Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
It's Friday, get in mumble and Doom with us. :megadeath:

e:streaming if you want to preview the fun http://www.twitch.tv/jerkstoresup

Done for tonight, come back next time y'all.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kudos to Terminus for making the really awesome Metroid wad! He's now hosting Stronghold so we can start fresh.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Where do I get the cool Metroid wad?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I just downloaded it from doomseeker by joining a Metroid server.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

straight jerkers posted:

Where do I get the cool Metroid wad?

http://static.best-ever.org/wads/te13-metroiddreadnought-alpha1.777b.pk3 - Please run in Zandronum.
It's still in alpha, so some stuff isn't quite done, but if there's things that concern you or that you'd like to see, please let me know.

EDIT: Also, when in-game, hit F1 to see a special move-list.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 19, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

http://static.best-ever.org/wads/te13-metroiddreadnought-alpha1.777b.pk3 - Please run in Zandronum.
It's still in alpha, so some stuff isn't quite done, but if there's things that concern you or that you'd like to see, please let me know.

This guy is too modest. It feels almost like a final release!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I watched a few rounds of that stream of your server. Looked like good fun. I suppose I should've joined. *shrug*

Went ahead and checked out the Metroid mod and ran through a good ten or so levels of Zone 300 with it. Pretty good stuff.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

TerminusEst13 posted:

EDIT: Also, when in-game, hit F1 to see a special move-list.

I'm having trouble getting it to start. I select New Game and then my difficulty, and the intro plays a little bit. Afterward, it says "Press ESC to start" and doing so just puts me back at the menu. I am using Zandronum to run the game, I'm not sure what else to try.

Edit: VVV Thanks :) VVV

Chinook fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 19, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Got tripped up there too, but the answer's straightforward enough: press "Y".

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What was the name of the wad where you sequentially unlock and play as each of the doom enemies, the one from a few nights ago?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I'm going to throw a bit of non-Doom talk in here. :aaa:

Today I spent a good whack of time playing around with the qbism Super8 Quake Engine: http://super8.qbism.com/

Super8 is a software-renderer engine, but it supports widescreen and is otherwise a nice "modern" engine with good menus, plays well with Windows Vista/7, etc. It's special hook is that it is not trying to be a faithful-graphics engine, or even support a giant grab bag of features like DarkPlaces. Instead it looks like the author has a very specific crunchy lo-fi look that they're aiming for. The most obvious difference is an 8-bit color palette but that's not the only change by a long shot.

It's also a perfectly serviceable NetQuake multiplayer engine, probably not one you'd want to use for real multiplayer but it works with bots like Omicron and FrikBot.

Cool video of Super8 on the map "honey": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sTRO31UCA

Screenshot on the map "The Ivory Tower", with some fisheye enabled:

I also tried out Engoo: http://leileilol.mancubus.net/engoo/

Engoo is another software-renderer engine; it's been around for a while but only got a build compatible with post-XP Windows at the end of last year. Like Super8, it supports widescreen and a bunch of rendering modes/options, but kind of in a "pick and mix" fashion. One neat feature though (although I can't really say how accurate) is that it has a collection of presets for these options, so that you can choose whether you want your game to look like Quake 1.01, Quake 1.07, GLQuake, Quake64, or a few other things.

I don't think I'd use these for general-purpose Quake-ing, but it was fun to kick the tires. I've rolled their info into the guides that I maintain over in Steam-land (http://steamcommunity.com/id/jlaw/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides&appid=2310).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow, nice. Yeah OpenGL kind of ruins Quake engine games with too much filtering.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Speaking of, I was wanting to play an absolute load of single player FPS games. I figured this would be a great place to ask for some old-school single player FPS games that won't completely be broken on Windows 8.1 (with any amount of tweaking). Including games like Quake or Unreal. I only recently replayed Doom but that was the Xbox 360 release so I have no clue if it was any different than my childhood memory of Doom (which was actually on the PS1, funny enough).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Doom/Quake work fine on modern PCs with source ports. For Doom/Doom2, most popular are GZDoom (for mods), and PRBoom+ (I prefer this for level sets that use unmodded gameplay). I think Darkplaces is the most popular Quake sourceport, though there are no doubt more out there.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thanks to Steam and GOG many old games can be played on newer operating systems without hassle. Play System Shock 1 and 2!

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

mod sassinator posted:

Wow, nice. Yeah OpenGL kind of ruins Quake engine games with too much filtering.

FWIW, almost all hardware-accelerated Quake engines can be convinced to dial back the texture filtering with the console command "gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR" (or "gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST" for the unreasonably-purist). It may not be saved to config.cfg though, in which case you should put it into your autoexec.cfg.

