Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

*stuff*
I've spoken to him myself a few times since I'm working on a TC for Duke that also has multi-characters and everything you said here is pretty much 100% accurate. It's kinda scary really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Here's a project that's just been released for Duke that's really cool:

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/4468-the-wall/

It's basically 'The Wall' told ingame via gameplay sequences and cutscenes. I played it yesterday and thought it was pretty great. If you're a fan of Pink Floyd and have Duke as well than I'd recommend giving it a try.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Man, I had forgotten how much unfun bullshit there is in the Q2 expansion packs. Getting to play around with the Phalanx Gun is not worth this.
You're talking about the reskinned Gladiators and Tanks with shields so strong that they take several BFG blasts to kill, and are only difficult in the sense that they chew up all your loving ammunition right? Because yeah, those guys suck and are why I always remember why I don't replay The Reckoning pack more often. Ground Zero isn't as bad since at least all the new enemies look cool, but those loving turrets are almost as bad.

...now talking about those add-on packs has made me sad though since we'll never receive anything like them again, just DLC that only has about a quarter of the cool stuff.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Hell, even interesting weapons seem to be thin on the ground these days. Duke3d had "mundane" weapons that could still be used in interesting ways, like the pipebombs and laser tripmines, but these days everything just seems to be "you point it at the enemy and damage comes out" with minor variations on accuracy and rate of fire.
That's a good point, I miss having BFG-style guns in games. Nowadays the closest equivilent is probably a rocket-launcher with about 2 rockets for it. That's another problem with the loadout system that every game has nowadays though; every gun has to be balanced so that there's no clear advantage. That's fine in theory, but part of the fun of having the awesome guns just floating in air in the level was that it also figured into the flow of the level. It gave DM levels some more depth beyond just beating your opponents since it was just as much about area denial as it was pure skill.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

So, uh, this talk about story and Doom made me check up on the Doom novels I remember hearing about several times in the past. Wikipedia has a synopsis of the plot of the series on it's page.

There aren't many words I can use to describe just what in the gently caress the authors must of been taking when they wrote the books. Did they literally take a look at the game and go "there's not much to go with here, let's go huff some spraypaint and see where it takes us" I kind of wish more game-book authors just said "gently caress it" to the source material and took the plots into all kinds of crazy territory (maybe the ME books might of been passable then)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

Anyone from the Halflife mod days ever played "Science & Industry" mod?

It was probably my favorite mod ever, I was involved with lots of clan stuff for a lot of years. It was a small community, but a strong one.

The mod was a ridiculous premise. Two corporations warring against each other, whoever had the most money at the end wins, you get money by researching technologies, you research technologies by capturing your opponents assets in the form of scientists, technology (weapons they drop), and some maps had objectives to collect as well.

Was freaking amazingly well balanced, with many strats and possible outcomes. Really great game.
YES god drat it I loved this game, it was amazing. It's sad that the Source sequal never really took off the ground (at least from what I can see) I never got the hang of the advanced movement stuff, but it was a shitload of fun and had a cool array of gadgets. Half-life had the best mods, it's sad that we'll never really go through that time again since most mods either set the bar low or most new games don't let you mod them. I think my favourite moment in that mod was being chased by an enemy agent into a dark reactor room and actually HIDING from him in the shadows where he couldn't see me. He ran back out and forgot about me. You can't repeat that in singleplayer, you can't ever hide from or not be seen by AI since it always knows exactly where you are, it just fakes not knowing to various degress.

I also loved a mod for Half-life called Syndicate Black Ops. It's gameplay is completely broken and you die in about 1 hit from a enemy soldier, but that just made it incredibly fun and challenging when played in co-op. You had a bunch of weapons which also did absurd damage, and you had limited amounts of lives to complete a level in. I like Sven co-op alot but it never feels challenging compared to Black ops. E.Y.E is made by the same people and set in the same universe, and it looks loving awesome as well. I really hope the release date is tommorow like it's been speculated.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah as much as ladder-cutscenes blow I'm grateful for that modern invention since ladders were the bane of my life in older games (FEAR did it pretty great as well, since you could slide down from the top instead of having to climb down it as slowly as climbing up) I've died many times due to slipping and sliding off of Ladders.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Reading that blog about Crash Bandicoot's development blew my mind. It's amazing how much they squeezed out of that hardware; I know that most console games nowadays still have pretty tight limits but when you look at what tiny power the older consoles had it just seems so much more amazing what they could do with it.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Finished Deathwish, a pretty incredible ride all together. I've been building for over a decade now but some of the stuff there makes me feel ashamed even though it's not even for the same game. It also reminds how tough Blood is, the only way Duke3D gets tough is if you stick a shitload of enemies in the same room.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Under new management, but it's still Doomworld - only one ZDoom wad worth mentioning all year?
There's been plenty of years where the majority of wads are Zdoom ones...it just so happens the author felt that there were more quality standard Doom wads released than Zdoom ones. I really don't see it as an agenda against Zdoom (and I love Zdoom, every one of my favourite doom mods is for it)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

