Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

treat posted:

I've always had terrible framerate issues with RGA and RGH, specifically while switching/reloading weapons.
I get a little hiccup when doing the same thing on my MacBook 2010. Yeah it's integrated graphics, but come on, it's doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

co199 posted:

Holy poo poo dude, you are a fuckin' boss. Thanks!

EDIT: Tried with the RGH-specific build, played the first two maps of Ultimate Doom, the first map of Doom 2 and an Oblige map and had no problems. All the Nazis give out appropriate exp in Classic and Hardcore mods, in the Arcade mode they give out a ton of exp, which makes for some hilarious levelling up after killing like 5 dudes. So much fun.

Ok, I found the problem - there was an infinite loop in the spawn code that kept giving enemies more and more XP every second.

Here's the fixed version: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y83B48G8

Keep using the old one if you like the crazy XP, but I figure you'll get some hilarious crashes in a long map. I'm not gonna balance out the XP rate, and running without the RGH spawns probably results in less monsters. If you want to fix it yourself you can download SLADE and adjust the values in actors/nazis.txt in these two lines for every monster:

code:
CYBR A 0 Thing_SetSpecial(0,226,613,0,random(5,10))
POSS A 0 A_GiveInventory("XPAmount", random(5, 10))

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 1, 2011

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Vertigus posted:

Ok, I found the problem - there was an infinite loop in the spawn code that kept giving enemies more and more XP every second.

Here's the fixed version: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y83B48G8

Keep using the old one if you like the crazy XP, but I figure you'll get some hilarious crashes in a long map. I'm not gonna balance out the XP rate, and running without the RGH spawns probably results in monsters. If you want to fix it yourself you can download SLADE and adjust the values in actors/nazis.txt in these two lines for every monster:

code:
CYBR A 0 Thing_SetSpecial(0,226,613,0,random(5,10))
POSS A 0 A_GiveInventory("XPAmount", random(5, 10))

Awesome, thanks very much.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I don't suppose anyone is aware of any modernisation mods for Ultima Underworld 1 & 2? Just got them off of GoG and while I don't mind playing them as they are I'd obviously like mouselook at the very least and improved graphics at best.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Vita posted:

Is there any Doom mod like War of Attrition? Or at least a way to do an endless mode of WoA with the original 3DR maps? These usermaps are horrible :smith:

Just before killing the overlord at the end of the first episode:

dnscotty601

Just before killing the alien bitch queen at the end of the second episode:

dnscotty501

You'll lose your weapons on the first level of the newly-started episode only, but your upgrades and the enemy scaling are retained.

:dukedog:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ What do those do?

Vita posted:

Is there any Doom mod like War of Attrition? Or at least a way to do an endless mode of WoA with the original 3DR maps? These usermaps are horrible :smith:

There's the 3DR Levels episodes in WoA, but those play them in order, not randomly. I'm not sure how well random 3DR episodes would work, honestly, because the usermaps are all balanced on the assumption that you'll be starting with just a pistol, but the 3DR maps assume you carry weapons over from map to map.

Also, while I found that the maps in Random Levels 1 are poo poo, I switched to Random Levels 2 and have been quite enjoying it, so maybe give RL2/3 a shot instead of RL1 if you haven't already.

That said, I'd love a mod like WoA for Quake or Quake 2.

Rather Dashing posted:

I don't suppose anyone is aware of any modernisation mods for Ultima Underworld 1 & 2? Just got them off of GoG and while I don't mind playing them as they are I'd obviously like mouselook at the very least and improved graphics at best.

There are none. The UUW engine is not as well understood as the System Shock one, although it uses many of the same formats, and System Shock was always more popular, so most of the hacking effort concentrates on that. The TSSHP project supported UUW as well as System Shock, but as it was never finished, this doesn't help much. You have to play UUW vanilla or not at all, I'm afraid.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mantle posted:

I get a little hiccup when doing the same thing on my MacBook 2010. Yeah it's integrated graphics, but come on, it's doom.

I don't even get a hiccup, I get atrocious, near constant stuttering that makes the wad unplayable. The belt-fed machine gun in particular will cause a freeze on the same frame for nearly a full second about two or three times in a single reload animation.

A friend of mine had the same issues when we tried to play RGA on lan, and his hardware is completely different from/more powerful than mine. Tried resetting our config files, nothing. Still, I've never seen this issue mentioned anywhere else.