Edit: Quaddicted has the 411 @ https://www.quaddicted.com/engines/software_vs_glquake#texture_filtering

JLaw fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 20, 2014

Reive
May 21, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

qbism Super8, Engoo
Engoo is freakin' rad, I like super8 a lot but there's some minor things that bothered me about it that Engoo fixes, plus being able to turn down the virtual resolution is kinda awesome:

If only it also supported fisheye.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ularg posted:

Speaking of, I was wanting to play an absolute load of single player FPS games. I figured this would be a great place to ask for some old-school single player FPS games that won't completely be broken on Windows 8.1 (with any amount of tweaking). Including games like Quake or Unreal. I only recently replayed Doom but that was the Xbox 360 release so I have no clue if it was any different than my childhood memory of Doom (which was actually on the PS1, funny enough).

Clearly the answer is to play more Marathon :colbert:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Along with Doom, Quake, and Marathon: Duke 3D is fine on Win7 using EDuke32 (http://eduke32.com/), and good fun too.

I played the GOG version a while back... I believe it used DOSbox though, so I just yoinked its data files and used EDuke32. It's also available on Steam now.

I'm happy with how Doom/Quake/Duke have held up for me. IMO Marathon is not quite in the same weight class when it comes to "evergreen replayability" -- much or all of which could be blamed on the lingering technical issues that I think we've discussed in this thread. It's still worth a play though, and as the only free game series of the bunch it would be a shame not to try it. If you're dubious about it then maybe skip straight to Marathon 2.

Edit: I think we're in danger of just recapping the thread's OP.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

RyokoTK posted:

Clearly the answer is to play more Marathon :colbert:

I have the Marathon games. But I'm stuck on like level 4 or something? The level starts and the only way forward is the trash compactor that kills you. I love the game otherwise but I'm too stubborn just to look a guide up for that tiny part. I've been playing blind before that and planned to play blind after that since I never really played it before.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ularg posted:

I have the Marathon games. But I'm stuck on like level 4 or something? The level starts and the only way forward is the trash compactor that kills you. I love the game otherwise but I'm too stubborn just to look a guide up for that tiny part. I've been playing blind before that and planned to play blind after that since I never really played it before.

Secret door in the compactor room. Run along the walls while spamming the action key, you'll find it.

If you're going to do this totally blind, I can't wait to hear about how Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap goes :haw:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Kazvall posted:

Thanks to Steam and GOG many old games can be played on newer operating systems without hassle. Play System Shock 1 and 2!
Is System Shock 1 available on Steam or GOG? I haven't heard any mention of it on either service, but I don't keep a super close eye on any of their new releases unless it's a sleeper hit (Goat Simulator for example) and/or something old that I've heard is good. :confused:

Fag Boy Jim posted:

For Doom/Doom2, most popular are GZDoom (for Reelism)
Fixed it for ya! ;)

Seriously, Reelism is one of the few things I think should be required if you have Doom 2 and GZDoom on your computer (or at least on Steam). It's made by fellow goon The Kins (and maybe some other guys/goons), and is great if you want something insane, silly, and arcadey that you want to just play without having to worry about stuff like storyline or character development.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Reelism is probably the best new FPS I've played in recent years. If you can manage to get it working in coop mode (it doesn't work on Zandronum so the netcode is finicky and you have to mess with command line options, and I think one of the maps doesn't have coop starts) it's an absolute blast with friends, too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ularg posted:

my childhood memory of Doom (which was actually on the PS1, funny enough).

Get GZDoom and the PSX Doom TC.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Ularg posted:

I only recently replayed Doom but that was the Xbox 360 release so I have no clue if it was any different than my childhood memory of Doom (which was actually on the PS1, funny enough).

For reference it probably was way different, the 360 release is a port of the original Doom, and the one you played on the PS1 was probably this beast, which had (most of) Doom and Doom 2's levels, and some original content to boot. The sound effects and music tracks were also different, generally considered more ambient and less heavy metal. It's a different, but equally awesome Doom experience. On UV difficulty, Doom 2 monsters were added to Doom maps! :black101:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Also if you've got Duke, you can grab Eduke32 which runs on pretty much all of the operating systems around and then check out mods like the DNF 2013 mod which is a recreation of the 2001 DNF trailer in classic Duke, WGRealms2 which is a mash-up of Hexen, Quake and Duke, and my project AMC TC which is standalone and doesn't feature Duke but is pretty much a love letter to 90's FPS gaming (actually I'm fairly sure WGR2 is standalone too)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If you're in a Duke mood, the Duke Nukem 64 mod is definitely worth your time. It's a port of everything in the N64 of Duke Nukem to the PC. In practice, it's a remix of regular DN3D with new weapons and altered levels. Alternate ammo has been added as well, which makes weapons like the pistol and shotgun much stronger than they usually are. If you want a slight twist on the original campaign, this mod is worth a play.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Keiya posted:

Reelism is probably the best new FPS I've played in recent years. If you can manage to get it working in coop mode (it doesn't work on Zandronum so the netcode is finicky and you have to mess with command line options, and I think one of the maps doesn't have coop starts) it's an absolute blast with friends, too.
Yeah, Kinsie really knocked that one out of the park.