If you're into Duke mods, I just released the AMC TC which is a HUGE mod featuring 8 characters (some from past Duke Nukem mods) that's a mash-up of Duke, SW (The not-racist parts), Blood, X-com, Deus Ex, Half-life, just about every decent FPS you can think of in old times. It's standalone so you don't need Duke installed, but you should grab a copy off of GoG or wherever anyways since it has a shitload of other mods worth checking out too.

You can check out the release topic here:
http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5127-amc-tc-released-merry-x-mas/

Here's some dated videos you can check out on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vygh8MN6xaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdyBSL9L6rw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awo8qfBbbkU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Pheener posted:

I seriously cannot believe that this isn't getting more attention. This is an extremely enjoyable TC, and while the voice acting is charmingly juvenile, and the story is a hodge-podge of whatever, it's one of those absolutely staggering mods that would've easily fetched market value in the mid-90's. Thank you for this, it's all the fun of Duke Plus, but in huge, creative, explorable levels that tie together, and the upgrades/research system adds just enough depth to the game to make it 'not duke'. I love that whole "assembling a team" concept.

Mods like this are so rare that I can't really think of any complaints, and I'm only a few hours in (not sure how long it'll be), but seriously, this is phenomenal and I hope more people check it out. Goddamn Build is such a great engine.
Glad you liked it - so far reception seems to be everybody who played it falls in love with it, but just not that many people are playing it. I've made a moddb profile and everything but I kinda hope it's one of those slow burners. I loving hate circle-jerking modders normally but I did put alot of love into the mod so having people get so much fun out of it makes all the crappy parts of modding worth it.

quote:

Does anyone besides me really wish there was a Duke Nukem mod that didn't have any protozoid slimers in it?
Well for the AMC TC there's literally like 5 in the opening level in an area you don't have to go into, and then you never see them again.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 4, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Can I ask why this is called a total conversion? Is it just a holdover from 90s lingo? If I were to look at a project with these qualities in a vacuum, I would just call it an indie fan game. Is there a technical distinction between making a TC and making a video game?
Yeah, it's holdover slang - I've been modding Duke since about 2000 and we called huge projects like this 'TCs' back then, but now everything these days is called mods. Part of the mod is dedicated to the golden days of Duke mods and stuff as well as classic shooters (although there's also plenty of stuff and lessons learned from newer games as well, plus a tiny bit of X-com thrown in)

It is a standalone game, but only in the sense you don't need Duke 3D to run it. I'll always call it a 'TC' in my head.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Thompsons posted:

They really are the most harmless enemy in the entire game, but the noises they make combined with them just creeping onto the screen always makes me jump :(

Note to the AMC creator that I'm not making GBS threads on your mod because you have them in one level plus one of the other bonus maps, I just always hate protozoids wherever they appear :v:
That's cool, I was thinking about actually adding a config line that kills them off from the map completely (plus one for spiders when I get around to adding them in) but I didn't think the need for it would be huge. guess I was mistaken! (as much as I love Doom, it's nice to see the mod get even a little bit of notice here since I felt it fulfilled everything this thread was about)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I tried editing game.con a while back to disable them but I could never figure out how to because the Build engine is a hacky pile of garbage.
If you're using Eduke32, just stick this:
code:
onevent EVENT_GAME

ifactor EGG killit
ifactor GREENSLIME killit

endevent
underneath the defines for USER and DEF, and it'll remove both the eggs and the greenslimes from the game. This works for ANY mod as well, you just have to stick that little bit of code in it's main con file.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I recorded a partial playthrough of one of the AMC TC maps as the melee character, incase anybody here's curious as to what the mod's like. The Duke enemies are only featured in one level, then there's several other themes and enemy sets you can fight against (including a Doom style level set on Ganymede and in 'Hell') I'll have to record more videos since there's like 7 more characters who all have different weapons and voices and poo poo.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Thompsons posted:

-Worst thing about it (or the best thing, I think it's funny as hell) is the voice-acting and story. That aside, I haven't had this much fun with Duke Nukem since I finished War of Attrition.
heh, thanks - the story does get better once the plot points tie in but it's pretty early so it's all a bit disconnected right now.

quote:

-The characters are all goofy as hell but I love how distinct their arsenals are (like Znort's guns don't require reloading, Merlijn is melee, Nikko's armor-piercing gats, etc); they even get different powerups, which made me smile.
I did struggle with making them distinct and should of done more but I'm glad so far people are finding enough differences between then.

quote:

-Levels themselves seem great so far after about four stages in. The biggest worry I had was everything being a giant circuitous keycard hunt like War of Attrition's community maps were, but it looks like you managed to skirt that. I think the Hell map could've been shorter but it was far from the worst thing I've ever played. --Edit: playing the Abyss level again, getting the red key is kind of obtuse because as far as I can tell, you end up going through a teleporter and arrive at this boney meat-tower thing, and to get up to the balcony you have to use the jump pad in front of it. The problem is that I have no idea how you're supposed to activate it and just got through it by chance after kicking the tower's base and then backing up over the jump pad. If I were you I'd look over that part again and give the player some kind of scanner hint or something because I basically found the answer through dumb luck.
That unfortunately was a bug - one tester fell into the pit so I filled it up but it broke the jump effect. There is a fix for that but I'm working on a patch as it is.

quote:

-Research and topics carrying over from one game to the next is great since I don't have to search through every level on multiple playthroughs, though I'm kinda curious as to how I get these weapons and ammo types I researched. Do I pick them up in the armory before heading to the briefing room? Also, are there ways to switch between characters at the base?
There's a loadout screen next to the armoury where you can equip characters with found and researched items. Most levels will let you start with the stuff you've assigned but a few like Megabase won't since you get shot down at the level's start.

quote:

-Streamed it, one friend thought it was completely absurd and dumb. Then again, he didn't like Brutal Doom either so there's no accounting for taste :v:
Is the stream saved anywhere online? I'd love to watch another person playthrough it.

quote:

The door doesn't open and I eventually realized you had to jump through the high window, but are you supposed to do it by bringing one of your squaddies with you and jumping on his head to reach it? Because if that's the answer and all my guys had died, I'd be pretty pissed off.
That was the answer originally, I rushed to find a way to make him be needed for proceeding but now I've just stuck a switch next to the door.

quote:

In the stats menu in the computer at the AMC base, it mentions something about "Coop Points". Does it support co-op?
Yes and no. The Eduke32 team made new netcode but it's not finished yet so multiplayer is pretty much hosed at the minute (I haven't tried it in a while) but there's a shitload of multiplayer, co-op, and invasion maps in the TC as it is now. Seperate co-op maps have to be made for SP levels since the cutscenes and some special effects won't work but apart from that everything works in MP (or it used to at least) I even found a way to make the weapons and pickups look appropriate for each character, and to make certain things invisible to certain characters only.

quote:

Secondly, in the Megabase level, I found a sort of easter egg(?) on some ducts near the suspended crate that you can jump on to get to one of the roofs. It said something like "SLEEP SLEEP REST". Any info on what that's about? I like to imagine the mapper was up really loving late that night.
Did you accidentally shoot or touch the brain-on-a-stick machine in the medroom? You get those bizarre messages if that happen since it's a direct mental attack.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 7, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Thompsons posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19577529

Me messing around on Ganymede and Abyss. This was my first runthrough and I ended up missing the switch that opens the hangar bay :v: I did end up loving the game, but Abyss was probably my least favorite section.

As a sidenote I think I'm doing your protozoid removal thing wrong; was I supposed to edit the GAME or AMCGAME CON file? Because the latter one has a lot of stuff in it and editing the former didn't do anything.
It's a bit more complicated for the AMC TC but if you open up AMCGAME.con, search for 'onevent EVENT_GAME' and then stick those 2 lines about the EGG and GREENSLIME after that and it should work. I've added it in to the settings section for the next patch though.

Thanks for the stream, I'm gonna check it out now.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Roobanguy posted:

It also has inventory management. You can carry up to 6 things and a large weapon, like a shotgun. From one of the gameplay videos I saw a few months ago, you lose 3 inventory spaces at one point though. No storage box either, but syringes stack and bullets don't take up space.
You lost the extra 3 slots near the end of the game, so it's not a HUGE burden but still a pain in the rear end. If anybody's playing I'll save you some trouble and say the shotgun is pretty useless, it only does a little bit more damage than the pistols assuming all the pellets hit. Ditch it if you need the space.

