Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zionist gamer posted:

Voxels aren't out of commission yet, there's a company working on a UE4 implementation (with an already-made Unity version).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7z8a-kUR8c

They're not going out of commission; they already did. They're currently coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

I like that all the weapon graphics are stolen from Doom, while the vehicle hud looks kinda like it's from Wing Commander.

Voxels are cool though, and they're making a slow comeback, since the Cryengine uses them for it's terrain, and the Unreal engine terrain editor uses them for the pre-generation stage of making an outdoors type map.

These aren't really the same kind of voxels seen in these videos, however. The voxels seen here have their values directly interpreted (in this case, color), and drawn as a single square. In the case of Cryengine or Minecraft, the voxels aren't directly seen; they're instead drawn as polygons. These are still voxels (they're still elements in an ordered three-dimensional grid, whose position is inferred based on their neighbors), but they're not voxels in the sense of computer graphics voxels.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Zaphod42 posted:

Careful though. You can't compare a demoscene video to a game directly.

Demoscene videos are insanely efficient. Everything is hand-optimized for the scene, and the scenes themselves are specifically chosen as things that will look good while being easy to pull off. A ton of poo poo is faked, because it has to be. You can control the flow of things exactly, nothing changes from execution to execution, so you can measure and test and push everything to its absolute limits. Each part of the scene can be mostly completely unloaded after its done, and then you do some other explicit single task.

Games meanwhile have to be fairly inefficient by design. Lots of times you're not even using up the full graphics budget. Lets say there's 20 enemies around, but the player could run into a room with 40 enemies. Those 20 enemies have to look shittier because of the times when you run into 40 enemies, even if that only happens rarely. You could try to have multiple versions and swap between them when large numbers of enemies show up, but then now you've gotta have both versions loaded into memory at the same time, introducing its own performance challenges. Everything's a tradeoff and there's no magic solution because ultimately the player has control in real time. You can be smart and design a game that has limitations that don't feel like limitations, but its hard.

Comparing a demoscene and a game is apples and oranges, like comparing pre-rendered graphics to raster graphics.

Resident Evil 2 N64 had an interesting method of dealing with quality in scenes with lots of enemies. It dropped the resolution for more enemies. It also fit a 2 disc game with FMVs onto a n64 cartridge. It's an interesting game to study.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The resolution changing thing is actually super popular again. The new Wipeout games, as well as Halo and the UE3 games on console, will dynamically change the resolution to make sure that the games run at their target frame rate the entire time. UE3 can even support this on the PC, though only UT3 has it implemented.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

The resolution changing thing is actually super popular again. The new Wipeout games, as well as Halo and the UE3 games on console, will dynamically change the resolution to make sure that the games run at their target frame rate the entire time. UE3 can even support this on the PC, though only UT3 has it implemented.

NVidia also just released a new version of AA that seems to kinda be scaling AA on demand, which is kinda similar.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
voxels will never take over, cube-square law 2 stronk

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Hey, guys, got a little piece of history for you.

In 1996, Otakon released a Doom II wad as sort of a playable promotion for their event--play as Priss from Bubblegum Crisis and fight off possessed nerds. Strikes me as kind of counterintuitive to be killing off your attendants, but whatever.
It's got a whole bunch of custom graphics, though since it's 1996 the quality is obviously kind of scrappy. The map is mostly a recreation of the Otakon layout at the time, though with like half the texturing and some creative interpretation of concepts like "scale" and "proportion".

The original wad is actually kind of broken, since it was made in only a few weeks. The Dehacked was a mess and there were numerous lumps in the wrong place, reading sounds as sprites and vice-versa, which is fine for ye olde vanillae Doome but causes modern source ports to poo poo themselves.
This is an edited version that fixes up the Dehacked and puts all the lumps in the right places, so it should run fine with everything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p02hnn54lomjv4b/otakon.wad

Enjoy, lads.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 29, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

Hey, guys, got a little piece of history for you.

In 1996, Otakon released a Doom II wad as sort of a playable promotion for their event--play as Priss from Bubblegum Crisis and fight off possessed nerds. Strikes me as kind of counterintuitive to be killing off your attendants, but whatever.
It's got a whole bunch of custom graphics, though since it's 1996 the quality is obviously kind of scrappy. The map is mostly a recreation of the Otakon layout at the time, though with like half the texturing and some creative interpretation of concepts like "scale" and "proportion".

