Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, that's basically how UT99 and UT3 work. There's not many movement techniques that actually work well in DM, and you can disable the translocator to make it even more grounded. UT2k4 went in the total other direction however, but the trick jumps and air dodging is pretty simple to understand still, since it's just "get near wall, double tap D."

UT3 had the critical problems of having ugly graphics with tons of visual noise, horrible art direction, and a very small number of mediocre maps. UT3 didn't fail because the arena shooter market was dying, it failed because it was just not a very good UT game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I always felt like another big reason it failed is because the PC version was a really bad port until BP1 a year and a half later, and the mod tools were too complicated and difficult to use.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

UT3 had the critical problems of having ugly graphics with tons of visual noise, horrible art direction, and a very small number of mediocre maps. UT3 didn't fail because the arena shooter market was dying, it failed because it was just not a very good UT game.

I know of some recommended cvars you can use to turn down all that awful visual noise.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I need some tips on console commands to get rid of smoke particles. I don't like not being able to see everything at all times when I fire a rocket or somebody throws a smoke grenade.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I need some tips on console commands to get rid of smoke particles. I don't like not being able to see everything at all times when I fire a rocket or somebody throws a smoke grenade.

The devs were morons that refused to make a cvar that could remove smoke particles (:rolleyes:), but if you set cl_set_skin_green to 1, you will be able to see your targets through the smoke because everyone will be a lime green Tank Jr.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tiger Schwert posted:

I know of some recommended cvars you can use to turn down all that awful visual noise.

There's a difference between "no graphics" and "graphics designed by a 13-year-old who applied every ugly shader imaginable because it's there and made every player skin look the same, and bleached out all the color because colors are for homosexuals". There are no cvars to make Unreal Tournament 3 not look like poo poo, poo poo is baked into its design from the ground up.

For anyone interested in an Operation Serpent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm82Tk_-q4I

This has a few things missing (particular the OGG music that was recently added, one-way doors opening from the center as they're supposed to, as well as a few textures changed and look-and-feel improvements) but isn't far off from what the game is currently like.

The music from this level in mp3 form, arranged and performed by Shane Strife. This is what the music of the final version will sound like.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SnowblindFatal posted:

Yo, Plutonia is some of the worst garbage dooming you could possibly do. For example: warp to MAP29 to witness truly terrible map design. The road that leads nowhere in the south takes the cake.
I actually liked MAP29, although it has the same issue that a few of the city stages in Doom 2 have (namely, very large, very open, very confusing as to where you're supposed to head at any given moment).

I mean, my current playthrough is only up to MAP17 (I did end up doing Go 2 It, which was annoying but certainly doable with a bit of save scumming and a lot of trial-and-error), but I started playing Plutonia after I played through Plutonia 1024/Plutinya; that only fills maps MAP01-28 (and MAP31/32, I think), leaving the original's MAP29 totally vanilla, so I wound up playing MAP29 for the helluvit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

There's a difference between "no graphics" and "graphics designed by a 13-year-old who applied every ugly shader imaginable because it's there and made every player skin look the same, and bleached out all the color because colors are for homosexuals". There are no cvars to make Unreal Tournament 3 not look like poo poo, poo poo is baked into its design from the ground up.

For anyone interested in an Operation Serpent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm82Tk_-q4I

This has a few things missing (particular the OGG music that was recently added, one-way doors opening from the center as they're supposed to, as well as a few textures changed and look-and-feel improvements) but isn't far off from what the game is currently like.

The music from this level in mp3 form, arranged and performed by Shane Strife. This is what the music of the final version will sound like.

That was really cool! Wolf3D is maybe a bit too rough for me, but that looks amazing. I really like the Pacific Theatre feel and also thank you for making the player character a woman. It's a refreshing change we don't see enough of, especially in fpses.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's actually not the Pacific, it's a fictional country to the south of Mexico ruled by ethnic Spanish white supremacists, and in 1989 instead of during World War II, which is also why there's heavy metal music.

As for the female player character, that's probably the first design decision I made when I started the project. Also now she has player sounds in more recent builds and that will hopefully put to rest jokes some people have made about her looking like a young boy/Justin Bieber. :argh:

I should probably re-record it on skill 4, there are about 3x the enemies on that skill level. Level 1 isn't that hard on skill 4, but later levels...:suicide:

I rely on my playtester Bashe to make sure the levels are balanced and fun on skill 4 because I can't hack it on hard past level 3

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh! That explains why the sounds didn't sound like fake Japanese. Ignore me being silly then :3:

And I think she looks great - it's a flattering style that works well for sprite pain faces. She looks like she could actually be fighting, not dressing up for a photoshoot. Just ignore the silly people calling her a young boy - they don't know what they're talking about.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Woolie Wool posted:

When it first came out, it had a very serious problem of the actual player models being extremely small. I think their feet clipped through the floor or something. It wasn't fixed for a very long time. The guy's head that you'd be trying to shoot would be at chest level. The menus were really horrible to navigate too, and it used gamespy.

UT3 was extremely flawed. Epic could have done a much better job. It was really obvious they put their best and brightest minds to Gears of War back then. That game was a monster compared to UT3.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Arivia posted:

Oh! That explains why the sounds didn't sound like fake Japanese. Ignore me being silly then :3:

And I think she looks great - it's a flattering style that works well for sprite pain faces. She looks like she could actually be fighting, not dressing up for a photoshoot. Just ignore the silly people calling her a young boy - they don't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, they speak Spanish. Not all of it is appropriate Spanish, since much of it refers to multiple male assailants of presumably WASP ancestry ("¡Oye, gringos!") and there's only one player who is a Mexican-American woman. I really need to find people to do proper VA work (I can kind of sort of speak Spanish a bit, but my accent is hilariously bad).

I always thought there needed to be an FPS set in the '80s. You've got your WWII shooters, your modern warfare :911: shooters, but not much in the eras in between.

E: Tonight I've been overhauling the guns with a hacky but functional imitation of Doom hitscans, so no more janky Wolfenstein-style hitscan attacks (for you anyway, the enemies keep theirs), and you get puffs and reliable blood splats.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 21, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Maulers in Project MSX can gently caress right off. 2nd map in Scythe has a section where a door opens and a ton of them come out, and they're bullet sponges.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh god, I've missed this thread. Don't know why I unsubscribed years ago. I just got DN3D: Megaton Edition on Steam, and have already downloaded about 35 custom maps. I can't believe how much Duke I have now, updated no-less. I appreciate owning the Atomic edition on GoG, but I gotta say, for an old PC Gamer who now uses a mac, Megaton wins out.

In playing Duke again, I had a memory pop back into my head, and I need help / verification that I'm not crazy. Years ago, probably in 94 before the game came out, I was at my local mall and there was a fundraising draw for a new computer (Pentium something or other, back when I still had a 386). I entered it, and by entering, you got 10 minutes with this VR headset and a weird controller, and you got to play 'the latest and greatest first person shooter on the market!', which was Duke Nukem 3d. Has anyone else ever experienced this weird VR setup?

I thought I just made it up until I found this - > http://www.eturnip.com/blog/076 where he mentions it, briefly.

To add suckiness to the story, I actually won the computer setup (headset, game, and everything) but since my mom worked in a store at the mall, I was disqualified.

Edit: yeah, I should have Googled harder, here it is. Cyberpuck controller! It wasn't very good.

http://www.mindflux.com.au/products/iis/vfx1.html

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 21, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So Enjay released a thing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That looks really impressive. It also makes me want to reinstall Half-Life.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also worth mentioning that GZDoom 2.0 came out recently, making the renderer play nicer with more hardware. You'll want a dev build though, as the public release has a bug with camera textures (as Enjay mentions).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Found this at a thrift store and was tempted, but no way to read the 3.5" floppies. Also I remember these level collections generally being trash.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

Found this at a thrift store and was tempted, but no way to read the 3.5" floppies. Also I remember these level collections generally being trash.

They released those on floppies?? I thought they were only ever on CDs.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Now is a good time to watch the System Shock developers mess around with stream settings
http://www.twitch.tv/algorithmancy

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just played through that. Pretty fun, although the automap is so cluttered as to be near-useless (a common problem with high-detail maps, I've noticed), and there is nowhere near enough health for the amount of hitscan punishment you're taking at any given moment. Had to dial it back from Medium to Easy just to get by. :blush:

It does make me wonder if GZDoom has an option to interpolate model animations, though, because man is it jerky.

Also questioning why so many unarmed scientists and engineers decide they have to pursue me, the guy with the heavy arms, to try and ineffectually whack me to death. Honestly, if they'd just made like the other guys who ducked/ran for cover and didn't put up a fight, I'd have left them alone. (I don't feel comfortable shooting non-combatants when they show up in games. I know it's not like I'm going to be prosecuted for war crimes for doing so, since it's a bunch of bytes in RAM and not an actual human life; I still don't like doing it.)

mod sassinator posted:

Aw, but then you'll never get to go to Imp Zone!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Pssh, that sticker clearly indicates it's on DVD :colbert:

(But seriously, don't they make USB floppy drives)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

I tried D!Zone once and some of the maps are baffling in their awfulness. I could do better and I've never made Doom maps before.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Zeether posted:

I tried D!Zone once and some of the maps are baffling in their awfulness. I could do better and I've never made Doom maps before.

