Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
You guys might know something about Doom 3. I'm trying to change maps but it just boots me to the main menu and kills the sound. If I try to load anything else or start a new game it crashes.

I've looked online and found lots of other people with this same issue but not one solution. Makes me sad. Anyone know anything about this or where I should ask that would get replies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sounds like a missing map error or something, if you open the console or check the log files they should tell you exactly what's hosed up. You can try reinstalling the game and making sure it's patched and no mods hosed up anything.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elliotw2 posted:

Sounds like a missing map error or something, if you open the console or check the log files they should tell you exactly what's hosed up. You can try reinstalling the game and making sure it's patched and no mods hosed up anything.

Did all that. Mods or no mods it's still broken. From what I remember of the log it said something about shoulders not being found on the joints for the player head or something.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Elliotw2 posted:

Megaton Edition does, since it's a port of the 360 game.

Not exactly. It's a modified version of JonoF, which apparently the XBLA version is also derived from, but they aren't the same. The rewind feature, that you stated before, doesn't actually exist in Megaton Edition as such.

Elliotw2 posted:

I wonder why Doom is the only game to have a good source port.

Doom's source code is organised and intelligible. Duke3D has most of its engine in 8503 lines, mostly uncommented, inside Engine.c.
This page should explain the horrors.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 1, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Megaton Edition does, since it's a port of the 360 game.

I wonder why Doom is the only game to have a good source port.

If anything, the Doom source port scene is a mess and has an overwhelming amount of ports for non-hardcore Doom fans. You have GZDoom as the modern port, PRBoom+ for more classic gameplay, Chocolate Doom for grognards, Doomsday for graphic whores, and Zandrom for MP. It's like the clusterfuck that is Quake 2 source ports.

Meanwhile, in Quake 1, Quakespasm is taking up the mantle of being the best source port for modders and can play on a lot of PCs, Darkplaces is for graphic whores and is quickly declining in use, and ezQuake is the standard Quakeworld port. With Duke, eDuke32 is the best source port that does almost everything except for MP.

If someone is new to Duke and/or Quake 1, I can just point them to eDuke32 and Quakespasm and send them on their way, while with Doom, I have to ask a little bit about how they want to play before recommending them a source port.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Minidust posted:

I played through episode 1 of Quake! Using Quakespasm and playing on normal difficulty, as recommended here. That was a fun slice of game right there. All the environmental stuff took me by surprise, like the way walls might move around or a stairway would kind of drop into the floor. And the Tomb Raider-esque death traps! There's this sense you don't get in Doom that the levels themselves hate you. Having a blast and can't wait to get into episode 2.

I just finished Quake recently, it can be a really quite a tense game, more so than most shooters its good at creating a sense of dread and the sudden appearance of enemies like the Ogres, Shamblers and Fiends can create massive OH poo poo moments.

On the other hand, without trying to be all :smug: "I'm good at Videogames" :smug: I didn't find it as punishing as some of the stuff I played in Doom, especially the Plutonia experiment. Quake's nightmare difficulty seems to be about the same as Ultra-violence in Doom, and there's never as many enemies on the screen as in Doom. As well as that some of the enemies just felt like more annoying versions of the Doom ones, like the Shamblers have basically the same attack as the Arch-Vile, but charge way faster so you can only be within view of one for like a second, I always just ended playing peekaboo with them, running out of a cover for a second to shotgun them once and then back until it died (which, with all their health, would sometimes take forever). Likewise, the Vore's have the same homing attack as the Revenant, but its practically impossible for it to loose track of you when it crosses a certain distance or to smash into the scenery, so again I usually ended up playing peekaboo before it could get its attacks off. I found that really slowed down the action compared to Doom, and not in a fun or interesting way, in Doom you can take on Revenants in the open and run around with their missiles following you that you can dupe into smashing into a wall or run across portions of a map before an Arch-Vile finished its attack, that doesn't really seem to be possible in quake so there were lots of times I was peeking around corners taking potshots at the enemies.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

khwarezm posted:

I just finished Quake recently, it can be a really quite a tense game, more so than most shooters its good at creating a sense of dread and the sudden appearance of enemies like the Ogres, Shamblers and Fiends can create massive OH poo poo moments.

