Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should work, but I don't know how well. The minis in that speed range use crappy Intel integrated graphics so the CPU is going to have to help out with the shaders. But you should get better than the 10fps postage stamp the game was on a early 90s pizza box (that was also how I played it originally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
For anyone interested in Unreal 1, I found a really interesting thread over on UnrealSP that details exactly how the monsters behave. Some of it can be pretty spergy, but there are quite a few useful tips for anyone interested in U1, from beginners to experts. The info in it has been pretty helpful for me.

He also posted a follow-up that talks about weapons and has some info about how much damage the Skaarj Trooper's shield reduces.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I blame the simplification of Hollywood plotlines on explosions being awesome.

Shouldn't you be filming a movie right now, Mr.Bay ?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Since Unreal 1 just came up, I'd like to chime in that RTNP is total garbage and I hate it.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Anything that Legend touched (after Star Control 3) is utter poo poo. See: Unreal RTNP, The Awakening, Wheel of Time. Which is sad and weird at the same time, as much of their fame comes from adventure games, both text and graphical.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Since Unreal 1 just came up, I'd like to chime in that RTNP is total garbage and I hate it.

I liked the very first map and the bits between leaving the spaceship and entering the snow area. The village is probably the worst part of the entire expansion because of how amateurish it feels. I've played custom U1 maps made in 99, like One Day, that are better than it. The spaceship is a confusing mess, the Marines are awful enemies, and the snow area and the final map are bland and boring.

Really, for anyone playing RTNP for the first time, I would suggest they warp to Spire Valley ASAP, cheat their favorite weapons in, then quit as soon as they beat the Foundry. Everything else sucks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Whaaat the Wheel of Time game owned.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

My best advice would be to not and instead play Operation Na Pali since it's actually considerably better if you take RTNP and remove the two maps that were cut from the original Unreal (Foundry, and the Valley maps.)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

My best advice would be to not and instead play Operation Na Pali since it's actually considerably better if you take RTNP and remove the two maps that were cut from the original Unreal (Foundry, and the Valley maps.)

The repurposed beta maps in RTNP are the only things worthwhile in it. ONP is a much better choice for those than want more U1 without Xidia's soul-crushing difficulty or to go digging through UnrealSP's archives for good custom maps.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Don't forget how completely loving boring the RTNP weapons were.

In original Unreal you get a combination grenade/rocket launcher! A crystal minigun with a shotgun altfire! A loving FLAK CANNON! A little thing that sprays globs of goop!
And then RNTP comes around and uhhhhhhhhhhh an assault rifle? (m-maybe another grenade launcher)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's because I remember people complaining about too eclectic weapons in U1, you know, there's no shotgun, rocket launcher, or other "normal" guns, like in Q2. I guess the very same people praised Half-Life's armory.

Unreal is a gem, the last real "classic" single player first-person shooter, with focus both on gunpplay and interesting levels. It's atmosphere, music, enemy roster and overall feeling is way ahead of everything done in '90s. It's also huge as gently caress, it's the only fps from that era that takes me honest 2-3 days of playing, instead of few hours like most other titles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

laserghost posted:

It's also huge as gently caress

Not just in terms of level count, but in sheer physical size. You could drive a truck down any given hallway and outdoor spaces take minutes to walk across.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

TerminusEst13 posted:

Don't forget how completely loving boring the RTNP weapons were.

In original Unreal you get a combination grenade/rocket launcher! A crystal minigun with a shotgun altfire! A loving FLAK CANNON! A little thing that sprays globs of goop!
And then RNTP comes around and uhhhhhhhhhhh an assault rifle? (m-maybe another grenade launcher)

The enemies are also boring, you have space marine (with deathmatch ai), spider with more legs, and a raptor. woo.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 28, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

laserghost posted:

It's because I remember people complaining about too eclectic weapons in U1, you know, there's no shotgun, rocket launcher, or other "normal" guns, like in Q2. I guess the very same people praised Half-Life's armory.

This is the same Half-Life that included the bee-hand gun, snarks, gluon, and tau cannon? :v:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Man, it's alright. I actually thought the Marines brought some danger to the table. Their first appearance was a shock to me.