To compare what we know now about map design to the wild west days of 1995 isn't exactly a fair contest.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah I was surprised too but the back says 3.5 floppies in big text. Maybe I'll pick it up next time I'm there if it's still around.

I did however pick up a CD version of Quake for Macintosh, just to get the official soundtrack to go with my steam copy. They had a CD of Doom 2 for mac but there's nothing special about that version I assume right?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Nah, the only id game that has a special Mac version is Wolf 3D. The rest of them are identical to the PC versions gameplay wise.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Hank Morgan posted:

Now is a good time to watch the System Shock developers mess around with stream settings
http://www.twitch.tv/algorithmancy

Is it me or are people just getting audio for the game and very, very, very quiet audio of I think one of the devs talking? These guys should have tested their setup before doing this because it's a bit of a disaster.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Nah, the only id game that has a special Mac version is Wolf 3D. The rest of them are identical to the PC versions gameplay wise.

Wait, hold up, what's this about?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
I wish someone would make an arena shooter where the movement didn't rely on exploiting weird combinations and glitches. Most "movement tricks" are just design failures-- there's little reason other than elitism to make it so that the default controls are not in fact the most efficient way to move. I think one of the reasons Battlefield/Call of Duty type games have won is that the learning curve is far more reasonable-- you don't have to learn the special 200% efficiency way to jump and move before unlocking the real game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wolf 3D on Mac got higher resolution sprites, a new set of episodes, and two new guns, the rocket launcher and flame thrower. Both of them are basically railguns, killing everything they pass through and going through enemies, but they're still fun.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Mac version of Wolf 3D, y'mean? It's got higher-resolution graphics and higher-quality sound, but the level designs are markedly different and enemies always face forward (no sneaking up on enemies like in the DOS version).

IIRC the console ports (3DO, Jaguar and SNES) are based on the Mac version, to boot. (I don't believe the GBA version is, though, and the XBLA/PSN version sure as heck is the DOS version.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

Wolf 3D on Mac got higher resolution sprites, a new set of episodes, and two new guns, the rocket launcher and flame thrower. Both of them are basically railguns, killing everything they pass through and going through enemies, but they're still fun.

This was also present in the Apple IIGS version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3uHip1Qr-4

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Elliotw2 posted:

Dark Forces had a similar thing with higher resolution sprites and crap on the powerpc build of it. Looked pretty great back in the day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's also worth noting that PC got Wolfenstein 3D in 1992. The Mac port of Wolfenstein 3D didn't ship until August 1994 - a month before PC users got Doom 2 and many months after regular Doom had come out for the Mac.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is anyone else having trouble opening up the .7z of Enjay's new mod? I'm getting an error message saying it can't be opened as an archive, and I've tried both redownloading the archive and reinstalling 7zip.

EDIT: I literally got a corrupt download of the mod twice in a row. Dude needs better hosting.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 21, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for the info about the mac version of Wolf3D.

Now can anyone tell me why the hell there's zero love for Mac Doom on Steam? Does Bethesda just royally hate Apple, or what?

Edit: I mean, I have the WAD files, but I'd prefer it on Steam, virtually forever.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 21, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanks for the info about the mac version of Wolf3D.

Now can anyone tell me why the hell there's zero love for Mac Doom on Steam? Does Bethesda just royally hate Apple, or what?

Uh, because no Mac that runs steam is capable of running the actual execuatable due to the fact it's Motorola 68k code and Macs have since switched first over to PowerPC (which at least had 68k emulation) and then x86 CPUs with no compatibility? And there really aren't DOSBOX-equivalent freely redistributable with commercial software VMs that could be used for old MacOS games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'd assume he's talking more about the fact that Doom/Doom2/Quake are limited to only being downloaded on Windows, despite the fact that everyone just uses a source port for these games.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Plus, they just bundle it with DOSBox AFAIK, and DOSBox is on bloody everything, Macs and Linux included.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Shadow Hog posted:

IIRC the console ports (3DO, Jaguar and SNES) are based on the Mac version, to boot. (I don't believe the GBA version is, though, and the XBLA/PSN version sure as heck is the DOS version.)
I think the SNES version was actually the first port, and the Mac version is the last. There's a weird artifact of the SNES version in all the later versions, including Mac Wolf: The SNES version made all the floors brown instead of gray. Any sprites with shadows had their shadows redrawn in shades of brown, to blend into the floors. Later versions turned the floors gray again, but kept the brown shadows because nobody was paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I think the SNES version was actually the first port, and the Mac version is the last. There's a weird artifact of the SNES version in all the later versions, including Mac Wolf: The SNES version made all the floors brown instead of gray. Any sprites with shadows had their shadows redrawn in shades of brown, to blend into the floors. Later versions turned the floors gray again, but kept the brown shadows because nobody was paying attention.

There's a handy comparison chart: