Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Why is "Score/Level/Lives" even a row in the chart if it's ticked for every column? Isn't the point of a chart like this to distinguish differences between all the versions, not highlight that something's in all of 'em?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

Why is "Score/Level/Lives" even a row in the chart if it's ticked for every column? Isn't the point of a chart like this to distinguish differences between all the versions, not highlight that something's in all of 'em?

I think it used to include a lot more platforms, some of which didn't display them.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
According to that chart, there's a PC-98 version of Wolf3D. I never knew that. :aaa:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Elliotw2 posted:

I'd assume he's talking more about the fact that Doom/Doom2/Quake are limited to only being downloaded on Windows, despite the fact that everyone just uses a source port for these games.

That's annoying, but I understand that there would be many problems for id/Zenimax "blessing" and distributing a particular sourceport.

On the other hand, they're currently distributing Doom in a DOSBox setup, and they could do that in OS X and Linux. The reason they aren't is probably the same reason that (for example) they don't have Steam trading cards for Doom/Quake, didn't put Quake on sale during the last QuakeCon, and don't distribute the Quake soundtrack with the game on Steam... it's an old part of their back catalog that they're not putting any effort into maintaining.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ah, the ol' "don't give a gently caress" routine.

Well, I'm sad, but Brutal Doom makes me happy.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I just finished making the final map of Operation Serpent today! :toot:

Now I just have to wait on Bashe and Shane Strife to finish the soundtrack, and it will be done.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh hey, I recognize Shane's name. I think she helped us with SRB2's music to some extent (I cannot remember what, although I do recall her remixing most of the soundtrack at some point).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm pretty sure Shane is not a she.

He and Bashe are co-composers, and Shane takes the composed midis and records them with real guitars and the like to create the ogg music.

So far the music status:

Title: Shane (completed and recorded)
Menu: Not started
Read This: Not started (will likely be written by Bashe)
Ending: Not started (will likely be written by Shane)
MAP01: Bashe (completed and recorded)
MAP02: Shane (written, not recorded)
MAP03: Pip Malt (taken with permission from an s3m module he made and re-arranged by Shane, completed and recorded)
MAP04: Bashe (written, not recorded)
MAP05: Bashe (completed and recorded)
MAP06: Bashe (completed and recorded)
MAP07: Shane (being rewritten due to sounding a little too much like "Banish from Sanctuary" by Blind Guardian)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, my mistake. I can never really tell, tbh... :blush:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

closeted republican posted:

According to that chart, there's a PC-98 version of Wolf3D. I never knew that. :aaa:

Doom II has a PC-98 port too! Not sure how many people in Japan were interested in either but it's cool that they came out there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

closeted republican posted:

Non-English versions of Id games are very rare, it seems. Romero says there were also Espanol and Taiwanese localizations of Wolf3D, but they're seemingly very rare. The Wolf3D source code has all the Espanol stuff present.

There was a French version of Doom 2! Which is unexpected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0cGEgBDUxs

Quake was untranslatable because all the map text ("This hall selects EASY skill" etc.) was compiled into the maps themselves. :haw:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Kins posted:

There was a French version of Doom 2! Which is unexpected.
It's not that strange, considering it's the only foreign language included in the source code release

quote:

APRES AVOIR VAINCU LES GROS MECHANTS
ET NETTOYE LA BASE LUNAIRE, VOUS AVEZ
GAGNE, NON? PAS VRAI? OU EST DONC VOTRE
RECOMPENSE ET VOTRE BILLET DE
RETOUR? QU'EST-QUE CA VEUT DIRE? CE
N'EST PAS LA FIN ESPEREE!

CA SENT LA VIANDE PUTREFIEE, MAIS
ON DIRAIT LA BASE DEIMOS. VOUS ETES
APPAREMMENT BLOQUE AUX PORTES DE L'ENFER.
LA SEULE ISSUE EST DE L'AUTRE COTE.

POUR VIVRE LA SUITE DE DOOM, JOUEZ
A 'AUX PORTES DE L'ENFER' ET A
L'EPISODE SUIVANT, 'L'ENFER'!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

Quake was untranslatable because all the map text ("This hall selects EASY skill" etc.) was compiled into the maps themselves. :haw:

Those poor Latinos and Japanese were missing out on quite a lot, too. :rolleyes:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
*Throws the mouse while playing Doom* (In Spanish): "This is intolerable! I don't have any idea what is going on right now!"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Quake Live chat: The Heavy Machinegun is completely broken.

It does 8 damage a shot at a similar firing rate to the Machinegun and the Lightning Gun. The HMG's spread is negligible at close and medium range, and at long range you're better off engaging with an RG or not at all. The MG does 5 damage and the LG does 6 (IIRC). HMG just melts people.

I played a couple of rounds of TDM a little while ago using almost exclusively the HMG, and ended up getting a score of 47 with a net of around 30 (basically, a KDR if 4.7). Normally my KDR's lower than that due to my hyper-aggressive playstyle.

