Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
It's not a quake mod and it's not running in a Nintendo 64 emulator. You're both blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mak0rz posted:

What? Why do you figure that?

It runs too smooth, like it's at 80 fps or something, which a 360 prototype would never be. And it's obviously stretched out from 4:3. It just screams bullshit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you guys can point out a HD texture pack that outright alters all the 3D models to look exactly like a bunch of leaked screenshots from 2008, I'd be more than interested in checking it out.

Lurdiak posted:

It runs too smooth, like it's at 80 fps or something, which a 360 prototype would never be. And it's obviously stretched out from 4:3. It just screams bullshit.
The Perfect Dark remake for XBLA, which was based off of this effort and included 3D models that are visible in this video for the Goldeneye weapons, was also hard-locked at 60fps.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

If you guys can point out a HD texture pack that outright alters all the 3D models to look exactly like a bunch of leaked screenshots from 2008, I'd be more than interested in checking it out.

Hey man, let me tell you about Brutal Doom.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Arivia posted:

Hey man, let me tell you about Brutal Doom.

gently caress that, I wanna play Brutal Goldeneye.

e: vv
Could be they didn't get the widescreen down pat with the framerate they wanted before the project was canned?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

daft punk railroad posted:

My money's on "N64 emulator w/ HD texture pack" since the entire video is also just stretched-out 4:3

If it were just textures I would expect that too, but there are also high-poly models and as far as I know you can't do that.

Lurdiak posted:

It runs too smooth, like it's at 80 fps or something, which a 360 prototype would never be.

Haha alright dude.

I certainly can't confirm its authenticity but there's no way in hell that's a Quake mod or Emulator footage. Calling it a prototype is pretty disingenuous because the game was a good 95% done or so before the project was canned.

I can't explain the stretched screen ratio though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think I'm the only person I know who legitimately enjoyed Goldeneye Reloaded for the 360.

First Wrack, now that... what game should I play next, Daikatana? :negative:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I'm the only person I know who legitimately enjoyed Goldeneye Reloaded for the 360.

First Wrack, now that... what game should I play next, Daikatana? :negative:

Mortyr.

Or NecrovisioN. It is legitimately an interesting FPS.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I can't explain the stretched screen ratio though.
The article posted by the guy who released the footage includes a screenshot of an Options Menu that has an aspect ratio option for 4:3/16:9/16:10, but the screenshots of the widescreen modes seem to look a little bugged.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I only played the demo and it was pretty good. I don't think it turned out bad at all and it was received pretty well by reviewers and players.

The problem with that version is that a lot of people were geared up for a 1:1 remake of the original except with Craig instead of Brosnan and it very clearly wasn't supposed to be that. If you play it without that expectation you'll probably enjoy it.

The Kins posted:

The article posted by the guy who released the footage includes a screenshot of an Options Menu that has an aspect ratio option for 4:3/16:9/16:10, but the screenshots of the widescreen modes seem to look a little bugged.

That actually makes a lot of sense, yeah.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 24, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mission Failed: Don't Double-Post

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

This is (alleged) footage of the unreleased ported version of Goldeneye for XBLA, circa 2008:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRuhviJGMQ

Very nice, but really, anyone who wants the same experience should really just pick up Perfect Dark; it really does everything GE did, and way more.

Nah, Goldeneye's better.

That Goldeneye remake's problem is that reusing the name set up way too many expectations. It's a perfectly good Bond shooter outside that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

fishmech posted:

That Goldeneye remake's problem is that reusing the name set up way too many expectations. It's a perfectly good Bond shooter outside that.

I don't think they were trying to make a good game, just a licensed cash-in, and they knew that calling it Goldeneye would sell copies. Same with that abysmal Rogue Agent game where they call it Goldeneye because he has a golden eye :rolleye:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This makes me wonder... does anyone know how copyright works for something like level design? I get not being able to re-use copyrighted audio and artwork/visuals, as well as names, but can (and has?) a level be restricted that way, too?

I'm assuming so, otherwise GE:Reloaded's 'Facility' could have been a faithful remake of the original.

Also, holy gently caress, do I love 'Archives'. I remember seeing a fake (?) screenshot before Perfect Dark was released with a level called 'Ark Hives', and was so pumped, and then it wasn't included :smith:

EDIT:

Wamdoodle posted:

I think that Rogue Agent was WAY more guilty of that. Goldeneye Reloaded wasn't terrible.

