Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

It kind of depends on the build type you're going for. The transparency means it's pretty hard to screw it up, and you can always respec for half your cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

...in terms of technology, Aleph One is still kind of poo poo compared to gzDoom or eDuke32; the mouse controls are weird in a way that's hard to describe but really aggravating, the renderer is still 2.5D (shear pitch with hard degree limits), and you can't save except at save points. And the developers are openly hostile to any efforts to fix this.

I believe they were mocking crosshairs as well. It sucks when your source port is staffed by crusty grognards.

I'm going to guess there aren't any cheap hacks to get around that? People are still cranking out maps for Marathon, after all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bouchacha posted:

DoomRPG + Doom Arsenal is absurdly fun jesus christ. I now have a reason to play through Hellbound's levels.

drat straight it is. I'm playing through Whispers of Satan right now and having a blast!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

JackMackerel posted:

I believe they were mocking crosshairs as well. It sucks when your source port is staffed by crusty grognards.

I'm going to guess there aren't any cheap hacks to get around that? People are still cranking out maps for Marathon, after all.

There is a crosshair though? I think it's like f8 to change in game, and it should be in one of the preferences menu before you start. I'm pretty sure you can do hacks to allow saving anywhere, and even jumping, but they want all the existing stuff to work just like it did on an old PPC Mac.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cerepol posted:

Any suggestions for Stats in DoomRPG? Been kinda just pumping EP to get enough for some skills and then agility or luck.

I put Vitality, EP, and Capacity to 20, and then pump Luck like crazy. The chance for end-game shield drops and augmentation pieces without dropping 500k on them is really useful, especially once you're like level 40 and Revenants do 300 damage per missile.

JackMackerel posted:

You press F8 to bring them up. There's a setting under player preferences to change the size and color of the crosshair too.

But yes, crusty grognards is the most accurate way to describe the two devs. Here's a good one: in vanilla Marathon 2, there was a limit as to how many active enemies there could be at once (32). Aleph One removed that limitation pretty early on, but one of the most recent patches actually deliberately added that limitation back in, to properly emulate enemy AI or some bullshit. Now you have to run a special plugin to delimit the enemy behavior. It's super retarded when people ask me why my maps don't work right anymore. :argh:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I tried to enjoy Doom RPG but it just felt like a Doom version of Nafaria's reign (which I think the author of has spoken to the author of DoomRPG) with a clusterfuck of stats that don't really enhance the gameplay beyond making you have to dump something to actually win any fight. It would be better suited for a pack specifically made for it IMO (but DoomRL arsenal on the other hand is one of the best mods I've played)

quote:

But yes, crusty grognards is the most accurate way to describe the two devs. Here's a good one: in vanilla Marathon 2, there was a limit as to how many active enemies there could be at once (32). Aleph One removed that limitation pretty early on, but one of the most recent patches actually deliberately added that limitation back in, to properly emulate enemy AI or some bullshit. Now you have to run a special plugin to delimit the enemy behavior. It's super retarded when people ask me why my maps don't work right anymore.
Now that is loving dumb, especially if it's screwing with already released projects. I hate it when sourceport authors do things like that and force users to jump through hoops just to play older mods that worked fine on older releases. Same authors are the ones who would probably complain if you included a working older exe with the mod.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, hey, you know, they have to preserve the utmost accuracy when it comes to things like the game instantly quitting to the title screen when you press ESC because in-game menus hadn't made it to the Macintosh back then.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
:eng101: It only instantly quits if you had saved within the last few seconds. (Otherwise it prompts you if you want to quit.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there a way to open the menu without quitting? I just downloaded it and having to quit and load the game up a hundred times just to get the mouse sensitivity right is infuriating.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
No there's no way to do that. You'll have to deal with those inconveniences the way God intended!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

As much as I love Marathon, Aleph One could really use a fork that added QOL features like a loving in-game menu and quicksaving.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah, I think that's not a controversial claim. The question is who's going to do it? It's not like Doom where there's a huge active community.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, I just downloaded the DoomRPG launcher and the launcher just crashes on startup. .NET 4.5 or higher installed, launcher in my gzDoom folder, main download DoomRPG wads and stuff in a DoomRPG subfolder in the gzDoom folder, that should all be correct, right?

Hmm did you find a fix for this? I got the same problem (Win 7 x64).

