Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
DarkPlaces is fun & a massive accomplishment as an engine, but yeah QuakeSpasm is usually the thing for playing third-party maps. It's what mappers tend to test their stuff with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Anyone know of a way to change the particles in Quake 2 to squares like they are in software mode?
It's odd to be using nearest texture filtering with round particles.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yes, Quakespasm's definitely running it much better.

Although I'm kind of annoyed with its music setup. It prioritizes whatever's in my CD drive above the OGG rip of the actual Quake soundtrack, and, well, as much as I love Vince Guaraldi music it just does not fit Quake in the slightest. Blegh.

EDIT: Or maybe it's just not finding the rip I put in the ID1 folder. Bizarre.

ED2: One too many zeroes in the filename, of course. Guess DP and QS don't see eye-to-eye on how CD audio rips should be laid out (I mean, they even have to be in separate folders, bleh)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 25, 2014

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
FWIW, if you have the files laid out the way QS likes them, then DP will still like them. Deets: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

Or like the even more poorly executed Duke Nukem 3D for the Game.com

Wow that really reminds me of that monkey platforming game I had on my 3315.

fake edit: drat I actually found a write-up on it and apparently it was in real 3D. Memories, man.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So for no particular reason, I was looking at the files on the Powerslave (Saturn) CD in Notepad++ (I dunno, boredom). This caught my eye:

quote:

YYZZXXZYXZYXYXZ[NUL]ZXYYXYXXYZZYXZA[NUL]DRLUDRLUDRLDUL[NUL]
Button codes seemingly in plaintext amongst the MAIN.BIN binary. Curious. Inputting any of these on the map screen nets you a "YEAH!" (coincident with the level loading up, in the case of the second one, since that final A for the code selects the stage), although I can only tell what the first code does (if you're hovering on the latest level in the map screen, it opens up the next map).

GameFAQs only has two of them - it confirms YYZZXXZYXZYXYXZ is a level skip, and indicates that DRLUDRLUDRLDUL is apparently supposed to refill your health and ammo (although they list it as DRLUUDRLDUL-then-hit-X-on-the-item-screen, but eh, close enough). Still no idea what ZXYYXYXXYZZYXZA is, though! God mode, maybe?

Also, I swear SSF has gotten worse at emulating Powerslave. Several scanlines just flat-out do not render for my weapon sprite or the sky backdrop, and the game outright froze on the way to Ramses in level 1. I know I emulated this a lot more smoothly in an earlier version of SSF many years ago. (Yes, I could just swap out some SCART cables and play the copy of the game I ripped this ISO from on my actual Saturn, but I'm lazy.) Yabause, meanwhile, renders surprisingly well (considering the load screen barely renders at all), although the timing is way off and all of the sound effects are replaced with high pitched squeals that rapidly descend in tone. (Not like I expected much from Yabause in the sound department anyway...)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm honestly considering just buying a Saturn, a copy of Powerslave, and an old TV. While I'm at it I might as well learn Japanese and import all the other Saturn games worth playing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was an feature on the Saturn in Retro Gamer magazine recently which briefly talked to the coder of Saturn Doom.

Jim Bagley posted:

When I started the project, I had to do a demo for Id Software to approve ... I started by extracting all the levels and audio and textures from the WAD files, and made my own Saturn version of this, then got an early version of the renderer working using the 3D hardware. The demo got sent off, and a couple of days later I got a call from John Carmack, who stipulated that under no circumstances could I use the 3D hardware to draw the screen. I had to use the processors like the PC. Thankfully I enjoy challenges, so it turned out to be a really enjoyable project, using both SH2s to render the display like the PC did it, using the 68000 to orchestrate them both.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

I got a call from John Carmack, who stipulated that under no circumstances could I use the 3D hardware to draw the screen. I had to use the processors like the PC.
Odd. What was Carmack's rational for that requirement?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Odd. What was Carmack's rational for that requirement?

Maybe to stem competition against the PC version of the game? Maybe Carmack didn't like the Saturn's graphics API (if it even HAD an API? IIRC most Saturn games were straight up assembly)?

In any case I sent Carmack a tweet asking him if he remembers why, with a link to the interview.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Maybe Carmack didn't like the Saturn's graphics API (if it even HAD an API? IIRC most Saturn games were straight up assembly)?
In the same article, some programmers mention that there were no libraries included in the Saturn tools, while the PS1 tools came with various libraries and were generally a lot nicer to get started on. This is completely ignoring the Saturn hardware's insistence on Quads instead of Polygons...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I heard back from John Carmack!

quote:

I was proud of Doom's subpixel accurate perspective mapping, and thought integral affine quads were ugly. I was a bit narrow.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
His tweets, just like his speeches, have at least half the words go completely over my head.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Geight posted:

His tweets, just like his speeches, have at least half the words go completely over my head.

Yeah, like... What does he mean by 'narrow'?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, like... What does he mean by 'narrow'?

Narrow minded.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Carmack is the king of technobabble.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What the hell is an integral affine quads?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

elf help book posted:

Narrow minded.

:thejoke:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I tried to figure out what he meant by "integral affine quads" and it turns out he answered this same drat question like a month ago.