On the other hand, without trying to be all :smug: "I'm good at Videogames" :smug: I didn't find it as punishing as some of the stuff I played in Doom, especially the Plutonia experiment. Quake's nightmare difficulty seems to be about the same as Ultra-violence in Doom, and there's never as many enemies on the screen as in Doom. As well as that some of the enemies just felt like more annoying versions of the Doom ones, like the Shamblers have basically the same attack as the Arch-Vile, but charge way faster so you can only be within view of one for like a second, I always just ended playing peekaboo with them, running out of a cover for a second to shotgun them once and then back until it died (which, with all their health, would sometimes take forever). Likewise, the Vore's have the same homing attack as the Revenant, but its practically impossible for it to loose track of you when it crosses a certain distance or to smash into the scenery, so again I usually ended up playing peekaboo before it could get its attacks off. I found that really slowed down the action compared to Doom, and not in a fun or interesting way, in Doom you can take on Revenants in the open and run around with their missiles following you that you can dupe into smashing into a wall or run across portions of a map before an Arch-Vile finished its attack, that doesn't really seem to be possible in quake so there were lots of times I was peeking around corners taking potshots at the enemies.

Keep in mind that Vore bombs can be impossible to shake off in Nightmare difficulty. This is why I prefer Hard; you can always dispose of a Vore bomb in it, but still have Nightmare's enemy layout.

You can use Vore balls to cause in-fighting, like you can with Revenant homing rockets. The Vore balls will trail you closer than the Revenant rockets do, but it's quite possible to lure the ball into whacking an nearby Ogre, Death Knight, or Fiend. There's one part in the first expansion pack where doing this turns a difficult encounter into a joke.

Even then, I usually don't find it hard to juggle a Vore's bomb while I'm killing one. Just move in a decent-sized "o"-shaped pattern and it'll never hit you. Recently, I've been saving Vore bomb disposal for after killing them so I don't have to worry about doing it all-over again after getting rid of a bomb in mid-fight.

Shamblers are easy if there's one of them, but if there's anything else in the room, it can be diffiuclt juggling removing the other enemies and the Shambler because, unlike the Arch-Vile the Shamber will try to close in on you. If you have two or more, then it's even harder because you have to take out one while hoping the other won't get close enough to force you from your hiding spot.

Shambler use is really my only major complaint with the iD maps; they treat them like a boss that should always be fought one-on-one, but they're much more effective if treated like a melee-happy Arch Vile that can't revive enemies.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 1, 2015

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

closeted republican posted:

If anything, the Doom source port scene is a mess and has an overwhelming amount of ports

And yet you managed to sum up the important ones pretty quickly, honestly zdoom/gzdoom is enough to most maps.

One thing to note with quakespasm is it bugged out on me on e4m4 and I had to noclip to the key. Also lots of z fighting which I don't remember in other ports.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Wolfenstein: The New Order is fantastic. Everything about this game is amazing. The graphics are spectacular even on low, the music is incredible, the story is simple yet incredibly well written, characters have depth and arcs, and while the subject matter of the game is gruesome and hosed up the game knows how to have fun with it. There's plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, and not just from the increasingly creative ways nazis end up dying.

This is all neglecting to mention the most important part, the gameplay, which represents everything a first-person-shooter ought to be. The game offers you true freedom of choice, allowing you to approach the game as a stealth sneak-em-up, a tactical shooter like modern FPS games, or a crazy no-holds-barred jump-around-and-shoot like early FPS games, and each one is a perfectly valid way to play the game. Whether you're powersliding toward a group of nazis and gunning them down with a shotgun in each arm, putting a bullet between the eyes of a nazi commander before he can react, or ducking between hallways and intelligently using cover to peek around and burst-fire at overwhelming odds, the game makes you feel like a total badass.

