Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I feel like the 30-day "gain" is also worth showing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Didn't Battleborn also launch against Overwatch? That's some good poo poo guys.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Add me as one of the guys that wanted Battleborn to tank just because of Pitchfork. Not only because of all the Duke Nukem fuckery (or how they released DNF), but because what they did with Aliens: Colonial Marines. I REALLY wanted a good aliens game and they had the rights, the money and all to make a good one. But they had to outsource it and holy loving christ, gently caress them, they're scum.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RyokoTK posted:

Didn't Battleborn also launch against Overwatch? That's some good poo poo guys.

If I remember right, Battleborn launched on the same day as Overwatch's beta, and then Battleborn had a significant price drop on Overwatch's release date.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guillermus posted:

Add me as one of the guys that wanted Battleborn to tank just because of Pitchfork

I agree, Brent DiCrescenzo gave the game like a 9.2 and it made me want to hate it out of spite.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

Oh my god, the latest Quakespasm is sooooooo much faster than the version in EasyQuake. So is Fitzquake. Thanks a lot. RRP is playable now.

EZQuake is a QuakeWorld client, don't use it for single player.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Add me as one of the guys that wanted Battleborn to tank just because of Pitchfork. Not only because of all the Duke Nukem fuckery (or how they released DNF), but because what they did with Aliens: Colonial Marines. I REALLY wanted a good aliens game and they had the rights, the money and all to make a good one. But they had to outsource it and holy loving christ, gently caress them, they're scum.

The issue is that they spent the money they were meant to use for ACM on Borderlands 2 and also killed the studio they tried to outsource the game to, not that they outsourced it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Woolie Wool posted:

Oh, so if we wanted multi, go for EZQuake?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Woolie Wool posted:

"EasyQuake" is the Quakespasm package that DWhite put up for download earlier in the thread. Not the same as ezQuake, although yes potentially confusing. :-)

widespread posted:

Oh, so if we wanted multi, go for EZQuake?

For QuakeWorld yah. There's also still a group of folks (mainly North American) who use NetQuake.

QuakeWorld clients are typically either ezQuake (sometimes installed using the nQuake package) or Fodquake (sometimes installed using the classicQ package). Those packages have pre-bundled configurations and player skins and whatnot... nQuake is particularly focussed on "modern QuakeWorld" (so stuff like brightskins, a new HUD, team communication binds, etc.) while classicQ has more emphasis on making things look oldschool. I haven't used classicQ yet but judging from the docs it still seems to pay attention to stuff like team binds and qtv, so maybe the only "retro" thing about it is its visual presentation. Regardless, ezQuake and Fodquake can both be set up fine without using those packages, if you want to get more hands-on.

One caveat about nQuake: ezQuake has recently had a newer official release that players are encouraged to use, and I don't think the nQuake package has picked up the new version yet. Not sure. (e: verified that yeah nQuake still installs the older ezQuake 2.x instead of 3.x)

For NetQuake people tend to use ProQuake I think. Maybe also Qrack or DarkPlaces for guys who like more texture-replacements and special effects.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 30, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Recently I've been playing a lot of Enter the Gungeon, a 2d bullet-hell/twin-stick shooter roguelike that's the first release of some indie studio. It was released back in April and only had a 20% discount in the sale.

Current players? 1535.

I've also been playing Age of Empires 2, a crusty old RTS first released in 1999 and which was put on steam about three years ago, the steam version is notorious for its lag and glitches as well and the last update was a new expansion last year. It is on a huge discount at the moment I must admit and only costs 3 euro.

Current players? 10,226.

Battleborn, a massive new AAA shooter that combines the popular genres of FPS and MOBAs brought to you by the people who made the popular Borderlands series, published by 2K, released in May of this year and currently a steal at 50% off!

Current players? 745.

Oof, Oof.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

khwarezm posted:

Recently I've been playing a lot of Enter the Gungeon, a 2d bullet-hell/twin-stick shooter roguelike that's the first release of some indie studio. It was released back in April and only had a 20% discount in the sale.

Current players? 1535.

