Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Elliotw2 posted:

Hey, they asked about competitors, not about which engines are good.

I'm just looking at it from the perspective of “what's comparable [in terms of documentation and dev community]?” CryEngine is right off that list due to its quirks, and Lumberyard is far too new to have had time to build any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I would think, if you're making a sprite-based game, GLOOME or some other form of Id Tech 1 would massively reduce your build time and budget.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Woolie Wool posted:

I would think, if you're making a sprite-based game, GLOOME or some other form of Id Tech 1 would massively reduce your build time and budget.

Unless you want easy room over room, or non-90 degree from floor walls, or true arches etc.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

fishmech posted:

Unless you want easy room over room, or non-90 degree from floor walls, or true arches etc.

Can do the latter two pretty easily, actually.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dominic White posted:

Really, for anything nowadays it's a tossup between UE4, Unity & Lumberyard. They all seem almost equally powerful and the first two are exceptionally well documented.

A lot of people turn their nose up at Unity still, but don't forget that the new (gorgeous-looking) Homeworld game was made using it. Also Firewatch which just came out, and The Forest, and etc etc.

Unity is a pretty capable engine and its poor reputation is due to the fact that it's free and easy enough to use that gobs of people who have read a few tutorials and downloaded free assets have made lovely Slenderman games with it (which start up with a full-screen Unity logo staring at you for a few seconds).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BattleMaster posted:

Unity is a pretty capable engine and its poor reputation is due to the fact that it's free and easy enough to use that gobs of people who have read a few tutorials and downloaded free assets have made lovely Slenderman games with it (which start up with a full-screen Unity logo staring at you for a few seconds).

It's kinda like how Game Maker has a bad rap for 2d games, because all the crappily made games in it out there have the splash screen reminding you, or even a permanent watermark during game play for one of the free versions.

Though that does remind me of all of the terrible 3d fps games in game maker that Lowtax did on his YouTube channel.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any engine is great, it just sucks that there's so much crap out there. For every 200 crappy Unity games, you get a Wasteland 2. For Game Maker, you get Hotline Miami.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:jeb: is made with Unity so that's it's "complicated game" cred right there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

:jeb: is made with Unity so that's it's "complicated game" cred right there.

Oh god, yes. That's actually the best example. Goddamn, KSP is something beautiful :allears:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh, when did we get a new title? Anyway, thinking of other odd map themes, are there any good jungle island themed maps? I'm thinking something like Skull Island. I know of Knee-Deep in the Jungle, any others that are decent?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The first third of Plutonia 2 amps up the "jungleyness" of the original Plutonia theme.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

catlord posted:

Huh, when did we get a new title? Anyway, thinking of other odd map themes, are there any good jungle island themed maps? I'm thinking something like Skull Island. I know of Knee-Deep in the Jungle, any others that are decent?
Knee Deep in the Jungle looks cool but has some performance issue.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sure this has been gone over before, but does anyone have any recommendations for doom level packs that go really well with a doomrpg + doomrla combo? i'm not a fan of slaughter maps and i don't much care for stuff like plutonia, but i want a lot of decent enough maps to blast through that don't actively hate me unless i set the difficulty up.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm sure this has been gone over before, but does anyone have any recommendations for doom level packs that go really well with a doomrpg + doomrla combo? i'm not a fan of slaughter maps and i don't much care for stuff like plutonia, but i want a lot of decent enough maps to blast through that don't actively hate me unless i set the difficulty up.

The Memori mori packs go well with that combo.

Play a technician, get the machine gun that requires 4 mod packs to craft and watch everything get splattered into a fine mist. :jeb:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Johnny Law posted:

Any particular reason you chose to use DarkPlaces?

e: I should probably just include my follow-on here. Bottom line of course is, use what you want to use and more power to you for playing Quake. But sometimes people get steered into using something that doesn't quite match their druthers, so FWIW (and pardon the Reddit link) here's my latest opinion-dump about which Quake engine to use: https://www.reddit.com/r/quake/comments/44um6h/what_are_the_best_source_ports_for_quake_1_and_2/cztmwcn

I pretty much just used it because that's what the OP said to use. I could go with Quakespasm instead. I only got to E1M8 last night anyway, shouldn't take me very long to get there again. I even had to start again after getting to E1M3 last night because I hadn't played a 90s game in so long I forgot autosaves didn't exist.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Casimir Radon posted:

Knee Deep in the Jungle looks cool but has some performance issue.

