Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's so nice that videos of Doom on YouTube can now look closer to what it looks like when I'm playing it on my computer. For example! I may not use Smooth Doom or whatever mod it is that's making their weapon animations look so good, nor the music mod they're using, but this video is otherwise pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Even while using Smooth Doom, I've never need able to get used to playing without the 35 fps cap turned on. For some reason it's really disorienting and I can barely aim. It's like the extra frames are tricking my brain into thinking that the game is running slower than it really is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Even while using Smooth Doom, I've never need able to get used to playing without the 35 fps cap turned on. For some reason it's really disorienting and I can barely aim. It's like the extra frames are tricking my brain into thinking that the game is running slower than it really is.

I know that playing Doom with the FPS uncapped (i.e., at 900 FPS) results in some pretty hilarious warping on all the straight lines.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

laserghost posted:

There was one Russian FPS which used voxels heavily, ZAR (or Zone of Artificial Resources) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQP9cm5Us8k. I used to play the 3-level demo quite a lot, and apparently the game had quite a following in it's motherland, with LAN tournaments scene etc.
So wait is this an entire FPS about destroying solar panels and wind farms?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This actually isn't far from the truth. Nothing runs slower, but nothing runs faster either. This includes input.
All input is still created at the same rate, and still creates tics the same way. Nothing else in the playsim has any effect either (the playsim is run by available input, so that's all still run at 35Hz), so what you get is visual interpolation, but the game isn't actually doing anything during that time.
I can very easily see that as visually tricking someone into thinking things are running slower.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I know that playing Doom with the FPS uncapped (i.e., at 900 FPS) results in some pretty hilarious warping on all the straight lines.

That sounds like vsync distortion, which you get when when you freeze the drawing of 500-1000 odd frames into a 60Hz display. Apparently at about 2000 frames the scanlines themselves vanish.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 31, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nokiaman posted:

With this guide it's fairly bearable.
Maybe one day we'll get proper source port :(

Thanks for these. I've been playing DTWID first and this is exactly what I wanted. Plenty of enemies and keycards in plain sight.

I would love a new engine for Blood.

I think the XL Engine guy was planning to work on that, but after Dark Forces and Daggerfall are finished, i.e. never.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think the ZDoom guy was talking about adding Blood support, but that'd be a while off yet.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

^^^Whoops, beaten

The ZDoom guy of all people has been looking to incorporate Blood into ZDoom as well. Apparently Blood's version of the BUILD engine is just similar enough to the Doom engine to make it feasible or something, I don't know. :psyduck:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NuclearPotato posted:

Apparently Blood's version of the BUILD engine is just similar enough to the Doom engine to make it feasible or something, I don't know. :psyduck:

Not really what he said.

randi posted:

I wouldn't go that far ["ZBlood"] at this time, but Blood is probably the Build game most suited for support by ZDoom. If I just add moving walls/sectors and overlapping sectors, everything else could probably be approximated closely enough. And I'd say the moving sectors stuff is probably already halfway there thanks to the current state of polyobjects.

ZDoom already features a ton of stuff missing from Doom, such as portals, voxels, decals, etc. As for whether Blood is the easiest Build game to approximate in ZDoom, I don't know. When Randy Heit made a Duke 3D port, it was in the form of ZDuke -- something separate from ZDoom, even if it reused most of the input/output codebase.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

For those interested, I just made an update to DemonSteele.
I tried to get a lot of the criticisms/suggestions people made (faster sword, nerfed Revenants, sounds indicating when something's died, cvar for autoswitching weapons, enemy gibs blocking teleporters, etc), but if there's any issues I've forgotten about or you'd like to make known, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Hope you guys enjoy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Unreal series is 70% off on GOG today.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

I thought the Build Engine didn't support voxels until Blood or Shadow Warrior.

Sorry, I totally meant Shadow Warrior. :doh:

Shadow Hog posted:

It's so nice that videos of Doom on YouTube can now look closer to what it looks like when I'm playing it on my computer. For example! I may not use Smooth Doom or whatever mod it is that's making their weapon animations look so good, nor the music mod they're using, but this video is otherwise pretty close.