Played through the Co-op campaign twice; yesterday for the first time and again today with 3 people instead of two. It was fun the first time through when we didn't know what to expect but on the second playthrough it become obvious that apart from not being able to respawn and having to be brought back to life it doesn't really do anything new. The ammo conservation is annoying meaning you have to die and hope that level gives you a gun if you want to beat some areas, and other levels are only beatable if you run through it. The most annoying thing by far is that they added a sub-machine gun that only donators can use; this isn't really too bad except that it still shows up for non-donators and when you have ZERO ammo for everything else and the devs have put in guns for people who've given money it feels like a slap in the face. They should of just let us use the gun and given a gold skin for it or something like Sven Co-op does for donators, that would of been much better.

It's still cool that they added it though and took the time to make it more than just a co-op run through the SP campaign (You do play through it backwards but things are pretty different and it has it's own ending as well)

Jblade fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 27, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Kins posted:

Matt Hooper posted a brief statement on Twitter about those leaked images:
Speaking of the future, I'm finally talking about the next Reelism update since it's only a month or so away from completion. Have a poorly done comic-y thing with some info and screenshots, and a little teaser video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6YGd6EZQaA
You made a grammatical error in the comic. You put "Remedied with prejudice" when it should say "Remedied with extreme prejudice" :unsmigghh:

Seriously though cool to hear about the co-op - I've never been a fan of SP wave gameplay as it feels kind alifeless but with other people it's much much better.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

So I finally got around to trying out the AMC TC. How do I get it to unfuck the HUD so that it actually shows me what weapons/ammo/keys I have, rather than flashing it up for a second when I switch weapons?
Do you mean the HUD isn't working at all? Or do you mean you want to get that old long status bar up that normal Duke has? The TC disables the old Duke HUD but I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't be able to see it. If you mean there's no HUD at all, press the -/+ key which enables/disables the HUD ingame.

EDIT: also Kins just a minor thing if you update the OP again soon; AMC TC is standalone like WGR2, incase anybody wants to try it out but doesn't have Duke3D for some reason.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 30, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

The HUD is working in the sense that it shows me ammo/health/armour. There's no status bar like the old hud that shows me all of my keys and weapons - there isn't even anything that shows me my currently ready item. If I switch weapons or pick something up, a faint, unreadable display flickers at the top of the screen for about half a second, then vanishes.
Trying grabbing the 1.07 patch here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dczd4gqigcqlz13

What character are you playing as? If you could show me a screenshot as well that'd help since I haven't come across this bug before. There is no long status bar like the Old Duke one that shows all weapons and ammo at once, but the HUDs should definitly show what inventory item you have ready. Some HUDs don't show keys which was a mistake (but there is a PDU you can use to check all of your items and keys)

Jblade fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 31, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I already have the patch, although given the complete lack of instructions I'm not sure I installed it right - just unpack everything to the AMC directory?
Yeah, my bad for not giving instructions. I'll update the wiki with some.

quote:

I'm playing as Agent Stanfield. Here is a screenshot. Turns out that item display is working (I just didn't have an item ready). Note that I took that screenshot at the instant I was picking up a weapon and ammo; that stuff at the top of the screen appears for less than a second and then vanishes again. Ideally, I'd like that to display all the time.

It also seems to forget my keybinds every time I exit, which is a pain in the dick.
The keybinds thing sounds annoying, but that's more an Eduke32 issue than one with the AMC TC. The bar is supposed to disappear like Half-life's weapon bar, but I'll add in an option to make it stay onscreen in the next patch I'm working on since I imagine there's other people who'd also like it onscreen at all times as well.

EDIT: You could actually edit that in right now, if you open the file 'AMCGAME.CON' with a txt editor and look for this line:
code:
actor APLAYER MAXPLAYERHEALTH 0 0 0
and add this under it:
code:
setvar WEAP_SHOW 30
It'll force the bar to always be on. It won't work on a saved game though since Duke saves the code files into the save file itself, so any changes won't affect it.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 4, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Sweet, thank you. I'm only a few levels in, I don't mind restarting.

E: also, while I have you here, two typo reports -
Research computer: "Personel" should be "Personnel"
New Game menu: "precludes" should be "precedes", or possibly the sentence should be restructured.
haha, thanks - I try to maintain the illusion my spelling is good but sometimes I screw that up :downs:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Do you want me to report more spelling issues as I find them, then? :devil:

Also, the "doom-esque" moonbase level was pretty cool.