I've also been playing Age of Empires 2, a crusty old RTS first released in 1999 and which was put on steam about three years ago, the steam version is notorious for its lag and glitches as well and the last update was a new expansion last year. It is on a huge discount at the moment I must admit and only costs 3 euro.

Current players? 10,226.

Battleborn, a massive new AAA shooter that combines the popular genres of FPS and MOBAs brought to you by the people who made the popular Borderlands series, published by 2K, released in May of this year and currently a steal at 50% off!

Current players? 745.

Oof, Oof.

What the gently caress is wrong with Gearbox.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I finally uninstalled the Borderlands Pre-Sequel after being on my hard drive for over a year because I got so bored like halfway into the game that I kept trying to make new characters to see if maybe poo poo just wasn't clicking with the class I was on until I realized that I find Borderlands' gameplay boring now.

That's my Gearbox story.

Oh yeah and I remember being pretty disappointed with Opposing Force in Half-Life. Gearbox story 2!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've enjoyed Borderlands and especially 2, OpForce was fine by me, but I don't really have much love for the company aside from that. Sucks that Pitchford can be a bad decision-making douche, but mostly sucks for all of the employees who will really be feeling the failure of Battleborn.

Guys, just make Borderlands 3.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jeeves posted:

I finally uninstalled the Borderlands Pre-Sequel after being on my hard drive for over a year because I got so bored like halfway into the game that I kept trying to make new characters to see if maybe poo poo just wasn't clicking with the class I was on until I realized that I find Borderlands' gameplay boring now.

That's my Gearbox story.

Oh yeah and I remember being pretty disappointed with Opposing Force in Half-Life. Gearbox story 2!

I liked OpFor quite a bit (even if the final boss was a wet fart) and the Brothers in Arms games are basically Band of Brothers: The Videogame and they're loving excellent, but I can't stand loot shooters so I steered clear of Borderlands and Colonial Marines was a clusterfuck (although I will defend certain aspects of it, like the art direction, level design, and weapon design, and that one CGI trailer that used the soundtrack from 'Moon' was rad as hell).
I even got moderate enjoyment out of Duke Nukem Forever after buying it for $5. It had serious identity crisis issues, but it was certainly playable and for $5 I had a good enough time.

Well that's my Gearbox story.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Borderlands 2 is atrocious as a single player game. Not balanced at all for it, whatsoever.

And I say that as someone who occasionally played Left 4 Dead single player.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Samuel Clemens posted:

Liberal hippie bullshit humour?

I've never played either game but I'm going to hazard a guess that it's the thing where "liberal", "hippie", and "communist" all mean "things I don't like"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gonna guess bland inoffensive memey jokes

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Pre-Sequel features a character screaming "FRIENDZONED!!!" after getting denied by a woman, which would be bad enough if it weren't for the line immediately after, which is him profusely apologizing for using the word and explaining that he understands women don't owe him sex.

Borderlands' writers are the kind of people who think Brian Griffin is too subtle.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well that's more like bigot liberal-hater fedora libertarian humor, isn't it

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Segmentation Fault posted:

Pre-Sequel features a character screaming "FRIENDZONED!!!" after getting denied by a woman, which would be bad enough if it weren't for the line immediately after, which is him profusely apologizing for using the word and explaining that he understands women don't owe him sex.

Borderlands' writers are the kind of people who think Brian Griffin is too subtle.
haha yeah I remember when the gamergate crowd got really upset over that specific thing too

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Borderlands has real lovely writing, but it's also not an early fps game

Slowly chewing my way through the stuff I grabbed from the cacowards, it's interesting basically playing through Doom modding's history year by year.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Quake 1 custom map trip report:

Started with honey, and drat is that a good set of maps and a fun little experience. I may have spoiled myself by playing some of the best first.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

haha yeah I remember when the gamergate crowd got really upset over that specific thing too

have you considered that maybe people don't like the borderlands jokes not because they don't like the politics, but because they're incredibly unfunny? I agree with a lot of "TV's" Frank Conniff's politics but I find his humor to just be "boy, aren't conservatives STUPID???" ad nauseam, and it's that kind of Daily-Show-ripoff humor that is incredibly boring in tyool 2016

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The only Gearbox product I've ever played to completion was Opposing Force. However, I remember reading here on SA that Gearbox had major issues while developing it, and Valve had to step in and essentially complete it for them. I've never seen or read anything confirming it. Does anyone know if that's true or not?

