosses your girlfriend reminded me of a similar character from Slither, one of my favorite horror films of the last decade.

I consistently confuse that particular boss with the very similar Voss boss from Quake 4.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Apparently there is some news about Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction!

Apparently now it's not a Duke Nukem game and there's a new countdown, and apparently “We have never officially announced anything in relation to Duke.”

Sure guys. Sure.

Edit: I ended up checking the prices for Music to Score By on Amazon and discovered a harp cover of Grabbag.

catlord fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 16, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

Apparently there is some news about Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction!

Apparently now it's not a Duke Nukem game and there's a new countdown, and apparently “We have never officially announced anything in relation to Duke.”

Sure guys. Sure.

Edit: I ended up checking the prices for Music to Score By on Amazon and discovered a harp cover of Grabbag.

Rumor is that they replaced Duke with Bombshell, the girl that appears in the 1998 DNF trailers. It would make sense, since the site shows an image of a bomb. Guess it turns out the saying they did still own the Duke Nukem franchise was a crock of poo poo. Who would've thought?

Bouchacha posted:

Speaking of, Unreal games are on GOG for only $2.50 each

*meaning Unreal 1, Unreal 2, and UT1

Oooh, thanks. I need a non-Steam version of UT99 (and maybe U1 just in case).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

closeted republican posted:

Rumor is that they replaced Duke with Bombshell, the girl that appears in the 1998 DNF trailers. It would make sense, since the site shows an image of a bomb. Guess it turns out the saying they did still own the Duke Nukem franchise was a crock of poo poo. Who would've thought?

Perhaps it's more complicated than that? Like, Gearbox own the trademark for the game but not the assets/materials. Sort of a Wonderboy/Adventure Island situation.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I still think they should have gone for the ultimate irony and made Duke Newcomb as they originally planned when they found out Duke Nukem was a Captain Planet character.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

al-azad posted:

I still think they should have gone for the ultimate irony and made Duke Newcomb as they originally planned when they found out Duke Nukem was a Captain Planet character.

Duke Newcomb sporting a new hairstyle would be a great parody.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Fred Schreiber from Interceptor has been digging up a ton of old stuff from when Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior was being developed from 3DR's archives. Here's some of the neat poo poo he's found:

A fuckload of Duke Nukem 3D development builds:

Shadow Warrior beta from 1996:

Early Duke Nukem 3D logos:

High-res Lo Wang art:

Old Shadow Warrior boxart idea:

More over at http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7366-duke3d-sw-earlyalphabetagold-material/

I'm hoping he'll be able to release most of it sometime down the line.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah no kidding. Digging through this stuff would keep the fans occupied for months.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hanging on the CTS mumble, OG FPS channel, playing some doom wads. Come join us!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Fred Schreiber from Interceptor has been digging up a ton of old stuff from when Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior was being developed from 3DR's archives. Here's some of the neat poo poo he's found:

A fuckload of Duke Nukem 3D development builds:

Shadow Warrior beta from 1996:

Early Duke Nukem 3D logos:

High-res Lo Wang art:

Old Shadow Warrior boxart idea:

More over at http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7366-duke3d-sw-earlyalphabetagold-material/

The best part about this is that it confirms that George Broussard was straight up lying to me when he said there were no betas still kicking around 3DR. What an rear end in a top hat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

The best part about this is that it confirms that George Broussard was straight up lying to me when he said there were no betas still kicking around 3DR. What an rear end in a top hat.
A lot of Old FPS Studio bosses seem pretty pissy about old prototypes. I know Mark Rein apparently does NOT like the fact that old Unreal protos are floating around the internet.

Fred mentions in that thread he's working with the community to get some of this cool stuff in order. I can't wait!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

A lot of Old FPS Studio bosses seem pretty pissy about old prototypes. I know Mark Rein apparently does NOT like the fact that old Unreal protos are floating around the internet.

Fred mentions in that thread he's working with the community to get some of this cool stuff in order. I can't wait!