The original wad is actually kind of broken, since it was made in only a few weeks. The Dehacked was a mess and there were numerous lumps in the wrong place, reading sounds as sprites and vice-versa, which is fine for ye olde vanillae Doome but causes modern source ports to poo poo themselves.
This is an edited version that fixes up the Dehacked and puts all the lumps in the right places, so it should run fine with everything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p02hnn54lomjv4b/otakon.wad

Enjoy, lads.

Can somebody post some screenshots?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Can somebody post some screenshots?

EDIT:

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 29, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
poo poo. I think that was like the first custom Doom WAD I'd downloaded.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Is that the same as the one in the archives? http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/m-o/otakondm.zip

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Nope. Like I said, it's an edited version to work in modern source ports without issues.
Unless you mean it's the same base Otakon-promotion wad, in which case yes.

I only checked ZDoom and Zandro, though, so it might not work with Odamex or something.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Segmentation Fault posted:

These aren't really the same kind of voxels seen in these videos, however. The voxels seen here have their values directly interpreted (in this case, color), and drawn as a single square. In the case of Cryengine or Minecraft, the voxels aren't directly seen; they're instead drawn as polygons. These are still voxels (they're still elements in an ordered three-dimensional grid, whose position is inferred based on their neighbors), but they're not voxels in the sense of computer graphics voxels.

Came back to ask this. I learned about voxels on a 3D graphics unit at uni, and always thought of them in the context of medical scans, where you need to be able to convey the volume of an object for slicing and diving inside the image.

I've always wondered what it would be like to apply this to games, but voxel use seems to be limited to terrain generation, and even then in some cases just to form the basis of a mesh (as you pointed out). Imagine a game where everything has volume, and what the implications for collision detection and physics would be. No more worlds made out of shiny cardboard cut outs. No more cameras passing through characters and scenery. Everything would be destroyable and malleable.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

EvilGenius posted:

Came back to ask this. I learned about voxels on a 3D graphics unit at uni, and always thought of them in the context of medical scans, where you need to be able to convey the volume of an object for slicing and diving inside the image.

I've always wondered what it would be like to apply this to games, but voxel use seems to be limited to terrain generation, and even then in some cases just to form the basis of a mesh (as you pointed out). Imagine a game where everything has volume, and what the implications for collision detection and physics would be. No more worlds made out of shiny cardboard cut outs. No more cameras passing through characters and scenery. Everything would be destroyable and malleable.

Why imagine when voxelstein 3D exists? :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

Yup, that's the whole point. You could dig through any wall, smash open any box or object, because things would be filled in, they'd be real, instead of right now where they're all just hollow shells with special case logic.

Unfortunately actually doing physics calculations on hollow shells is already pushing us to our technical limits, we still can't even do perfect physics with raster graphics and polygon models in real time, much less with voxels.

And then the problem with voxels is, what scale?

Minecraft's world is essentially made of very very big square voxels. (And the weapons/items, but not the players or monsters)

Ideally you'd have voxels be very, very small. Eventually, if moore's law continues, we could have atomic sized voxels and the game would be akin to a proper physics simulation. But that's.... a long, long way away.

For now, in order to get playable framerates with good-looking images, you gotta stick with polygons. Using voxels would require the graphical fidelity to look really poo poo (look at how "old" minecraft looks).

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I take it voxelstein is still a bit "special" then?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

3D Dot game heroes is proper voxels and it looks pretty good, but its also got a very limited playfield size, fairly big voxels, and goes for an intentionally retro look in order to pull off the voxels.

There's a kickstarter for a game called voxel quest, and while the game sounds really lame (some kinda roguelike? He doesn't even seem to know what he wants to do) the engine looks loving fantastic. I swore it was pre-rendered CG until I really saw the voxels being used in action:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavan/voxel-quest

Probably the best looking modern use of voxels I've ever seen.

There was also that minecraft like game where you were more of an adventure RPG, that looked okay but still had pretty big voxels, although smaller than minecraft's I think. But what happened to it? I think it fizzled out.

Ace of Spades is an FPS with minecraft like elements, and such a voxel world. It looks pretty garbage but it can be fun, especially if you're into retro shooters.