I tried Borderlands 1 when it had a free weekend, and after the first hour or so, I found it to just be a boring, unfun slog. It's weird, because I went into thinking I would really like; that it would be a little like Fallout 3/New Vegas. It probably doesn't help that I'm not the biggest fan of Diablo-style loot systems.

That's my Gearbox story.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Linguica posted:

I've never played any of the Borderlands games but if I did and encountered that exchange of dialogue it would probably make me feel embarrassed in the same way an awkward guy at a dinner party would. Not amusement, not rage, just a case of the douche chills.

That is just one example, though, but I'm not sure how much my opinion matters when I'm one of those people that didn't enter a frothing rage when I encountered the benign Internet references in Guacamelee :shrug:

quote:

Opposing Force

I'm not sure why people give OF so much hell. I thought it was pretty good.

Also it had that pipe wrench weapon that would pulp pretty much anything when wound up enough.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 1, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I always think back to how Randy Pitchford gave an interview to some website where he told a convoluted story about how he "won" the name Gearbox Software from Gabe Newell in a poker game on a cruise ship or something, only for Valve to email the website to say "uhh that didn't happen" and for Randy to eventually confess to making it up without ever explaining why.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Borderlands 2 is atrocious as a single player game. Not balanced at all for it, whatsoever.

Oh oh oh, that reminds me, Battleborn is currently tangoing with L4D1's max player count on Steam; they're within 100 players of each other at peak hours. To put it into perspective, there is absolutely no reason to ever play L4D1 over 2: all of 1's content is in 2, 2 has Workshop support and way more content, not to mention mods to restore the few things changed from 1 to 2 back to 1's style, and 2 has been given out for free numerous times. Battleborn is slightly more successful than a game that's been dead and entirely obsolete for years.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 1, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I always think back to how Randy Pitchford gave an interview to some website where he told a convoluted story about how he "won" the name Gearbox Software from Gabe Newell in a poker game on a cruise ship or something, only for Valve to email the website to say "uhh that didn't happen" and for Randy to eventually confess to making it up without ever explaining why.

He's one of those types of people who has to make up stories to impress others. They're uncommon but they all suck.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure why people give OF so much hell. I thought it was pretty good.

Also it had that pipe wrench weapon that would pulp pretty much anything when wound up enough.

Opposing Force was pretty well received, wasn't it? I remembering liking it, though it's been a pretty long time since I've played it. Blue Force was the expansion that was considered to be pretty lousy.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

jeeves posted:

Started with honey, and drat is that a good set of maps and a fun little experience. I may have spoiled myself by playing some of the best first.

You chose... wisely.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

jeeves posted:

Check out the func_mapjam packs that were done recently. Pack 1 is all maps in the style of Honey, and Pack 2 are all Wizard/Arabian themed. The Arabian theme is a lot of fun in Quake.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Max Wilco posted:

Opposing Force was pretty well received, wasn't it? I remembering liking it, though it's been a pretty long time since I've played it. Blue Force was the expansion that was considered to be pretty lousy.

Oh, whoops. I'm probably getting things mixed up.

Anyway I finally beat ROTT: Dark War and I still say that I'm glad I gave it another chance. Episode 1 was kinda lovely, but the rest was pretty good. I'm not sure why everyone hates episode 4 so much because I thought it was OK, though certainly the weakest of the post-1 episodes. Use your explosives guys.

Maybe everyone here set the bar so low that I ended up playing something better than expected.

I will say that the last three maps are loving garbage though. The three -part final boss sequence sucked, especially if you don't know what you're doing when facing him the first time. The bullshit you have to go through to get the good ending is kind of ridiculous.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Mak0rz posted:

I've never played any of the Borderlands games but if I did and encountered that exchange of dialogue it would probably make me feel embarrassed in the same way an awkward guy at a dinner party would. Not amusement, not rage, just a case of the douche chills.