Game of the Year 2014.

(I also loved the little Commander Keen references, like Blazkowicz saying "Aw, nuts." when a giant nazi robot comes out of a door)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

closeted republican posted:

If anything, the Doom source port scene is a mess and has an overwhelming amount of ports for non-hardcore Doom fans. You have GZDoom as the modern port, PRBoom+ for more classic gameplay, Chocolate Doom for grognards, Doomsday for graphic whores, and Zandrom for MP. It's like the clusterfuck that is Quake 2 source ports.

Meanwhile, in Quake 1, Quakespasm is taking up the mantle of being the best source port for modders and can play on a lot of PCs, Darkplaces is for graphic whores and is quickly declining in use, and ezQuake is the standard Quakeworld port. With Duke, eDuke32 is the best source port that does almost everything except for MP.

If someone is new to Duke and/or Quake 1, I can just point them to eDuke32 and Quakespasm and send them on their way, while with Doom, I have to ask a little bit about how they want to play before recommending them a source port.

On the other hand, all of the Doom and Quake ones actually work. And honestly Doom's isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. GZDoom/Chocolate/Zandronum for Modern/Purist/MP isn't THAT much harder than Quakespasm/Quakespasm/ezQuake. And Carmack knows what comments are.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order is fantastic. Everything about this game is amazing. The graphics are spectacular even on low, the music is incredible, the story is simple yet incredibly well written, characters have depth and arcs, and while the subject matter of the game is gruesome and hosed up the game knows how to have fun with it. There's plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, and not just from the increasingly creative ways nazis end up dying.

This is all neglecting to mention the most important part, the gameplay, which represents everything a first-person-shooter ought to be. The game offers you true freedom of choice, allowing you to approach the game as a stealth sneak-em-up, a tactical shooter like modern FPS games, or a crazy no-holds-barred jump-around-and-shoot like early FPS games, and each one is a perfectly valid way to play the game. Whether you're powersliding toward a group of nazis and gunning them down with a shotgun in each arm, putting a bullet between the eyes of a nazi commander before he can react, or ducking between hallways and intelligently using cover to peek around and burst-fire at overwhelming odds, the game makes you feel like a total badass.

Game of the Year 2014.

(I also loved the little Commander Keen references, like Blazkowicz saying "Aw, nuts." when a giant nazi robot comes out of a door)

I loved The New Order and The Old Blood is well worth it too if you pick it on sale (9.99€ was a great pricepoint for it). Wolf TNO has great length, nice and useful weapons, good gameplay and a character that had no charisma at all (they tried at Wolfenstein 2009) is now a classic badass. The guy is a nazi-hater to the bones and it shows on the dialogues and while not real, it feels like they used the super soldier serum with him, being tall, strong and being able to take a beat.

B.J. Blazcowicz is a badass. I never liked Wolfeinstein 3D but Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein (2009) and The New Order+The Old Blood are amazing games.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm sure that Far Cry 4 is a perfectly fine game, but I am still baffled that it won like, every Shooter of the Year award over TNO. Even just gameplay-wise, TNO is a masterpiece.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Keiya posted:

On the other hand, all of the Doom and Quake ones actually work. And honestly Doom's isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. GZDoom/Chocolate/Zandronum for Modern/Purist/MP isn't THAT much harder than Quakespasm/Quakespasm/ezQuake. And Carmack knows what comments are.

EDuke32 works for me. :colbert:

catlord posted:

I'm sure that Far Cry 4 is a perfectly fine game, but I am still baffled that it won like, every Shooter of the Year award over TNO. Even just gameplay-wise, TNO is a masterpiece.

Being an open world first person game is essentially the video game equivalent of Oscar Bait. No matter how good or bad it is, someone is going to give it Shooter of the Year or RPG of the Year.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Wolfenstone:TNO & TOB were a pair of good games I got for under 30 bucks during sale times. They're both immensely meaty, pretty, and satisfying. If you even slightly enjoy shooter games, you'd do yourself a favor to pick them up the next time they're cheap--which isn't to say they're not worth their normal price, but you'll be amazed how good they are IMO.