That is GLORIOUS :swoon: about drat time Google.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 31, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rocket Pan posted:

That sounds like vsync distortion, which you get when when you freeze the drawing of 500-1000 odd frames into a 60Hz display. Apparently at about 2000 frames the scanlines themselves vanish.

That's one thing, but all graphics to that if they're not synced to vertical refresh.

The Doom engine is kinda weird, though. If you increase the resolution above a certain point, straight lines in geometry will distort wildly as they move from horizontal to vertical on-screen, ie. when the player rotates. I wouldn't be surprised if it does weird things at high framerates, too.

Most source ports fix these issues, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't the Quake 3 engine have some kind of physics weirdness that makes certain jumps only possible at certain framerates?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

haveblue posted:

Doesn't the Quake 3 engine have some kind of physics weirdness that makes certain jumps only possible at certain framerates?

Yeah I remember that. I think 100FPS players had an advantage/disadvantage, I can't remember which. I vaguely recall Doom 3's multiplayer having the same issue.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TerminusEst13 posted:

For those interested, I just made an update to DemonSteele.
I tried to get a lot of the criticisms/suggestions people made (faster sword, nerfed Revenants, sounds indicating when something's died, cvar for autoswitching weapons, enemy gibs blocking teleporters, etc), but if there's any issues I've forgotten about or you'd like to make known, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Hope you guys enjoy.

This is magical. MAGICAL. No other words can describe my first impression on how fun yet silly this is. :allears: If anyone has any WAD suggestions hit me, otherwise im playing Ur with this.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/65688-unholy-realms-public-beta-release-thread-final-version-uploaded/

Also bonus points for reminding me of Blood with all the head kicking. :haw:

E: Somehow you ended up making a shotgun equally, if not MORE satisfying then Doom 2's Shotgun. For that, you get my thanks. :golfclap:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 31, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

Yup. My friend set a framerate limit on Enemy Territory for this reason.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

How does one edit Wolfenstein 3D's graphics and enemy/weapon data? Level design is straightforward enough, but I'm not having any luck with the rest and Google isn't helping.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Thyrork posted:

This is magical. MAGICAL. No other words can describe my first impression on how fun yet silly this is. :allears: If anyone has any WAD suggestions hit me, otherwise im playing Ur with this.
Also bonus points for reminding me of Blood with all the head kicking. :haw:
E: Somehow you ended up making a shotgun equally, if not MORE satisfying then Doom 2's Shotgun. For that, you get my thanks. :golfclap:

Ah-hah, thank you. Yeah, I love the shotgun to death, it's so much fun to use.
As for wad suggestions, I ran through Scythe 2 so many times while testing this, it's practically designed around it.
If you want more slaughtery maps, New Gothic Movement is absolutely brutal and will throw you into the blender time and time again.
If you want more slow-paced and atmospheric maps, I simply can't suggest Dissolution enough.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GUI posted:

How does one edit Wolfenstein 3D's graphics and enemy/weapon data? Level design is straightforward enough, but I'm not having any luck with the rest and Google isn't helping.
Graphics and sounds? You can use WDC.

Enemy and weapon behavior? ECWolf uses plaintext DECORATE definitions just like ZDoom. Any other source port? It's to the source code with you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TerminusEst13 posted:

Ah-hah, thank you. Yeah, I love the shotgun to death, it's so much fun to use.
As for wad suggestions, I ran through Scythe 2 so many times while testing this, it's practically designed around it.
If you want more slaughtery maps, New Gothic Movement is absolutely brutal and will throw you into the blender time and time again.
If you want more slow-paced and atmospheric maps, I simply can't suggest Dissolution enough.

Some more usable feedback, might i suggest you turn down the "Use" clips, say by a 1/3rd. E: See how it sounds since in fairness its not that loud, but hearing her grunt is as annoying as listening to doom guy grunt so having that softer might be an idea.

Of course, i cant help but feel thats the joke, but hey. ;)

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 1, 2014

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
This was probably already mentioned, but I highly recommend The Fantastic Love Adventure of Lt. Feel Good for Doom 2.

It's really more of an exploration map, so you might as well hit IDDQD and IDFA (but not IDKFA, because finding the keys is half of the fun). I don't know how this could possibly be someone's very first map, but it's still very nice.