It was pretty much CoD but fully Goldeneye-themed. I haven't played many CoD games, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it as much as I did; I wasn't tired of that sort of gameplay 'flow'. Then again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. It's possible!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 24, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RyokoTK posted:

I don't think they were trying to make a good game, just a licensed cash-in, and they knew that calling it Goldeneye would sell copies. Same with that abysmal Rogue Agent game where they call it Goldeneye because he has a golden eye :rolleye:

I think that Rogue Agent was WAY more guilty of that. Goldeneye Reloaded wasn't terrible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It was pretty much CoD but fully Goldeneye-themed. I haven't played many CoD games, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it as much as I did; I wasn't tired of that sort of gameplay 'flow'. Then again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. It's possible!

Man there is no way you can call it fully Goldeneye themed. A good 2/3 of it was themed on Generic Modern Bond stuff. Again if they didn't call it Goldeneye the Goldeneye touches would have come off better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fishmech posted:

Man there is no way you can call it fully Goldeneye themed. A good 2/3 of it was themed on Generic Modern Bond stuff. Again if they didn't call it Goldeneye the Goldeneye touches would have come off better.

Sorry, yeah, I actually mean 'Bond' themed.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Don't be sadistic.

quote:

Or NecrovisioN. It is legitimately an interesting FPS.

Now this is a good reccomendation for an enjoyable bad game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

laserghost posted:

Don't be sadistic.

I thought the second one was considered the "better" of the two Re: Mortyr.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There are actually four Mortyr games, but the latter two were renamed for Western release as Battlestrike: Force of Resistance (being probably the first FPS to include war-torn Warsaw in one of the missions) and Operation Thunderstorm, respectably.

But actually there's another WW2 shooter made by Mortyr devs, and it reuses some of the assets and terrible design ideas (nearly constantly spawning enemies with one-hit kill Mauser rifles) and is even shoddier than the original, Wolfschanze 1944:

https://calaris.itch.io/wolfschanze-1944

It's absolutely one of the worst games ever made, and whenever people bitch about some mediocre game and call it the worst thing ever, I really want to show them this mess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9CVSxkoT0U

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

laserghost posted:

There are actually four Mortyr games, but the latter two were renamed for Western release as Battlestrike: Force of Resistance (being probably the first FPS to include war-torn Warsaw in one of the missions) and Operation Thunderstorm, respectably.

But actually there's another WW2 shooter made by Mortyr devs, and it reuses some of the assets and terrible design ideas (nearly constantly spawning enemies with one-hit kill Mauser rifles) and is even shoddier than the original, Wolfschanze 1944:

It's absolutely one of the worst games ever made, and whenever people bitch about some mediocre game and call it the worst thing ever, I really want to show them this mess:

Oh, I only new about the first two games and wow that video. I like that the kick is just a big green mass that pops up at first glance.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Re: Invisible War: never played it, but I do recall a point in 2010 where several GAF moderators consecutively made threads with lengthy opening posts illustrating why the game was a colossal disappointment, so I've always kind of associated the game with that.

Though I love its remix of the Deus Ex theme. I was really annoyed to learn Human Revolution didn't have that theme in the game, barring a verbatim rip of the original music module that apparently played after the credits. "Icarus" sounded like it could transition into it at any moment, probably in the exact same vein that Invisible War's theme did, but it never did. I wonder if Mankind Divided rectifies this any? I mean, it has a lot more references to the first Deus Ex, or at least has the one cutscene at the start of "Morning Always Comes Early" where Lucius DeBeers, Morgan Everett, Elizabeth DuClare, Stanton Dowd and Bob Page all show up, even if Bob Page is the only one who still sounds like his original incarnation (as with Human Revolution).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

Re: Invisible War: never played it, but I do recall a point in 2010 where several GAF moderators consecutively made threads with lengthy opening posts illustrating why the game was a colossal disappointment, so I've always kind of associated the game with that.

There were a whole lot of disappointing things about the game, even beyond being an inferior sequel to one of the most well-liked games of all time. Bad technology choices and bad solutions to legitimate game design issues with the original. It had a couple of good ideas but the fundamental problems never went away.

quote:

Though I love its remix of the Deus Ex theme. I was really annoyed to learn Human Revolution didn't have that theme in the game, barring a verbatim rip of the original music module that apparently played after the credits. "Icarus" sounded like it could transition into it at any moment, probably in the exact same vein that Invisible War's theme did, but it never did. I wonder if Mankind Divided rectifies this any?