I'll have to check out voxelstein...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Prenton posted:

I take it voxelstein is still a bit "special" then?
I recall getting the enemies to have their eyeballs pop out of their sockets and dangle from the veins attached to them at the slightest poke.

It's technically impressive, but also really, really goofy, not always intentionally.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Elliotw2 posted:

In a different direction, Novalogic uses voxels heavily in their early simulators, including the first three Delta Force games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WNUdxJB8Qc

That poo poo blew my mind back in the day. I'm still a bit unclear on what voxels are and what they do, but I'm pretty sure they are responsible for the insane view distance in the Delta Force games. It was the first game I recall that you could actually snipe your way to victory. Previously, games had such a limited draw distance that it made it unfeasible.

How best to explain voxels to someone who doesn't know what they are? 3D round pixels basically?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That poo poo blew my mind back in the day. I'm still a bit unclear on what voxels are and what they do, but I'm pretty sure they are responsible for the insane view distance in the Delta Force games. It was the first game I recall that you could actually snipe your way to victory. Previously, games had such a limited draw distance that it made it unfeasible.

How best to explain voxels to someone who doesn't know what they are? 3D round pixels basically?

Everything in your engine is built out of tiny Minecraft bricks, instead of being defined by its bounding polygons. Whether the bricks are round or cubic or dodecahedral isn't really crucial to the concept of "voxel", neither is how you actually draw them. I doubt they have anything to do with large draw distance considering they make everything ridiculously computationally expensive.

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 29, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

AugmentedVision posted:

Everything in your engine is built out of tiny Minecraft bricks, instead of being defined by its bounding polygons. Whether the bricks are round or cubic or dodecahedral isn't really crucial to the concept of "voxel", neither is how you actually draw them. I doubt they have anything to do with large draw distance considering they make everything ridiculously computationally expensive.

In that case, why would voxels be a selling point for the Delta Force games? Seems like the only reason you would use them would be if you wanted to make things destructable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In that case, why would voxels be a selling point for the Delta Force games? Seems like the only reason you would use them would be if you wanted to make things destructable.

Reading this http://tagn.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/delta-force-a-memory-of-voxels/ it sounds like they used it to get better looking terrain than was otherwise possible at the time, and yeah, possibly draw distances somehow.

It was probably cheaper to do a quick voxel check for height in specific areas than it was to hold a huge mesh for the whole world at once, for whatever specific reasons. And more importantly back then any textures for a huge ground polygon would have to be stretched to all hell, since video cards back then didn't support big textures.

By using voxels, you could effectively create more detailed textures by interpreting the voxels in an area, and coloring it based on those voxels. Usually that would be less efficient, but with the right algorithm you could get a rough estimation pretty drat fast, and the results would be much more richly detailed terrain than you could otherwise render.

Lots of people used voxels for terrain, even in cases where it wasn't destructible, because of that.

Remember how lovely the ground textures looked in Everquest or N64 games like Mario Kart or Rogue Squadron? HORRIBLE. These days we can megatexture things to hell so it isn't a limitation.

TLDR: voxels were sorta like a cheap way to get megatexturing back in the day.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well, they did allow you to make things destructable. Grenades in Delta Force, and various missiles and shells in Comanche and Armored Fist would knock holes in buildings and the ground. Delta Force mostly had voxel tech because Novalogic spent years hand coding their voxel engine in x86 assembly.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Because they're kinda cool I guess

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Some wikipedia stuff about the Delta Force devs and the engine. Like most 90's FPS stuff the technology was interesting.

quote:

Comanche was also the first commercial flight simulation based on voxel technology. NovaLogic used the proprietary Voxel Space engine developed for the company by Kyle Freeman [7](written entirely in Assembly language) to create open landscapes.[8] This rendering technique allowed for much more detailed and realistic terrain compared to simulations based on vector graphics at that time.[5]

quote:

The original Voxel Space engine was patented in 1996, and first released in software in the 1992 release Comanche Maximum Overkill. The engine was then revamped into Voxel Space 2, and later Voxel Space 32 and used in Armored Fist 3 and Delta Force 2.

