Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Purple D. Link posted:

Does anyone else think Thy Flesh Consumed feels more cheap than challenging? I could already tell it would be like that when monsters teleported behind me a bunch in the first map...

Keep playing. It's not Inferno or Shores of Hell, but it's still a good episode and I consider the first stage to be the worst of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Does anyone know where I can get a program like this http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1329 but with a GUI? Basically, you use it to smush together a bunch of random wads into a megawad, it allows you to change their exmx or mapxx location so they don't conflict - but being a dos program from 1995 you have to do this all on the command line and it doesn't like non-8.3 file names.

I'd like a program like this, but has a file browser to select all the files and a gui for reordering the map numbers.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fishmech posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a program like this http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1329 but with a GUI? Basically, you use it to smush together a bunch of random wads into a megawad, it allows you to change their exmx or mapxx location so they don't conflict - but being a dos program from 1995 you have to do this all on the command line and it doesn't like non-8.3 file names.

I'd like a program like this, but has a file browser to select all the files and a gui for reordering the map numbers.

You can use this: http://slade.mancubus.net/

It won't automate the process for you but it should be as easy as renaming the MAPXX markers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vertigus posted:

You can use this: http://slade.mancubus.net/

It won't automate the process for you but it should be as easy as renaming the MAPXX markers.

Yeah I was kind of hoping for a utility that would just do the map stuff automatically.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Purple D. Link posted:

Does anyone else think Thy Flesh Consumed feels more cheap than challenging? I could already tell it would be like that when monsters teleported behind me a bunch in the first map...

E4M1 is ridiculously cheap, and honestly, I'd just skip it because I tend to pistol start E4M2 anyway.

E4M2 is really hard, by the way, but it's also goddamn amazing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fag Boy Jim posted:

E4M1 is ridiculously cheap, and honestly, I'd just skip it because I tend to pistol start E4M2 anyway.

E4M2 had me swearing like a sailor with Tourettes. gently caress that loving level of gently caress. I was more imaginative than that when I was playing it though.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Vertigus - I'm probably being an idiot, but the Nazi RGH won't work on anything but DooM 2 (pretty sure it's due to some resource thing, oh well).

Jesus God, Nazis are frustrating in close quarters. Modern body armor is no match for the Kar98. :<

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Purple D. Link posted:

In the room behind the red door, remember to try and use the torches.

Best secret ever.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Anyone else here waste their childhood playing Action Quake II?

I don't think I ever had as much fun in an FPS multiplayer as I did with AQII, even if I never did learn how to strafe jump properly, or to snipe. :allears:

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I am proud of myself for getting through E4M1 on ultra-violence. When I finished that level I felt like I accomplished something monumental, like all of my years of playing first-person shooters had led up to that single glorious achievement. I died a thousand times, I was close to death and almost out of ammo, but god dammit I did it.

And then E4M2 started :smith:

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

KozmoNaut posted:

Best secret ever.
That was more like the biggest "gently caress you, player" ever. :catstare: That first map is seriously a dick.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Man, playing Real Guns Hardcore is weird. I'm playing with Daredevil on the realistic hard difficulty, and I'm having to completely rethink a few levels. Like, Dead Simple? Instead of the usual kill everything with the shotgun/rocket launcher and leave, I had to hide with a WA2000 and slowly snipe all the Mancubi and super-Mancubi, and then suddenly there's half-Baron half-Arachnotrons everywhere and I'm having to use the Thumper for any chance at killing any of them.

I'm curious as to what the Modern Warfare campaign would be with Doom's weapons, now, though.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I can finish both Doom 1 and Doom 2 on Ultraviolence without problem but I can't beat Thy Flesh Consumed on that difficulty :(

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
I beat Thy Flesh Consumed on Ultraviolence on the PSX version complete with controller and frame rate drops. :cool:

Has anyone tried the new episode they made from Doom II on XBL? I've heard that will make Doom veterans cry but I'm not about to get an Xbox just for that.

"No Rest For the Living" I believe.

Quirk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 5, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

Best secret ever.

All these years and I have never known about that. I just did it and was amazed.

Just how far back does id's relationship with Trent Reznor go?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

http://www.mediafire.com/?b4h3dnnds7plodf
um here it is.
I used tnt and plutonia textures so load those iwads up before you start playing.
It is such a wip :(

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Quirk posted:

Has anyone tried the new episode they made from Doom II on XBL? I've heard that will make Doom veterans cry but I'm not about to get an Xbox just for that.

On the easiest difficulty, the later levels of the new episode are comparable to Thy Flesh Consumed on ultra-violence. It's pretty brutal. But when you finish it you get a cool Doom outfit for your avatar :smug:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

diegetic poster posted:

On the easiest difficulty, the later levels of the new episode are comparable to Thy Flesh Consumed on ultra-violence. It's pretty brutal. But when you finish it you get a cool Doom outfit for your avatar :smug:
It's made harder by the fact that there are no backpacks anywhere in the episode. Also I thought the final map and Cyberdemon battle was really anti-climatic.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 6, 2011

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

All these years and I have never known about that. I just did it and was amazed.