I think he's talking about A) the way textures "bend" when doing affine mapping (fast compared to perspective-correct, but ugly) and B) the way the Sega Saturn used quads (rectangles) for rendering 3D graphics instead of triangles (like everybody sane does).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The real joke is that Carmack's political views are only slightly better than Sergeant MarkIV's.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

The real joke is that Carmack's political views are only slightly better than Sergeant MarkIV's.

Carmack is practically a robot so he can be forgiven.

I will not abide denigration of the arena masters in this thread. :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And C) the Saturn using low-precision numbers.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Arivia posted:

Do I want to know? :ohdear:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Woolie Wool posted:

I really don't know what to say if you're surprised that John Carmack is a libertarian

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

I think it was something really misogynistic like "women aren't cut out for technical work." I might be wrong, but whatever it was my respect for Carmack just crashed from "demi-god" to "shitlord with too good a set of talents for what he is." There's no denying he's amazing at his coding work (idk about the Rift or the space stuff) but I never want to talk to him ever.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

I think it was something really misogynistic like "women aren't cut out for technical work." I might be wrong, but whatever it was my respect for Carmack just crashed from "demi-god" to "shitlord with too good a set of talents for what he is." There's no denying he's amazing at his coding work (idk about the Rift or the space stuff) but I never want to talk to him ever.

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Edit: the only thing I can find remotely related to women in tech that John Carmack said anything about was a question regarding Oculus hiring women: "We're having a hard time hiring people that we want. It doesn't matter what they look like." Curt and maybe unfeeling toward the heavily male populated tech industry, but Carmack isn't exactly known for his empathy, and nowhere near "women don't belong in tech." Can you provide any source of John Carmack saying anything like that at all? Real talk, I'm curious.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 26, 2014

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Honestly Carmack has turned into a (somewhat robotic) human at some point and has mellowed way out from his younger days. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he said something really lovely in the past about women but I would be surprised if he still thought that today.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A couple years ago he actually wrote a pseudo-manifesto on his political views as a sort of No You Shut The gently caress Up Dad thing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm honestly considering just buying a Saturn, a copy of Powerslave, and an old TV. While I'm at it I might as well learn Japanese and import all the other Saturn games worth playing.
If you're gonna, you'd best do it quick; much like SNES and Sega CD, the Saturn market kind of exploded in market value. A CIB Powerslave seems to range from $30 to $70.

There's also a PS1 version of Powerslave; it has some subtle differences, but it's mostly the same game. Either one is much better than the PC version, IMO.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Either one is much better than the PC version, IMO.
Well, yeah. PC Powerslave is based on a version of BUILD so old it doesn't support slopes.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I could never figure out a decent control scheme for the PC game, either. Didn't seem to support mouselook from what I could tell, which is kind of a necessity for any FPS for me these days.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Arivia posted:

I think it was something really misogynistic

That's great and all but if you can't quote something then it may as well be bullshit.

Also play games, not armchair politics.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 26, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Linguica posted:

A couple years ago he actually wrote a pseudo-manifesto on his political views as a sort of No You Shut The gently caress Up Dad thing.

Carmack is...is a LIBERTARIAN?!?!! Holy loving poo poo, I can't believe that bastard. I thought I knew who he was, but now I know he's a misogynic shitlord. Thank you, thank you so much SA for enlightening me about MRA Carmack. I made a promise to never play games made by monsters like him, and I will honor it by no longer playing anything made by Carmack.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah but if you made millions of dollars by your early 20's you would probably have a crazy Libertarian world view too.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

closeted republican posted:

Carmack is...is a LIBERTARIAN?!?!! Holy loving poo poo, I can't believe that bastard. I thought I knew who he was, but now I know he's a misogynic shitlord. Thank you, thank you so much SA for enlightening me about MRA Carmack. I made a promise to never play games made by monsters like him, and I will honor it by no longer playing anything made by Carmack.
Who are you talking to?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Korendian Leader posted:

Who are you talking to?

The wall. Also, I'm sure it was sarcasm.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A generic old user freakout against anything that seems even slightly progressive about SA, from the looks of it.

I might not agree with Carmack's politics, but it's not like it poisons Doom or anything.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I felt like playing some Doom but I forgot to copy over all the wads I had over to my new computer. Can someone name all the cosmetic ones like the hd retexture one?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Linguica posted:

This is disappointing, I heard Sergeant Mk IV as a comparison and expected some sort of repulsive bigoted tirade when it's just another "beep boop I don't understand how humans work" autistic techie espousing generic libertarianism because of his inability to relate to people less fortunate than him.

Speaking of not relating to things, Half-Life 2 Episode 2 isn't that old but it's a sequel to an old game that's a sequel to an even older game, so am I a terrible person because I laughed when the Combine Advisor sucked Eli Vance's brain out? How could Valve recreate the climactic scene of the Verhoeven version of Starship Troopers, a scene deliberately constructed to be utterly ridiculous, and expect me to actually take it seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Linguica posted:

John Carmack posted:

This is sort of an open letter to my mother and stepfather, who are intelligent people, but we don’t see eye to eye on political issues.

I stopped reading there. This means his parents watch Fox News and he thinks they are dumb.