Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

david_a posted:

Apparently nobody saw the word "mods" in this sentence. This was not an attack on Dark Places itself!

This video is the absolute worst I've ever seen Quake look. :barf: I wonder what Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud think when they see people replace their textures with some poo poo scaled version run through 50 PhotoShop filters. Was the Shambler model a hacked version of the Doom3 Hell Knight???

The Shambler is from Shambler's Castle, a really ugly Doom 3 mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

catlord posted:

Only the lighting comes from Darkplaces itself, everything else is another thing.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

darkplaces only adds the different lighting in that video, it doesnt come with any textures, sounds or models. you don't even have to use the new lighting effects, there's even presets to make it look exactly like original quake. its just a nice sourceport worked on by an enthusiast.
I did specify "mods", guys; I'm well aware DarkPlaces is a fine port that can look very vanilla if you let it, since I was regularly using it until recurring rendering glitches with high-detail maps (and gib spawner issues with one of the mapjams) pushed me to QuakeSpasm...

I was more asserting that modding it to hell and back like that would be your Special Edition to vanilla Quake's Star Wars. If George Lucas hired a bunch of low-talent Star Wars fans to make all the assets for it. This analogy is going off the rails, I'm going to stop now.

jimmy boag posted:

why are there ghosts coming out of the shamblers???
I think I may have used this mod in the past. I only DL'd it because it let you increase the amount of gibs an enemy explodes into (because something exploding with 30 heads coming out of it amuses me, I don't know), but it's also filled with a lot of weird poo poo like enemies turning into ghost enemies that fire a parting shot at you after you kill them or monsters that ally with you or something. You can turn all of that off, but I have no idea why anyone would want it on in the first place.

It also lets you gib the twitching crucified zombies scattered about the maps, which was interesting I guess.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 4, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What's the deal with UT2004 on a 16:9 display? A lot of the supported resolutions are at a weird aspect ratio. I've tried some custom resolutions but does that stretch the image technically? I'll stick to not-quite-widescreen if that's the case.

Also, I realize this will vary with every PC, but what are the best ways to maintain a solid 60 fps in that game? I've got a decent rig, not a "gaming laptop" by any stretch, but it's fairly modern with a dedicated nvidia gpu.
:pcgaming1:

closeted republican posted:

Sounds like you really liked it. :unsmith: I think you should continue your Q1 experience by playing the first expansion, then finding some great custom maps to play.

The telefrag thing isn't really explained at all and there's no way to figure out you need to telefrag Shubby if you've never really telefragged before, so there's no shame in looking it up.
I did really like it! Pretty sure I have that expansion (Steam id superpack) so I'll definitely get around to it. Yeah that telefrag thing was weird, even if I noticed the visual clue, I probably would have dismissed it as a clipping glitch!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

For Quake map sets I'd recommend Beyond Belief and IKSPQ as some of your first, they are low to moderate in difficulty and early classics that are foundational to the history of Quake mapping.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
UE2.5 is old enough that it has a preset list of resolutions, all 4:3, 3:2, or 16:10. You can set a custom resolution by finding your UT2004.ini and changing these two lines to your resolution of choice.
code:
FullscreenViewportX=800
FullscreenViewportY=600
This works on basically any Unreal Engine game, from Unreal 1 to the UT4 beta as well.

edit: No, it doesn't stretch the image, since you can set a custom FOV from 70 to 110 in game, and in the user.ini file you can set it to anything you want.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I could've sworn UT2K4 supported 16:9 natively... I guess it's been too long since I've tried it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Woolie Wool posted:

No, I want a nice modern software Quake port.

For what it's worth I do too, and I'm super-down with someone else doing all the legwork and experimentation with various ports I've never heard of to find one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shadow Hog posted:

I did specify "mods", guys; I'm well aware DarkPlaces is a fine port that can look very vanilla if you let it, since I was regularly using it until recurring rendering glitches with high-detail maps (and gib spawner issues with one of the mapjams) pushed me to QuakeSpasm...

