Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

uhhh I think I broke the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Doomrpg launcher doesn't work for me either, win7 64bit. Also asked about it in the irc chat but no dice.

Anyways im playing by using the -file command and it works fine.

How have you bound your keys when using doomRL arsenal too? there's lotsa keybinds and im not sure which are essential, i have 2 extra buttons on my mouse and im using currently mwheelup to go through weapons and mwheeldown to go through items.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I always use the Soldier of Fortune binds for inventory games, z/x to scroll, alt to use.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Doom III Is Pretty Good

a novel

Chapter 1 - I Am Not A Complicated Man

Call me Al Cu Ad Solte. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - I played my first ever videogame. It was Tetris on the Game Boy. My second game was Super Metroid. My third was Doom. This Holy Trinity of gaming has thus informed my tastes for the past 20 + years.

You see, these three games do something that very few, if any other games do. They have a laser guided focus on their strengths while firing a Shrink Ray at their weaknesses. The flaws are there, but they are minor.

Tetris has a single focus: make blocks disappear. Everything you experience thus enables you to reach that goal of making blocks disappear. Super Metroid has several overal objectives in regards to player experience. Exploration/Upgrading/Atmosphere/Bosses. Combat is an afterthought but does not suffer. And so like Tetris, everything you do informs your ability to explore, upgrade, soak in the atmosphere, and fight bosses.

Exploration grants you upgrades. Upgrades allow you to explore. Exploration allows you to observe and appreciate the gameworld. One feeds into the other, and so on.

I probably don't need to say anything about Doom but I WILL ANYWAy. Doom is about shooting demons in the loving face. Everything you do enhances and guides you towards doing this. Get ammo and weapons to shoot monsters in the face. Get armor so that you can live longer, thus having more time to shoot monsters in the face. Locked door. Are there monsters behind that door? Find the key. Open the door. Get on the floor. Everybody chaingun the Arachnotro(aur(?))(n).

And you know what? It works! loving game is still played two decades later, as evidenced by its huge modding community and this dope rear end thread.

Don't worry there's a point to all this I swear

Chapter 2 - Doomguy! Do Everything!

It is the year 3032. Activision rules the world. Do you want to play Call of Duty? Haha just kidding its thursday you have to

Most modern first person shooters loving suck. NOT ALL OF THEM. But many, many, many most of them. Why? You know why.

BUT HERE'S THE THING I like first person shooters. As I said, I am not a complicated man. But godammit, that doesn't mean there can't be some kind of fuckin' interesting under the hood elegant mechanics behind my shootmans! Have you seen Dooms beastiary? It's nuts, they're less like enemies and more like puzzle pieces. Oh poo poo there's a room with 3 sergeants, a cacodemon, and some lost souls. :derp: but then you put your :clint: on and use your brain and figure out which weapons work best for what scenario, how big a room is, so how agile can you be to avoid attacks, and then you've got the prioritize enemies because WHY GOD would you waste a Super Shotgun shot on a single former human when there's three imps clustered together RIGHT THERE

There's this really great sense of cohesion to how you fight and move and interact with the world and its denizens. Modern FPSs don't even have that, maaaan.

I miss that. I miss it a lot.

Doom 3 was released in '04, a decade ago. When it came out, I HATED IT. What is this dark bullshit I'd rather poo poo a knife then play this trash

But here we are, a decade later, and I'm here to tell you that Doom III is actually pretty loving good. And not by 2004 standards either.

Chapter 3 - Long Post The Third GotY Edition

Cons: Let me just get these out of the way first

Too loving dark!

I'll give you this one. Sometimes, I wonder how exactly UAC personnel ever accomplished anything BEFORE the invasion.

Monster closets! They can get kind of annoying sometimes, can't they?

UGH PDAS WITH LOCKER CODES

Horror game journal entries summed up in one picture:

poo poo DICK SOUND DESIGN. Originally id had Trent Reznor on board to do sound and music. I don't know if you know how much I love the ol' Rezzie but I do. He's like a giant sad baby who is also the nicest man in the world. Anyway, his work on id's own Quake is FABULOUS, and when I heard he was doing Doom III I was excited! But then he quit because id takes too loving long to make games (7 years on Rage! btw should I talk about RagE? Should I talk at all? I need validation from internet people).

So instead we got Chris Vrenna. Look man, promising Trent Reznor and getting Chris Vrenna instead is like promising me a steak dinner and then giving me a rice cake.