I think Mark Rein is pissed about betas because the February 1998 beta comes from a demonstration he did at Canada. When the demonstration was over, he wiped the system, but someone managed to get their hands on the computer Rein used, recovered the version of Unreal he was showing off, and distributed it. Georgie B is just an rear end in a top hat.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I got to be honest, the old 3DR guys get a metric ton of e-mails from real :spergin: types asking for old betas - at that point I don't blame them for running out of patience and just denying their existence anymore.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jblade posted:

I got to be honest, the old 3DR guys get a metric ton of e-mails from real :spergin: types asking for old betas - at that point I don't blame them for running out of patience and just denying their existence anymore.

There wasn't as much interest in prototypes back then from the general internet populace, but The Cutting Room Floor shows that interest in the development of games is higher than it used to be. It's a really interesting website and I see it linked to quite a lot, even on more mainstream websites.

I guess attitudes might be a bit different now. It's purely a history preservation thing now, piracy or copyright infringement isn't really on any ones minds. There's nothing particularly nefarious you can do with anything being released so why not let the nerds document stuff?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jblade posted:

True. A lot of beta "researchers" are just teenagers trying to look smart and cool by hoarding "exotic" versions of games they likely don't own. There's a small core of people that actually care and bust their asses trying to find and document betas, but the kiddies that have the social graces of a man on fire sour the well.

quote:

There wasn't as much interest in prototypes back then from the general internet populace, but The Cutting Room Floor shows that interest in the development of games is higher than it used to be. It's a really interesting website and I see it linked to quite a lot, even on more mainstream websites.

I guess attitudes might be a bit different now. It's purely a history preservation thing now, piracy or copyright infringement isn't really on any ones minds. There's nothing particularly nefarious you can do with anything being released so why not let the nerds document stuff?

From what I've read, people back during the Usenet days really did not care about betas. In fact, betas tended to piss them off because they weren't the final game. It's a different story now that the games have been out for years and tech has advanced enough that it's easy to research them, even if they don't have things like editors included. In fact, a lot of game betas are on a time limit thanks to whatever storage medium they were on likely getting close to degrading to the point where they're unreadable. For example, a Lufia 2 beta corrupted itself while it was being researched, but it's been fixed.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Had a great deal of fun playing Stronghold and All Out War with some goons last night. We should really make a weekly event. There are so many quality wads to try.

If you haven't, join the classic games and mods group on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men/members

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 17, 2014

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kazvall posted:

Had a great deal of fun playing Stronghold and All Out War with some goons last night. We should really make a weekly event. There are so many quality wads to try.

If you haven't, join the classic games and mods group on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men/members

Sorry I could only stick around for a couple missions. It was really fun, for sure. I could definitely get more involved on weekend late nights.

Thanks for the invite. :)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Looks like they're going to try to release the betas. They're recruiting people from the community to crack some encrypted files so they can release the files they have the rights to.

So now that Interceptor straight-up owns 3DRealms and the rights to Duke 3D, will they finally be able to release 3D Reloaded? Or is Gearbox still trying to stop that?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Kazvall posted:

Ah, drat, I wish I hadn't missed it.
Hopefully I can catch you guys next time.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Looks like one of the DN3D betas has been given to someone else:

and

quote:

TerminX are currently looking through the old betas of Duke3D
He found a lot of gold.

His exact words: "there's enough content here to make a whole extra game." :)

We're going to put something really cool together for you guys!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
TerminX is the guy who heads up eDuke32. He's a man who knows his Duke3D, so if he's excited...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I remember getting really excited about LameDuke getting released back in 1997, up until the point where I finally finished downloading it. Turns out it was called that for a good reason :v:

Anyway, releases of tis kinda thing will always be exciting to me and I'm really glad Interceptor are keen on releasing it. Some of the pre release Doom builds are super interesting, especially the first few when it looked like a completely different game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Ah, drat, I wish I hadn't missed it.
Hopefully I can catch you guys next time.

Want to do some sort of "event" tonight?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Kazvall posted:

Want to do some sort of "event" tonight?

Sure, I'm down with that.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I'm also up for some Doomin' tonight. Any wad ideas? I'll try anything.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I too am down to doom in a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Stronghold, all out war, metroid, updated/fixed hexen coop, many coop map packs with samsara or other assorted class wads, dragon ball z, master of puppets... Too many.

Edit: I started an event in the steam group. Join channel GoonDoom in CTS mumble for some multiplayer doom!

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 19, 2014