That said, the maps don't seem to have the scale of the base game, but I enjoyed wandering through the half-destroyed Skaarj village. ...also, the alright voice acting began to mute at some points. I wonder why.

Oh, weren't we planning to have some dumb co-op meetup for Unreal 1, either the weird UT2004 port of it, or on the base game?

edit:

Looking at that monster behavior thing:

quote:

Another reason not to use that poo poo weapon.

Excuse me, sir? I used the Minigun when I didn't want the Skaarj to use that drat roll-dash they pull out when I've got a Stinger.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 28, 2014

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is the same Half-Life that included the bee-hand gun, snarks, gluon, and tau cannon? :v:

Those were hardly fan favorites back when HL was released (except maybe tau/gluon). I distinctly remember a HL guide from gaming magazine, in section about Xen weapons it basically said "they're so exotic, not many people know how to use them, but maybe you will unveil this secret?". They also reccomended using shotgun/mp5 for 90% of the game.

My opinions may be wrong, tho, as I don't really like HL :v:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

HL's arsenal is fantastic and the real guns all feel great to use, Valve really got the gunplay in that game down perfectly and it's a huge reason for me why it's such a great game. From the lowly glock to the mighty gluon gun, everything feels awesome to use.

And the RPG that you could guide the course of, that was something I had never seen before in an FPS - was it the first, out of curiosity?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

my bony fealty posted:

And the RPG that you could guide the course of, that was something I had never seen before in an FPS - was it the first, out of curiosity?

Depends on how loosely you want to define it. Descent 2 had steerable missiles in 1996, but you lost control of your ship while flying them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah I certainly never saw something like that in a game before Half-Life.

haveblue posted:

Depends on how loosely you want to define it. Descent 2 had steerable missiles in 1996, but you lost control of your ship while flying them.

T-MEK had that in 1994 but I still wouldn't say it's quite the same thing as the HL rocket launcher.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'm having nostalgic memories of how loving awesome it felt to blow a military helicopter out of the sky. Surface Tension is a level I will never forget.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

my bony fealty posted:

I'm having nostalgic memories of how loving awesome it felt to blow a military helicopter out of the sky. Surface Tension is a level I will never forget.

Which is echoed in HL2 by the doubly loving amazing feeling of blowing up striders in Follow Freeman. Another level I'll never forget.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Striders are so loving cool. Ungh the sound design in the HL games is so loving good.

And it's a shame that we'll never see another Half-Life after how solid Episode 2 was. Ffffffuck.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Yodzilla posted:

Striders are so loving cool. Ungh the sound design in the HL games is so loving good.

And it's a shame that we'll never see another Half-Life after how solid Episode 2 was. Ffffffuck.

No joke I think HL2 Episode 2 is the most perfectly paced and designed modern FPS experience ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

The cow grunting was so perfectly weird.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

No joke I think HL2 Episode 2 is the most perfectly paced and designed modern FPS experience ever.

Ep 2? Maybe I need to replay it but I don't remember ep2 being better than HL2 or HL1. But I guess that's just like your opinion man.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wow here's something I should have used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfm_snCzGX8

The med kit, suit charger, houndeye, and intercom sounds are some of my favorite of all time. gently caress does Valve employ some talented people.

e: yesss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh32mC-dor0

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Ep 2? Maybe I need to replay it but I don't remember ep2 being better than HL2 or HL1. But I guess that's just like your opinion man.

It's definitely paced better than HL2 itself. Most segments of 2 go on for just a little bit longer than is comfortable. The airboat and car sequences are most often cited but really the entire game has this problem.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

It's definitely paced better than HL2 itself. Most segments of 2 go on for just a little bit longer than is comfortable. The airboat and car sequences are most often cited but really the entire game has this problem.

Yeah but on the other hand Ep2 may be short and sweet but its short. I found myself finishing it and going "that's all?".

It really doesn't help that there's a massively huge plot point and then it just kinda ends on a cliffhanger.
Which is made all the worse since Ep3 never happened.

Also the stuff with the antlions chasing you around gives me the heeby jeebies, although a little of that is nice. (Ravenholm)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If y'all haven't played MINERVA: Metastasis you really should.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ep1 is dogshit, by the way.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The thing I really appreciate about the Half-life games, is that they really do feel like a journey. It feels like you've traveled a great amount of distance in a fairly natural way, and the environments are varied enough to support that.