So instead of chunky weapon sounds and an a horrific techno industrial soundtrack that would have made our ears scratchy, we got guns that sound like a chimp farting through a coffee can and...not really any music at all. To be fair, the main menu music is pretty bitchin'

But you know what? Overall, I really, truly, honestly love Doom III. I think it's a great game. I didn't always think this. In fact, back in '04 when I played it, I thought playing the game was like trying to decipher John Doe's notebooks from Se7en (like really with the loving 7), except instead of nihilism he just goes on about how great the aesthetic of plastic food containers is.

And now the point of all this.

Chapter 4 - Dance With the Devil in the Dark Grey Corridor

Fast forward 10 years, and I just played through the game again on a whim and almost loved every second of it. You can just feel the enthusiasm and sheer effort pouring out of every bloody orifice as id tries so adorably hard to scare and entertain you. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the overall package is just grand. If Doom is The Downward Spiral (Doom II is With Teeth) then Doom III is The Fragile. It doesn't reach the sublime perfection of the previous effort, but there's genuine EFFORT and PASSION put into it.

I also appreciate how, and this is important, it seems to value your time. Locker codes are only 3 digits. There's not even a use button, you just click on stuff with the gorgeous in-game GUI (500,000 lines of code for that alone) because your loving finger is already on the mouse button so why even bother complicating that business? Carmack didn't even want ragdoll physics because he thought it was a gimmick and didn't add anything. Is he right? Well, Half-Life 2 came out around the same time....

Get a gib mod, slap on some decent sound effects PK4's, and it's seriously a blast. The weapons feel great, ammo and health are doled out at JUST the perfect frequency to where you aren't quite overpowered but you're not some weak poo poo jelly kneed dick the whole time. You feel vulnerable BUT you also feel CAPABLE. I think it's similar to the original Doom, only in that case your capability comes from your agility. In 3, you move much slower, but so do your enemies.

Hell is creepy and totally cliche'd and I love it. Negative points for not having the screaming, agonized souls of the damned constantly in the background playing backwards. I͖̯̞̽ͭ̀̃̈̇͂'̗̝ͩ͗͠m͈̤͎͈̩̭̆͋̔̿͜ ̘̏ͤ͟n̼͒̽̃͛ͅǒ̰̹͓ͮ̚t͕̗̙͔͎̗ͬ̽̓̏́ͅ ̠̜̭̞̝ͧ̍̔̆͑f̪ͩͩ̐u͇̠ͤ̍̓ͤ̉͢c͉̙̞̓̌͗̇k͎̗̫̗̻̥̯͑̊̍͛ẻ͇̯͖̝͕̑́̈́ͬ̿͞d̳̱̯̪ͮ̇̾ ̰̜̜ͫͬ̃u̗̪ͫ̾ͨ̔̌p̡̭̤̣̙ͦ͑͌͆̎̊ ̭̀̒́ͅI̬̪̠̠ ̄͐͘ş̹̂w̟̞͍̠͓͕̬̋̀̊̽͠e̴̩͉̼̻̥ͣ̃̎ͥ̋ͣ͒å̷ͫ̏ͩr̤̖̰ͤ͐̅̈́͠

It all feels very deliberate.

The puzzly monster encounters aren't quite here anymore, and that is sad, BUT the variety of foes you face is still just as large and every time they die I just wanna do a little fistpump.

In an age where even games that make fun of lovely modern FPS design do those exact things they just made fun of (I love you Bulletstorm, but you can shove yourself up your own rear end), where control is constantly wrenched away so you can look at THE COOL THING the devs spent all this time on, where the focus on realism means I have to see 20 + guns that all do the same thing, it was a breath of fresh air to strap on my helmet and fight my way through the haunted halls of Mars, pick up ammo and health, defeat the bad guy at the end, smile, and go "You know what? I'm glad I played that."

Doom III is pretty good, ya'll.

Patch Notes 1.666 changelog: This game is totally a giant homage to Half-Life no I'm serious it like hits all the same beats including the trip to the alien dimension and the tram ride and the vent crawling and the

You know that's interesting because Half-Life was originally called Quiver and was heavily inspired by the original Doom. It all cͥo͎̦̲͇͆͋̊͑̅͡m̘̝̙̼ͩͭ̅̈́͛ͅe̸͚̰̩̙̹s̄̿ ̫f̥̻̭̓̄̾͊̏ŭ͚͕͕ͧ͒̕ͅl̖͎͘l̜̦͉ ̜͕͔͚̞̭̓͊̄̈c̯̮̞̖̠͑̊́ỉ͔̚r̴̙̹͔̮͈̅̃c̡̙̳ͥͫ̌͐̆ͥl̻̻̆ͩ̍͆ẻ̙̠̙͔̬̾ͭ̏ͣͅ
̢͎̩̏̐̈͑ͭ̔̍

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Also if you stop being a scaredy baby and play Doom III by running around like a madman blasting everything in sight it actually feels like a Doom game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Also if you stop being a scaredy baby and play Doom III by running around like a madman blasting everything in sight it actually feels like a Doom game.