The technology was based on that of MRI Scanners and similar technology was used in games such as Outcast. With the advance of computation power in modern computers there do exist browser based versions of similar technology based on the Voxel Space terrain rendering used in Comanche.[5]

The version of the engine used in the Comanche series utilized ray-tracing every pixel of the volumetric terrain data.[6]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Another example is the vehicles and some random things in Duke Nukem. Those are voxels, but they're not destructible so that wasn't the reason behind it.

Just a cheap way of getting fuzzy details versus going with blocky box polygons if that's all you can afford.

I guess it probably had something to do with the vehicles moving around in Duke Nukem, too. They probably didn't have support for changing level geometry much other than hard-coded lifts and things like that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

While I'm bringing up old vehicle games with voxels, the Carmageddon series uses voxels to model all the cars, so that they can truly dynamically deform and reshape realistically, even to the point where the cars can be torn in half. It used regular 3d for the actual playing field, so it didn't age like poo poo either.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Another example is the vehicles and some random things in Duke Nukem. Those are voxels, but they're not destructible so that wasn't the reason behind it.

Just a cheap way of getting fuzzy details versus going with blocky box polygons if that's all you can afford.

I guess it probably had something to do with the vehicles moving around in Duke Nukem, too. They probably didn't have support for changing level geometry much other than hard-coded lifts and things like that.
I thought the Build Engine didn't support voxels until Blood or Shadow Warrior.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Zaphod42 posted:

No voxels in Duke (It might be an unfinished debug option somewhere?), but they're used in later build games for stuff like keys and some furniture. They're a neat way of getting round using limited-viewing-angles flat sprites.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zaphod42 posted:

Shadow Hog posted:

I thought the Build Engine didn't support voxels until Blood or Shadow Warrior.

Prenton posted:

No voxels in Duke (It might be an unfinished debug option somewhere?), but they're used in later build games for stuff like keys and some furniture. They're a neat way of getting round using limited-viewing-angles flat sprites.

Yeah, there are no voxels at all in Duke Nukem 3D. All moving cars etc. were actually implemented using level geometry. Shadow Warrior was the first build game with voxels, Blood came out a couple of weeks later.

Elliotw2 posted:

While I'm bringing up old vehicle games with voxels, the Carmageddon series uses voxels to model all the cars, so that they can truly dynamically deform and reshape realistically, even to the point where the cars can be torn in half. It used regular 3d for the actual playing field, so it didn't age like poo poo either.

Similarly, there are no voxels anywhere in Carmageddon, it's all polygons. This is extremely obvious if you play it with 3dfx hardware acceleration (or use the nGlide wrapper). I believe the reason they had to use sprites for pedestrians etc. in the original was the (at the time) huge number of polygons for each car. The aggressive LoD scaling is also extremely visible at higher resolutions, even at the maximum LoD setting.

Also, cars couldn't get torn in half in the original, that was implemented in Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now :eng101:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 29, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I always thought that the benefit of voxels (in the pre-3D-acceleration days) was that you could create very complex and sprawling shapes — i.e. terrain — with very little data. A km² worth of terrain data could fit in a meg-sized (uncompressed) heightmap and that you could do both LoD and culling very easily on this data before turning it into the actual voxels. The voxels themselves might have been computationally intensive, but you could really cut down on the number of them needed in a way that couldn't be done (as easily) with huge polygon meshes.

You could also do away with a lot of the heavy texturing work (and polygon fitting) by… well. not really using textures at all — just colours, and at the time, it would still look better than most other methods. Of course, once 3D acceleration became a thing, none of that was true any more — the meshes and textures could be dumped onto the GPU, thereby bypassing or at least side-loading the whole problem.

The other benefits of them potentially allowing for more dynamic environments was just a happy, and largely unused, side-effect.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I kind of like that the BFG is turned into a "beacon" that "calls an orbital strike". The explanation doesn't really work when there's a non-sky ceiling but still, cool idea. Also the chaingun is given a satisfying fire rate.

There are some neat tricks, for the time, in the level itself, like the explosion and collapse of a tunnel (a crusher and some barrels) or the pseudo-3D effect of lowering something on a roof and then seeing (a copy of) it lowered in a room. Also the icon fight you're not actually supposed to fight, just go in, flip a switch, go out and let the monsters accumulate, who cares about them. Props for the ENDOOM screen being honest and accurately calling it a publicity stunt.