I was more asserting that modding it to hell and back like that would be your Special Edition to vanilla Quake's Star Wars. If George Lucas hired a bunch of low-talent Star Wars fans to make all the assets for it. This analogy is going off the rails, I'm going to stop now.
I think I may have used this mod in the past. I only DL'd it because it let you increase the amount of gibs an enemy explodes into (because something exploding with 30 heads coming out of it amuses me, I don't know), but it's also filled with a lot of weird poo poo like enemies turning into ghost enemies that fire a parting shot at you after you kill them or monsters that ally with you or something. You can turn all of that off, but I have no idea why anyone would want it on in the first place.

It also lets you gib the twitching crucified zombies scattered about the maps, which was interesting I guess.

There was a guide posted a looooong time ago that was basically sold as a straightforward way to "beautify quake" on the Darkplaces engine--bump mapping and dynamic lights and higher resolution textures--that made no mention of the fact that it also added ghosts (or the chance of ghosts) to killed enemies. It was such a bizarre addition that was enabled by default, I imagine a lot of people were rather confused to go in thinking they would just update Quake's graphics without modifying the actual gameplay and end up with something like that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
So who remembers that UT2k4 had a software renderer?

It actually runs pretty well on the default 400x300 upscaled to 800x600 these days.

Even if I push it to my usual 1600x900 windowed, it's as playable as UT2k4 was on my computer in 2004.

RAD implied at the time that you could actually play UT2k4 on a Pentium 3 at 320x240 reasonably well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Woolie Wool posted:

No, I want a nice modern software Quake port.

Geight posted:

For what it's worth I do too, and I'm super-down with someone else doing all the legwork and experimentation with various ports I've never heard of to find one.

Wouldn't that just be WinQuake with an updated UI, a few more resolution options, and perhaps slightly touched-up networking code?

Elliotw2 posted:

So who remembers that UT2k4 had a software renderer?

You know, it almost wouldn't surprise me to find that UE4 has a software renderer hidden away someplace deep within its undocumented options. :D

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shadow Hog posted:

Huh, sorry, I somehow just... missed the mods bit, but you were responding to someone talking about a hypothetical source port that automatically added all those things in as defaults. I actually don't think that looks terrible, though not how I'd run it. Certainly better than Doomsday with all those 3D models and absolutely terrible high-res textures. Why people call it the eye candy port is beyond me.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It requires raising the engine limits and writing new level loading code for BSP2 format, and if you want to make modern levels look their best, adding colored lighting and fog. super8 does all of them, but breaks the lighting system in pretty severe ways, none of the others have everything needed to be a good alternative to QuakeSpasm--Engoo is missing raised limits, music, and BSP2 support, WinQuake Mark V is missing colored lighting, fog, and interface scaling (but holy poo poo software Nehahra :woop:),, Makaqu is missing basically everything except the interface scaling, and Quakeforge is a pile of flaming garbage that seems to have been made with the same mentality as recent Doom Legacy versions.

I hope that my purchase of Visual C++ 6.0 for Blzut3 will be the first step towards making Engoo into the port that will bridge the gap.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So I'm almost finished Alien Vendetta, and the difficulty curve is a bit... erratic. Around the halfway point I got some levels that felt like they had more enemies than the whole of Doom 2, I think there was somewhere with something like 1300 enemies, as you might imagine my reaction was a bit :stare: when I saw the kill counter. Then the next level goes 70+ and it feels like nothing special.

Still at times it makes me yearn for Go 2 It back in Plutonia, there was one level set in an ancient pyramid that felt like a PS1 Tomb Raider level cut for being too confusing and obnoxious, there are levels where Arch-viles occupy the Roles of imps in the base game, and loving cyberdemons occupy that of a baron of hell or Mancubus or something. Currently I'm on this level, and its like the game is just saying 'you know what gently caress it, just die'.

Do people try to pistol start this WAD? I can hardly imagine doing it without saving within levels, let alone starting with a peashooter.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dark Dome is the hardest map in the entire megawad, once you've finished it it only gets easier from there. Have patience.