Edit: Even playing Necrovision: Lost Company, I'm happy that both Necrovision and Wolfenstein (double edit: and painkiller to an extent) still have remnants of many different branching rooms with little ammo and goodie caches in every other corner, prompting you to not just run into the next room blindly. That's one of my favorite concepts from the early games, prompting you to sniff around for anything you can grab. It's a very rewarding experience.

Morter fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 1, 2015

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'm on my second Wolf TNO playthrough since I bought it during the Steam Sale, while other games I haven't played once gather dust. If I had to find things to complain about, I'd say the run-and-gunning is a little too unforgiving on higher difficulties, the shrapnel baddies hit just hard enough to be irritating, and Nazi atrocities are laid on a touch thick, like they're trying to motivate me to kill them beyond the reason "they're Nazis, duuuh." But that's splitting hairs, everything else is solid gold - especially the assault rifle, which is easily the most satisfying one I've used in a game in years.

I've gotta pick up The Old Blood the next time it's on sale. I need more modern Wolf in my life.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I didn't think TNO was as good as the hype said it was - the core gameplay was good but it was marred by constant cutscenes and kinda jumpy exposition. I can see why people liked the characters and stuff but it felt ham-fisted to me; I didn't care about the people much because apart from radio contact they never really had a prescence in the actual gameplay side of things.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Jblade posted:

I didn't think TNO was as good as the hype said it was - the core gameplay was good but it was marred by constant cutscenes and kinda jumpy exposition. I can see why people liked the characters and stuff but it felt ham-fisted to me; I didn't care about the people much because apart from radio contact they never really had a prescence in the actual gameplay side of things.

I feel it (successfully) played out like Inglorious Basterds the game, more or less, and that wasn't the most poignant or deep movie, either. Just had a lot of enjoyable elements.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Old Blood was alright, especially considering it's so cheap, but it really doesn't hold a candle to The New Order - it's lacking the batshit insane pulp plot shenanigans and thus ends up being very generic. It's still a satisfying FPS, but it's nowhere near as amazing as TNO.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Stop downing every bottle of wine, beer, and zyme you come across… :v:

One of my fondest OG Deus Ex memories is breaking into that one liquor store and collecting all the bottles in neat little rows on the floor, then drinking them all as fast as I could. My view didn't stop spinning for like 10 minutes, it probably took me 2 or 3 just to stumble over to the door and crawl out of the store
:cheers:

:guinness:

:barf:

:morning:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I loved TNO because they let BJ have one liners, except he kinda half whispers them to himself like a crazy person

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I loved TNO because they made BJ into a crazy person.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I loved TNO because "gently caress you, moon" is Wolfenstein canon

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Glagha posted:

I loved TNO because they let BJ have one liners, except he kinda half whispers them to himself like a crazy person

Geight posted:

I loved TNO because they made BJ into a crazy person.

Morter posted:

I loved TNO because "gently caress you, moon" is Wolfenstein canon

Absolutely valid reasons to like TNO. Also the executions with the pipe in The Old Blood are brutal :can:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Glagha posted:

I thought that was an internal monologue.

I'm coming for you, you goddammed Nazi spaceman.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
We also can't forget the AMAZING soundtrack that plays when you step out onto the Moon's surface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u10bggcmi1c
The Moon was my favorite part of the game - it sold, in no uncertain terms, how absolutely hosed things had gotten. The Nazis had a god-damm moonbase, hanging like rotten fruit in the night sky for everyone on Earth to see. What we think of today as one of the peaks of human endeavor was reduced to a monument to your (the player's) personal failure.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SilentW posted:

We also can't forget the AMAZING soundtrack that plays when you step out onto the Moon's surface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u10bggcmi1c
The Moon was my favorite part of the game - it sold, in no uncertain terms, how absolutely hosed things had gotten. The Nazis had a god-damm moonbase, hanging like rotten fruit in the night sky for everyone on Earth to see. What we think of today as one of the peaks of human endeavor was reduced to a monument to your (the player's) personal failure.