Also, even better than "precedes" for that sentence: "presages". That's what I was originally trying to think of, but there was a kitten in my head.
Might as well, the next patch already fixes a poo poo ton of errors so adding more to the list is always a good thing.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The voices sound great, you got a perfect mix between sounding badass and sounding like a crazy motherfucker that the Doomguy in the Comics is.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Swolegoat posted:

Are there any cool mods for duke3d aside from Attrition? Also, any mods for BLOOD I should know about?
Check the OP since there's quite a few around now. DukePlus is worth a look since it's got quite alot of maps for it now - WGRealms 2 is also good fun and my own AMC TC will keep you occupied for a long time as well.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

If any of you guys are still playing the AMC TC or were on the fence about trying it I just released a new version with alot of fixes and improvements over the last one (most notable a setting that removes slimers :v: ) as well as a bunch of new content (including an extended ending for beating the game on the hardest difficulty mode) You can grab it here

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah, it's due to that fix. gently caress it! Thanks for the write-up, I appreciate it. This will fix that error, but it's not compatible with save games since Duke saves the code files inside the actual savegames themselves:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gg5bokbxg5ey53a

Just unzip that into the directory. I'll have to post about this on moddb as well.

The characters all move at the same speed but the size of the weapon you're carrying affects sprint time, something that I didn't explain for some stupid reason. The weapon system itself needs big changes for Episode 2 in anycase since there's lots of things not explained too well.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 23, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

An additional issue - before starting a mission it tells me to buy upgrades and get my loadout sorted out. Which I do. And then the mission starts and I have no equipment or upgrades at all - the only thing that seems to carry over is any leftover money. I'm assuming I'm just being dumb here, though.

Seriously though, the design on level 2 & 3 are fantastic. Sucks that a bug like that managed to sneak through.
For some reason upgrades aren't carrying over, I'll have to look into that. You should be given your equipment that you assigned to your character in the loadout terminal though in the later levels though. I'll take a quick look around myself and see if I can spot why this is.

Glad you're enjoying the mod though, the later levels are even better than the first few (My favourite of the mod being Millhaven; I put together the finishing cutscenes and stuff but the map itself was by Rusty Nails who's the character you play as well)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, I'd just gotten to Millhaven, but was finding it rather difficult as I was starting out with only my non-upgraded pistol, which isn't much help against a dozen or so tommygun cultists.
For what it's worth, the upgrade only makes it fire with semi-auto - you can find a second pistol inside a little house near the beginning. The Revolver's alt-fire if held down does much more damage when fully charged (you can tell when this is as the screen stops shaking) Also make sure you're aiming for the head; if you've got it enabled, disabling auto-aim makes it much much easier to hit enemies in the head as it automatically shoots at an enemy's centre otherwise.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Aaah, it looks like you do keep your loadout if you start a mission via the terminal just off the side of the weapon upgrade shop, but if you start it via the briefing, then you lose it all.

Suggestion for a lazy workaround: Just have the briefing end take you back to the AMC base, then tell the player to gear up and pick the mission from that screen.
Hmm, this is strange - I'll have to look into why this is happening but it shouldn't happen like that at all. What level is this affecting again, Millhaven? Megabase should be the only level you don't get your equipment due to the crashing ship (And I'm planning to add upgrades to future episodes with things like better shields or lock boxes that'll keep your stuff if the ship gets destroyed in a cutscene) and also a later level which is a flashback before the AMC squad, for obvious reasons. For future episodes I do need to revamp the way missions work since many people wanted to revisit the base after each mission rather than the way it's done now.

quote:

Yeah, my reaction was more "hey, it's the Xen platforming sequence from Half-Life, only not as good, crossed with the fleshy level from Blood, only not as good, and unlike either I have only a single weapon with just barely enough ammo to kill anything so if I miss at all I am hosed" and that's the reason I haven't made it any further in AMC.
There should be enough ammo and health dotted around to survive, but if you just want to get past it with cheating than the Duke3D cheat codes still work as intended (Although for anybody playing it on the higher skill levels it blocks the ability to get skill trophies) Sorry you're having trouble with the jumps though, if I had more time I should of added alternate routes and stuff and made it less linear (making the jump ones high-risk high-reward) Keeping motivated whilst building stuff is difficult for me these days though.