On another, unrelated issue: This same friend recently got his monitor back from repairs, and supposedly had some kind of driver issues. He tried rolling back drivers and supposedly spent 6 hours troubleshooting, but for some reason he can no longer play Skulltag in OpenGL. I believe he just gets a black screen. We're aching to get the Stronghold server going again, but that's not going to happen until this is resolved. Any ideas?

treat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 1, 2011

Mantle
May 15, 2004

treat posted:

He tried rolling back drivers and supposedly spent 6 hours troubleshooting, but for some reason he can no longer play Skulltag in OpenGL. I believe he just gets a black screen. We're aching to get the Stronghold server going again, but that's not going to happen until this is resolved. Any ideas?

Try running in software rendering. I believe i am in software because I think OpenGL is not supported on osx.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Yeah, but he's running Win7, and Software doesn't support 3D floors which are required for Stronghold.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Yeah, but he's running Win7, and Software doesn't support 3D floors which are required for Stronghold.

Well that would explain why the upper floor in the Unloved mansion is kind of buggy on my rig.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

ToxicFrog posted:

There are none. The UUW engine is not as well understood as the System Shock one, although it uses many of the same formats, and System Shock was always more popular, so most of the hacking effort concentrates on that. The TSSHP project supported UUW as well as System Shock, but as it was never finished, this doesn't help much. You have to play UUW vanilla or not at all, I'm afraid.

Thanks - I expected as much. This is my first playthrough and would have liked some modern trappings but it's not really going to get in the way of my enjoyment.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ What do those do?

Level-warp you to the beginning of each of the 3DR episodes.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I just made my first (in)complete map with doom builder and I wanna show it too you guys and she if it sucks :ohdear: or not!
Let me just upload it first.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I am hosting a Real Guns Hardcore Skulltag server running coop. Does anyone want to test it with me? It's the one in Canada at 24.84.177.14:10666

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Help me goons, I'm running OS X 10.6.6, and I have the wads for Doom 1 and Doom 2 in the same folder as Skulltag, but when I run it, it just shows up on the dock, bounces a couple times, and then goes away.

I wanna shoot things :(

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Help me goons, I'm running OS X 10.6.6, and I have the wads for Doom 1 and Doom 2 in the same folder as Skulltag, but when I run it, it just shows up on the dock, bounces a couple times, and then goes away.

Yeah I tried to get it working last night and gave up. The team doesn't really care about the OSX version so don't get your hopes up.

You can just run the Windows version in Wine, though, I think.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I am loving Doom. I can't remember the last time I got this sucked into an FPS. I beat episode 1 in one sitting and got through most of the second episode a little while ago. I'm already having this much fun and I haven't even touched any mods yet.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
My buddy picked up Doom64 the other day and I hadn't realized how completely different it was. We were pretty disappointed that we couldn't play it coop, so is there a good Doom64 wad out there, one that hopefully uses the same music and same sprites?

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

treat posted:

My buddy picked up Doom64 the other day and I hadn't realized how completely different it was. We were pretty disappointed that we couldn't play it coop, so is there a good Doom64 wad out there, one that hopefully uses the same music and same sprites?
Get this http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/ You'll be able to convert a Doom 64 ROM into a WAD.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Purple D. Link posted:

I am loving Doom. I can't remember the last time I got this sucked into an FPS. I beat episode 1 in one sitting and got through most of the second episode a little while ago.
I honestly never expected to see someone say this in 2011. :D

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Zero Star posted:

I honestly never expected to see someone say this in 2011. :D
It really holds up well. Like I said, I have no real mods on it, I'm just using GZDoom for widescreen.

Also, I just remembered the last time I got really sucked into a single-player FPS. It was the Summer I got into the Half-Life series, which became my favorite FPS series next to TimeSplitters.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Surprised no one mentioned this:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/426/

Doom Pack is on sale. $8.70 USD

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doom never gets old, I might fire it up soon (picked up the ID super pack for $29 bucks on Steam). I was playing through Quake and oh man, so much memories. I was playing on hard, although I think I should have went to nightmare. The DarkPlaces mod with music support is so loving good. Brings back so many memories! :D

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Chinook posted:

Surprised no one mentioned this:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/426/

Doom Pack is on sale. $8.70 USD

I asked this over in the steam thread but I thought I'd ask here too. If I just wanted to get one of the Doom games should I get one or two? I've never played either and I was interested in what was generally considered to be the best. I doubt they're different enough to warrant buying both for me.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

I asked this over in the steam thread but I thought I'd ask here too. If I just wanted to get one of the Doom games should I get one or two? I've never played either and I was interested in what was generally considered to be the best. I doubt they're different enough to warrant buying both for me.

