Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lork posted:

Most of my experience is from playing multiplayer maps a decade ago, but rest assured I've seen some things. It's all thanks to Bungie and/or Gearbox's incredibly bizarre file format wherein all of the gameplay, texture and model data is redundantly stored inside each individual map file, which means every single custom map can be its own mod, should it choose to be. I got my hands on a massive (for the time) multi-gigabyte map pack and shared it with a group of friends who would throw LAN parties every month or so. One of our favorite activities was to go down the list of these maps one by one and just see what kind of crazy poo poo we'd find. And a veritable grab bag of crazy poo poo it was. We found all manner of different weapons and vehicles ranging in quality from hilariously bad to professional quality (usually recreations of stuff from E3 footage for whatever the latest Halo sequel was at the time the map was made). The one that sticks out the most in my memory is Coldsnap, a gigantic Battlefield style CTF map with a huge array of custom vehicles, including a massive quadruped mech and a space ship that could launch a nuke. There didn't seem to be much in the way of singleplayer maps at the time because I think it wasn't supported by the official tools and was hacked in later. I stopped paying attention to the Halo PC scene between then and now, however...

The last time somebody mentioned SPV3 in this thread I took another look, and I found this UI replacement that basically acts as a portal to select any singleplayer map the community has produced that is at least a little bit better than my_first_map.wad, though you still have to download them yourself. I downloaded as many of them as I could find, with the intention of starting at the top and trying out all of them, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. :effort: It looks like the most prominent ones are The Silent Cartographer: Evolved, a remake of the level that is widely considered to be the high point of Halo by many of the same people who worked on SPV3, with even more far reaching changes that I guess were too extreme for the main mod, and Project Lumoria, a 4 part series of original maps that I don't know much about.

That's crazy and awesome. Imagine what might have been if Halo had been released as a PC title that encouraged modding like Quake or Half Life did. My only experience with PC Halo was downloading it for the sole purpose of attempting to re-create Blood Gulch in the Worldcraft/Hammer editor when I was a pre-teen; needless to say I never got very far on that.

In unrelated news I'm finally buying the Quake collection on Steam because it's shameful that I don't own it yet and I've been missing out on custom Quake maps & mods for way too long...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHmNaB1iMw

Valve :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Wow. Also just a reminder of this, as I shared it with some people earlier much to their amusement.

Doug Huggem. :3:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 26, 2016

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

my bony fealty posted:

That's crazy and awesome. Imagine what might have been if Halo had been released as a PC title that encouraged modding like Quake or Half Life did.
It actually kind of did with the release of Halo: Custom Edition, although it came pretty late, about a year after the PC port was first released and over 2 years after the game originally came out in the first place. I think by that time the PC community had long since turned a blind eye due to anger over the "betrayal" and other assorted console warrior politicking. Of course, Halo is massively popular on its own, so a decently sized community still managed form around CE, but one completely disconnected from the modding community we know. It kind of gives off an "Outsider art" vibe that is pretty interesting to me at least.

Lork fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 27, 2016

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Thyrork posted:

Just a reminder of this, as I shared it with some people earlier much to their amusement.

A snarling Jon St. John saying "Can I get a good ol' Christian side-hug" has to be one of the funniest things I've seen all year.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Tell me about Dark Forces 1 mods, please? :shrug:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Klaus88 posted:

I remember one cool custom level had some sort of TIE Defender base and the guy had somehow exported the TIE model out of the TIE-Fighter game into Dark Forces. My little 12 year old brain thought that was so cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lork posted:

Bungie and/or Gearbox's incredibly bizarre file format wherein all of the gameplay, texture and model data is redundantly stored inside each individual map

:eng101: This is an optimization meant for games pressed onto optical disks. Seeks are much more expensive there than on hard drives, so you gain quite a bit of performance by being able to read all game data needed for the level in a single pass and then interpreting it in RAM (or just using the exact bytes that came off disk as your gameworld structure, which you can get away with on a fixed platform). They paid to manufacture the whole 9GB and it's not rewritable anyway so you may as well fill it up with something that helps the game.

I guess changing that setup for the PC port was felt to be more trouble than it was worth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Klaus88 posted:

Hopefully, most should be here, but the site had to be restored from backups some time ago so some might be missing.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Played a bit more Quake and I've really started to like it. The grenade launcher is super satisfying.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Wow. Also just a reminder of this, as I shared it with some people earlier much to their amusement.