But it actually does work on Zandronum! ...sort of. You have to get a special build of Reelism (didn't really change much of anything from what I've heard but whatever) and use a Zandronum 2.0 beta, but it works.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So playing some duke 3d on steam co-op with pals, any recommended levels to tackle that will surprise at least two of us who played duke to death? :getin:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Thyrork posted:

So playing some duke 3d on steam co-op with pals, any recommended levels to tackle that will surprise at least two of us who played duke to death? :getin:

If you're looking at just Workshop maps, the Ultimate Stadium Remake (Megaton Edition) and Beach CBP are both great for co-op. They have a ton of monsters in them and really good visuals. Beach CBP has more diverse enemies, weapons, and environments compared to Stadium remake, but they're both really fun. Beach CBP might crash while it's loading, but keep at it; it'll eventually load.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Duke 3D co-op is awesome, its too bad most of the other classic FPS releases on steam (Doom, Quake, etc) don't have steam integration like that. Does the classic Shadow Warrior have easy steam co-op as well?

It seems like kind of a pain to get coop working with all the different source ports and whatnot. Steam makes it simple.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

dat one portagee posted:

Duke 3D co-op is awesome, its too bad most of the other classic FPS releases on steam (Doom, Quake, etc) don't have steam integration like that. Does the classic Shadow Warrior have easy steam co-op as well?

It seems like kind of a pain to get coop working with all the different source ports and whatnot. Steam makes it simple.

I tend to disagree. Zandronum is the only multiplayer frontend you need. Its easy to setup. You just show it where your doom/heretic/hexen wads are and it downloads any custom files from the server without hassle. Try it out, man. Also keep in mind anything you play on steam will be super vanilla. I literally only use zandronum.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Steam just ships the original executables for Doom and Quake because both games have very long histories of source ports. often with quite different actual multiplayer setups from each other.

Duke 3D never had that much variation in the playerbase, which was probably why a single modern source port thing was agreed upon for the steam release.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Doom/Quake work fine on modern PCs with source ports. For Doom/Doom2, most popular are GZDoom (for mods), and PRBoom+ (I prefer this for level sets that use unmodded gameplay). I think Darkplaces is the most popular Quake sourceport, though there are no doubt more out there.

Although you might be correct on popularity, I wouldn't recommend Darkplaces as it's a bit far altered from a normal Quake engine - things fall out of maps and weird glitches arise. If you want something a modern but faithful engine, fitzquake is the "Quake mapper's choice".

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
And that's a good example of the port-variety mentioned above. While Fitzquake (and its descendants QuakeSpasm and Fitzquake Mark V) are good for singleplayer, they're not widely used for multiplayer. They do have multiplayer support and are probably perfectly fine in many circumstances, but the folks who still play MP over the internet tend to use other ports like ezQuake (for QuakeWorld) and ProQuake (for non-QW).

It would be an interesting exercise to figure out how Steam Quake should be best distributed to take advantage of modern ports "out of the box"... but if I had to guess, I doubt that's the reason that Quake (or Doom) are vanilla program-dumps on Steam. More likely just apathy. Even without going whole hog with a modern sourceport, the Quake programs could be wrapped or modified in certain small ways that would make a big difference -- like providing the soundtrack music, or making it easy to set video resolution for the GL engines -- and id/Bethesda haven't bothered.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

Kazvall posted:

I tend to disagree. Zandronum is the only multiplayer frontend you need. Its easy to setup. You just show it where your doom/heretic/hexen wads are and it downloads any custom files from the server without hassle. Try it out, man. Also keep in mind anything you play on steam will be super vanilla. I literally only use zandronum.

I'll admit, I haven't tried zandronum, I've just stuck with zDoom. I'll give that a shot

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

dat one portagee posted:

I'll admit, I haven't tried zandronum, I've just stuck with zDoom. I'll give that a shot

Bust it out and we'll play some multiplayer later.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Yeah Zandronum is pretty much the best option when it comes to Doom multiplayer right now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
What happened to Skulltag? That one was really popular a few years ago. Not super faithful to the gameplay of the original, but was a lot of fun from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

What happened to Skulltag? That one was really popular a few years ago. Not super faithful to the gameplay of the original, but was a lot of fun from what I remember.

It exploded. Zandronum is basically the successor to it.