Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Copper Vein posted:

Does the Alt Weapons Pak for Quake not work if your Quake folder has un-packed Pak0 and Pak1 files?

If you're trying to have some modified bits of content that replace other bits of content, be aware of how Quake prioritizes stuff:

* Quake has the name of a file it wants to get content from, let's say a texture or a model, and it will go looking for it.

* Quake will look in “id1” first, then look in the “qw” folder if it is a QuakeWorld engine, then finally look in the folder indicated by the “-game” command-line option (if any).

* Within a given folder, Quake will look at loose/unpackaged files first, and then look inside “.pak” files (and “.pk3” files if the engine supports that).
“.pak” or “.pk3” files are examined in alphabetical order.

* The last matching file that it finds is the one that it uses.

It doesn't sound like your situation would cause a problem, but maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

e: vvvv KozmoNaut is probably on to something. If you've removed your pak0 and pak1 files, you need to rename any other pak files in there. Quake always starts with pak0, reads in numerical sequence, and stops at the first missing pak file.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Copper Vein posted:

Does the Alt Weapons Pak for Quake not work if your Quake folder has un-packed Pak0 and Pak1 files? I couldn't get the Alt-Weap pak to work when it was originally posted, and it still doesn't work with the Easy Quake Zip that Dominic White recently posted.

I've been drag'n'dropping some old ID1 folder around from god knows where, but maybe I'll have to unearth my retail Quake CD and pull the vanilla Pak files off just to be sure.

I think it needs to be named sequentially, so for instance I have pak0.pak and pak1.pak in my id1 directory. The alt weapons pack only works if I name it pak2.pak and put it in the id1 folder.

I had the same issue with the improved shambler model, too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

* Within a given folder, Quake will look at loose/unpackaged files first, and then look inside “.pak” files (and “.pk3” files if the engine supports that).
“.pak” or “.pk3” files are examined in alphabetical order.

Aren't unpacked files examined last? So you can easily override stuff in the pak file without having to pack it down, while developing etc.

Because if that's the case, then having the base game unpacked, and a weapon model override mod as a pak file next to that, the base files will override the mod.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

nielsm posted:

Aren't unpacked files examined last?

Don't think so nope. I did a quick check of the code just now and I think I'm remembering it correctly. Also, the original reason I found out about this was from a situation where an autoexec.cfg included in a pak file was taking precedence over my "loose"/unpacked autoexec.cfg.

The usual/easiest way to override content is to put it in a mod folder instead of in id1.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Thanks for the input. I found the .paks in an old install and that cleared everything up; it was most likely the file numbering. The new models aren't to my taste though.

I'm gearing up to play through Dopa, with White's easyquake.zip Quakespasm install, and I noticed that with the default settings that the .zip uses for transparencies, I can't see models when they are on the other side of a transparent layer. So I couldn't see and enemy who was underwater even if the water is set to transparent. How do I fix this this?

I have limited memory of r_novis and the like from the GLquake days, but I don't know if that applies directly to Quakspasm.

I also remember dicking around for hours in and old Darkplaces install to get the water to be both transparent and reflective to adjustable amounts. At the time I found this to drop FPS too much even in default maps, but that was several GPUs ago. Can I achieve a similar result in Quakespasm?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Rubicon Rumble Pack's hugeass maps lag like balls on my PC with Quakespasm (6 year old notebook, mind you). Is there a faster alternative?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

to me it seemed like the remix only started to sound like System Shock in the last 30 seconds. The first 20 minutes just seemed too loud, too tinny, and did not seem horror inspired. The problem I foresee with it being "too loud" is that it won't be an ambient soundtrack anymore, I can't imagine an intro like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID2BEXJ4IKc with something like what the remix sounds like, it's now too distracting.

I could say the same about the rest of the soundtrack for System Shock, because I much preferred it to SS2, in SS2 it was a lot more in your face whereas in SS it felt more ambient and intrusive, especially in later parts like Engineering. Of course what I really will be bummed out is if they change the tacky elevator music

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, I'm not really digging the theme remix. Standalone, it's okay, but in the context of it being used in lieu of the original for a remake, it's way too in-your-face with the percussion. Of course, I'll need to see how they intend to fit it into the intro to be absolutely certain...

Cat Mattress posted:

I think D2TWID's MAP33 is much better than D2's MAP33.
So we're taking a Ben Judd-esque "better than nothing" approach to this, then?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aces High posted:

to me it seemed like the remix only started to sound like System Shock in the last 30 seconds. The first 20 minutes just seemed too loud, too tinny, and did not seem horror inspired. The problem I foresee with it being "too loud" is that it won't be an ambient soundtrack anymore, I can't imagine an intro like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID2BEXJ4IKc with something like what the remix sounds like, it's now too distracting.

I could say the same about the rest of the soundtrack for System Shock, because I much preferred it to SS2, in SS2 it was a lot more in your face whereas in SS it felt more ambient and intrusive, especially in later parts like Engineering. Of course what I really will be bummed out is if they change the tacky elevator music

The elevator music's a dealbreaker for me. No cheesy muzak in the elevators, no sale. :colbert:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Then I guess Intercepter faithfully remade the encounter in RotT 2013 because it was some serious loving bullshit.

Original NME was fun and tense. 2013 NME was just a spam-fest, with you as the victim.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There are a few promising (or backpedaling?) official comments regarding music on the SS Kickstarter page:

quote:

Don't you worry. Part of that audio budget is going toward a modular synth setup for more of these synthetic cyberpunky elements in the game. There will definitely be a stronger balance than in the demo between the dramatic/emotional strengths of acoustic instruments and the cyberpunk and techy elements of synthetic design. :)

quote:

I have been pushing for an optional mode with a procedurally-based layering version of the remixed soundtrack if we hit that point, but the question really comes down to, at that point, the coding support and if we have the resources/bandwidth to make that happen from an engine perspective.

quote:

the score is intended to be a hybrid between electronic cyberpunk elements and traditional dramatic/horror orchestral elements. :)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Negrostrike posted:

Rubicon Rumble Pack's hugeass maps lag like balls on my PC with Quakespasm (6 year old notebook, mind you). Is there a faster alternative?

What kind of graphics hardware you got in there?

One alternative that can still run bsp2 maps (and looks similar to Quakespasm) is Fitzquake Mark V. Between these couple of zipfiles here you'll have executables with a GL renderer, software renderer, and DirectX renderer to choose from:

http://quakeone.com/proquake/interims/mark_v_20160207_windows.zip
http://quakeone.com/proquake/interims/mark_v_20160207_directx.zip

One of those might do you better.

e: also, if you're not using a recent version of Quakespasm (0.90 or later), you could try upgrading. It had some performance fixes.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 29, 2016

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Copper Vein posted:

I'm gearing up to play through Dopa, with White's easyquake.zip Quakespasm install, and I noticed that with the default settings that the .zip uses for transparencies, I can't see models when they are on the other side of a transparent layer. So I couldn't see and enemy who was underwater even if the water is set to transparent. How do I fix this this?

I have limited memory of r_novis and the like from the GLquake days, but I don't know if that applies directly to Quakspasm.

I also remember dicking around for hours in and old Darkplaces install to get the water to be both transparent and reflective to adjustable amounts. At the time I found this to drop FPS too much even in default maps, but that was several GPUs ago. Can I achieve a similar result in Quakespasm?

If entities "disappear" when crossing a water boundary, that means that the maps were not originally created with transparent water in mind. In that case you might want to just set r_wateralpha to 1.0 turn off transparent water.

If however you want transparent water you have a couple of options:
  • You can re-compile the maps so that their visibility data accounts for transparent water. This is what we used to do back in the day harumph harumph. (If you remember "vispatch".)
  • Or, you can set r_novis to 1, to completely ignore visibility data. There's a performance hit to doing this, but on most normal-sized maps and normally-powered computers these days, this should be fine.

I'm not sure about water-reflectivity stuff. That might be specific to DarkPlaces.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I think it needs to be named sequentially, so for instance I have pak0.pak and pak1.pak in my id1 directory. The alt weapons pack only works if I name it pak2.pak and put it in the id1 folder.

I had the same issue with the improved shambler model, too.

So I tried that for the Alt Weapons Pack, and it did work. However, when I tried doing the same thing with the Quake 1.5 mod on Quakespasm, quake crashes. Does anyone have any tips on getting Quake 1.5 to work?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Johnny Law posted:

What kind of graphics hardware you got in there?

One alternative that can still run bsp2 maps (and looks similar to Quakespasm) is Fitzquake Mark V. Between these couple of zipfiles here you'll have executables with a GL renderer, software renderer, and DirectX renderer to choose from:

http://quakeone.com/proquake/interims/mark_v_20160207_windows.zip
http://quakeone.com/proquake/interims/mark_v_20160207_directx.zip

One of those might do you better.

e: also, if you're not using a recent version of Quakespasm (0.90 or later), you could try upgrading. It had some performance fixes.

Oh my god, the latest Quakespasm is sooooooo much faster than the version in EasyQuake. So is Fitzquake. Thanks a lot. RRP is playable now.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
One unit whole blood launcher and death wish don't like 64bit operating systems. :argh:

Where's that goddamned source port somebody teased at a while ago?! :qq:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Klaus88 posted:

One unit whole blood launcher and death wish don't like 64bit operating systems. :argh:

Where's that goddamned source port somebody teased at a while ago?! :qq:

I can't remember where I saw this so I'm talking out my butt but I believe the person who was working on it wanted to get other things out of the way because it's going to require reverse engineering Blood. Also I can confirm that the GoG version works on 64 bit Windows 10 at least.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just fired up Chasm: The Rift for the first time in years in DOSbox and it runs pretty drat slow. No way in hell am I running this in 640x480 like I did way back when :sigh:

Not that I have any intention of doing this because I'm not patient enough, but would using FreeDOS offer better performance than DOSbox? I have a feeling the answer is: "yes, if your hardware is supported and the game is compatible with it."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yo DOPA is real good. Turns out MachineGames knows how to make a good FPS!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
TerminX provided an update on his troubles with Gearbox:

TerminX posted:

OK, here's the deal. Our license to Duke Nukem 3D is invalid. It's not the fault of the current owners of 3D Realms, and, as it turns out, certainly not the fault of Gearbox. This leaves me completely up poo poo creek. BUT, even after the public feuding, Gearbox has found something for me to do and they are going to be helping me out, as is 3DR.

As far as Hail to the King Collection goes, there's not much more I can say other than that it's on hold at 90-something% completion. Gearbox isn't currently interested in the product and they aren't obligated to be. At this point, I'm just glad they're willing to work with me again. I'm going to do my best to change their minds on it as I believe the market for such a product is much larger than they think it is, but for now it is what it is. I may just do a "soft" launch of the base port itself for a $1.99 price tag where you provide your own GRP.

So, to summarize:
  • Gearbox isn't evil and Randy isn't a huge rear end in a top hat.
  • The current owner of 3DR is a great guy.
  • I got completely shanghaied, but things will be alright.
Also, here, you guys might like this... it's the version of Grabbag I commissioned our very own Brandon Blume to produce, under my direction. I think he did a great job. The bass is pretty heavy as it was intended for phone speakers and cheap headphones, but I like it regardless. Enjoy.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

TerminX provided an update on his troubles with Gearbox:

TerminX wearing a grin, sweating bullets: "No guys, everything's fine!"

[Camera pulls back, reveals Pitchford holding a gun to TerminX's forehead]

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

As far as Hail to the King Collection goes, there's not much more I can say other than that it's on hold at 90-something% completion. Gearbox isn't currently interested in the product and they aren't obligated to be.

Everybody is obligated to be interested in Duke.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm interested in the PC port of HTTKC. Tell me when it happens.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That sounds like such bullshit, but I hope TerminX gets treated well.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
why does this read like a captured pilot's televised confession statement?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Because as far as the whole rights ownership situation, it is the less "bad" situation. We all know that Randy Pitchfork is an rear end in a top hat even if others say he isn't. We all know that Gearbox is even worse than EA but considering that we can't do a thing, Terminx is at least getting something to start with.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Because as far as the whole rights ownership situation, it is the less "bad" situation. We all know that Randy Pitchfork is an rear end in a top hat even if others say he isn't. We all know that Gearbox is even worse than EA but considering that we can't do a thing, Terminx is at least getting something to start with.

Gearbox has stage 4 terminal hemmoraging from Battleborn so there's justice in this universe.

ChickenHeart posted:

why does this read like a captured pilot's televised confession statement?

There might be a hidden message. Definitely getting morse-code-blinking-TORTURE vibes here. Here's all the capitals:

quote:

OKODNDIDRGTBUTGDR

AHKCIGAIIIIGRP

S
GR
TDR
I
AGBBTIE

That first line sounds like an angry statement. "Okay, O [I?] don't did regret, but God Dammit Randy." TerminX doesn't regret going through this situation but is clearly annoyed with Pitchford.

