Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Reposting for anyone considering playing Hexen.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I do not like Hexen.

Heretic was my first ever FPS. It was awesome. My parents let me play it and not doom because doom had real guns and you shot people in it. The closest heretic got to people was yellow michelin men full of ghosts. But Heretic was and is pretty great, nostalgia aside.

Naturally I was just super jazzed when my dad got Hexen. It was like Heretic, but it had all this crazy new poo poo. Open world! New monsters! Three roided up todd mcfarlane badasses to choose from! Powerups out the rear end!

I thought it was awesome at the time, mostly cause I just cheated and warped around the levels, but playing it again now, all that stuff is the reason it sucks.

Hexen is not gritty, it is just ugly. Quake gets poo poo for being brown. Brown is a feature Quake lifted shamelessly from Hexen and ruined with the occassioanl brightly lit section. Hexen is muddy, foggy, dim, not even as interesting as dark. When I was a kid I found the game a little unsettling, I thought this was because of the scarier monsters and hanging corpses, but no. The game was just giving me seasonal depression. The art style is like something a van-airbrusher or metal album cover artist did in their off time using the colours they had left after they had used up all the colours that make people feel excitement.

The class system sucks too. More choice! More playstyles! No. 4 weapons per playthrough. gently caress you. And if the repetition of using 1 or 2 weapons all the time wasn't bad enough, those weapons suck.

The fighter's weapons suck. He doesn't get a ranged weapon till episode 2, so his extra health is offset by all the getting hit in the face he does. That ranged weapon being the hammer bros hammer from mario. Which I guess is cool. His ultimate weapon is a sword. A sword that you aren't even allowed to hit people with. It shoots green poo poo in a big wave, I guess because it's magic.

The mage's default grandma brooch is his best weapon, which means you'll spend ages plinking away with the most boring effect in history. His ultimate incorporates the exciting design elements of redness and skulls but its main power is using all your mana to shoot stupid fire grappling hooks into the wall either side of your enemy.

The cleric gets the best weapons, but they make no sense. A snake staff? I've not been to church many times but I've seen at least half of Witchfinder General and there was no snake staff in that. And Witchfinder General was awesome. His second weapon is I guess a spell the mage didn't really want. It doesn't even shoot holy beams out. Just basic fire. His ultimate is extremely rad however because it is a heavy metal crucifix that shoots ghosts. Angry ghosts with a lust for wrecking dudes. Sometimes they even turn around and wreck you. But you will never get to use it because it uses too much mana.

The hub system is terrible. Maybe it's just me. Maybe at the time there were a hell of a lot of dudes writing in to Raven saying "Heretic was AWESOME but what would really kick it OFF THE CHAIN (it was the 90s) is if you had to revisit each level three times to unlock one extra room with 3 imps in and a switch you will not see.". But that's what most of the game is. They don't even tell you what the switches have unlocked. You just have to blunder about. The levels are poo poo too. Nobody wants to go to a cave once, never mind three times. It's not even a cool cave with like, lava and skeletons and a hidden demon temple. It's just a regular cave. The monsters all wear northface clothes and want to talk to you about stalactites and quartz.

I guess to themeatically mirror the weapons, the enemies are poo poo too. There are like 5 of them and at least three of them are lifted from Heretic and made less fun. I guess they still had some lovely mechanics left over after they were done converting the Heretic monsters so the main other new monster is a fleshy centaur looking thing that blocks for like 2 seconds straight every time you hit them. It takes two hits to kill them of almost any weapon, so killing them is like being a cashier waiting for a senior citizen to find something in their purse then put it away again. There are 100 of them in every level and they all queue up behind the one that is currently wasting your time. Again like old people at a checkout.

That is the whole game. Killing inconvenient, boring enemies with inconvenient, boring weapons to find a switch nobody gives a gently caress about.

This post came out way spergier than intended so I guess i'll be chased out of here being whipped with model trains, but seriously gently caress Hexen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Hexen is the Doom-engine game that would benefit most from a "Brutal" gameplay overhaul, but it will never happen...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Alternatively, skip Hexen and go straight to Serpent: Resurrection, which is still being updated.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=23024

Absurdly huge and ambitious mod that has most of the good bits about Hexen and very little of the bad, plus has a good range of weapons to every character.

