Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Put a Mancubus on the other side and recreate that bit from Doom 2016 :allears:
I spawned myself there for testing purposes, so you actually come from the other direction. There is still a pretty good sized chunk of the level I haven't even started yet, so that mancubus is still a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally, I'd hide some passageways on the side behind the tallest stair, where Chaingunners or Cacodemons come out to swarm you.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Shadow Hog posted:

Personally, I'd hide some passageways on the side behind the tallest stair, where Chaingunners or Cacodemons come out to swarm you.
Don't worry. There will be plenty of hidden monsters to swarm you.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Hey Term, can I make a request for DUMP 3? Add notes to maps where jumping is required. I was stuck on MAP49 - Sinpenny Castle - Deviluke Roy way too long because I'm too dumb to take background music ripped from Super Mario World as a hint to jump.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is anyone able to shed some light on what my first course of action should be in Map 18 of Ancient Aliens? At this point I'm just running around the pyramid and through the purple goo mashing the use key while monsters spawn around me. I can't seem to figure out how to get to any of those keys.

E: Nevermind, I found a ledge that I somehow missed!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 25, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Keiya posted:

Hey Term, can I make a request for DUMP 3? Add notes to maps where jumping is required. I was stuck on MAP49 - Sinpenny Castle - Deviluke Roy way too long because I'm too dumb to take background music ripped from Super Mario World as a hint to jump.
Generally speaking with DUMP, I just assume jumping is required by default.

This shouldn't break any maps in the compilation, considering its intent to support ZDoom-isms like crouching and jumping was made rather clear from the onset - if it does break maps, then the mapper made a mistake.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Do gameplay mods that add new weapons/monsters such as Project Brutality and DoomRLA+DoomRPG work on map packs/megawads? I know that those gameplay mods won't work together but I'm worried about issues with spawns/weapon generation.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Am I missing something or is the autoaim behavior in vanilla Doom limited to a fairly short distance? There are all these annoying scenarios in Plutonia where Chaingunners and Revenants are shooting from across some huge chasm, and I apparently have no way to retaliate since I'm too far away for any vertical aiming to kick in.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

Am I missing something or is the autoaim behavior in vanilla Doom limited to a fairly short distance? There are all these annoying scenarios in Plutonia where Chaingunners and Revenants are shooting from across some huge chasm, and I apparently have no way to retaliate since I'm too far away for any vertical aiming to kick in.

You can snipe with the chaingun by carefully timing your shots. Every first shot from the chaingun is perfectly accurate, if you hold the trigger the spread increases. Avoid that and it becomes the best long distance weapon in the game.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

KozmoNaut posted:

Quakespasm can look ~99% like software-rendered quake.exe with a few console tweaks. The underwater warping effect isn't completely faithful, but it's better than GLQuake.

Quakespasm is basically the best version of GLQuake.

The water warping is one area where it deviates from pre-GLQuake, but the main thing people might want to have differently is the way that the software renderer restricted every output pixel to the Quake palette, even after lighting was applied. Depending on your taste, you can think that looks messy, or you can love it for being more "gritty" or "crunchy".

I posted a bit more about that on the Steam forums a day or so ago, so pardon me while I C&P:

quote:

If you really want something that looks like the original software-renderer Quake, but with soundtrack music file support, you have at least two good options, maybe three.

* The "winquake" variant of Fitzquake Mark V from this build: http://quakeone.com/proquake/interims/mark_v_20160207_windows.zip
Fitzquake Mark V has a lot of nice features and compatibility testing. It's similar to Quakespasm in some ways, but the "winquake" variant here uses a software renderer.

* qbism Super8: http://super8.qbism.com/
The Super8 engine used to be more about its own unique lighting model and palette, but its recent builds have changed to be more like software Quake. (Alternate palettes are still available as options.)

* You might also like using the FTE engine set to "faithful" rendering mode: http://fte.triptohell.info/ftedownloads/experimental

Fitzquake Mark V and qbism Super8 are both likely to be compatible with recent user maps/mods. Fitzquake Mark V at least (maybe qbism too, not sure) has also had a lot of testing with older mods. I haven't used FTE much myself but it has a bunch of cool features.

I tend to stick with Quakespasm for singleplayer stuff out of sheer inertia -- and also it's worth keeping in mind that most map authors test their visuals in Quakespasm, so lighting for newer stuff can look off in software renderers. But those other engines are cool too, especially for the original campaign/missionpacks or other older content.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 25, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Minidust posted:

Yup! And not just vanilla. Even with autoaim cranked all the way up in ZDoom the range is still limited.