AHKCIGAIIIIGRP could easily be the death wail of someone shot, followed by choking on blood. Hail to the King Collection has met an untimely end, and TerminX knows it.

no idea what those other letters are

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Battleborn tanking is one of my highlights of the gaming year. gently caress you Pitchford.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

TerminX wearing a grin, sweating bullets: "No guys, everything's fine!"

[Camera pulls back, reveals Pitchford holding a gun to TerminX's forehead]

I still pretty clearly remember the "It was OUR decision to pull the plug on Duke Reloaded! Gearbox is great and supportive, guys!" line 3D Realm/Interceptor gave after Gearbox beat them in court, completely out of nowhere and apropos of nothing.

Frankly, I don't trust Gearbox as far as I can throw them, and throwing corporate buildings with staff inside doesn't get a whole lot of distance in the first place. Here's to hoping that TerminX gets treated well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

closeted republican posted:

Battleborn tanking is one of my highlights of the gaming year. gently caress you Pitchford.

Glad I'm not the only one who got some pretty substantial schadenfreude out of Battleborn crashing and burning.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who got some pretty substantial schadenfreude out of Battleborn crashing and burning.

Battleborn is already down to sub-1000 players on Steam at any given time. It's been only about 2 months and it's already nearly dead.

To put it into perspective, more people are playing Payday 1, Serious Sam 3, or Black Ops 1 than Battleborn at any given time.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 30, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

:stonk: Jesus, at this point, I'd be fine with the drat thing going full freeware. I mean, if it really is legal troubles, then releasing it as freeware circumvents all of that riiiiiight?

Though this is Gearbox, makers of Duke Nukem Forever and Battleborn, so for all we know Pitchfork could be putting a gun to TerminX's head.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alabaster White posted:

Battleborn is already down to sub-1000 players on Steam at any given time. It's been only about 2 months and it's already nearly dead.

To put it into perspective, more people are playing Payday 1, Serious Sam 3, or Black Ops 1 than Battleborn at any given time.

Keep going, I'm almost there :flashfap:

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

widespread posted:

:stonk: Jesus, at this point, I'd be fine with the drat thing going full freeware. I mean, if it really is legal troubles, then releasing it as freeware circumvents all of that riiiiiight?

It wouldn't affect anything at this point. Copyright law doesn't change based on whether or not you're selling something, it only affects how likely infringements are to actually be noticed and enforced by the rightsholders.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm only glad Battleborn is tanking because that along with Borderlands 2 has the most retarded liberal hippy bullshit 'humour' that's about as funny as terminal cancer. In later expansions and Battleborn they absolutely crammed it down our throats. I don't know who the writer was/were but they clearly thought very highly of themselves.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Liberal hippie bullshit humour?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Samuel Clemens posted:

Liberal hippie bullshit humour?

Yeah, I guess when there are some memes thrown in, plus general goofiness, it's automatically a liberal thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm only glad Battleborn is tanking because that along with Borderlands 2 has the most retarded liberal hippy bullshit 'humour' that's about as funny as terminal cancer. In later expansions and Battleborn they absolutely crammed it down our throats. I don't know who the writer was/were but they clearly thought very highly of themselves.
I'm more of pissed that Gearbox totally buttfucked Aliens Colonial Marines and funneled money from that project to fund Borderlands2, and then totally lied about it to the point that Sega took notice and came within a hair's breadth of outright canceling Colonial Marines over it.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Doom update adds old-school gun placement later this week

PCGamer posted:

...a new option to place your weapon in the center of the screen, just like back in the good old days.
:circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Alabaster White posted:

Recently I've been playing a lot of Enter the Gungeon, a 2d bullet-hell/twin-stick shooter roguelike that's the first release of some indie studio. It was released back in April and only had a 20% discount in the sale.

Current players? 1535.

I've also been playing Age of Empires 2, a crusty old RTS first released in 1999 and which was put on steam about three years ago, the steam version is notorious for its lag and glitches as well and the last update was a new expansion last year. It is on a huge discount at the moment I must admit and only costs 3 euro.

Current players? 10,226.

Battleborn, a massive new AAA shooter that combines the popular genres of FPS and MOBAs brought to you by the people who made the popular Borderlands series, published by 2K, released in May of this year and currently a steal at 50% off!

Current players? 745.

Oof, Oof.