Boy, does it.

Woolie Wool posted:

The first third of Plutonia 2 amps up the "jungleyness" of the original Plutonia theme.

I, admittedly, haven't played a whole lot of Plutonia, but is that what that theme in the beginning is supposed to be?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

ZDCMP2 is supposed to be on a jungle island, though there's not much activity outdoors so it's mostly base, underground, and hell.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

catlord posted:

Boy, does it.
There's only two wads that have ever really given me choppy framerate, this and nuts.wad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so far project brutality has been a million times more fun than brutal doom and feels less 'off' to play than brutal doom.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
There don't seem to be any low end 3D engines for this sort of thing. May as well go with UE4 since from what I've seen it's a bit easier to work with than Unity.

I've been trying to make a little 3D platform game to teach my young ESL students the names of colours in Unity and just setting up a proper first person camera is a pain in the balls, and it runs like a dog on the school's old computers.

I've made the same basic idea before in the UT99 engine but I really want to avoid going through a game interface. They always figure out what the fire button is then that's that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

so far project brutality has been a million times more fun than brutal doom and feels less 'off' to play than brutal doom.

Hmm, that's weird, I'll have to give it more time then, because, while I enjoy them both, PB definitely felt like a Brutal Doom++ mod (which it technically is, right?), in that it took what was changed, and changed it some more. And I don't care what anyone says, Brutal Doom (and/or Project Brutality) used with Going Down is a fun, tense, glorious mess.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Is there a list anywhere of all of the Project Brutality items and what they do?

:siren:SPOILERS:siren:

I've gotten some red demonic power ups that "makes your hands tingle" or something, no discernable effect other than a red screen. The Revenant Morph rune was loving awesome though. "You become agitated..."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

UE4 is really easy to work with and documented and you can get help with just about anything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdzBCg8nf5ug4WmqoUrvQ6ACDlYX97Y_Q Here's the main playlist for those bad FPSes by the way. Here are some particularly notable ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyFBaiD-O4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQLZEA3hkAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEvT5zx-I8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbEL2YthHak

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I'm on e2 in Painkiller and I'm faltering. How much longer until it becomes good? Right now it only seems to be getting worse, I feel like I'm in outsider art territory here visually

(

)

and my first map don't steal in gameplay. I remember from playing the demo in 04 a medieval village level with zombies that I liked.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

catlord posted:

Huh, when did we get a new title?
Around-about here. Remember to support the open-source operating system Linux illegal Soviet operating system Lunix.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keiya posted:

UE4 is cheap, well-documented, used widely enough one or more team members probably has prior experience with it, and has ports to drat near literally anything you could ever want to run on.

What's really comparable, maybe idtech3? You're trading some documentation and nicer shadows for getting rid of the royalties, that's probably not worth it to most small teams.

Elliotw2 posted:

Unity and cryengine/Amazon lumberjack, since idtech 3 is an antique game engine that's a pain to use anymore.

Idtech3 is written in C.

Not C++. Not C#.

C. :unsmigghh:

joedevola posted:

There don't seem to be any low end 3D engines for this sort of thing. May as well go with UE4 since from what I've seen it's a bit easier to work with than Unity.

I've been trying to make a little 3D platform game to teach my young ESL students the names of colours in Unity and just setting up a proper first person camera is a pain in the balls, and it runs like a dog on the school's old computers.

I've made the same basic idea before in the UT99 engine but I really want to avoid going through a game interface. They always figure out what the fire button is then that's that.

Low end is Unity. If you want something simpler and lighter weight than Unity, you're rolling your own.

3D is a huge pain even for "simple" stuff, just setting up all the proper required configurations, environment and boilerplate code can take forever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 12, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Around-about here. Remember to support the open-source operating system Linux illegal Soviet operating system Lunix.