Enemies can pelt you from any distance at all as far as I know. I'm not sure if I would call the player's autoaim range "fairly short," but it it is often too short in many cases. Not usually a problem if there are fireball-shooting enemies doing it (which is usually the case, thankfully) because you have a lifetime to get out of the way, but it becomes an awful nuisance when you throw chaingunners into the mix.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

After using Fitzquake, Super8, Quakespasm and some others I have to say that I prefer to use Quakespasm with some tweaks to look closer to software more. It's a good engine, compatible with most of the mods and levels and drat close to software quake already. And I can use the amazing goon weapon replacement too!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Okay, I'm at wits end. I'm trying to get chex3 mapping working in gzdoom builder because I am a huge dork who likes breakfast cereal tie-ins too much, and I keep getting these errors and don't know what's wrong. I copied the chex and chex3 config files and pointed it at my chex3.wad in the resources, is there something else I need to do?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Keiya posted:

Okay, I'm at wits end. I'm trying to get chex3 mapping working in gzdoom builder because I am a huge dork who likes breakfast cereal tie-ins too much, and I keep getting these errors and don't know what's wrong. I copied the chex and chex3 config files and pointed it at my chex3.wad in the resources, is there something else I need to do?

Okay.

"P_START" range at index 1424 is not closed in resource "chex3.wad" ("P_END" marker is missing).
That's a problem with GZDB. The P_START and P_END markers are ignored by the engine so it doesn't matter if one is missing; GZDB ought to tolerate their absence.

DECORATE warning in "chex3.wad\DECORATE:427", line 64. Unable to find "FlemoidusCommonus" class to replace, while parsing "FlemoidusCommonusV3". (and similar)
The base classes that are replaced are defined in zdoom.pk3 (or gzdoom.pk3 if you prefer). Load that as a resource.

Missing sprite lump "SGN2A0". Forgot to include required resources?
I can't tell of the top of my head, I'd have to check the GZDB configs and/or the chex3 IWAD, but it seems normal to me that it'd be missing since if I'm not mistaken (going from memory here) it's the super shotgun pickup sprite, and there's no equivalent to this weapon in Chex Quest.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dreamsicle posted:

Do gameplay mods that add new weapons/monsters such as Project Brutality and DoomRLA+DoomRPG work on map packs/megawads? I know that those gameplay mods won't work together but I'm worried about issues with spawns/weapon generation.

They will work with pretty much any maps. The only thing that will happen is that the mods will break enemy encounter design. In DRLA's case, you might acquire or assemble an overpowered gun. In PB's case, a monster closet gets even deadlier because of changed monster behaviors. Traditional mode might alleviate that. Hard to say what will happen. Best thing to do is go through the map pack "vanilla" then when you know what it's like, go through with a mod to give you a fresh take. I do thus with the original campaigns constantly.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Wamdoodle posted:

They will work with pretty much any maps. The only thing that will happen is that the mods will break enemy encounter design. In DRLA's case, you might acquire or assemble an overpowered gun. In PB's case, a monster closet gets even deadlier because of changed monster behaviors. Traditional mode might alleviate that. Hard to say what will happen. Best thing to do is go through the map pack "vanilla" then when you know what it's like, go through with a mod to give you a fresh take. I do thus with the original campaigns constantly.

Ah thanks. I always play new maps/megawads "vanilla" first. I just hoped that if/when I eventually play it again with a mod that functionality doesn't become heavily limited.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
In Trailblazer do your weapons parts/upgrades stay the same between levels? I'm plying with it on DUMP 1 and the parts I added to my pistol seemed to be gone when I returned to the hub area?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
DUMP enforces pistol start and does not play well with mods that have persistence, I'm pretty sure it's in the readme even. :)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh man, the secret levels in Plutonia. :shepicide:

I will beat Go 2 It though! Even if it takes me many, many tries. This must be what inspired nuts.wad huh?

So far around halfway through Plutonia, I'm loving it. It's extremely difficult and I do have gripes about how many Revenants and Chaingunner ambushes there are which makes things feel cheap, but there's never a moment in Plutonia where you're not shooting something, the puzzles besides the aforementioned invisible bridge that I was told about in this thread are nice and simple and any backtracking you have to do is mitigated by the fact that there's always shortcuts or a way that the switch or key you need loops back around to the door or bridge you needed them for. It flows well and is just good design.

I can imagine Plutonia would either be amazing with something like Brutal Doom or Project Brutality, or drat near unplayable due to how many Revenants and Chaingunners it throws at you and that's really my only complaint about it so far. If Plutonia 2 is more of the same but has more enemy variety then I should get to downloading that. :black101:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

DUMP enforces pistol start and does not play well with mods that have persistence, I'm pretty sure it's in the readme even. :)
Though to be fair, it doesn't strip your weapons from you until you enter a new level, so you should still have your pistol upgrades in the hub world (where it'll help you with all three of its enemies, whom you probably slaughtered before even entering your first map).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I will beat Go 2 It though! Even if it takes me many, many tries. This must be what inspired nuts.wad huh?

Go 2 It is generally considered to be the progenitor of the slaughtermap genre, though it was itself inspired by The Punisher.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Samuel Clemens posted:

Go 2 It is generally considered to be the progenitor of the slaughtermap genre, though it was itself inspired by The Punisher.