But yes, people have pistol started Dark Dome. With fast monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDww8yjnbGM
God bless mad Japanese speedrunners. :japan:

Also Misri Halek, the pyramid level, is one of my favorite Doom levels of all time. It's actually mostly linear so it's a lot easier to navigate than it at first appears.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

khwarezm posted:

So I'm almost finished Alien Vendetta, and the difficulty curve is a bit... erratic. Around the halfway point I got some levels that felt like they had more enemies than the whole of Doom 2, I think there was somewhere with something like 1300 enemies, as you might imagine my reaction was a bit :stare: when I saw the kill counter. Then the next level goes 70+ and it feels like nothing special.

Still at times it makes me yearn for Go 2 It back in Plutonia, there was one level set in an ancient pyramid that felt like a PS1 Tomb Raider level cut for being too confusing and obnoxious, there are levels where Arch-viles occupy the Roles of imps in the base game, and loving cyberdemons occupy that of a baron of hell or Mancubus or something. Currently I'm on this level, and its like the game is just saying 'you know what gently caress it, just die'.

Do people try to pistol start this WAD? I can hardly imagine doing it without saving within levels, let alone starting with a peashooter.

Yeah when I hit one of those levels that dumps cyberdemons directly on top of you without adequate dodge space, I pretty much peace outed when it came to AV. It was a fun mod until it kicked the difficulty directly off the scale. Had to accept my limits as a doomer and realize I wasn't ready for it yet.

BTSX is fun though. :sureboat:

Also, U-life is a half life mapset or episode that appears to have started life as a straight quake map. Running into switches to activate them, quake sounds on the doors, and that old brown industrialized palette. :dogbutton: (I Know half life was originally a quake engine game, but this mapset feels straight up quake quake, not half life quake.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Woolie Wool posted:

Also Misri Halek, the pyramid level, is one of my favorite Doom levels of all time. It's actually mostly linear so it's a lot easier to navigate than it at first appears.

I suppose when I think about it it wasn't that bad to navigate, but there was some shenanigans going on with switches and doors that took me ages to figure out and meant a lot of back and forth. Plus at the end my time was so bad that the game mocked me, gently caress you game that level was gigantic.

Klaus88 posted:

Yeah when I hit one of those levels that dumps cyberdemons directly on top of you without adequate dodge space, I pretty much peace outed when it came to AV. It was a fun mod until it kicked the difficulty directly off the scale. Had to accept my limits as a doomer and realize I wasn't ready for it yet.

Oh man that was another thing, fighting Cyberdemons in tight hallways. Though to be fair I realized that you can consistently avoid their projectiles without too much movement by getting into a left-right rhythm when you get the three rocket timing down.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 4, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
More Quake 1 SP reviews:

For My Babies 1: An average 1997 map. The map flow is fine and the ammo and, but the huge problem is that you have zero room to move throughout the majority of the map because msot of it conists of corridors and stairs just wide enough to accomidate a single character. This means you're going to take a lot of hits that you otherwise would be able to dodge, like Ogre grenades that other maps would let you zoom by with ease. It makes it feel less like Quake 1 and more like an endurance race where you have to kill enemies and gobble up medkits faster than enemies can hurt you. Otherise, I'd say it's an half-decent 1997 map.

Jackboot: A fun and easy base map packed with a lot of base and fantasy monsters. The map designer is generious enough to give you a Nailgun early on and a ton of nail ammo, so crowd control is no problem. The map occasionally sets up Enforcers and Grunts in bunkers that let monsters fire at you while hitting them on your end can be difficult. I think it's a cool idea and wish more maps would use it.

Map design is linear and set up in a way that it's impossible to get lost. There are two enemy traps in the map, but they weren't too difficult for me. One of them is in an optional side-path, but the Green Armor it gives you is worth it. The other is either really easy or quite didfficult, depending on if you pick them off from the second floor or hop down on the floor they're on to kill them.

There's plenty of ammo in this map, so you're free to open fire with whatever you want. Health is in good supply as well.

Architecture is pretty smooth for Quake 1; lots of nice roudned surfaces on floors. Not too much details compared to other base maps, but there's just enough to make it look decent. One commentator on Quaddicted said it was like a DM map, and I agree.

The only major issue I have with the map is that one point requires you to do a slope jump in order to proceed. If you have no idea about how to use Quake 1's physics, this part is impossible to get through unless you grenade jump or noclip.