Reaching the surface in HL1, only to find that everything is super hosed and you have to push even deeper down is pretty drat cool imo. Same thing for when you return to city 17 and lead the resistance through the streets - they did a really good job of making you feel rather claustrophobic and paranoid when you have Soldiers and Strikers popping in and out of windows and such.

E :

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Definitely my least favorite of the series. I think at that point I hit city 17 fatigue and wanted some new environments to fight through.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I recall kinda liking Episode 2, but ending up extremely frustrated with the Strider tower-defense sequence at the very end and never finishing the game as a result.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ep1 is the heaviest on the Alyx-heavy "teamwork" sections and physics/platforming puzzle bullshit, which were the worst elements of HL2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ep1 is, by far, the weakest of the three, it has a lot of annoying little bits (the part I remember most is fighting off zombies in a pitch black room waiting for an elevator). I also remember getting lost far more than one would think. Once when I, for whatever reason thought I had to do something upstairs when I needed to go down a stairwell or something, and once when I got to the bit with a Strider in a trainyard. I was super pissed at that one too, since I didn't find the passage through some trains that led to the rocket launcher so I thought I had to take it down from ground level using the gravity gun and the mines that were strewn about. And I did it too! But then another one came in since I didn't do it right.

I thought I'd hate the last bit in Ep2 with the Strider attack more than I did.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The only part anybody remembers is that loving elevator.

Shadow Hog posted:

I recall kinda liking Episode 2, but ending up extremely frustrated with the Strider tower-defense sequence at the very end and never finishing the game as a result.

See I forgot all about that part.

That's literally the very end, by the way. You finish that part; BOOM, cut to train sequence, roll credits. You missed nothing.

catlord posted:

I thought I'd hate the last bit in Ep2 with the Strider attack more than I did.

Its pretty frantic but it is pretty cool to be engaged in a battle over such a large area. I'm not in a rush to replay it though.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I missed playing HL first time round back in the day, and to be honest I thought it was way too full of "do this exactly the right way or die instantly" platforming parts when I did eventually play it.

But then I enjoyed the vehicle bits of HL2 much more than Ravenholm, so I am apparently Wrong In The Head

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I seem to be alone but I loving looooved the defense mission at the end of Episode 2. If you're trying for the achievement, you end up loving scrambling everywhere and having to shoot that electric ball just right (it's been years, I forgot) and holy poo poo it was just so intense and frantic. I've never been so amped up playing a video game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Nothing's more satisfying than hearing the pop of the HL2 handgun followed by a strider loving exploding, EP2 rules.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I kind of feel like HL1 was the last gasp of interesting weapon design in FPSes, and most everything since then has been knife, pistol, shotgun, SMG, assault rifle, frag grenades, maaaaaaybe a rocket launcher or a sniper rifle if you're lucky. Including HL2. The weapon selection in HL2 was actually a big disappointment to me after HL1 and HL1:Op4.

Yeah, you get pheropods, but I want my gauss gun and detpacks and tripmines and snarks and alien bee hand and acid-spitting fish and loving TELEPORTER CANNON back. Give me back my Displacer, Valve! :argh:

laserghost posted:

Anything that Legend touched (after Star Control 3) is utter poo poo. See: Unreal RTNP, The Awakening, Wheel of Time. Which is sad and weird at the same time, as much of their fame comes from adventure games, both text and graphical.

Hey, I liked Wheel of Time :shobon:

Also, I thought Star Control 3 was widely regarded as a crime against humanity?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

In HL2's defense the gravity gun made up for its lack of interesting weaponry otherwise, but I was really bummed that the gauss gun didn't come off the car. I was totally expecting the end of the vehicle sequence to be Freeman wrecking it and ripping off the gauss gun, then using it to obliterate striders in one charged hit or something :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zaphod42 posted:

The only part anybody remembers is that loving elevator.

Don't forget the part where Alyx pretends to be a zombie, or where Dog tosses you across the ravine. Other than that I got nothin. I remember thinking "Hm, they really seem to want me to like Alyx."