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I really, really need to learn C++. For reasons other than Aleph One, but also for that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Linguica posted:

I've been on this Doom demo recording poo poo the last few days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNx5ERixrYc

:frogsiren: I wish I could play the whole game on "difference" mode

Doom Rave

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Confession: I have never played Deus Vult II before and now I want to. Is there any reason why it comes packed with its own GZDoom executable (from 2008), .bat files, and a bunch of other nonsense? Can I just load the DVII-1i.wad in ZDL as normal without experiencing any problems?

E: Does anyone have the Ultimate version of it?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 21, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So if Chocolate Doom is the source port that's trying to accurately depict the original Doom experience, what's the equivalent source port for Quake? Is there a port that does nice software rendering without using OpenGL or other 3D acceleration?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

Confession: I have never played Deus Vult II before and now I want to. Is there any reason why it comes packed with its own GZDoom executable (from 2008), .bat files, and a bunch of other nonsense? Can I just load the DVII-1i.wad in ZDL as normal without experiencing any problems?

Yeah you can just run the wad as usual, that's how I've always played it. I assume all the rest is for that shockingly large number of Doom players who have no idea how to load a wad or use a launcher or interact with their computers in any way really.

I've never heard of an ultimate version of Deus Vult 2, what is it?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

mod sassinator posted:

So if Chocolate Doom is the source port that's trying to accurately depict the original Doom experience, what's the equivalent source port for Quake? Is there a port that does nice software rendering without using OpenGL or other 3D acceleration?

Fitzquake is basically an updated GLQuake. There's also ProQuake with similar goals, but I don't think there's anything quite as strict as Chocolate Doom for Quake.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Icept posted:

Hmm did you find a fix for this? I got the same problem (Win 7 x64).

Nope, even redownloaded absolutely everything and tried it in a fresh new folder. No luck. I'm also on Win7 x64. I'll probably just wait for a few more major releases and try again.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

If the DoomRPG launcher is loving up, you can get around it by manually zipping up each subfolder in the release and renaming the zip file .pk3. You may have to mess around with load order to get it working exactly right.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

I think there's none of those because you can still straight up run the original GLquake or Quakeworld without any work. There is the super8 port if you want software rendering, but it uses custom palettes for a different feel. It's origin is the Makaqu port, which is also software only, but it hasn't been updated in a year.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I'm looking for something that doesn't do OpenGL and has simple software rendering similar to the original Quake so I can compile and run it on a Raspberry Pi. The Pi only supports OpenGL ES which is similar but not a direct port for normal OpenGL. I saw there's an Android OpenGL ES port of Quake that might work with some futzing around to remove the Android specific stuff. Was hoping there was just a nice pure C software rendering version of Quake.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Having similar problems with the DoomRPG launcher. I even went to the creator's IRC and asked him and he had no idea what was wrong or what to do about it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zaphod42 posted:

:frogsiren: I wish I could play the whole game on "difference" mode

Doom Rave
untz untz untz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_jDRXLzWDM

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What does Youtube have against purple?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's Dark Aether from Metroid Prime 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:dance:

Do any of the doom engines support shaders? You're really making me want a playable doom rave mode. That looks nuts.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

GZdoom does, it's how it does the fullscreen color maps. You'd have to play around to get it to load one as level start though.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

There are opengl hacks you can use to get post-processing effects like color-correction and bloom. https://code.google.com/p/qeffects-gl/

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh good, Quake 2 is even more red.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I'm looking for something that doesn't do OpenGL and has simple software rendering similar to the original Quake so I can compile and run it on a Raspberry Pi. The Pi only supports OpenGL ES which is similar but not a direct port for normal OpenGL. I saw there's an Android OpenGL ES port of Quake that might work with some futzing around to remove the Android specific stuff. Was hoping there was just a nice pure C software rendering version of Quake.

Yes there is and it is called WinQuake. :v:

Seriously WinQuake still runs, there's also TyrQuake which includes a software renderer, but using WinQuake as a foundation porting it isn't very hard. I did a rudimentary SDL2 port in a day. All you get is a pixel buffer with a color palette that you need to somehow display. What you use to display it isn't very important.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SavageMessiah posted:

Yeah you can just run the wad as usual, that's how I've always played it. I assume all the rest is for that shockingly large number of Doom players who have no idea how to load a wad or use a launcher or interact with their computers in any way really.

I've never heard of an ultimate version of Deus Vult 2, what is it?

Cool, thanks!