Guardhouse: A suprisingly good 1996 map. Gameplay is quite decent and the map overall is a nice treat.

The map design reminds me a bit of a mix of Q1 and Doom; it has several ID1 Q1 visual tropes, but the overall flow and map design is pretty Doomy. The architecture istself isn't impressive, but there are some cool details here, like crosses with torches in the center of them, that make it stand out.

Ammo is a bit tighter than most maps, even though it doesn't look it at first. You'll find yourself Super Shotgunning things a lot if you freely use your weapons, so keep your nails and rockets for big crowds. Health distribution is okay, but you might find yourself in trouble if you don't pick up the somewhat obvious Megahealth secret.

Speaking of crowds, this map really doesn't hold any punches for a 1996 map. You'll have to kill two Fiends with just the Super Shotgun early on, one room is packed with Death Knights and Enforcers, and the last bits of the map has you return to the first parts of the map, but with lots of Fiends roaming the hallways. Be ready for some tense fights.

The only part of the map I didn't like was the small area right after a required run though a slime pit with a Biosuit. as soon as you pop your head out of the slime, you're bum-rushed by Ogres and a Grunt in a very small space. If you spent some time killing the zombies in the slime, you're not going to have enough ammo nor time left in your Biosuit to kill the enemies before you take damage from the slime while getting hammered by the enemies. Very annoying.

For a 1996 map, Guardhouse is quite good. It's worth a playthrough.

Armageddon 2: A map made in 1996 by the guy that eventually made Beyond Belief. It feels very similar to an default map, in a good way.

Architecture is pretty plain, but the nice lighting (by iD1 standards) helps the map pop out.

The map has the Super Shotgun and nailguns, but nail ammo is so limited you're going to spend most of your time with the shotguns. Health can be a bit limited if you have fairly low Quake skills, but I found it was decent.

Map flow is good for the most part; but there are some hiccups. The first one is that a switch that you must shoort in order to proceed is semi-hidden in the shadows. If you do'nt spot it right away and know that you have to shoot it, you're going to be spending a little bit of time figuring out what to do next. Another one is near the end, where you hit a switch to reveal a staircase. The problem is that the door that leads to the staircase is to the side in a small room you quickly zoom through. I had to run through most of the map again before finding the door the switch opened up. It wasn't bad because of how short the map is, but I wish the door was placed somewhere much more obvious.

Most of the map is pretty easy. You spend about a quarter of the map with just the Shotgun, but enemy placement is easy enough that you can defeat them with little difficulty.

The only difficult part is a trap around halfway through the map that I thought was a bit of a dickish move. There is a staircase that leads to a fork. Going to the left leads lets you continue, while the right one is a dead-end that has a Fiend. The problem is that there's no way to know the Fiend is there if you take a left without bothering to look right, so you get a nasty surrpise that can kill you if you're not prepared. There are some bars you can look through that lets you see the Fiend beforehand, but there's no reason to actually look at the bars until it's too late.

One cool thing I liked was the scramble for the Silver Key at the end. When you first enter the room containing the Silver Key, it goes down to a room below the one you're in. After defeating several enemies and using a switch to open a staircase below, you finally enter the room containing the Silver Key, but it again goes back up and you have to defeat some enemies. When you go back up, you can finally obtain the Silver Key and exit the map. It's a cool idea that I think modern mappers could really expand on, even though it's just an extended version of E3M2's Silver Key trap.

It's a great 1996 map and shows that, even in 1996, getting to vanilla Quake 1's level design was quite possible.

Base Debris (aka Fort Ratsack): This map is a nice-looking Quoth base map that's absoluatly packed with enemies. Nearly every inch of this map has a ton of enemies just waiting to take you down.

The Quoth enemies add a lot of variety to the map. Things like grenade-lobbing Enforcers make things a lot more dynamic and challenging than if it was just tons of easy-to-kill Grunts and Enforcers. I found that the flying robots that spew lasers were a bit obnoxious because of their speed and their health, but other enemies were quite eager to take them out for me. :v:

Crowd control weapons, like the Super Nailgun and Grenade Launcher, are essential for succeeding in this map because hof how many enemies are clustered together. This map gives you a ton of opportunities to gib large groups of enemies with a well-placed grenade, which is awlays a ton of fun. You can also get a lot of mileage out of the nailguns in this map, though not as much as in Jackboot.

Map flow is just right for a slaugher map; it's very easy to figure out where to go to next and there's little chance of getting lost thanks to good design.

This is one of the few maps where I've seen that armor is plentiful, and you're going to need every one of them to survive. Base enemies are pretty weak, but when you're getting hammered by a ton of them, along with Quoth enemies, in tight spaces, you're going to take a lot of damage, which makes the armor a lifesaver.

I found the most clever part of the map is the final room; it's a vertical climb up a room filled with enemies, but if it gets too rough, there's a water pool underneath where the player starts that leads to a very useful Red Armor. However, picking this up spawns more enemies on the path that leads back to the final room, so you get something very helpful at the cost of new enemies being able to chip away at while you're going going back to the final room. It serves as a useful powerup for the player while making things a little more difficult.

The map design is a bit tight, but it makes encounters a bit more challenging and exciting since you don't have all the room in the world to take down enemies with. The map has a decent amount of details, but it's not as detailed as something like DM3 Remix or CVG's E1M1 remake. This was liekly done so you don't get caught up in poo poo while trying to kill enemies, which is fine by me.

Base Debris is a fun and tense slaughter map. If you want to mow down a ton of base enemies with a good amount of challenge and above average architecture, this map is a great choice. The large amount of enemies clutered together also makes it good for blowing off some steam if you had a stressful day.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Since we're talking about Quakestuff, here's a strange question right out of the blue.

What did you guys think of Quake's introduction map, compared to the typical method of selecting difficulty?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

First off, eww, non-fullbright lava ball, take whatever engine that is away! :gonk:

But yeah, it's a fun little gimmick and serves Quake's philosophy of total abstraction, but I think there's a reason no game ever used it again. Even in Quake mods and map sets it gets boring seeing every single one have to have a start map since Quake doesn't allow the difficulty level to be set from the new game menu.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Since we're talking about Quakestuff, here's a strange question right out of the blue.

What did you guys think of Quake's introduction map, compared to the typical method of selecting difficulty?

The thing about quake's intro map is that its less of an intro map (annoying) as it is a level-selection room (cool).

You don't just intro there to pick difficulty, you go back between episodes, right? So its more like a hub-world, ala Hexen.

Hub-worlds are cool when they aren't done in really annoying ways that require you to back-track (hexen)

I also really dig the idea of a hard mode that requires you to earn it, and a hidden nightmare mode. Although just jumping across the lava is pretty drat easy.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I think Quake did it to give people a chance to get used to the controls before they were confronted with enemies. Things like having to jump to select Hard made sure you knew it was actually possible to jump, unlike Doom. It's sort of a precursor to the Half-Life tram ride.

Also I'll take it any day over 10 minutes of unskippable tutorials on how to duck.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Quake II did the best tutorial on how to duck I've ever seen: you walk up to a low crawlspace with armor inside of it, and a message pops up that says "Press <key> to crouch". That's it. You crouch and you get the armor and make it to the other side.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TerminusEst13 posted:

I remember getting a call from my friend Dan about Quake; we were both huge Duke fans, I liked Doom (he didn't really talk much about it, now that I think of it... weird), we both liked Heretic and ROTT. The phone call involved him telling me about this game where you could look straight up or down, the enemies didn't face the same way whenever they died, there were all these neat special effects, and holy gently caress, you picked your difficulty by walking down a certain hallway!! I was blown away, and since I he lived about a 10 minute walk away from me, I was there in 8 :smug:

It was such an exciting, nerdy time.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 6, 2015

arcsig
May 29, 2015

TerminusEst13 posted:

It's neat, and I'm surprised more games don't do it. I mean, I'm sure it's been done a few times by other games but the vast majority of the games these days just leave difficulty selection to a menu.

It's unique, provides a safe space for the player to learn the controls, and the fact that there's an extra difficulty level hidden in the map was the coolest thing when I first played it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Dark Dome is the hardest map in the entire megawad, once you've finished it it only gets easier from there. Have patience.