This skit owns but honestly the funniest thing to me is the weird noise that happens when Rocco summons the skit

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
DOPA was dope. Any other good, functional Quake map set? I've tried AD and wasn't really impressed by the gameplay.
- One map begins with zombies and no gibbing weapons, while a Hexen II goat wizard is making pain elemental noises and spamming lost souls
- Another map begins with a tram ride, but the there's a forcefield that can't be deactivated no matter how
- The third map I've tried I got stuck on a island with a gold-locked door and the gold key is flying some distance away over lava, with no way to go back to where I was before or to reach the key without dying halfway in, and I didn't want to start over from the beginning because there were rear end in a top hat wizards spamming spiders everywhere which I don't want to fight again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross posting from the retro gaming thread but still relevant.

I'm still having a good time shooting my way through WWII Medal of Honor games, OG MoH is done and I'm a third of the way through MoH Underground (also on PS1).

Underground is neat because it takes the gameplay from the first game and expands on it with better level design and more entertaining enemy encounters, you get the sense that the developers are more sure-footed in the game engine so they're able to better hide engine limitations like poor draw distances or enemy AI issues.

Incidentally the player character in Underground is based on a real French Resistance agent, which is pretty neat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bullfrog posted:

Played a bit more Quake and I've really started to like it. The grenade launcher is super satisfying.

the quake grenade launcher is the perfect videogame grenade launcher

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Cat Mattress posted:

DOPA was dope. Any other good, functional Quake map set? I've tried AD and wasn't really impressed by the gameplay.
- One map begins with zombies and no gibbing weapons, while a Hexen II goat wizard is making pain elemental noises and spamming lost souls

Is there a blood axe? You can gib with that.

quote:

- Another map begins with a tram ride, but the there's a forcefield that can't be deactivated no matter how

Pretty sure you jump out and break a vent or something.

Play Foggybottom that's the best AD map IMO.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Cat Mattress posted:

- The third map I've tried I got stuck on a island with a gold-locked door and the gold key is flying some distance away over lava, with no way to go back to where I was before or to reach the key without dying halfway in, and I didn't want to start over from the beginning because there were rear end in a top hat wizards spamming spiders everywhere which I don't want to fight again.

DOPA made me desire more good single player maps too. The original quake expansions never really did it for me, I don't know why. They felt cheap in the way DOPA wasn't.

Anything else as good as DOPA?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Alright folks, quick break from shooters to check on sneakers. I'm making an effort to finally beat Thief: Deadly Shadows. My first effort was stymied by frame-rate issues causing Abysmal Gale to be literally unbeatable (I couldn't mount the ladder to exit). I've now got the Sneaky Upgrade installed, so that should be that issue fixed. The problem is that now Garrett moves to the right any time I press the jump, walk (run, actually, since I have that tweak enabled), or creep. Any ideas what the hell could be causing this? And on that topic, what are y'alls preferred configs for Sneaky Tweaker, for anyone who's actually gone through the game with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCleYTBVU0o

It's 2 AM and I can't sleep so I'm learning how to make hub levels and scripts that interact with other maps. I feel like I have harnessed the power of the atom

edit: Going to be using this knowledge for a level set with a science facility type hub that looks kinda like a real huge oil drum in shape. Doomguy has to go to various other parts of the facility and flood the main chamber with nukage so he can ascend to the top and get out, because the elevator is busted. It'll be fun to learn how to do scripts upon scripts for same-tagged areas!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 27, 2016

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Cat Mattress posted:

Others above have given AD advice, so I'll skip that. Going on the assumption that you prefer more vanilla-style Quake stuff: FYI you can avoid mods in the Quaddicted map list by avoiding the light-colored rows. Most multi-map sets have some sort of mod though. You might be best served to instead avoid a few particular tags like "arcanedimensions", "quoth", "drake", or "horde" and maybe give extra attention to stuff that has the "classic" tag (although often that just seems to indicate "old" and not necessarily "vanilla").

It's hard to make a few recommendations, since there's so much good stuff out there. Beyond Belief is the typical old-school recommendation for a vanilla-like episode, although it is modded a bit. czg03 is just a single map but one of my favorites in the Necropolis kind of vein ... really almost anything by czg is good without being wacky. Maps by negke, than, and vondur too (maybe skipping Quoth-related stuff if you dislike that). I'd usually recommend sock and mfx too but if you dislike AD then maybe not those guys!