That is just one example, though, but I'm not sure how much my opinion matters when I'm one of those people that didn't enter a frothing rage when I encountered the benign Internet references in Guacamelee :shrug:
There's a difference between finding a joke unfunny and throwing a major conniption over it. 90% of the writing in Borderlands 2 and beyond is awkward and unfunny, so why are people going ballistic over this specific one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2ayWcJfxo

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's not any better with 4 players.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lork posted:

There's a difference between finding a joke unfunny and throwing a major conniption over it. 90% of the writing in Borderlands 2 and beyond is awkward and unfunny, so why are people going ballistic over this specific one?

It was the first example that came to mind because of how forced and awkward it was. Most of Pre-Sequel is forgettable, I just remember that and the announcer lady being forced to say monkeycheese poo poo at the hands of a claptrap. The friendzone joke had this whole air of self-congratulatoriness where the writers needed to assure themselves and you that no, they're not like most gamers, they're nice guys.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Segmentation Fault posted:

It was the first example that came to mind because of how forced and awkward it was. Most of Pre-Sequel is forgettable, I just remember that and the announcer lady being forced to say monkeycheese poo poo at the hands of a claptrap. The friendzone joke had this whole air of self-congratulatoriness where the writers needed to assure themselves and you that no, they're not like most gamers, they're nice guys.
Yeah I'm not going to say that isn't an example of phenomenally lovely writing. It's just that there's so much of that to go around where Borderlands is concerned, you know? I haven't played Pre Sequel, but politics were the least of Borderlands 2's problems. I'm not a professional funnyman so I wouldn't know where to begin in providing articulate critique of the game's humor, but I think the problems go way beyond any specific subject it covers. At some point during the Borderlands 2 Season Pass Suicide Pact my friends and I embarked on, I learned to stop paying attention to any of the specifics of what the characters were saying and treat it like an incredibly tedious game of mad libs.

[Thing that a normal person would find horrifying] happened? That's awesome!. Blah blah blah...

I don't know where I'm going with this, but Borderlands is poo poo.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I can tolerate Gearbox's terrible "le epic random jokez!" and extremely hamfisted moralizing if the gameplay is good, but BL2's gameplay was shite once you hit PT2. You had to grind for a new legendary every 3 or so levels because enemies get way too strong every time you enter a new part of a map. And, as insult to injury, the legendary drop rate is close to Korean MMO levels and it costs a shitload of money just to buy a single box of shotgun shells or whatever in a bad attempt at making money more useful throughout the game.

I got past the ice cave in PT2 and said "gently caress this game", then uninstalled. Never played the DLC.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The Kins posted:

TerminX provided an update on his troubles with Gearbox:

:stare:

Knowing that TX is knee deep in financial trouble, this sounds horrible. Jesus. GBX sure easily shitcanned HTTKC, I wonder what they are planning.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm only glad Battleborn is tanking because that along with Borderlands 2 has the most retarded liberal hippy bullshit 'humour' that's about as funny as terminal cancer. In later expansions and Battleborn they absolutely crammed it down our throats. I don't know who the writer was/were but they clearly thought very highly of themselves.

That would be Anthony Burch. It's also why his sister Ash has a bunch of VA roles (she is Tiny Tina)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

laserghost posted:

:stare:

Knowing that TX is knee deep in financial trouble, this sounds horrible. Jesus. GBX sure easily shitcanned HTTKC, I wonder what they are planning.

I think he said they were planning their own internally-developed re-release that would include a new episode, and that part of the reason they invited him to the offices the first time was because they wanted him to advise them on the port or something because they couldn't figure out how to do it on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think the only good writing to ever come out of the Borderlands franchise is Telltale's Tales of the Borderlands game. It still has the same politics but it doesn't try to beat you over the head with it constantly and is a lot more subtle and clever with it and the jokes are actually genuinely funny instead of "lol so random" humor that the main games are plagued with. The characters are also pretty endearing too in that game and not ridiculous one dimensional stereotypes and caricatures that Anthony Burch likes to write.