Or you could play Quake 4, which is pretty much Doom 3 with better enemies and guns and maps and less trying to catch the player with dumb jumpscares.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Back to Doom RPG, anyone know what it takes to complete the "Kill Reinforcement" quests? It's the only one I've been unable to puzzle out.
So far been sticking to secret finding as it tends to be the easiest/most reliable, unless a nice Kill X quest comes up on a particularly good level for it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Cerepol posted:

Back to Doom RPG, anyone know what it takes to complete the "Kill Reinforcement" quests? It's the only one I've been unable to puzzle out.
So far been sticking to secret finding as it tends to be the easiest/most reliable, unless a nice Kill X quest comes up on a particularly good level for it.

There's a teleporter right next to the mission guy. It lets you revisit older levels and when you do during a kill reinforcement mission, it continually spawns hordes of enemies until you meet the quota. Best place to do it is a place with wide open areas because it can get really hectic.

I don't understand the other missions at all. Do they keep a tally across levels? Reinforcement missions seem the most "direct" in terms of how to finish them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah the tally is consistent across levels. Find Secrets is probably the most consistent to clear under default rules.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah the tally is consistent across levels. Find Secrets is probably the most consistent to clear under default rules.

Yeah but in the time it takes to complete one 'find secrets' you can do many many more reinforcement missions with much better rewards for each

Do the "find items" mission randomize drops to include those items?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm trying to play Quake 1 in Dark Places keyboard only (I just like to because it's how I played it as a kid) but the "center view" button doesn't seem to work. Is this because mouselook defaults to on or something like that? The keys bound in Dark Places to turning mouselook on and off don't seem to do anything either.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Half-Life was originally called Quiver

In reference to the Arrowhead Project in Stephen King's The Mist - another very Doom-like setting.
:eng101:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Talking about Quake 1, I just noticed that the Quake 'Epsilon' All-in-one HD pack was updated a couple weeks back, supposedly for the last time.

It seems to be a bit of a marmite thing around here, but I generally like the collection of textures, models, sounds, etc that they've used. Feels pretty close to what an official HD update would be, IMHO. It's a good one-stop shop if you want to make Quake look all shiny and modern, at the very least.

It has full support for all three expansions (including the semi-unofficial one) and three of the best third-party campaigns too. The final version apparently brings a lot of optimizations, so it shouldn't chug so badly on some notable sticking points.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bouchacha posted:

Yeah but in the time it takes to complete one 'find secrets' you can do many many more reinforcement missions with much better rewards for each

Do the "find items" mission randomize drops to include those items?

Seems like the enemies in completed levels drop the loot you need to collect. It's literally an MMORPG fetch quest, except actually fun since it's Doom.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Dominic White posted:

It has full support for all three expansions (including the semi-unofficial one)

Semi-unofficial one?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Malice, I think it was called. It was a TC that was later adopted and published.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Keiya posted:

Semi-unofficial one?

Abyss of Pandemonium. Commercially released, and billed as Mission Pack 3, but not fully branded, I believe. Re-released for free a while back with some upgrades.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Back to Saturn X

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Back to Saturn X

yep

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Talking about Quake 1, I just noticed that the Quake 'Epsilon' All-in-one HD pack was updated a couple weeks back, supposedly for the last time.

It seems to be a bit of a marmite thing around here, but I generally like the collection of textures, models, sounds, etc that they've used. Feels pretty close to what an official HD update would be, IMHO. It's a good one-stop shop if you want to make Quake look all shiny and modern, at the very least.

It has full support for all three expansions (including the semi-unofficial one) and three of the best third-party campaigns too. The final version apparently brings a lot of optimizations, so it shouldn't chug so badly on some notable sticking points.

I like the textures and sounds and stuff, but I really don't like the non-graphical additional stuff it adds. Nails in walls, weather, the new font, and all the stuff in the "small mod compilation" are annoying garbage to me. Is there a version of this without all that junk, or will I have to find all the source mods and make my own super pack?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Elliotw2 posted:

I like the textures and sounds and stuff, but I really don't like the non-graphical additional stuff it adds. Nails in walls, weather, the new font, and all the stuff in the "small mod compilation" are annoying garbage to me. Is there a version of this without all that junk, or will I have to find all the source mods and make my own super pack?