Anyway Quake Live is still great fun and it's still, at its heart, Quake. They also removed the video ad interludes. Indeed all in-game advertising is gone, even the billboards, which is something I kind of miss honestly. If the game is meant to be about spectator bloodsport, it would make sense to have advertisements and sponsors on the walls and such. Even some fictional ads or ads for Bethesda games like Wolf: TNO or The Evil Within would be neat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Is it me or are people just getting audio for the game and very, very, very quiet audio of I think one of the devs talking? These guys should have tested their setup before doing this because it's a bit of a disaster.

They did eventually get it sorted out (and they claimed that it worked in the test they did the previous day, too). In its final form there was quite audible developer commentary and the game music softly in the background. Game voices and sound effects had to be disabled entirely, though.

Technical wobbles aside, the stream was actually loads of fun. Lots of cool chatter from the devs and the text chat was surprisingly informative as well. It was also kind of funny seeing them remember things like who placed what enemies where or where the hidden stashes on deck 2 are, but not how to operate the log reader or whether you need a radiation suit to power up the shields or not.

I had to bail around when they reached deck 3, but it looks like the stream kept going for a few hours after that and I'll probably download and watch the rest at some point.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Sounds like the HMG will be a replacement for the LG at mid-range and be useful for close range work in case of an emergency.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The LG didn't need replacing. Why nerf a weapon to death just to replace it with a weapon that does the same thing, but more boring?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

The LG didn't need replacing. Why nerf a weapon to death just to replace it with a weapon that does the same thing, but more boring?

Because the QL devs are kinda stupid.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's nice that the MG isn't completely loving useless so you aren't defenseless at spawn anymore, but that sounds like it went too far.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is there a Roland SC-88 soundfont? I heard a rendition of Grabbag on a real SC-88 and it sounds better than on the SC-55.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Woolie Wool posted:

Is there a Roland SC-88 soundfont? I heard a rendition of Grabbag on a real SC-88 and it sounds better than on the SC-55.

If you check out the Steam guides for DN3D:Megaton Edition, I think there's a guide or a link to get it, or at least a better sounding version.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Woolie Wool posted:

Because there are people being paid to maintain Quake Live and they feel the need to justify their existence.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Indeed all in-game advertising is gone, even the billboards, which is something I kind of miss honestly. If the game is meant to be about spectator bloodsport, it would make sense to have advertisements and sponsors on the walls and such. Even some fictional ads or ads for Bethesda games like Wolf: TNO or The Evil Within would be neat.
Haha really? "You know what this game needs? More advertising."

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

Haha really? "You know what this game needs? More advertising."

Honestly? I love the concept of bloodsport becoming a spectator sport (in the context of video game settings that is), and having advertisements around the arenas would help sell that concept. So yes. I want more in-game advertising in Quake Live, because it helps make the game's setting actually feel like what it's meant to be. Look at Monday Night Combat. There's plenty of advertisements for fictional products there. You see similar things in a couple of UT maps.

I'm just saying, it's a neat concept within the context of a spectator sport setting. In-game advertising in other games, like Alan Wake and Battlefield 2142, was awful. The video ads Quake Live made you watch between matches a while back were awful too, and Pinion on TF2 servers is the devil incarnate.

What I want isn't in-game advertising when it disrupts gameplay or when it sticks out like a sore thumb. What I want is more believable, more immersive settings, and ads in Quake Live and Monday Night Combat and Unreal Tournament felt like a natural fit. Even if it's just fictional ads or ads for Bethesda products, it'd still be cool.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Okay, you can stop posting about quake now.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Korendian Leader posted:

Yeah, how dare people post about Early FPS games in the Early FPS thread? Shut up.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Korendian Leader posted:

gently caress you, here's another post.

Anyone check out the IKBlue/IKWhite Map Jam pack for Quake 1? The Wizard theme and derivatives is my favorite theme for Quake because it feels very Quake-y while moving away from the brown-grey that dominates the Quake palette in other themes. The map jam itself has many different themes going on, from a lava level serving up gobs of red to an Arabian-style courtyard colored in warm sunlight, to downright cold winter-themed maps.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Korendian Leader posted:

Piss off

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
This is now a thread about Alan Wake.

I hated Alan Wake.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I hated Alan Wake.

Can we talk about Max Payne instead? WAY better and also on topic! I need to play MP3 sometime.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I got through a fair bit of it, the gunplay felt tacked on and unneccesary, why was it there at all? Would have been better if they streamlined it to just light based combat instead of also firearms.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love being immersed in Quake Live. I think the scoreboard should actually be ranked by how immersed the player is, rather than frags.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I hated Alan Wake.

gently caress you Alan Wake owned. Outside of awkwardly seeing the verizon logo everywhere.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Arivia posted:

Can we talk about Max Payne instead? WAY better and also on topic! I need to play MP3 sometime.

Alan Wake is a much better Max Payne 3 than Max Payne 3 is, hope this helps.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Alan Wake is bad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The perspective in Alan Wake really bugged me and for some reason I couldn't get over it

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Doesn't get more immersive than this, boys.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Alan Wake is good.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

zionist gamer posted:

Player is not a lime green Keel, so the person playing isn't actually playing Quake at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

zionist gamer posted:

Are we sure the arena FPS needs to be revived?