Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I used to use lean constantly when I'd play Red Orchestra, since every additional pixel of your body that was exposed added to the certainty of your gut goop decorating the walls. I'd imagine it's more of a thing in PvP than in PvE in general, when you're looking for any competitive edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

bbcisdabomb posted:

System Shock 2 is the only game I remember that not only let you lean left and right, but forward and back!

I have no idea why you'd want to lean forward, but now you can!

To see better over edges… which was never really needed (or even possible because there were railings in the way)?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

System Shock 2 is the only game I remember that not only let you lean left and right, but forward and back!

It's just a feature of the Dark Engine that they didn't bother taking out.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

My contribution to this discussion on leaning in video games: Thief. That is all.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

bbcisdabomb posted:

First-person Michael Jackson Simulator

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I lean around corners in System Shock all the time. I'm not sure if the game actually calculates how much of your body is exposed but it sure feels like it.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

is there a group of goons out there that play quakelive/q3 cpma or other MP stuff together?
I've been getting back into quake again and it'd be nice to have some cool dudes to play with.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new Wolfenstein has multi-direction lean too. If you hold down both lean buttons while standing, you peek up, and if you hold them while crouching you squat down lower. It's completely useless but it's cool that you can do it anyway.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Convex posted:

I just want a way to play Duke3D (and Shadow Warrior) without horrific stuttering on my PC. If the new version does that then I'm in.

Have you tried eDuke32, it has several renderers. I like Polymost, it's one that has true 3D mouselook like GZDoom etc. It also has Polymer renderer which is pretty rough (low FPS) but has light effects etc, don't use that one. Or if you don't mind, it also has the classic renderer of the original Duke 3D, as in screen stretching for looking up and down. But I'd guess classic renderer at least would work without stuttering for you. And Megaton Edition as well as GOG have had a dosbox edition of Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior classic, if you don't mind 800x600 etc. Also I personally turn off vsync in any Duke port, mouse feels smoother that way.

http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthesis/ grab a recent eDuke32 build here, 5575 (the fourth one down, from June 10th) is one I can vouch for in particular.

Needless to say I'm always hyped for some Duke news! If it's that Duke 3D re-release with the brand new episode, I'm all about that, sounds terrific. I'm also of course ready to be hyped for some new Duke game too, bring it on.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 26, 2016

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The new Wolfenstein has multi-direction lean too. If you hold down both lean buttons while standing, you peek up, and if you hold them while crouching you squat down lower. It's completely useless but it's cool that you can do it anyway.

i wanna say that if you're in stealth the nazis wont see you if you peek over cover, but its been 2 years since i played that game.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 26, 2016

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I never lean in games because I'm a lefty weirdo who uses arrow keys

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I can't wait for this new Duke Nukem episode to feature horribly-awkward and outdated pop-culture references

*Duke runs across a pixelated depiction of the LucasArts studio, now in ruins*

Looks like these guys couldn't FORCE their way out of this one!"

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

ChickenHeart posted:

I can't wait for this new Duke Nukem episode to feature horribly-awkward and outdated pop-culture references

*Duke runs across a pixelated depiction of the LucasArts studio, now in ruins*

Looks like these guys couldn't FORCE their way out of this one!"

I mean, the rumors say that Duke now says 'bazinga' so

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
*Duke walks by a building labeled "MIME SCHOOL"*

"A Meme school?"

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

ChickenHeart posted:

"A Meme school?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGLzm-Gy0dQ

I'll just be over here slowly playing through all the old maps on Duke Repository and also lamenting that it hasn't updated since 2010

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

daft punk railroad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGLzm-Gy0dQ

I'll just be over here slowly playing through all the old maps on Duke Repository and also lamenting that it hasn't updated since 2010

http://msdn.duke4.net/hot.php review site is more up to date with maps from this year, baby! Click the Reviewed date column a couple times and the newer ones are on top. And there are even more Duke maps than that out there too. But agreed playing through old Duke maps is one of the best things.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Jellidelic posted:

is there a group of goons out there that play quakelive/q3 cpma or other MP stuff together?
I've been getting back into quake again and it'd be nice to have some cool dudes to play with.
me and a couple other guys have been playing vanilla q3 now and then. quake live doesn't feel right to me for some reason. i was also thinking of getting some ut99 poo poo going.

we've been organizing here.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOkbfFICEp8

By the way, looks like there's a leak:
http://duke3dmaps.tumblr.com/post/149486657561/duke-nukem-3d-world-tour-courtesy-of-a-4chan-leak

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 26, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some more screenshots have been leaked out on Reddit. The leaker there claims that it's being developed by Nerve Software, who handled Doom 2: No Rest For The Living. If that's true, then at least the maps will be in good hands...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Kins posted:

Some more screenshots have been leaked out on Reddit. The leaker there claims that it's being developed by Nerve Software, who handled Doom 2: No Rest For The Living. If that's true, then at least the maps will be in good hands...

I am pleased! (To quote that Asian guy who Randal briefly married in the Clerks cartoon)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I'd like the Android port, but this is also fine.