As for the different versions, here's what I read in the text file:

DVII-1i.txt posted:

code:
[2.2 Differing Versions of DVII]
--------------------------------

There are two versions of DVII: First Edition floating around the net, 
differing only in terms of music distribution. Demo playback and levelwise,
they are all identical. The breakdown of the specific differences 
in each version...

DVII-1i.wad: The Idgames Archive Edition of DVII, music for Map12 
             and Map22 are different from DVII-1u. The MP3 files that are 
             present in DVII are free SPC music files converted to MP3s. 
             The music in this version meet the conditions of files 
             uploaded to the Idgames Archive.

DVII-1u.wad: The Ultimate Edition of DVII, this version has the ideal 
             soundtracks for Map12 and Map22 in MP3s. It makes a 
             HUGE difference in terms of ingame atmosphere. This is the 
             best and preferred version of DVII in the author's eyes.

DVII-1u.wad can be obtained by specifically emailing the 
             author (BusyBeaverHP@GMail.com) requesting a copy of such,
             or downloaded wherever available.

Looks like the only difference some music selection. I managed to find one without getting some computer killing virus, but it isn't the latest version (dated to Feb 25, 2008). It's not a huge deal, but I'll take it if anyone's got it.

EDIT:

straight jerkers posted:

There are opengl hacks you can use to get post-processing effects like color-correction and bloom. https://code.google.com/p/qeffects-gl/

Oh god this looks so bad :stonk:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 21, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Superschaf posted:

Yes there is and it is called WinQuake. :v:

Seriously WinQuake still runs, there's also TyrQuake which includes a software renderer, but using WinQuake as a foundation porting it isn't very hard. I did a rudimentary SDL2 port in a day. All you get is a pixel buffer with a color palette that you need to somehow display. What you use to display it isn't very important.

Oh nice, TyrQuake looks like exactly what I want. Yeah WinQuake doesn't look bad but there's more to it than just throwing a buffer at SDL. Would need to completely port the input system, sound, windowing/basic OS stuff too which is annoying. Googling around a bit it sounds like folks have had luck with TyrQuake on the Pi.

My ultimate goal would be to make a little 'lan party in a box' with a bunch of little Quake and Doom clients run on Raspberry Pi's and connected to a network switch.

Are there any nice Doom and Quake server tools? I'd love to have something that can connect to the server (or be a part of the server) and get info on who's playing, what their kills/deaths/etc. are, and use that to display a dashboard on a monitor. Anything like that exist?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

If the DoomRPG launcher is loving up, you can get around it by manually zipping up each subfolder in the release and renaming the zip file .pk3. You may have to mess around with load order to get it working exactly right.

Thanks for this. The launcher wasn't working for me either, but I got it working by doing this.

Even with the nerf to Scout, he's still extremely powerful once you get a tech and agility mod. It just takes 40 shots to kill a spider mastermind with a revolver instead of 20 now. :v:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 21, 2014

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

mod sassinator posted:

Are there any nice Doom and Quake server tools? I'd love to have something that can connect to the server (or be a part of the server) and get info on who's playing, what their kills/deaths/etc. are, and use that to display a dashboard on a monitor. Anything like that exist?
Probably? http://doomutils.ucoz.com/

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

A spectator with the scoreboard always showing and cycling through player views?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JackMackerel posted:

Not to my knowledge. There definitely isn't anything to fix looking up and down or mouselook; doing so would actually require significant remodeling (of the renderer for the former, of the event loop, physics model and input handing for the latter), the code is extremely messy, and it's kind of disheartening to work on when you know that your changes will never make it into core Aleph One and you'll have to maintain a fork yourself.

The only way I see this happening is enough people get interested to spin up a fork that can actually compete with A1 and maybe someday supplant it as the de facto standard Marathon engine. Otherwise it's a lot of ugly work for the privilege of being told to go gently caress yourself by the A1 devteam.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Elliotw2 posted:

A spectator with the scoreboard always showing and cycling through player views?

Yeah that sounds like it would be perfect. Is there anything in Doom (Chocolate Doom) & Quake (TyrQuake) that automatically does that? Perhaps some console commands?

Also any other classic PC FPS's that have good source ports and fun as hell local multiplayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

The author of DVII cares about demo recording a lot, and includes demos of his levels to show that they're actually playable. I think he included a demo recorded in GDoom, and provided the appropriate version of GZDoom with it because ZDoom ports really don't care about backward demo compatibility.

mod sassinator posted:

Engoo, maybe? The author is weirdly obsessed with getting old software running on old hardware.