If you're playing with an early version though the later versions increase the damage of some of the Abyss weapons so it's worth giving it another go with the newer version if it's been a while.

quote:

And that tower was amazing. I never knew the Build engine could do organic environments that... icky.
Thanks - the walls moving around is a build trick that's pretty great for organic sequences. I know Blood did a flesh level but I tried to go with my own ideas for this one, it's similar to a level I did in the AMC TC's prequal game.

Morter posted:

Edit: Just tried out the AMC Team, and played as Dusty. Not a bad game at all, I like how the weapons feel...although I promptly got stuck in the area with the Envirosuit. I think I fixed all the leaks because I picked up the Universal somethingsomething plan...but my objective is to still seal all the leaks, though I can't find any...but still, fun game! :shobon:
There's only one leak to fix - once you've done that one head back around the corridoor and straight down and you'll see a door that's been unlocked. Head inside and you can find a service area with a dark red keycard and a research project.

There's no real collection of usermaps apart from checking the reviews at MSDN. The ones in the best maps list up the top are a good start if you haven't already checked them out.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 24, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

Congrats on releasing the update, Jblade!
Much appreciated! I've been working on my own stuff so I haven't had a chance to check out reelism but from what little I played I liked it. You made Night of the homeless as well right?

ToxicFrog posted:

It's less that I have trouble with the jumps and more that I just don't find FPS jumping puzzles fun. Especially when the platforms don't exist until you're about to land on them (although I have to say that, visually, the platforms appearing as you approach is a pretty sweet effect).
There are floating candles that highlight the general area of where the bits are; that bit itself was inspired by a similar part in Undying (which was an incredible game and it blows that it didn't sell enough to get another installment)

quote:

As for the ammo, possibly I'm just bad at duke3d but I keep ending each fight with perhaps 5 rounds left, which isn't a lot with a rapid-fire weapon. Then I get into the flesh tower and use up all my ammo failing to kill something that can toast me drat quick and welp.
There's a fresh weapon up on top of the tower before you actually go inside. You can drop what gun you're holding by holding down the reload key, than you can pick it up and go inside with more ammunition (Unless you're already doing that)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Morter posted:

So, for the AMC Team, is there a way to get ammo from those upgrade stations mid mission? Or can you not, despite it saying AMMO at the top? :(
Sorry, that was a case of re-using art assets since there wasn't a huge amount of art space available for a while (and me not being an artist) What level are you on?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Played Reelism a bit, pretty cool stuff. I swore I read you got co-op working though, did I imagine it or is that still coming? These types of mods I kinda like playing with more people since I get a bit overwhelmed if there's hordes of enemies that I have to keep killing by myself. That and I'm pretty bad at it from what I can tell :v:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

JackMackerel posted:

I can't loving find the Yellow Key in Spirit World of DooM 2, argh. (speaking of that - I'm playing it via AEOD, and it's a blast. Though, does anyone know where this gun's from?
From Turok 2, it's called the Firestorm cannon I think?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Kins posted:

I asked Xaser about some of this stuff.
2.) Can you expand on how certain upgrades are counterproductive or useless? He's curious.
I'm not the same guy, but the weapon upgrades are boring; personally I'd make them each do different things or just make one upgrade, have it cost more but have a visual difference and a more noticable effect. There's little incentive to upgrade the guns since they do so little damage anyway and you might as well put the blood money into spells.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

You know I do loving hate the 'art' thing many games are trying for but I do feel like there is just a certain...purity? to Vanilla Doom gameplay that the weapon mods just do away with completely, Brutal Doom included. Don't get me wrong though, I have zero objection to playing with weapon mods or the like - authorial intent is one thing, but on the other hand if the player wants to add a dozen mods on top of a perfectly balanced SP wad he's got just as much right to do that as the author does to complain about it.

quote:

but to a smaller extent than Brutal Doom, and there's the added advantage of the developer not wanting to sample gore from real life pictures of shotgun suicides and car crashes.
:stare: I don't want to be too reactionary here but is that true?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Have there been any good Skulltag invasion level packs released in the past 6-9 months? I recall that there were quite a few in the works, but many stalled out or got sank by drama. Not seen much good since Armageddon Invasion and Alpha/Delta.
Yeah I'm really hoping there's one out soon; none of the other multiplayer mods really have the same feel as those two (Shotgun Invasion comes close but suffers from balance problems; that and I've played those maps to death as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I'd be down for mapping for something like that, I haven't made any Doom levels but I've released a couple of Duke maps here and here, and a few TCs as well here and here