Now I wonder how it will be distributed, as Megaton Edition is no more and I don't think they're going back to DOSBox.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

So this is a thing that just happened I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g9SazeaeK0
Yahtzee is fun stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so the new Duke announcement is just for some new levels for Duke 3D? That's it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so the new Duke announcement is just for some new levels for Duke 3D? That's it?
It looks like there'll be at least one new weapon (flamethrower) and TerminX mentioned dipping into old prototypes to find some sprites for a new enemy. Probably some new Lee Jackson jams, too, but that could go either way (see: Bobby Prince in Wrack. Yeesh!)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There may also be a movie quadrilogy directed by Robert Rodriguez. I wanna get that rumor started right here.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

There may also be a movie quadrilogy directed by Robert Rodriguez. I wanna get that rumor started right here.

I'm hype as gently caress for the Duke Nukem Quadrilogy trailer

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm hype as gently caress for the Duke Nukem Quadrilogy trailer

:master:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

ChickenHeart posted:

"A Meme school?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJdA7dwx6-4

The Kins posted:

Probably some new Lee Jackson jams, too, but that could go either way (see: Bobby Prince in Wrack. Yeesh!)

Unlike Bobby, I put 100% faith into Lee delivering. Dude's awesome.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Apparently, Chex Quest's 20th birtday was few days ago, and a new episode was released, with nine new maps (plus three hidden and seven multiplayer), new weapon and new Flemoids apparently. Played it for a while, and hope the things pick up after the first map because it's really dull.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I tried the first release of that, and, well... it's okay, but where the crap's the music?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There's no music, because, well

quote:

The lack of music is in fact intentional. When I grew up, I played Chex Quest on a PC with a sound card so poor that it couldn't handle sounds and music at the same time, so sounds won, lol. To this day, playing any Doom-based game with music doesn't really feel natural to me (though Golden Earring's 'Twilight Zone' or some Billy Idol tunes go great with Doom II). I suck as a composer anyway, as you might have gathered from the boss fanfares, so it's probably for the better that there's no soundtrack. I honestly don't notice the lack of music, so I should've said something. Sorry about that.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well that's dumb. Maybe that's how he experienced Chex Quest, but it sure as poo poo ain't how I experienced it, and the lack of it's glaring as all get-out. Just reuse music from the other three episodes, like Thy Flesh Consumed did? C'mon now.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Shadow Hog posted:

Just reuse music from the other three episodes, like Thy Flesh Consumed did? C'mon now.

quote:

I had thought about it, but honestly I didn't like the idea of reusing over half the music from the IWAD. I guess putting music on the game wasn't really a priority for me, lol. I may patch it later on to include music of some sort, but for now it'll probably stay as is. Sorry.

This is just weird and lazy. For such a big release, which apparently took him 4,5 years to make.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
At first I thought this was the one from the guy who made the originals (I heard he was making a follow-up) but apparently it's by an unrelated third party, has no music (and the guy insists that Doom with Music is weird? What a gently caress head), and is full of boring maps anyway. I downloaded it, but I think it's probably going to be deleted with out me ever opening the zip.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think the best part was having to do pretty much all of the first map with only the pistol small zorcher.

I think you got the shotgun larger zorcher at the very end of the map - or maybe I'm mixing that up with the beginning of the second. Otherwise, the only other gun you get is the BFG LAZ Device via a secret. But don't worry, there's plenty of ammo for all the other guns that aren't in the map.

On an unrelated note, Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour looks really good and I kinda wish it wasn't tied to yet another rerelease of vanilla Duke Nukem 3D. An entire sequel game in the same engine would satiate me, honestly. (Though, admittedly, I still have Duke It Out In DC, Life's a Beach and maaaaybe Nuclear Winter to get through.)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
To be fair, giving you ammo for a weapon you don't have yet is a Doom tradition. There are places to get energy cells in E1, where you don't get a BFG, and I think the only Plasma Rifle is in a secret room. Having to do a whole level with just the pistol equivalent is kind of poo poo though.

I need to get back into Mapping, I never did finish the map I was working on a few months ago.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I thought the only cells you get in E1 are from backpacks, which just give you a little of everything, and that there are no plasma rifles until E2 and no BFGs until E3?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shadow Hog posted:

I thought the only cells you get in E1 are from backpacks, which just give you a little of everything, and that there are no plasma rifles until E2 and no BFGs until E3?

This is correct

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Someone at school told me there was a hidden plasma rifle in the shareware episode. I spent ages looking for it.

gently caress that kid, whoever he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow Hog posted:

On an unrelated note, Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour looks really good and I kinda wish it wasn't tied to yet another rerelease of vanilla Duke Nukem 3D. An entire sequel game in the same engine would satiate me, honestly. (Though, admittedly, I still have Duke It Out In DC, Life's a Beach and maaaaybe Nuclear Winter to get through.)

Duke user maps are so much better than those third party 90s add-ons mentioned, for the record. Life's a Beach is the best of those, and it's okay, but the other ones are pretty dull I'd say. ADG Episode is a good one for example. And maps like Mean Streets, Warz, restlessresort, Traffic Jam, It Lives, so many.

World Tour I think is gonna be awesome though, since Nerve software has rocked us in the past, and looks promising. Agreed a full game's worth of maps would be great, but an episode is nice too. And there's still that build Bombshell game coming along too.