But yes, people have pistol started Dark Dome. With fast monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDww8yjnbGM
God bless mad Japanese speedrunners. :japan:

Misri Halek is one of the worst 'good' levels ever made, what the gently caress, it's a colossal miserable slog.

Dark Dome, meanwhile, is one of the actual best levels ever made; it's extremely straightforward and difficult in ways that aren't really unfair. I know a lot of people don't like AV for the hardcore difficulty spike toward the end, but I really love basically every map in it EXCEPT Misri Halek. Christ gently caress that level LOOK AT IT

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Misri Halek just isn't that hard to follow and it isn't even all that long compared to some of the gigantic maps in BTSX or the Community Chest series. There's usually only one way forward and it's usually pretty obvious. This isn't Eternal Doom.

Meanwhile, even on skill 2 with "only" 400 monsters, Dark Dome is not an experience I ever want to repeat.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Sussing out how to get to Nightmare was a big deal as a tiny child, so yes: quake had a good opening map.

MacDee
Nov 13, 2005

Now in Heath flavor.

catlord posted:

Strange Aeons Review
Thanks a ton for the detailed feedback! Didn't expect to get any on SA. The current build is sort of a public beta, so I'm still polishing it where I can before it goes up on idgames and ModDB.

Oddly enough I'm having a hell of a time remembering which level required you to shoot a pillar. It must be E4M4, which I've replaced with a switch since your post came to my attention. I'll see what I can do about polishing E4 some more, since it's obviously the newest of the four and is still in first draft condition. If it begins to seem unsalvageable, I'll leave it out of the final release.

The Lightning Gun can really tip the balance of the game, so it can only be found on the secret levels, usually in a hidden area.

MacDee fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 5, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MacDee posted:

Thanks a ton for the detailed feedback! Didn't expect to get any on SA. The current build is sort of a public beta, so I'm still polishing it where I can before it goes up on idgames and ModDB.

Oddly enough I'm having a hell of a time remembering which level required you to shoot a pillar. It must be E4M4, which I've replaced with a switch since your post came to my attention. I'll see what I can do about polishing E4 some more, since it's obviously the newest of the four and is still in first draft condition. If it begins to seem unsalvageable, I'll leave it out of the final release.

The Lightning Gun can really tip the balance of the game, so it can only be found on the secret levels, usually in a hidden area.

Just checked, yeah, it's E4M4. I think the main problem with E4 is more that it's got a few small problems that add up rather than just being unsalvagable. The only one I feel like could use any real reworking is E4M7, the long walkways just don't feel like they work with hitscanners and it's surprisingly easy to get lost while running it. I did like finding the dead Elder Thing though! Most of the levels just need to push you forward a little bit more, I think, to help them flow a little better. Honestly, I think my biggest single complaint would be the Nightmares and Star Vampires, their relative toughness (Nightmares take at least 2 shots from the shotgun on HMP), their invisibility/invincibility and the surprisingly high damage. There were too many areas where I knew there was a Nightmare or Star Vampire and I was just running back and forth trying to bait them into appearing, but hopefully not getting stuck and getting eaten. The boss of E4 has a similar problem, but it's a little hard to complain too much since he is the final boss. I also don't feel too bad about missing the Lightning Gun, I'm not great at finding secrets anyway.

I hope the review didn't seem too harsh though, like I said, I liked a lot of it, and I like that you had moving levels a lot, I'm definitely looking forward to a completed version.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Colon Semicolon posted:

I decided to actually play with that idea for mech doom. scribbles!

Neat, I'm glad my bringing that idea up went somewhere

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

All of us in this thread need to have an all-out Doom/Quake/Heretic DM-fest with each other. How many of us are there, 20? 30? It's totally doable.

Yeah it's be nice to do a Goon Zandronum meetup(maybe we should setup a Steam group for this sort of thing)

The Kins posted:

Hey! Do unfinished Pie In The Sky 3D adaptions of unproduced horror b-movie scripts get your feathers in a bunch? Because if so, a friend of mine got his hands on an unreleased CD-ROM by Full Moon Features containing the aformentioned Pie In The Sky game, Subterraneans, and a lame Windows 3.1 motion comic adaption of Puppet Master III.