I love the little reverent hidden inside the exit room as a final middle finger to the player

Maps like this are the reason doomguy is in such a bad mood come doom the fourth.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh man, the secret levels in Plutonia. :shepicide:

Hope you enjoy eventually taking on Go 4 It.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If Plutonia 2 is more of the same but has more enemy variety then I should get to downloading that. :black101:
If you look at Plutonia 2, don't forget to also try Plutonia Revisited.

I mean, at least Have @ It does not feature several MAP30 monster spawners, contrarily to Go 4 It.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fighting the mighty Cerberus in Daikatana:

Why did no-one tell me the plot of this game was this insane? I went from slogging through a burger factory/crematorium that culminated in a boss fight involving disembodied brains and monsters that fire beams that made Solid Snake Hiro trip the gently caress out, to fighting minotaurs, big titted flying archer women, centaurs and goddamn Medusa. Now I'm in a middle ages plague village and who the hell even knows what's happening anymore? :catdrugs:

Also this game can look kinda pretty:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Fighting the mighty Cerberus in Daikatana:

Why did no-one tell me the plot of this game was this insane? I went from slogging through a burger factory/crematorium that culminated in a boss fight involving disembodied brains and monsters that fire beams that made Solid Snake Hiro trip the gently caress out, to fighting minotaurs, big titted flying archer women, centaurs and goddamn Medusa. Now I'm in a middle ages plague village and who the hell even knows what's happening anymore? :catdrugs:

Also this game can look kinda pretty:

Lookin' really Quake 1 engine there, Daikatana.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Chapter 3 of Daikatana is the better Hexen.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

That's not terribly relevant though. I'd call a Quake 1 engine game with great art direction prettier than the latest real is brown gpu sadism game, easy. And for all its faults, Daikatana does have a lot of areas that are well-designed visually.

Cat Mattress posted:

Okay.

"P_START" range at index 1424 is not closed in resource "chex3.wad" ("P_END" marker is missing).
That's a problem with GZDB. The P_START and P_END markers are ignored by the engine so it doesn't matter if one is missing; GZDB ought to tolerate their absence.

DECORATE warning in "chex3.wad\DECORATE:427", line 64. Unable to find "FlemoidusCommonus" class to replace, while parsing "FlemoidusCommonusV3". (and similar)
The base classes that are replaced are defined in zdoom.pk3 (or gzdoom.pk3 if you prefer). Load that as a resource.

Missing sprite lump "SGN2A0". Forgot to include required resources?
I can't tell of the top of my head, I'd have to check the GZDB configs and/or the chex3 IWAD, but it seems normal to me that it'd be missing since if I'm not mistaken (going from memory here) it's the super shotgun pickup sprite, and there's no equivalent to this weapon in Chex Quest.

Ah, okay! Thanks! That helped with the majority of them, and I'm comfortable letting it whine about the other two.

(What would a Chex super shotgun even be? The Large Zorcher's spread already is kind of weird and unexpected...)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
real is brown is some definite "old man yells at cloud" poo poo just so you know

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm not saying it's brown. I'm saying it's very square and low poly.

You know, like Quake architecture.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Lookin' really Quake 1 engine there, Daikatana.

Using this much garish primary coloured lighting was passe long before Daikatana ever hit shelves, but after umpteen grey corridored shooters it's refreshing. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's stylish, but at least it's not boring. Then again, I am also playing the FEAR expansion packs, so I'm hungry for colour like a starving man in the desert.

If I can be a bit wanky for a moment, it kinda reminds me of Nicholas Winding Refn and Gaspar Noe:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Why hello there Azure Agony.

er.. blue green Agony.

edit: turquoise agony?

Turquoise Torment?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 25, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Even the things that would normally piss me off in Plutonia are kind of funny to the point that I can premptively guess where a Chaingunner ambush is going to happen. Or other times where I feel like the developers are trolling me, Map 11: The Hunted especially. I should be annoyed having to navigate a featureless maze with Arch-Viles all over the maze but the setup is so ridiculous that I can't even being myself to be annoyed.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Uh... that is indeed the Icon of Sin's head. :stare:

Wonder if it's a redone map or just a redone boss.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
dude fights a big boss that stands there and shoots at him for seven minutes, how brootal

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Icon of Sin is kind of a poo poo fight in all of its incarnations, sadly.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Is there any reason to stick with darkplaces over quakespasm? Can I make quakespasm look pretty :allears:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

widespread posted:

Uh... that is indeed the Icon of Sin's head. :stare:

Wonder if it's a redone map or just a redone boss.

Jesus Christ, I don't want to know what he did to get GZDoom to look that ugly.

In other news, I'm playing Doom The Way Id Did for the first time and wow, this has some really good use of triggers.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

How strongly does Doom 2 the Way Id Did adhere to Sandy Petersen's design sensibilities? I mean, I know it's in the name, but part of me hopes they, perhaps accidentally, deviated a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Personally I think D2TWID is a super good Wad.