It's still ugly as sin of course, and the zombie nerd sprites are especially atrocious.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Hades reminded me that I played that Legend of the Seven Paladins game that used BUILD illegally and I couldn't make it very far in the first level due to these green ninja guys shooting streams of fireballs at me.

Also, there's totally a boxed full version of the game because someone on Twitch I watch has a copy and showed it off on stream. I'd love to know if Ken Silverman or anyone else who worked/works for 3DR is aware of this.

I'm also wondering if there's any other weird Korean/Taiwanese/Chinese FPS games like Hades or MARS. Would be funny if they decided to illegally use the Quake engine for something.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 30, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Also, cars couldn't get torn in half in the original, that was implemented in Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now :eng101:

It's pretty nuts how they managed to implement that in a game from 1998. Most racing games around that time didn't have damage modeling that complex. :psyduck:

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Tippis posted:

I always thought that the benefit of voxels (in the pre-3D-acceleration days) was that you could create very complex and sprawling shapes — i.e. terrain — with very little data. A km² worth of terrain data could fit in a meg-sized (uncompressed) heightmap and that you could do both LoD and culling very easily on this data before turning it into the actual voxels. The voxels themselves might have been computationally intensive, but you could really cut down on the number of them needed in a way that couldn't be done (as easily) with huge polygon meshes.
Old school voxel landscape engines are very efficient to render and work well with fixed point arithmetic. Knowing the location of the player, the direction they're looking, and the field of view, it's fairly easy to determine how many pixels "tall" any give point in the height-map is from the player's perspective. You get level of detail for free too; All you have to do is sample the height-map densely near the player and sparsely in the distance. Assuming the scale of the landscape is large compared to the distance between samples, sub-sampling errors will be difficult to notice and very long view distances can be rendered.

I don't think it's really even accurate to call the engines used in Comanche and Delta Force "voxel" engines. More a quick way to render a height field by exploiting some short cuts that they allow. The algorithms they used have nothing in common with the voxel rendering in the Build engine, and even less to do with fully volumetric engines that are being produced today.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I totally don't remember grenades/explosives being able to deform buildings in Delta Force.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Voxlstein is interesting, though limited to being able to stab through walls.

In my fantasy game, the world is made up of voxels, perhaps half or a quarter as big as Voxelstein. There are no textures to save on processing time - you just use the voxels on the surface to draw the textures. The voxels are small enough that shaders (e.g. displacement maps) could be represented in real three-dimesnions, so no shaders to fake 3D surfaces required. Reflectivity effects would still be required.

This still leaves us with something hugely wasteful - with surface based modeling you only see 50% of the surfaces in the scene. With voxels you're only seeing a tiny fraction of the voxels in the scene. These need to be culled somehow if the processor has any hope of smothe animation. A lot of time and effort has been spent culling things that don't need to processed in surface based modeling (you could argue it's John Carmack's entire career), culminating in graphics hardware that does the job out-the-box. There's been no such research in voxel rendering that I know of.

Each voxel would have physical properties - weight, and 'stickiness' I.e. what force it takes to detach a voxel from it's neighbour, on each surface. Imagine a brick wall, where the masonry is the weak point, shattering bricks everywhere if something hits it. This would be a lot cooler than a faked effect, especially given that it applies to every object in the game. This wouldn't just be a gimmick in a Hulk or Godzilla 'destroy everything' game. It would create an immersion, a feeling that the game world is real and solid. Creating water would simply be a matter of giving your voxels the right properties. Waves, splashes, deplacement would all emerge, rather than having to fake every single property.

This is my dream anyway. I just wish I was talented enough to be able to code it!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I vaguely remember the first game I saw with some kind of terrain deforming. Too bad it was Nature Fawn Killers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlswnKqrkY at 8:50 you can see it. Even water appears if the crater is deep enough.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
You poor bastard. It was 2d, but Worms blew my mind when I blew up a hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

laserghost posted:

There was one Russian FPS which used voxels heavily, ZAR (or Zone of Artificial Resources) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQP9cm5Us8k. I used to play the 3-level demo quite a lot, and apparently the game had quite a following in it's motherland, with LAN tournaments scene etc.

I remember playing this and another game by the same devs called... Madspace? and having a lot of trouble just getting them to run, and then when I finally did get Madspace to run it was a boring piece of poo poo so I quit long before seeing any of the Build-esque gimmick stages I wanted to see.