I can't find the video of the segment from The Screen Savers where they mocked that article. Anyone have it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zaphod42 posted:

Idtech3 is written in C.

Not C++. Not C#.

C. :unsmigghh:

Because John Carmack is a goddamn code wizard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KozmoNaut posted:

Because John Carmack is a goddamn code wizard.

... I mean yeah, he is, but that's not "why" IdTech3 is written in C.

It was written in C because it was written back in the 90s and if anything was probably a bad call over moving to C++ because some programmer like Carmack didn't want to deal with the changes. Programmers are an ornery lot, lemme tell ya :cheeky:

And its not even particularly impressive, you can do pretty much anything in any Turing complete language. You're just making it harder on yourself though really.

I mean for that matter Roller Coaster Tycoon was written in loving ASSEMBLY by one programmer. And I guess he is a code wizard too, but I wouldn't say that's "why" RCT was written in ASM. The Why is because Chris Sawyer is a loving madman and that's what he was more familiar with, not because he's a wizard or because it was a good idea.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Is there a list anywhere of all of the Project Brutality items and what they do?

:siren:SPOILERS:siren:

I've gotten some red demonic power ups that "makes your hands tingle" or something, no discernable effect other than a red screen. The Revenant Morph rune was loving awesome though. "You become agitated..."

Makes you reload faster, along with upping your rate of fire.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean for that matter Roller Coaster Tycoon was written in loving ASSEMBLY by one programmer. And I guess he is a code wizard too, but I wouldn't say that's "why" RCT was written in ASM. The Why is because Chris Sawyer is a loving madman and that's what he was more familiar with, not because he's a wizard or because it was a good idea.

Actually it was. Being written in ASM allowed the code to be much more effecient, which allowed for more concurrent simulations, allowing for bigger parks. Something RCT3 had a big problem with, which didn't use the same ASM engine as the first two games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

joedevola posted:

When you launch any of the UDK's one of the very first things it lets you do is load a functional platformer base in either first or third person.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hmm, that's weird, I'll have to give it more time then, because, while I enjoy them both, PB definitely felt like a Brutal Doom++ mod (which it technically is, right?), in that it took what was changed, and changed it some more. And I don't care what anyone says, Brutal Doom (and/or Project Brutality) used with Going Down is a fun, tense, glorious mess.

it feels a lot more like it's focused on being fun than focusing on weird gore poo poo, even though it technically has settings to up the gore level.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

loga mira posted:

I'm on e2 in Painkiller and I'm faltering. How much longer until it becomes good? Right now it only seems to be getting worse, I feel like I'm in outsider art territory here visually

If you don't like Painkiller by E2, you're probably not going to like Painkiller and can safely put it down.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Elliotw2 posted:

When you launch any of the UDK's one of the very first things it lets you do is load a functional platformer base in either first or third person.

I can barely run recent UDK builds on my PC, so it wouldn't fly on the outdated PCs of a Korean elementary school.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

loga mira posted:

(

)

and my first map don't steal in gameplay. I remember from playing the demo in 04 a medieval village level with zombies that I liked.

Painkiller deffo isn't good enough to stick with if you're not having fun by that point.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

loga mira posted:

(

)

Well, I'm sorry you didn't like PK, ultimately. If you want, add me on Steam (steamid: iprokka), I'll gift you Necrovision and Reflex to compensate for spent money.
Also, if you're not burn on the game altogether, ditch the first campaign and go for Battle Out Of Hell. The first two levels (Orphanage and Stalingrad) are interesting.

And I want to go back a little to the UE4 indie game - I don't really get when such advanced, tech-heavy engines are used to relatively simple engines. My PC is 6 years old, and absolutely chugs on that game. I understand that Gloome is too niche/too quirky to use, and idtech3 is outdated, but why not using UE3, which would suffice for such visually simple game? It's like people make 2D pseudo retro games in Game Maker, and add ton of filters and shaders which kill the performance (for example, Stealth Bastard). It's about the optimization, and picking the right tools for the task.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ahhhh, classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Ahhhh, classic