Edit: Ha, it's grown! Last I checked, there weren't 7 characters.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 26, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Segmentation Fault posted:

Reposting for anyone considering playing Hexen.

At the risk of sounding self-serving, I also wrote about Hexen after suffering through it a couple months ago:

Mak0rz posted:

I have a confession to make, everyone.

These past few days I played through Hexen. All of it. Including the Deathkings of the Dark Citadel expansion. I did it because it's a game I started and abonded several times since childhood. I did it just so I could say I did. I did it because I am a really dumb self-loathing idiot. I pretty much knew I wasn't going to be in for a good time, if not only from the ramblings of the FPS aficionados in this thread, but holy poo poo I really did not expect it to be that bad.

Most of what FirstPersonShitter says is right on the money for the most part. The levels are needlessly confusing and labyrinthine in all the wrong ways. I can sort of see what they were going for with the hub world and side-dungeons full of traps and switches, but man they really went to hell with it in the worst way possible. Near the end of the game you have to suffer through a bunch of boss gauntlets, two of which are "Heresiarchs," which are insanely bullshit hard unless you have the Wraithverge (the Cleric's ultimate weapon that FirstPersonShitter colorfully described as "a heavy metal crucifix that shoots ghosts"). The weapons and items are utter garbage, though I will say that he was being a little unfair when saying the Mage gets the worst weapons. One of his spells is easily the best non-Wraithverge weapon in the game: the Arc of Death. It's a wave of lightning that traps enemies in an electrical vortex and usually holds them there until they die.

It sounds fun as it is and honestly it really is, but something makes it very special: it is the only weapon that can kill Centaurs faster than in five goddamn minutes.

FPS' rant only made a passing mention of them, but they are by far the game's biggest problem. Centaurs (and their identical-looking plasma beam shooting superiors, "Slaughtaurs") really ruin any enjoyment anyone could hope to get from this game, even when considering the confusing maps and switch/key hunts. I will even go as far to say that Hexen would actually be fairly decent if it weren't for them. They have a lot of health and instantly react to getting hit by putting a shield up for five seconds or so, which makes them immune to physical attacks and reflects all projectiles back at you. This means they can take a long rear end time to kill.

Honestly that wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the game unloads piles upon piles of them on you after you meet them for the first time in the Guardian of Steel way early in the game. Even considering all of this Centaurs aren't even a challenge at all. They're just outrageously tedious and bloat the game's playtime twofold by just existing. gently caress Centaurs. The Cleric's gas cloud Flechettes do help a bit, when the game feels like it. Sometimes it kills Centaurs in seconds and sometimes it just stunlocks them in a pain state and never damages them. It's really weird. Regardless they are totally obsoleted by the Wraithverge and its bloodlusting ball of ghosts anyway, which can easily kill a dozen Centaurs in just one shot.

The game also has a habit of spawning more enemies if you take too long in a map, but that's okay because it just throws more Ettins (the two-headed ogre guys) at you and they're no problem no matter what class/weapon you choose. This changes in Deathkings though. Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is more compact. I felt the maps were far more logically constructed, though just as big and winding, and the game actually telegraphed if a switch affected something in another map. Great! That said, Deathkings is still worse, and for just one reason. Hexen's penchant for spawning monsters if you dawdle is back, and this time they aren't limited to Ettins. Guess what the creature of choice is and boy they really come by the dozens this time! :buddy:

gently caress Hexen. It was an unenjoyable experience throughout. Someone a few pages back asked how they can just skip Seven Portals so they can get on with the game. I'm not sure what replies were given, but buddy I'm just going to tell you: Seven Portals and the map that comes before it are the best parts in the entire loving game. Move on. It's not worth it.