I think all the stuff is in their own .PK3 files of whatever. You should be able to just find the stuff you don't want and delete them, I think.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I tried that, then the muzzle flashes, impact marks for the nailgun, and zombie corpses were all rainbow colored diamonds.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

That actually sounds wicked rad.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Release the LSD ghosts!

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Back to Saturn X

I'm convinced that at the very least Tarnsman is a revenant.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Elliotw2 posted:

I tried that, then the muzzle flashes, impact marks for the nailgun, and zombie corpses were all rainbow colored diamonds.

Well poo poo. I think I tried out the Epsilon pack at some point and just deleted the stuff I didn't want, but maybe I grabbed some other pack. I dunno, that was a while ago and I've not used it since.

Elliotw2 posted:

Release the LSD ghosts!

Huh, that's giving me N64 flashbacks and I don't know why. The rainbow diamonds seem so familiar...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

Well poo poo. I think I tried out the Epsilon pack at some point and just deleted the stuff I didn't want, but maybe I grabbed some other pack. I dunno, that was a while ago and I've not used it since.

Huh, that's giving me N64 flashbacks and I don't know why. The rainbow diamonds seem so familiar...

Those rainbow diamonds remind me of Mario Kart 64 pickups.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I figured it out, I had to dig through the autoexec file and clean it up, and then their demo1 file also had the ghosts prebaked into it so it will always have the item box ghosts.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Hooooooly poo poo, rock and roll radio rebel against satan city owns. Wish it had more than two maps :v:

Also, I'm getting some serious slowdown with DoomRPG + RLA. It plays normally most of the time, and then bam, I get hellish stuttering and have to turn the game off and not play it for a few hours. Anyone else getting that? It happens no matter what map pack I'm on.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

Release the LSD ghosts!

:psyduck: It's the loving Mario Kart 64 item boxes THIS IS AWESOME

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

M.Ciaster posted:

Also, I'm getting some serious slowdown with DoomRPG + RLA. It plays normally most of the time, and then bam, I get hellish stuttering and have to turn the game off and not play it for a few hours. Anyone else getting that? It happens no matter what map pack I'm on.

DoomRPG causes saving to get pretty slow for me, which gets annoying with autosaving on. No massive slowdown, though.

I have a different issue with DoomRPG + RLA, which is it apparently makes reinforcement missions straight up not activate. I've gone back to completed levels plenty of times without any monsters spawning in.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Quake Kart Racing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Quake Kart Racing.

Quake Rally was pretty cool in the day.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Back to Saturn X

Dunno why you'd say back to saturn x suffers from this, compared to a lot of wads out there it really doesn't overuse revenants, and archviles are pretty rare. There are a lot of maps out there in other wads which actually do look like that picture...

With regards to difficulty in general, I played through btsx on UV, mostly with pistol starts and only quicksaved on the really huge levels. I'm not saying that to brag - there's a lot of wads out there where I can't even get past the first few maps on those settings. As megawads go I think btsx is one of the easier ones.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've found that a lot more modern Doom level packs are balanced with modern, experienced players in mind. As such, Ultra-Violence is often very hard, but Hurt Me Plenty tends to be pretty well balanced. This is hugely visible in Hellbound, where the difference between Easy, Normal and Hard enemy placement is enormous.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dominic White posted:

I've found that a lot more modern Doom level packs are balanced with modern, experienced players in mind. As such, Ultra-Violence is often very hard, but Hurt Me Plenty tends to be pretty well balanced. This is hugely visible in Hellbound, where the difference between Easy, Normal and Hard enemy placement is enormous.

Except lots of them make no attempt to actually balance anything but UV.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Except lots of them make no attempt to actually balance anything but UV.

Yeah, I've seen a lot that are pretty much UV-only. Anything lower might remove maybe ten enemies across the whole level, but not enough to really notice.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, I've seen a lot that are pretty much UV-only. Anything lower might remove maybe ten enemies across the whole level, but not enough to really notice.

Or something like Kama Sutra where anything but UV is just hosed and not balanced for fun times at all.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I just bought Descent off of GOG - I'm going through the cool PC games I missed. I was a weird kid, and was like "Oh no, I shouldn't play FPS games. I'm too young." [Which was weird, considering my dad would let me take over his game of Wolf3D when he had to answer work phone calls on the weekend.]

The soundtrack is bangin', and I really dig the flight style. One of my friends has the new oculus rift dev kit, and I'm jazzed to try out one of the source ports that supports stereoscopic 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Descent's soundtrack owns, whether it's MIDI from the DOS version or the CD audio from the Mac and Playstation versions.

Seriously go look up Descent Mac soundtrack on YouTube.