They are both the best.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think DooM 2 is the better of the two.

EDIT: But yeah, both are perfection.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I think Doom 1's the best.

But both are flawless.

edit: Get 2, because the games are basically identical, but you won't be able to do a lot of awesome WADs with just Doom 1.

1 had better original maps, but there are about forty billion good user-made maps, and a lot of them require Doom 2.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 5, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Vintersorg posted:

EDIT: But yeah, both are perfection.

I really think they are both great, too. It's a natural progression, and they both have great unique maps.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
They're both really good, but if you had to pick one, most WADs are built for Doom 2, with its wider range of monsters, so that would be the smart bet.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
It's five bucks for both right now, man, what the hell?

But if you're going to insist on being an idiot and only get one, then I second what Dr Snofeld said.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

RiffRaff1138 posted:

It's five bucks for both right now, man, what the hell?

But if you're going to insist on being an idiot and only get one, then I second what Dr Snofeld said.

I'm a recovering steamaholic. I asked if I should get O'Doul's O'Doul's light and you're telling me that I should down a 5th of Jack Daniels.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I am on OS X as well. There are two ways to do it. I prefer using Doomseeker as a launcher and specifying a directory for your IWADS: http://doomseeker.drdteam.org/

The alternative way to do it is to put your IWADS into your Skulltag.app container in the Mac OS directory.

If you are using Doomseeker to host a server, uncheck broadcast to LAN.

This info wasn't very easy to find so it maybe could go into the OP somehow.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

I'm a recovering steamaholic. I asked if I should get O'Doul's O'Doul's light and you're telling me that I should down a 5th of Jack Daniels.

Hey, that bottle of Jack isn't going to drink itself. :argh: I would say to get them both. Doom 1 for the freaking awesome official episodes and Doom 2 for the user made levels and mods. It's win/win.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I'm trying to play Doom mods, but whatever I start one I end up in either Doom or Doom 2 with the mod's hud, weapons and enemies. I'm using GZDoom.

EDIT: I just tried Action Doom and it worked fine. So wads seem to work but not pk3 files. I imagine I'm just doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

False alarm, I can't read :blush:

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 5, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mantle posted:

I am on OS X as well. There are two ways to do it. I prefer using Doomseeker as a launcher and specifying a directory for your IWADS: http://doomseeker.drdteam.org/

The alternative way to do it is to put your IWADS into your Skulltag.app container in the Mac OS directory.

If you are using Doomseeker to host a server, uncheck broadcast to LAN.

This info wasn't very easy to find so it maybe could go into the OP somehow.

I tried both of those method, but nothing works. Still just pops up then closes. Thanks, though.

:smith:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Purple D. Link posted:

I'm trying to play Doom mods, but whatever I start one I end up in either Doom or Doom 2 with the mod's hud, weapons and enemies. I'm using GZDoom.

EDIT: I just tried Action Doom and it worked fine. So wads seem to work but not pk3 files. I imagine I'm just doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

What are the mods you are trying to use, and how are you starting the game with them? Also, are you using the latest GZDoom svn? If not, get it.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

MrBims posted:

What are the mods you are trying to use, and how are you starting the game with them? Also, are you using the latest GZDoom svn? If not, get it.
I knew I forgot to add something. I'm trying to play AEoD. I've clicked and dragged the pk3 file onto the GZDoom.exe and used the Quickly Launchering GZDoom launcher, and neither worked. I'm not using the svn build, but I'll try it if I can remember how to use one.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Purple D. Link posted:

I knew I forgot to add something. I'm trying to play AEoD.
:ughh: AEoD doesn't have any levels. It's a weapon and enemy replacer.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

RiffRaff1138 posted:

:ughh: AEoD doesn't have any levels. It's a weapon and enemy replacer.
Well poo poo! I should've read more carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Does anyone else think Thy Flesh Consumed feels more cheap than challenging? I could already tell it would be like that when monsters teleported behind me a bunch in the first map...