Now I'm working on Hexen II, and so far it seems okay! I'm not getting mobbed by enemies that take hours to die and that's fine by me. The levels aren't nearly as dense and they are far easier to navigate. I'm not very far in it so that's really all I can say right now.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 26, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I really didn't enjoy playing Hexen either. It's way too confusing. I wouldn't say I'm totally clueless with these kinds of games in general, but I was completely disoriented and confused within half an hour of the game and I just didn't have any idea where I was supposed to go next. Wandering from room to room hoping for a breakthrough made for some really dire gameplay time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only good thing about Hexen is the aesthetic, which someone in this thread described as like playing through a heavy metal album cover.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Wrath of Cronos made Hexen better for me. The maps are still heinous but the gameplay being a lot more fun made me more willing to slog through them. https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1224

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hexen is as much fun as smashing penis/vulva in door then self immolating. Just play Powerslave or something instead, trust me

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well, I'm trying to go through a lot of notable FPS games starting from some of the earliest to modern day games. I'll come back and do Doom 64 at some point as well as fanmade wads for Doom 1/2, but right now I'm sticking with official releases and Chex Quest is up next.

And I know very much what Hexen's reputation is like and I've got a friend who bitched enough about it but I'm still going to suffer through it, even though I know the whole game is going to be full of the gimmicky "what the gently caress did I just do?" bullshit that the worst of Sandy Petersen's levels and a lot of the Master Levels of Doom II fall victim to. I'll eventually do Hexen 2 as well, which I hear is actually a bit better than the original but still falls victim to some of the same problems that befall the first game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Elliotw2 posted:

Chapter 3 of Daikatana is the better Hexen.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Doom 4 is really good, as it turns out!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It is! Though the later levels get really linear and start introducing points-of-no-return, frequently not terribly well-telegraphed.

As I was just whining about on DoomWorld earlier today, I kept discovering I missed secrets in the Advanced Research Facility, meaning I had to listen to Samuel Hayden reveal the Helix Stone to me four times over. And it's a pretty lengthy speech, too, without a whole lot to look at (well, I mean, there's some interesting things, but you generally exhaust them the first or second time through).

Just let me skip this and get back to secret-hunting, please. Better yet, how about not permanently locking the door from the ventilation rooms to the BFG research lab when I go through it, so I can go back to the outdoors area if I want to? Or not locking the door behind me when I enter the lobby for Hayden's office, so I could go back to the restrooms and find the automap secret?

Though the next level (the one from the GTX1080 conference that made everyone realize Bethesda might be mishandling the marketing for the game) was a fair bit easier on the secret-hunting front, only had to revisit it one time over to catch a Rune and a Doll I missed (the cues for those secrets were subtle). And the Cyberdemon fight was really fun, if kinda easy on HMP (only died once)!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Chex Quest was kind of cute. Short enough too that by the time the novelty was wearing off, it was over. I'm also kind of impressed with how good Episode 2 and 3 of Chex Quest look, I know 3 came out long after the first two but Episode 2 gave me serious Duke Nukem 3D vibes of all things. Hopefully a possible Episode 4: Thy Flem Consumed will happen one day.

Now onto Wizard Doom.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
IMO Hexen is good and fun but it's a game you really need to play with a walkthrough available to you for when you get stuck/lost. I definitely wouldn't want to play it without one.

I guess that might disqualify it as being good and/or fun in some people's minds, which isn't a wholly unreasonable position to take, but for me it would also disqualify many other games I've enjoyed such as basically any Elder Scrolls game, so :shrug:

e: not saying that e.g. Morrowind is exactly as obtuse as Hexen can be at its worst, just that they share the venn circle of games that need that sort of outside assistance to be their very best.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Is it just me or is Heretic a lot harder that Doom? I'm playing on the UV equivalent but I feel like monsters take way longer to die and projectiles fly way faster so its harder to dodge them. Its kind of making me feel like I just suck at games. I just finished episode 1, on 2 now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Chex Quest was kind of cute. Short enough too that by the time the novelty was wearing off, it was over. I'm also kind of impressed with how good Episode 2 and 3 of Chex Quest look, I know 3 came out long after the first two but Episode 2 gave me serious Duke Nukem 3D vibes of all things. Hopefully a possible Episode 4: Thy Flem Consumed will happen one day.

Now onto Wizard Doom.

Yeah Chex Quest 2 is surprisingly one of the best efforts at doing "real world" locations. Granted it's a cartoon world still, but still things don't really look too out of scale.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMH7QpcTVE0&t=61s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12zGtbW9fis&t=54s

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

No Vietcong. :( Cool series nonetheless.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Now onto Wizard Doom.

Wizard Doom?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

fishmech posted:

Yeah Chex Quest 2 is surprisingly one of the best efforts at doing "real world" locations. Granted it's a cartoon world still, but still things don't really look too out of scale.

Speaking of that, I've just been playing Hellbound and in spite of its problems it has some absolutely beautiful architecture that makes sense as real locations. It also shows that Doom 2 has some amazing texture work, since almost all the textures it uses are stock.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dominic White posted:

Alternatively, skip Hexen and go straight to Serpent: Resurrection, which is still being updated.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=23024

Absurdly huge and ambitious mod that has most of the good bits about Hexen and very little of the bad, plus has a good range of weapons to every character.

Edit: Ha, it's grown! Last I checked, there weren't 7 characters.

Hmmm, I haven't played a Heretic/Hexen, neither do I own them. Will it work if I just load it into GZDoom or do I actually need Hexen for it to function?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RickVoid posted:

Wizard Doom?

Pretty sure it's code for "Heretic"

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

BattleMaster posted:

Speaking of that, I've just been playing Hellbound and in spite of its problems it has some absolutely beautiful architecture that makes sense as real locations. It also shows that Doom 2 has some amazing texture work, since almost all the textures it uses are stock.

I think Hellbound is incredible and aside from the obnoxiously dark lighting it plays wonderfully. Some of the maps can be a little too big, but it's a real spectacle to fight through those gorgeous levels.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I think Hellbound is incredible and aside from the obnoxiously dark lighting it plays wonderfully. Some of the maps can be a little too big, but it's a real spectacle to fight through those gorgeous levels.

It's very good but not quite perfect. What's annoyed me so far about halfway through is some of the cheap stuff like monsters popping into existence (I assume they're in a 1 unit by 1 unit hole or something with an instant elevator trigger), Revenants hiding in punch range immediately behind a door, and overuse of monster teleportation. However, all of those things greatly improved after about MAP10 and there have been some really fantastic maps such as MAP12 and MAP15. I'll also give MAP31 a pass on all that because the teleportation was telegraphed enough that it wasn't annoying.

I'm pretty proud of myself for being able to find the entrance to MAP31, but I had to watch a video to find the very subtle switch in the center arena for the last Keen to get to MAP32. I had managed to figure out everything else all by myself and spent a while racking my brain trying to figure it out before I gave up so I'm kicking myself for not looking closely enough.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ancient Aliens is great but man I'm getting frustrated how frequently I get into a "What the gently caress do I do next?" situation.

Speaking of, what the hell do I do in map 24 after going down the waterfall and hitting the nearby switch? Opening it up in GZDoom Builder shows it frees a voodoo doll off screen that conveys down a corridor to a dead-end but that doesn't much help me at all.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried hosting some brutal doom with just Brutalv20 and Alien Vendetta.

poo poo's pretty fun. Most doomers that drop by are just having fun and blasting stuff. Can anyone suggest any other cool mappacks to rotate through?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

fishmech posted:

It looks a lot more convincing that Doom II's city levels, which just kind of look like a mess.

RickVoid posted:

Wizard Doom?

Yeah what Mak0rz said. Heretic.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Jehde posted:

No Vietcong. :( Cool series nonetheless.

I remember Vietcong as the first game that had ADS and having to look at items on the ground and pressing a button to pick them up. It also had derpy NPCs and AIs you had to follow and babysit.
The gameplay was pretty decent, especially if you had the hardware to run it at 60fps back in the day, but I'm ambivalent about the game overall.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Is it just me or is Heretic a lot harder that Doom? I'm playing on the UV equivalent but I feel like monsters take way longer to die and projectiles fly way faster so its harder to dodge them. Its kind of making me feel like I just suck at games. I just finished episode 1, on 2 now.

You've got inventory items: don't hoard them, use them. Tome of Power or Morph Ovum can help deal with a dense mob quickly, Quartz Flasks and Mystic Urns let you tough it out like you were invulnerable, Shadowsphere makes you fully immune to undead knights...

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Just found this megapack of Quake 2 single player maps, there are 109 levelsets and 243 single maps.

And Blood is on sale @ GOG. Go play Blood.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 27, 2016

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Cat Mattress posted:

You've got inventory items: don't hoard them, use them. Tome of Power or Morph Ovum can help deal with a dense mob quickly, Quartz Flasks and Mystic Urns let you tough it out like you were invulnerable, Shadowsphere makes you fully immune to undead knights...
If I remember right you lose all but one of each item every time you go to a new level, so even if you have hoarding tendencies there's still no reason not to use (almost) all your items by the end of every map.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lork posted:

If I remember right you lose all but one of each item every time you go to a new level, so even if you have hoarding tendencies there's still no reason not to use (almost) all your items by the end of every map.

Yes. And you always lose the wings of wrath, so when you find one, use it! Not necessarily right away, but pay attention. Wings in a level generally means you've got some secrets that can be reached only by flying.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

What's the best way to play Heretic nowadays, anyway? Chocolate Heretic, Zdoom, something else? I don't want fancy graphics or anything, just a faithful engine that runs well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Chocolate Heretic for the true 1994 feeling, or just GZdoom since you probably already have it configured.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Wait what

I've played through Heretic ten times and I never knew this, holy poo poo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well, maybe not fully, they can still hurt you in melee, but their projectiles -- both green ethereal axes and red blood axes -- will go through you harmlessly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've gone through the first episode of Heretic and my thoughts overall are kind of meh. It's not bad really, but there's just something about it which I don't like. Could be the environments, which sometimes make doors and switches just kind of blend into the scenery or it could be that weapons feel really weak unless you use a Tome of Power. I played on the second hardest difficulty, assuming it was the Ultra-Violence equivalent from Doom but enemies seem to take a few too many hits to kill unless you use a Tome of Power and there's a lot of them and I'm one of those people who hoards items just in case I really need it for a future encounter which never comes. The thing is, I know the weapons act pretty much like Doom's weapons but they just don't feel as satisfying to use.

Do future episodes pick up and get better? Should I lower the difficulty if I feel that enemies are bullet sponges and weapons feel weak? Or am I just playing it wrong somehow?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've gone through the first episode of Heretic and my thoughts overall are kind of meh. It's not bad really, but there's just something about it which I don't like. Could be the environments, which sometimes make doors and switches just kind of blend into the scenery or it could be that weapons feel really weak unless you use a Tome of Power. I played on the second hardest difficulty, assuming it was the Ultra-Violence equivalent from Doom but enemies seem to take a few too many hits to kill unless you use a Tome of Power and there's a lot of them and I'm one of those people who hoards items just in case I really need it for a future encounter which never comes. The thing is, I know the weapons act pretty much like Doom's weapons but they just don't feel as satisfying to use.

Do future episodes pick up and get better? Should I lower the difficulty if I feel that enemies are bullet sponges and weapons feel weak? Or am I just playing it wrong somehow?

I've never finished Heretic because TR he enemies felt really bullet spongey. Also I played on the UV difficulty. Try lowering it. See how it feels.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Say hello to another dude who has joined the "Just Finished Plutonia" club! Well I might mess around and try to get/beat the secret levels, but MAP30 is in the books.

Playing through on UV was a rewarding experience, but I am definitely in the mood for something less intense next. With that in mind, what would be recommended difficulty settings for the following:
  • Going Down
  • Ancient Aliens
  • RF 1024
  • Strange Aeons

I know Plutonia is considered especially hard, so sticking with UV on a different map set might be fine. On the other hand a lot of community maps ramp the difficulty way up from Doom 2, so I just want to be sure I'm avoiding a lateral move here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Minidust posted:

Say hello to another dude who has joined the "Just Finished Plutonia" club! Well I might mess around and try to get/beat the secret levels, but MAP30 is in the books.

Playing through on UV was a rewarding experience, but I am definitely in the mood for something less intense next. With that in mind, what would be recommended difficulty settings for the following:
  • Going Down
  • Ancient Aliens
  • RF 1024
  • Strange Aeons

I know Plutonia is considered especially hard, so sticking with UV on a different map set might be fine. On the other hand a lot of community maps ramp the difficulty way up from Doom 2, so I just want to be sure I'm avoiding a lateral move here.

I can't speak for Strange Aeons, but playing the other three on UV will certainly keep you on your toes!