(The guy who did DOPA, J. F. Gustafsson, has several other maps under his belt too. I don't remember trying most of those, but IIRC I had fun with qblack.)

e: I almost hate mentioning specific map authors because I keep remembering more to mention. In this case it's an interesting challenge tho to try to think of ones that have more "classic" output. Some deeper cuts would dig up elek, damaul, and metlslime too.

Maybe just start with czg03, Beyond Belief, and (for its DOPA connection) qblack.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 27, 2016

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

:eng101: This is an optimization meant for games pressed onto optical disks. Seeks are much more expensive there than on hard drives, so you gain quite a bit of performance by being able to read all game data needed for the level in a single pass and then interpreting it in RAM (or just using the exact bytes that came off disk as your gameworld structure, which you can get away with on a fixed platform). They paid to manufacture the whole 9GB and it's not rewritable anyway so you may as well fill it up with something that helps the game.

I guess changing that setup for the PC port was felt to be more trouble than it was worth.
I think Max Payne 3 was set up like this as well, because Rockstar had to wrangle a engine made for open-world stuff into a linear SP format. I guess that explained its massive file size for the time.

quote:

edit: Going to be using this knowledge for a level set with a science facility type hub that looks kinda like a real huge oil drum in shape. Doomguy has to go to various other parts of the facility and flood the main chamber with nukage so he can ascend to the top and get out, because the elevator is busted. It'll be fun to learn how to do scripts upon scripts for same-tagged areas!
hub maps are really drat cool, it's a shame they're not attempted more often.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

Go hunting through my old posts. A month or so ago I posted a good list of them. You should also start with this list. https://web.archive.org/web/20141205054612/http://www.df-21.net/halloffame/

And assassinate vader, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Reminder: everyone buy Monolith's best ever FPS: http://store.steampowered.com/app/327740/

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Reminder: everyone buy Monolith's best ever FPS: http://store.steampowered.com/app/327740/
Shogo wants to have a few words with you. :colbert:

mystic pimp fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 27, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lemon-Lime posted:

Seconding this, Tron2.0 totally owns and everyone should play it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mystic pimp posted:

Shogo wants to have a few words with you. :colbert:

Both of you are wrong. Why is that not a link to FEAR?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

Both of you are wrong. Why is that not a link to FEAR?

Because FEAR isn't Tron 2.0, the best FPS Monolith ever made.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Sorry, Blood is clearly the superior game

Furthermore :goonsay:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
How do you run custom maps like DOPA with Quakespasm?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

khwarezm posted:

How do you run custom maps like DOPA with Quakespasm?

Make a folder called "dopa" in your Quakespasm folder and put everything in there. Run it with "quakespasm -game dopa", or just use the command "game dopa" in the console.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Note: when you type 'game dopa' the background will change to a blank default quake1 background, and the menu will come up. You still need to say 'start game' -- it doesn't automatically start or something.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-27-the-truth-about-dooms-protip-meme

Linguica was behind it all along

It's even referenced in the new Doom, grats on being a permanent feature in Doom lore!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's even referenced in the new Doom, grats on being a permanent feature in Doom lore!
Ha, and they're using the thread I started on DW a few years ago as a source. This amuses me for some reason.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Linguica is behind the best stuff in Doom. The selfie wad, @doom_txt, this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Out of all the times I've seen that image I'm only just now realizing the rocket marks on the walls: a feature not found at all in vanilla Doom releases :doh:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Blood, Shogo, Tron 2.0, FEAR, and the No One Lives Forever series.

One hell of a record.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I absolutely adore Monolith. Even Gotham City Impostors was a solid TF2-like. The only FPS that Monolith made that I can say I didn't like was the expansion for FEAR 2.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

KozmoNaut posted:

Make a folder called "dopa" in your Quakespasm folder and put everything in there. Run it with "quakespasm -game dopa", or just use the command "game dopa" in the console.

Thank you, will that also work for stuff like Arcane Dimensions?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

khwarezm posted:

With AD you have to set some other parameter, heapsize I think, because some of the maps are enormous. The readme tells you exactly what it is though

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Works for all mod-like extra content, except the official expansion packs.

At least in vanilla WinQuake/GLQuake you have to start it as winquake.exe -hipnotic -game hipnotic for Scourge of Armagon, and similar but with with "rogue" instead of "hipnotic" for Dissolution of Eternity. I assume this is because they need to use some engine modifications in one way or another.
If you're viewing the original SdS speedrun you'd also start that as winquake.exe -hipnotic -game sds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Lemon-Lime posted:

TRON 2.0 is corny as hell, but it is a better sequel than that movie was.