VVVVV - Even so, I'm very impressed with what the Doom community has produced over the last year. The Cacowards for this year should be very interesting. We even have a version of Freedoom that mostly works as an IWAD replacement, assuming that you don't intend to actually play with the included (buggy) maps.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 1, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

lurker1981 posted:

I don't know how this could possibly be someone's very first map, but it's still very nice.

Well, it's not really the very first:

Toxie Rocks posted:

Thanks for all the superlatives. I should clarify that this is my first completed level. There are other maps that I've started and scrapped or are still in production. So, yeah, I have more mapping experience than the average newbie, but this is the first time my work is being seen outside of some close friends.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This is a neat idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wleaAhzxCY

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Which bloom thing is that

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

straight jerkers posted:

Metroid for Doom.

I haven't tried it out yet, but it's next on my list.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Someone's made a demake of Metroid Prime? :swoon:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

They did back in 1996, it's called Powerslave.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

lurker1981 posted:

Metroid for Doom.

I haven't tried it out yet, but it's next on my list.
No, he asked what the bloom effect was.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

Sort of yes, sort of no. I made Dreadnought as just a little fan thing because I'm a giant Metroid nerd (in case the avatar didn't give it away), sort of a mash-up of Super's speed, Prime's weapons, and traditional Doom gameplay.
But then there were a few people planning on doing Prime-style maps for it, which is good since I'm possibly the shittiest mapper in existence. But then one had an HDD failure and the other four fell off the face of the Earth so uhhhhhhhhhhhh

straight jerkers posted:

https://code.google.com/p/qeffects-gl/

Pretty okay if you have a whole bunch of darker sprites and maps, since it makes for some pretty lighting effects in maps that can help set the mood.
When you start getting brighter sprites and/or maps with brighter lighting, though, then everything turns terrible because suddenly your hand is bloom and the dirt is bloom and that looks like utter poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

haveblue posted:

IIRC the magic framerates are 125FPS and 333FPS. Due to the way jumping is calculated in Quake 3, the peak of your jump will be ever so slightly higher at those framerates.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

KozmoNaut posted:

IIRC the magic framerates are 125FPS and 333FPS. Due to the way jumping is calculated in Quake 3, the peak of your jump will be ever so slightly higher at those framerates.

Why is any of this stuff client-side :psyduck:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It doesn't have to be, but the default settings make it client side! (it also affects Half-Life 1, COD, and all other Quake sourced engines)

edit: Here's an old website explaining exactly what's happening

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 2, 2014

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

AugmentedVision posted:

Why is any of this stuff client-side :psyduck:
I think it IS server side as well, but the server uses the client's FPS to determine its own physics timestep.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, years ago, I could have sworn I played Jedi Outcast, but going through it now, I doubt that's the case. I know I got through JK1, and loved every single second of it, post-lightsaber discovery, but I'm drawing a complete blank on all the stuff I'm playing through now in JK2.

I'm almost done the mining level, please tell me I get my lightsaber soon? That alone makes these games worth it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, years ago, I could have sworn I played Jedi Outcast, but going through it now, I doubt that's the case. I know I got through JK1, and loved every single second of it, post-lightsaber discovery, but I'm drawing a complete blank on all the stuff I'm playing through now in JK2.

I'm almost done the mining level, please tell me I get my lightsaber soon? That alone makes these games worth it.

You should get your lightsaber after the mining levels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:toot: It's me, I am the most stoked. One thing I don't understand is, if I'm playing as Kyle Katarn, just like JK1, where did my saber and force powers go between games?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

At the end of JK1 in the good ending he sacrifices his force powers to the Valley of the Jedi because he was too close to falling to the Dark Side, and he gives his saber to Luke for safekeeping. Which, JK2 basically explains this as soon as you complete the mining area anyway.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also take note that the level after you get your saber back (Nar Shaddar) is awful and not representative of the rest of the game. Seriously, just stick on God mode for that one level or something as it's the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Convex posted:

Also take note that the level after you get your saber back (Nar Shaddar) is awful and not representative of the rest of the game. Seriously, just stick on God mode for that one level or something as it's the worst.

God yes. The loving bug dudes with the sniper rifles :argh: