Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

For millennia scientists, philosophers, and generals have wondered the best way to combat the forces of evil. Blessed weaponry? Ancient knowledge? Purity of heart? It wasn't until the Doom Slayer showed up and we figured out that a double barrel shotgun would do just fine.

Shotgun and chainsaw, the only arsenal a real hero needs.

http://i.imgur.com/PnzEzFp.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Lemon-Lime posted:

The fact that you have all this high-tech heavy artillery lying around and don't use any of it because you have a sawn-off hunting shotgun is one of the funniest and best things about Doom 4.

In Hell of all places (if you find it in the secret location).

It's like loving Excalibur.

KozmoNaut posted:

Shotgun and chainsaw, the only arsenal a real hero needs.

Morter fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 31, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wamdoodle posted:

Wow! This is looking good already. To think that you just started mapping recently :)

Thanks! For such a niche hobby, I'm proud of the speed at which I'm building my skills. Lighting this map is going to be a nightmare though because I made torches in the underground parts and my fake OCD will never forgive me if I don't make them actually radiate light :suicide:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I haven't started my DUMP stuff until tomorrow because I'm a good boy, but I have started preparing graphics and planning etc... I want to do both a map and a weapon, but that might be stretching it.

This is my planned weapon, the Holy Water Pistol from Doom 2 RPG on dumbphones. It's a water pistol with a relic inside of it that purifies everything inside of it and turns it into holy water.

Primary fire shoots monsters, scalding and hopefully scaring them (if I can sort out how to do that without editing the monster's code), secondary fire takes a couple of seconds to, uh, "refill" it, rendering you briefly unable to attack. This is my first from-scratch weapon HUD sprite, and boy, does it look it!

The map will have you raiding the headquarters of SatanCorp ("We're down with the devil!"), so it'll have "motivational" posters on the walls.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:lol: the Samsara poster.

Speaking of scaring enemies, has anyone ever attempted to mod a morale system into Doom? Kill enough enemies quickly enough and the remaining enemies become feared, bigger foes boost morale for everyone but killing them counts for more, that sort of stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CJacobs posted:

Thanks! For such a niche hobby, I'm proud of the speed at which I'm building my skills. Lighting this map is going to be a nightmare though because I made torches in the underground parts and my fake OCD will never forgive me if I don't make them actually radiate light :suicide:

Dude, I'm looking forward to playing your map, looks great! Add that polish, and it'll be awesome :toot:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

I haven't started my DUMP stuff until tomorrow because I'm a good boy, but I have started preparing graphics and planning etc... I want to do both a map and a weapon, but that might be stretching it.

This is my planned weapon, the Holy Water Pistol from Doom 2 RPG on dumbphones. It's a water pistol with a relic inside of it that purifies everything inside of it and turns it into holy water.

Primary fire shoots monsters, scalding and hopefully scaring them (if I can sort out how to do that without editing the monster's code), secondary fire takes a couple of seconds to, uh, "refill" it, rendering you briefly unable to attack. This is my first from-scratch weapon HUD sprite, and boy, does it look it!

The map will have you raiding the headquarters of SatanCorp ("We're down with the devil!"), so it'll have "motivational" posters on the walls.

Those posters are great :)

Lemon-Lime posted:

:lol: the Samsara poster.

Speaking of scaring enemies, has anyone ever attempted to mod a morale system into Doom? Kill enough enemies quickly enough and the remaining enemies become feared, bigger foes boost morale for everyone but killing them counts for more, that sort of stuff.

The mod "Faspons" adds a fear meter similar to this. I think it's just based on speed of kills in a row. Once you fill the meter, the monsters become scared and retreat away from you. It wears off though.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48985

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The fact that you have all this high-tech heavy artillery lying around and don't use any of it because you have a sawn-off hunting shotgun is one of the funniest and best things about Doom 4.

I definitely used plenty of the Gauss Cannon, which is totally "high-tech heavy artillery." Siege Mode was a great addition to the Doomguy arsenal.

The actual best part about Doom 4 is the main character is actually named The Doom Marine.

(Or the Doom Slayer, depending on who you ask, but the dossier says Doom Marine.)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
The dossier says that's what the people at UAC unofficially named him

But the "Doomguy" doll is the one he fist bumps. I'd say he identifies with that the most.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Morter posted:

The dossier says that's what the people at UAC unofficially named him

Yeah but that's as official a name as anything else, so I say it counts :colbert:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

If you want to play a Hexen game that's good, give Serpent Resurrection a shot. It can feel a bit uninspired at times and the level design is mostly meh, but the light RPG elements are fun and it is a good fantasy combat game that isn't ruined by poo poo puzzles and confusing hubs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

If you want to play a Hexen game that's good, give Serpent Resurrection a shot. It can feel a bit uninspired at times and the level design is mostly meh, but the light RPG elements are fun and it is a good fantasy combat game that isn't ruined by poo poo puzzles and confusing hubs.

I'll probably give it a shot when I come back around to do community wads. Trying to get the vanilla games done first. I hear Hexen 2 also has light RPG elements in that you can level up? Though it'll be a little while before I get to Hexen 2, going to do Strife and then go through the Build games that aren't Tekwar next.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

TrooperDan still works on Duke Forces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkLzj3oQKQw

quote:

There will also be an AT-ST, and I want at least one of them to be drivable by the player.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I hear Hexen 2 also has light RPG elements in that you can level up?

Kinda. You level up and have stats that go up with level, but they have literally no purpose. The only stats that have actual functions are max HP and mana.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Kinda. You level up and have stats that go up with level, but they have literally no purpose. The only stats that have actual functions are max HP and mana.

I like the idea behind the Hexen games. They're kind of like Metroid Prime with some light D&D elements before Metroid Prime was a thing, but I just wish they were executed better. A modern day Hexen 3 could probably be something really special if done right.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lemon-Lime posted:

who needs lasers when you can drive two shells at a time into a demon's face

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure how to fix that. The player spawn is a Thing, so the file should exist. Perhaps messing around with the Things in GZDB will fix it? Otherwise someone far more knowledgeable than me will need to help.

Also, thank you 90's iD Software, for your fantastic naming conventions.

I think I got it. The GZDoom Launcher was horribly outdated, so it needed SLADE's conventions. When I used the newer version of GZDoom, it worked just fine.

EDIT: Now to make sure it uses the music the MAPINFO pointed to. Somehow.

widespread fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 31, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I like the idea behind the Hexen games. They're kind of like Metroid Prime with some light D&D elements before Metroid Prime was a thing, but I just wish they were executed better. A modern day Hexen 3 could probably be something really special if done right.

Honestly just play Skyrim, or maybe Daggerfall if you want that good ol DOS era jankiness.

Edit: that was probably disingenuous because Hexen 1/2 provide you with the puzzle-solving dungeon-crawling RPG-like gameplay in a fantasy setting without all the talking to NPCs nonsense.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 31, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIr4VSUOfYg

How about a Gloome-powered platform game? Apparently dhe developer is planning to bring the game to Steam, and is now working on levels, as the engine side of things is finished.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm working through Final Doom too - one level a day.

I'm up to the closing sections of TNT at the moment, but my main problem is that these levels are just too drat long. I mean, spending 45 minutes in a single map feels like I'm kicking my heels, especially as the game isn't always clear about how you're supposed to proceed. Also, you get essentially two in one levels, where you spend ages battling through some complex base, which proceeds to teleport you into another section so big it may as well be another level entirely.

Also, as someone who's played through Master Levels, I'd skip it. The maps tend to be good ideas and some of them are quite pretty, but they're not actually that much fun to play. All too often you run into ammo bottlenecks where you pretty much have to restart the level.

Yeah the levels just felt like they were asking too much from me. Every time I finished a level was just a relief more than anything. I thought it was that the encounters were too intense too often, but thinking about it the length definitely added to it. I was also playing on Ultra Hardcore through everything and probably should have lowered it at Final Doom but I can never seem to lower a difficulty once I've started on a high one.

I guess I'll move onto Quake or Heretic next then. Before playing through the Dooms I thought I wasn't much of a single-player shooter fan but it turns out I'm just not a fan of modern shooter campaigns. And it's not nostalgia either since I played maybe a handful of Doom levels before this. Be interesting to see when/where my interest falls off since I've basically got the history of the FPS in my backlog to work through.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm working my way through TNT right now. I'll be following my standard progression, which is beat the game with vanilla HMP to figure out the level layouts and basic monster placement, then Brutal difficulty in PB, then (if I'm in the mood) once more with death wish spawn mode and my customized "Power Fantasy" difficulty based on what BD's Power Fantasy settings used to be (AmmoFactor=6, DamageFactor and MonsterHealth=.6, Nightmare spawn settings).

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

CJacobs posted:

Here's a sneak peak at my progress on my DUMP map so far. Still laying out the first "stage" of the level; the door at the top is a red key door that will lead to the second part of the map. I wanted to try something I haven't before for this one: My previous maps have all utilized mostly-square geometrically shaped corridors, and while I think that's fine and it looks good, I wanted to see what making more organically shaped areas is like! It turns out, it's pretty fun.

I am recording all of my mapmaking, I'll probably put out a timelapse of me making the map when it's all finished.

Hey, mapping starts tomorrow. SHAME.

Also apparently Doom only has 'dead tree' and 'dead tree that was also burned up', does anyone know of a good source of other vegetation that's usable? I need live trees for contrast reasons... you'll see.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Honestly just play Skyrim, or maybe Daggerfall if you want that good ol DOS era jankiness.

Edit: that was probably disingenuous because Hexen 1/2 provide you with the puzzle-solving dungeon-crawling RPG-like gameplay in a fantasy setting without all the talking to NPCs nonsense.

Even better, Ultima Underworld is probably perfect.

Also it's really weird seeing how many people have recently crawled out of the woodwork who seem to be allergic to good level design in Doom and make up for it with overpowered gameplay mods. Against Thee Wickedly is great, with some really fun leap of faith situations. And don't extinguish any fun in TNT Evilution let alone Plutonia or the Master Levels with Project Brutality. Wow.

@Keiya: If you just want textures, not things, there's live tree walls in Plutonia I think.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I gotta give credit to the combination of Legendoom and Colourfull Hell, that's one hell of a combo.

Especially when you get a black-level chaingunner that also turns out to be a legendary monster :stonk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Keiya posted:

Oops. Well I'm not making any custom assets or anything for it so let's pretend that I am devoting those days to mapping instead and that's fair and not something I just made up

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Keiya posted:

Also apparently Doom only has 'dead tree' and 'dead tree that was also burned up', does anyone know of a good source of other vegetation that's usable? I need live trees for contrast reasons... you'll see.
Hexen has a few trees and bushes that should fit right in. If that's not enough you could try looking for sprite rips from Daggerfall.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

Even better, Ultima Underworld is probably perfect.

Also it's really weird seeing how many people have recently crawled out of the woodwork who seem to be allergic to good level design in Doom and make up for it with overpowered gameplay mods. Against Thee Wickedly is great, with some really fun leap of faith situations. And don't extinguish any fun in TNT Evilution let alone Plutonia or the Master Levels with Project Brutality. Wow.

@Keiya: If you just want textures, not things, there's live tree walls in Plutonia I think.

I've got a better suggestion. Play Doom however you want because Doom owns.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Arivia posted:

And don't extinguish any fun in TNT Evilution let alone Plutonia or the Master Levels with Project Brutality. Wow.

As someone who enjoyed E1-3 and DooM 2, I didn't really enjoy TnT and Plutonia vanilla, but did with mods. So...? :shrug:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

project brutality tends to make things even harder, so it's not like people are somehow chumping them out with it, either

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Project Brutality is hilarious and I love it. But it's also exhausting to play ... which I think is the point. My aging brain can't handle the lights and noise so good.

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

Keiya posted:

Might be a dumb question but have you checked out Realm667's section yet?

http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/prop-stop-mainmenu-163-64831/vegetation-mainmenu-165-65318

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

CJacobs posted:

Oops. Well I'm not making any custom assets or anything for it so let's pretend that I am devoting those days to mapping instead and that's fair and not something I just made up

You don't have to make them. Hell, you could just grab 'em from a site like this. Obviously include them in the credits.

As for me, I'm using a few packs they got, plus this actually custom skybox since I didn't want to deal with the usual skybox options.

I guess the only thing left is to either pick Pyramid of Fear from Zombies Ate My Neighbors or Sandopolis Act 2 from Sonic and Knuckles for the level music. I wanted the former, but it doesn't feel as pyramid-y as Sandopoilis.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

The Kins posted:

[...] secondary fire takes a couple of seconds to, uh, "refill" it [...]

gently caress yeah.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
4 and a half hours of work so far according to my footage. Almost done laying out the level! :toot:

It's turning into a behemoth. :getin:

A couple very early level layout shots (still no lighting):

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 1, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Wamdoodle posted:

I've got a better suggestion. Play Doom however you want because Doom owns.

Play doom however you want just don't complain about level design when it doesn't work with Random Mod X.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's turning into a behemoth. :getin:

4 and a half hours of work so far according to my footage. Almost done laying out the level! :toot:

Oh nice! You probably already doing this but are you keeping backups? I'd hate for something to happen to your progress :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh nice! You probably already doing this but are you keeping backups? I'd hate for something to happen to your progress :stare:

Doom Builder keeps 3 automatic backups of your 3 previous saves, so I've been relying on those instead of doing manual ones. It probably would be a good idea to do so when I make major progress though. When I was making my first map I screwed everything up to hell and back by switching map formats, so Doom Builder's backups were helpful for un-loving my map.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I use PB for some extra challenge, because for the most part it does make things harder. I have only used it for retail doom wads so far, so no worries about me screwing up someone's custom level. As for hilariously overpowered mods, that's what I use Russian Overkill for.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any recommended Doom (and maybe Quake) level editors for OS X?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Y'all, Nam is $1 at Retroism. http://retroism.com/nam/

It's at least worth that much.