Yeah the music was spectacular. One of the best video game soundtracks.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

TNO was like RAGE in that I needed to upgrade my PC in order to be able to play it, except TNO was actually good. I hope I don't have to upgrade again For Doom 4.

I want to play Wolf 2009 but my options are either :filez: or paying too much for a copy on Amazon or eBay, neither option being that appealing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

TNO was like RAGE in that I needed to upgrade my PC in order to be able to play it, except TNO was actually good. I hope I don't have to upgrade again For Doom 4.

I want to play Wolf 2009 but my options are either :filez: or paying too much for a copy on Amazon or eBay, neither option being that appealing.

I think that Bethesda will eventually get the rights like they did with Quake 4 as it is a Raven game aswell but who knows.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
At the risk of getting the thread yet further away from the 90s, is the PS3 version of Wolfenstein TNO worth playing?

I just tried playing the PS3 version of Rage (which I think is the same engine) and I could only take the awful texture pop-in for about ten minutes. That game was seriously not fit to be released.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

joedevola posted:

At the risk of getting the thread yet further away from the 90s, is the PS3 version of Wolfenstein TNO worth playing?

I just tried playing the PS3 version of Rage (which I think is the same engine) and I could only take the awful texture pop-in for about ten minutes. That game was seriously not fit to be released.

No. I don't even play shooters for the graphics, but it seemed as bad as like Killzone. It's more worth playing on the PC on low graphics.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Guillermus posted:

I think that Bethesda will eventually get the rights like they did with Quake 4 as it is a Raven game aswell but who knows.

Is that why it disappeared from Steam? I thought Bethesda would've already had the rights to distribute it when they acquired iD.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
TNO is a load of fun. I like that BJ suffered a massive head wound that left him only able to speak in cowboy poetry. Klaus was great too, and I love that they didn't make him a secret double traitor.

I still use the phrase "Bang Bang Soda-Pop".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

joedevola posted:

It has serious texture streaming issues and often can't keep up with you as you move through the level, as well as some nasty random lock-ups. I gave up and waited until my next PC upgrade.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Starhawk64 posted:

I bought my physical copy right in the sweet spot after it was put in the bargain bins, but before every copy was sold out and it was pulled from Steam :smug:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Absolutely stunning piece that plays when you return to the Kreisau Circle when it gets attacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUINujrrwY

TNO is a miracle that shouldn't exist.

And I absolutely adore The Old Blood. It's so perfectly paced and I can just jump in and play through the whole thing if I'm in the mood for some drat Fine Nazi Killing. The screenprint I won in some contest finally came in. It's a dope poster of this:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The composer on TNO and TOB is also doing Doom 4. He posted a sample on Instagram a while back of some industrial synths giving way to crunching guitars, but he deleted it. :(

Here's a recent interview he did about working on Wolfenstein.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Absolutely stunning piece that plays when you return to the Kreisau Circle when it gets attacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUINujrrwY

It reminds me of pink floyd but more bang-y , I love it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They should just ripoff metal bands for Doom 4 like they did in the Good Ones.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

They should just ripoff metal bands for Doom 4 like they did in the Good Ones.
There's an Overclocked Remix that Mick Gordon did an entire goddamn decade ago that does this, so at the least he's capable of doing it. :)

Speaking of Doom and metal, the composer on Rise of the Triad 2013 did a full cover of Doom Episode 1's choons with Brutal Doom in mind. It's pretty good and respects the slower, atmospheric moments in the original soundtrack while still keeping the :rock: going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

The composer on TNO and TOB is also doing Doom 4. He posted a sample on Instagram a while back of some industrial synths giving way to crunching guitars, but he deleted it. :(

Here's a recent interview he did about working on Wolfenstein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb6lRfVvoUA