Stolen from the PYF thread:

CJacobs posted:

I found a big mouth billy bass in DX:MD that plays classic Deus Ex music

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

RyokoTK posted:

I thought the story in Rogue Agent had something about Goldfinger trying to retrieve the remains of the GoldenEye satellite, but I just checked and it doesn't seem to be true. All this time I thought the title wasn't completely stupid, but it is.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

haveblue posted:

Stolen from the PYF thread:
Well, there's a fish, alright. Sounds more like the theme to Cannon Fodder than the theme to Deus Ex, but hell if I know from that video.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, there's a fish, alright. Sounds more like the theme to Cannon Fodder than the theme to Deus Ex, but hell if I know from that video.

That cannon fodder vid is mindblowingly good, hot drat

(I'll fire up Deus Ex MD soon! I hear a patch just hit today which is good)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is this the original what a shame video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DAPXMZk2iw

This is pretty much all I know about that game.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I always preferred this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On the other hand, I like how Linguica carefully cultivated a comments section of literally one comment repeated 4,050 times.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The beginning of that made me think of the Cathedral music from the first game.

Doesn't IW do some weird poo poo when you change a level? I have it on Steam because I wanted to get Human Revolution (which so far I've only played a little bit of, I need to rectify that, I liked what I did play) and it was cheaper to get the bundle with everything than it was to just get HR.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

catlord posted:

The beginning of that made me think of the Cathedral music from the first game.

Doesn't IW do some weird poo poo when you change a level?
Depending on your setup, it is prone to cease up on loading, either of maps or of the game as a whole — no cease up as in crash or lock, but as in it refuses to proceed until do you some chicken-waggling to get it going again.

It's one of many bugs the thing has that may or may not let you play it. There are various work-around and fan patches and the like that may increase your chances, but it's still very much down to luck how it will behave on any specific system.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Invisible War closes and then reopens the executable every time you transition to a new area. Which is a lot because the levels are so tiny. If you're on Windows 7 and below you can disable desktop composition so you aren't always booted to desktop briefly when this happens. Otherwise you are poo poo out of luck.

I also hear new versions of Chrome interfere with the game executable if it's running in the background. Somehow. God knows why that happens.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I believe someone modded Thief 3 to have most of the levels stitched together to get rid of a lot of the load screens.

Is this correct, or am I remembering wrong?

Also, Warren Spector left Invisible War to work on Thief3. Thief3 isn't the best Thief game just because it is being compared to loving Thief 1 and 2, but holy poo poo does his departure of one for the other definitely show in the final product.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

jeeves posted:

I believe someone modded Thief 3 to have most of the levels stitched together to get rid of a lot of the load screens.

You are not wrong. Thief 3 Gold http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143658
It only worked for a few missions before it would crash out on me though.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012

laserghost posted:

Wow I thought I was the only one who had played Mortyr. Thanks for this!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So I installed IW and gave it a shot. It feels really weird, like I'm having trouble running it, but I kept going until the game crashed when I blew up a spider bot. It's a shame the guy working on the engine left it in the state it is.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Eatpants posted:

Wow I thought I was the only one who had played Mortyr. Thanks for this!

I'm the priest with the G-Man voice.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hank Morgan posted:

You are not wrong. Thief 3 Gold http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143658
It only worked for a few missions before it would crash out on me though.

They've been updating the Sneaky Upgrade (the big unofficial fanpatch project) quite a bit lately, so perhaps that might be fixed now?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

jeeves posted:

Also, Warren Spector left Invisible War to work on Thief3. Thief3 isn't the best Thief game just because it is being compared to loving Thief 1 and 2, but holy poo poo does his departure of one for the other definitely show in the final product.

Yeah and it annoys me when gaming journalists put Thief 3 and Invisible War on the same pedestal nowadays, claiming they both suck. Thief 3 is a disappointment compared to the first two games but is still a Thief game through and through and had some really cool moments of its own, including a level that is still fondly remembered even today. Invisible War is just a really forgettable and somewhat bland game that completely misjudged what people liked about the first game and if you ask people what they remember about it, you're lucky if they could mention NG Resonance or the coffee shop feud.

They might be running on the same somewhat broken engine but they aren't remotely comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm the priest with the G-Man voice.

There's only one voice actor for all the characters. Even the women.

Wolfscheisse has the best weapon of all time, though - piece of bratwurst, which you can feed to dogs in game, so they'll start attacking enemies.

There's a sequel to Wolfschanze, but made by different crew, on FEAR engine and nowhere as hilarious as the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-M8jPikRnU