Hmm reminds me of one of my many ideas that I'll probably never use, basically a FPS game where you play as character of the Slasher Movie sort, basically Jason if he was a good guy(you'd basically be fighting Cultists and various other B-Movie horror monsters)

jimmy boag posted:

I started working on a map for GZDoom a couple of days ago with almost exactly that aesthetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7GtqULi5c

We need Hotline Doom to be a thing

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Hmm reminds me of one of my many ideas that I'll probably never use, basically a FPS game where you play as character of the Slasher Movie sort, basically Jason if he was a good guy(you'd basically be fighting Cultists and various other B-Movie horror monsters)

Yeah, I'd be up for that.

It's basically Blood, but God knows I'm up for more Blood.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jimmy boag posted:

I started working on a map for GZDoom a couple of days ago with almost exactly that aesthetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7GtqULi5c

I finally watched this and holy crap this is cool.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember getting a call from my friend Dan about Quake; we were both huge Duke fans, I liked Doom (he didn't really talk much about it, now that I think of it... weird), we both liked Heretic and ROTT. The phone call involved him telling me about this game where you could look straight up or down, the enemies didn't face the same way whenever they died, there were all these neat special effects, and holy gently caress, you picked your difficulty by walking down a certain hallway!! I was blown away, and since I lived about a 10 minute walk away from me, I was there in 8 :smug:

It was such an exciting, nerdy time.

While there was certainly some minor tutorial use to it, my guess is that this is the real reason they did the episode/difficulty select map.

With Doom 2 and Duke and all the derivatives out, people were expecting something new from iD and they delivered (at least to those who hadn't played to mptest). It was effectively saying “yeah, there are a lot of 3D games out there now and it's cute that all those other companies are trying to compete, but now we have actual 3D maps — hell, the game is so 3D even the menu is 3D — what now motherfuckers!? :smuggo:

They did it because they could, unlike everyone else.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I remember playing a custom Duke 3D map that tried to be a Quake map, with floors above floors and everything. It was really buggy, but neat at the same time.

Woolie Wool posted:

Quake II did the best tutorial on how to duck I've ever seen: you walk up to a low crawlspace with armor inside of it, and a message pops up that says "Press <key> to crouch". That's it. You crouch and you get the armor and make it to the other side.

It didn't even say that, it just said "you can crouch here" IIRC.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think having difficulty/episode select be a little playground to get used to basic movement complete with a secret difficulty level is totally bitchin'

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

drrockso20 posted:

Neat, I'm glad my bringing that idea up went somewhere

I've actually been playing with how to make the sprites for the thing. the best option really seems to be making a 3D model and doing that crazy indexed painting pixel art filtering and coloring it from there.

What I have so far is basically just another sketch, just in 3D this time. planning to keep the mesh simple since I don't need a boatload of details for a thing like this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

catlord posted:

Yeah, I'd be up for that.

It's basically Blood, but God knows I'm up for more Blood.

Yeah it's based on an idea I thought up back in High School for a Horror Movie franchise that'd basically be a more serious version of The Toxic Avenger

Also fellow Goons, what "Modern"(2005 onward) shooter game(first or third person) do you feel has the best set of enemies, my pick would have to be the Locust from the Gears of War franchise

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Colon Semicolon posted:

I've actually been playing with how to make the sprites for the thing. the best option really seems to be making a 3D model and doing that crazy indexed painting pixel art filtering and coloring it from there.

What I have so far is basically just another sketch, just in 3D this time. planning to keep the mesh simple since I don't need a boatload of details for a thing like this.

that's really cool

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah it's based on an idea I thought up back in High School for a Horror Movie franchise that'd basically be a more serious version of The Toxic Avenger

Also fellow Goons, what "Modern"(2005 onward) shooter game(first or third person) do you feel has the best set of enemies, my pick would have to be the Locust from the Gears of War franchise

Honestly? Borderlands 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Honestly? Borderlands 2.

I've honestly never been too big on the Borderlands franchise, those games are way too grindy in all the worst sort of ways