Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Wamdoodle posted:

Goddamn that game could have been awesome :smith:

Yeah, they really nailed the look of the whole thing, and the atmosphere too. It's just a pity the gameplay was so basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

closeted republican posted:

DM7 Remix: On paper, this is a remix of the unused DM7 map. However, in practice, it's a really cool vertical map themed on E1M5.

Great visual work on an original source map that was pretty plain.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, they really nailed the look of the whole thing, and the atmosphere too. It's just a pity the gameplay was so basic.

I "liked" how they seemingly designed it as a tactical shooter, but then made the levels corridors and every enemy bulletsponges. I need to finish it at some point, but the gameplay is just so lacking, it's a massive, massive shame, especially following up Undying.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

badass

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

Great visual work on an original source map that was pretty plain.

Agreed. It's amazing what he did with a map that was very average in looks and gameplay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

All of us in this thread need to have an all-out Doom/Quake/Heretic DM-fest with each other. How many of us are there, 20? 30? It's totally doable.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've never played Quake 1 multi :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Overbite posted:

I've never played Quake 1 multi :shobon:

Well, what a great time to start! :clint:

Also, page 666 was 30 pages ago? :psyduck: Jesus christ, this thread moves faster than I thought.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Last time I remember playing with everyone in this thread was for Doom's 18th birthday... Which was about 4 years ago :corsair:

Wish I could find the Youtube capture of that, it's buried somewhere in the middle of the old thread I think.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

closeted republican posted:

Some more Quake 1 map mini-reviews:
Thanks for all the reviews! Keeping my quakeinjector busy.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Shadow Hog posted:

What makes that one fuchsia so much more wrong than the other almost-identical fuchsia?

(I almost want somebody to plug that palette in for a laugh.)

I once made a mod that converted the quake palette to sepia tones, for the "Noir Quake" effect...
http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/files/single_player/mods/noir.zip

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

All of us in this thread need to have an all-out Doom/Quake/Heretic DM-fest with each other. How many of us are there, 20? 30? It's totally doable.

Yo I'm game. I suck rear end at Quake and I've never played Doom DM (just co-op multiplayer) but whatever sounds fun.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Seconded, I'm down for whatever. Heretic DM would be fun, but there's nothing like a big-rear end classic Doom/Quake brawl.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I'm up for this if we do Doom.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm liking Strange Aeons, a lot, actually. It's got a good amount of the Blood feeling to it. I'm at E2M5 which is called The Juggernaut and it takes place on a giant tank/train type thing that feels like it was pulled right out of Blood. It gives me some flashbacks to the first level of chapter two of DeathWish, actually. It just got updated to add a fourth episode too.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

What makes that one fuchsia so much more wrong than the other almost-identical fuchsia?

(I almost want somebody to plug that palette in for a laugh.)

If someone can convert this to a standard Quake palette, I'll do it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
All this Quake talk reminds me I made this papercraft shambler like 6 or 7 years ago and he's still holding up. I was kinda disappointed in it because I didn't make it perfectly but it's held up nicely. Dustily, too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…and now I'm imagining what Quake would look like with a cel shading filter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tippis posted:

…and now I'm imagining what Quake would look like with a cel shading filter.

There was once a Q2 mod that did cell shading (can't remember the name unfortunately) that looked pretty cool...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd play the hell out of Paper Quake.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks for all the reviews! Keeping my quakeinjector busy.

I'm glad you're liking them. Theree's been little Q1SP map talk compared to Doom map talk, so I figured i'd document what I've been playing in hopes of inspiring others to try out the maps and custom Q1 content in general.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
There was a Quake 2 mod that replaced the rendering with dynamic Magic Eye pictures.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

hmm indeed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpx3pupMKg

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Never forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Paper Doom sounds amazing too actually.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

If someone can convert this to a standard Quake palette, I'll do it.
I made a palette.lmp file out of it, but if you can believe it, I cannot find a single worthwhile tool out there to generate colormap.lmp. None. Not a single one. Best I can find is screwpal, which doesn't care about existing palette.lmp files and would much rather make its own, or John Carmack's own QLUMPY, which is A) a DOS program, so I have to run it through DOSBox, and B) apparently designed to work with screenshots in a format I'm not familiar with and C) is just about as useless overall for me, especially given that it comes with no documentation at all (I mean, there's the source code, which is mildly helpful, but not helpful enough).