Just how far back does id's relationship with Trent Reznor go?

Officially started with Quake after he became such a fan of Doom during Downward Spiral's tour. He was supposed to do the music and sound effects for Doom 3 but that was when all the poo poo with his manager hit the fan so that was dropped since he couldn't legally do it for some reason. His old drummer Vrenna did the Doom 3 theme and you can find the Reznor packs online for the sound effects.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

WHY the gently caress is GZdoom deciding for no reason it's default resolution is an unusable one for my monitor? My monitor just goes blank with a "input lost" signal whenever I launch it after finding No Rest For The Living I am ungodly pissed right now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

It's also been released for computers if anyone's interested. :)

This downloads a broken file.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

This downloads a broken file.

Try this one

http://www.mediafire.com/?wbb7fw381ukl1in

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

Quirk posted:

It will. I played it splitscreen with my brother and when we were done at 4 in the morning we were just about ready to kill ourselves. And that's when we discovered that you don't get the Marine outfit if you don't play it in singleplayer. :(

But it is good though. The level design is pretty great as far as Doom maps go.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vertigus posted:

Try this one

http://www.mediafire.com/?wbb7fw381ukl1in

Awesome! Thanks!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hog Butcher posted:

Man, playing Real Guns Hardcore is weird. I'm playing with Daredevil on the realistic hard difficulty

I want to play this mp with someone. Pm me if you want to organize a game!

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

KozmoNaut posted:

Best secret ever.

gently caress you for making me try that. I'm not gonna sleep tonight.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 18, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mantle posted:

I want to play this mp with someone. Pm me if you want to organize a game!

I think it would be great if someone would set up a Skulltag server or two for our collective use. It's very easy to do and some cooperative games could be really fun. Great thing about Skulltag's server browser is that it can automatically seek out and download pwads that clients are missing so any goon servers could just have a rotation of cool custom wads without issue. I'd like to do it myself but my connection is fairly terrible. :(

Speaking of Skulltag and wads that are fun to play cooperatively, I'm a big fan of Hard-Doom, which uses custom monsters to be exactly what it sounds like. It's not an original idea but I think the execution is better balanced than most.

Unrelated wad suggestion: ZPack, a ZDoom community megawad full of fancy visual effects and neat stuff the likes of which never fails to enrage the people at Doomworld. Call me a heretic but I really enjoy seeing what people can do with Doom's classic gameplay in limit-removing ports.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Oh holy hell, how is anyone supposed to beat NRFTL with a controller?

Quirk fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 6, 2011

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Wow, No Rest for the Living is balls out, ain't it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quirk posted:

Oh holy hell, how was anyone supposed to beat NRFTL with a controller? Using Brutal Doom and you bet your rear end I'm inching along with the pistol zoomed.

Did it, no mods, Ultra-Violence.

:smug:

Took me months :shepface:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Dammit, how do you stop AEOD from whining about saved games being unplayable due to ADS modules? I didn't have this problem until recently...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

co199 posted:

Wow, No Rest for the Living is balls out, ain't it?

It's absolutely ridiculous, that's what.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Despite buying it on XBLA, I've only ever played it on PC. I ripped it myself and made it into a little ZDoom mod, including the new medkit artwork, new intermission screen etc. Even has an episode selection!

A shame I can't distribute it :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
objecting to OP

counterstrike guy had nothing to do with action quake 2 except his donation of his weapon models because his previous mod, navy seals, sucked and folded

action quake 2 is better in every way than cs and mw and every other game ever ever copied it

I'm biased though since aq2 was my first mod.

this world is so corrupt

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, um, no offense intended, but you guys probably shouldn't post links to rips of No Rest For The Living. It's still being actively sold on XBLA by Bethesda, so I'm pretty sure it's not really kosher for posting here, console-only or not. Sorry!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

objecting to OP

counterstrike guy had nothing to do with action quake 2 except his donation of his weapon models because his previous mod, navy seals, sucked and folded

action quake 2 is better in every way than cs and mw and every other game ever ever copied it

I'm biased though since aq2 was my first mod.

this world is so corrupt
Oh man, you worked on AQ2? What sort of stuff did you do? I'd love to hear any interesting stories you have from working on it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've been Playing The Ultimate Torment and Torture, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the difference between each of the 3 classes aside from the obvious difference in total health/starting weapon. Is scout the class for the hardcore player, or is there some other benefit I'm missing?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Marathon is now out for the iPad!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

After reading Masters of Doom last week I rather randomly picked up Rise of the Triad from GOG. Considering that I am not much of an FPS fan I am surprised to find that I am having an absolute blast with this game. Never seen it before in my life either so it is not some kind of nostalgia speaking. I guess the Half Life 2 series will get to remain in my Steam backlog for another half a decade.

Also:

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

This is true. AQ2 is awesome and you are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

treat posted:

I've been Playing The Ultimate Torment and Torture, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the difference between each of the 3 classes aside from the obvious difference in total health/starting weapon. Is scout the class for the hardcore player, or is there some other benefit I'm missing?

Class affects acceleration and top speed as well. The scout is definitely a better dodger.