There's some code snippet for generating colormap.lmp on the Quake Wiki, but not a single tool that actually implements it. Why?

It looks okay with the stock colormap.lmp, I guess, and it's not like hardware renderers will even use it, so I guess you can obtain it (sans colormap.lmp) here?

I've tried getting this to run recently. Changes the screen resolution, but then immediately crashes. Which is weird, I know I've gotten it working just fine in the past.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Overbite posted:

All this Quake talk reminds me I made this papercraft shambler like 6 or 7 years ago and he's still holding up. I was kinda disappointed in it because I didn't make it perfectly but it's held up nicely. Dustily, too.

More polygons than the actual Shambler, 4/10 :v:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I played through the Master Levels today (uh, kind of, I played all of them, have only actually finished half on UV, because I was pistol starting / recording). I had touched some of them before, but for the most part I never sat down to really get into them. They are pretty drat good.

Klie's levels are the weakest, I'd say. Not bad, but just... lacking. He uses some weird switch progression at times, and his levels just feel kind of empty. I saw kmx say something about Klie having a lovely computer and that being why his texturing was so plain, so that makes sense at least. I spent wayyy too long trying to get the yellow key in The Garrison... didn't realize I could just walk over the drat fence to grab it.

Jim Flynn is amazing, though I already knew that. I preferred Titan Manor, but Trapped on Titan is great too. The puzzles are fun to figure out. Anderson's levels had an almost modern level of polish.

Willits / Chaser's levels were kind of whatever. Not bad but not memorable.

I really enjoyed Mustaine's contribution, Paradox.

Which brings me to Kvernmo. Fucker made some hard levels. I like what I've played of them, but I mostly bounced off them. I'll have to come back to them with my A game to finish them up.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

You better watch out! Ranger knows about timed hits!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

You better watch out! Ranger knows about timed hits!

I want to see Quake 1's monsters in Paper Mario style. I bet the Shambler, Vore, and Fiend would be adorable.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

quake on me
quake me on

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Keiya posted:

There was a Quake 2 mod that replaced the rendering with dynamic Magic Eye pictures.

I have a serious Magic Eye problem and I must know where to find this if real.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I have a serious Magic Eye problem and I must know where to find this if real.
Quake II AbSIRD

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Thank you for this :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

incredible...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQaKv2eYOuo

:psyboom: holy poo poo that rules

Doesn't work in motion though, but still really cool.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PCorf released Doomed Space Wars today. It's a 12 map (9+3 secret) episode with a ton of dm maps thrown in as well for some reason.

It's really polished, with great texturing and clean visuals. The map design seems alright (I'm only 2 maps in with a couple peeks at other maps), at least in terms of clear progression and open spaces. There's no major miscues at least. The gameplay? Eh... it feels like someone played Valiant and decided the best part about that wad was the enemies teleporting in behind you constantly. Like, every time you hit a switch. And there are a lot of switches.

It has new monsters and new sounds for the old roster. The new monsters seem fine, except for the Security Droid, which is just a huge gently caress you the couple times I've seen it (hey, here's an ambush with a flying monster that shoots rockets, hope you like reloading!). The weapons feel a bit different too, sounds for sure, maybe other small edits, but not sure about that.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

TIL that Delphi Doom has "turn head" dedicated keys

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Too bad the eyes continue their animation instead of following where the camera turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Linguica posted:

TIL that Delphi Doom has "turn head" dedicated keys

I watched this WAY too long before realizing it had already looped a bunch of times. Why won't he move forward?