Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I've wanted to play the Marathon trilogy for a long time and while I made it through marathon 1 via aleph one, it gave me the worst loving headache from playing the game. I don't know if its from the way it shears the y axis when you mouselook or what but it put me off playing the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Kazvall posted:

The models in QuakeI/II move like each inch of skin is some scummy parasite, festering in it's sheer jubilation.

Was that an artifact of the technology or the lack of skeletal animation? I always thought it made quake1 look eerier.

As much as I love quake1, I do wish it wasn't as bare in terms of ingame story, I guess. I get the whole doom-without-hell vibe, but the way the levels tie together always bugged me. Even the inclusion of a doom-style overworld map showing the relation of say, the Wizard's Manse and The Dismal Oubliette, would've helped the game feel less disjointed.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

8pm est is perfect for me.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I've been playing no rest for the living recently and I wonder why we couldnt get levels of this quality in vanilla doom 2.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Yeah it was fun, I never thought that I could resort to spraying and praying with a loving rocket launcher before. Though I still love using the thunderbolt or shaft or whatever its called and killing everybody in the water after getting the pentagram.

Oh yeah and the entire server telefragging each other when the map starts, that will never get old.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Being the top of the human ladder was definitely one of the more interesting things I did tonight.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Our heroes :911:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The best level was the one with the loving stadium.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'd like to execute the mapper who decided it would be wonderful to put the red key inside the building locked with the red key.

It was was a good thing brutal doom let me barrel-jump in the window or I would've never found it.

Also loading every map with vixens and cyberdemons.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

That was a bug. An awesome bug.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Ddraig posted:

I'm starting to think Romero had more influence over id than we'd like to admit. Virtually every id game since he left hasn't really gotten the core essence of what made Doom/Quake fun originally.

Quake 2 had that ridiculous Strogg plot that has tainted the series as a whole, Doom 3 was a pitch black monster closet with terrible pacing, Rage was great but had the worst ending I think I've ever seen in a game, and now Doom 4 might be more cinematic?

I don't know how impossible it would be, but I think it's a huge mistake to make doom 4 without John Romero as a level designer. Sure he made some major missteps post-id but come the gently caress on, its doom and id's current roster of level designers don't seem to get it.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Caleb in this is insanely overpowered.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

So my uploads of the skulltag party thing the other night finally finished, well mostly I guess. Like it says in the description I didn't get the entire thing because I didn't start recording until a bunch of people showed up, and then the recording got cut off because I set it to the wrong drive. But that's how it goes.

Episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuY6BNQFTNQ

Episodes 2 & 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAzc_1nO-0

Oh yeah and

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Blood wouldn't have been so difficult if almost enemy wasn't hitscan and armed with rapid fire guns.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The shovel in SMOD is the best, and most versatile, melee weapon in all of games.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

If I'm understanding you correctly, to make the walls not show up, you have to make a little ledge pointing out wherever you want the sky to stop and make the ceiling texture of that little ledge the skybox and it wont render it.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Brutal Doom works with it, although you can't keep track of your ammo since the hud is tied to psx_ weapons. Real Guns Hardcore kinda works with it but its buggy and if you switch weapons it goes back to the psx_ weapons and youre locked out of the rgh weapons.

I played Doom on my psx a lot when I was younger and I don't remember it being anywhere near as tense as now. I also didn't notice the weird texturing changes and colored lighting back then.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Hold space to climb. You'll hear this "UNGH" sound when you latch on.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Those are tassels.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is sort-of-related, but imagine Doom, top-down, procedurally-generated levels, and one-life.

Teleglitch

http://teleglitch.com/index.php?page=about

Just played the demo. I thought it was cool but hard. It seemed like to even have a chance to not blow all of my ammo on those little annoying 4-legged things, I had to continually herd them down narrow corridors. At least until I figured out how powerful the melee attack was. Besides some enemies being hard to pick out from the background, it looks really cool.

Not sure it's worth the money for 10 levels though, even if they change each time.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Played the demo, its pretty neat but a little hard on the eyes. Didn't find a way to run in a window.

use the teleglitch_windowed.bat inside the folder.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

They felt the most accurate title, Boring: The Game, was a little too accurate.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

After playing some of the ipod touch version of Marathon I really wonder how I played Doom and stuff back in the day with just a keyboard.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Edit: Stop after level 11, skip straight to No Rest For the Living.

0 rows returned fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 17, 2012

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

kmxexii posted:

I love Quake but I don't like the zero positive feedback on shooting enemies. Doom's super-fast single sprite pain frames plus the ability to actually push monsters back with weapons - depending on what you're using - feels a lot better than shooting Quake monsters, which feel like hitting concrete blocks. Same goes for Quake II, really.

The ogre's sometimes fell down when you shot them. I think the grunts did too but I'm never sure what triggers it.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The thing I remember most about the whole half life hype is I played the first one with no idea what it was, i remember hearing the name somewhere and then i got it and played it and i guess just skipped through it or something because I bought it off steam during one of the sales and being like "what the gently caress i don't remember any of this," though I did remember most of Xen oddly.

The only thing I really remembered from playing it was finishing it and being like "eh it was ok" and promptly not caring about it for the next couple of years.

Then half life 2 comes out and all my friends kept calling it the best game ever and ejaculating all over it so I played it at a lan party and the only thing I could think of it was that it made so many level and game design mistakes in my eyes (like making you sit around in a closed room while people spout exposition at you, some very obvious scripted events during the action sequences, every loving character blowing you for no reason) that I couldn't take it seriously at all. It really felt like some lovely mod to me. This feeling never has gone away and I still don't understand what the big deal was. I played Red Faction 1 a couple of years before and remember comparing the two and Red Faction always came out on top. I mean you can blow loving walls up and it had interesting weapons AND I could pretend I was Benny in Total Recall.

I watched some series of videos last year where these guys talked about all the great design decisions made through the levels and compared it to homefront (i think) and sat there wondering if they played some different version of the game because nothing they said really worked with what they were showing, even considering the age of hl2.

I think it really comes down to the fact that I never feel like I'm actually doing anything during the games. Things happen and I sit around watching them, I watch some npc do something, I came to an elevator now I have to sit there and watch it come down, there's a physics lever puzzle gotta sit there and see physics. All the important decisions are made by other people while I sit at the kids table drinking juice while the grown ups do important things.

Which is a total 180 from hl1 where you end up doing everything and it seems important even if the reasons you do things are kinda vague. And it only got worse with the episodes (only this time with the creepiest game romance imaginable ugh) and spread to portal 2.

And then I read raising the bar (is that the name of the cut content book?) and was like "why the gently caress did they cut out all the cool stuff?"

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'm replaying the Marathon series and they must have changed something in aleph one because I no longer get motion sickness from playing it. Also the change in graphical fidelity from m1 to m2 is amazing.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Evan Montegarde posted:

I think Doom 3 captured the spirit of the original Doom more than most people gave it credit for. Doom 1 is meant to be a horror game; it's about running blindly through high-tech bases with hell slowly bleeding through while enemies appear out of nowhere. Doom 3 has the same feel, and even though it's slower paced and the enemy density is much smaller it presents similar situations where each room is its own set piece with the monster/level design interactions providing variety and fun. Doom 2 (especially in the mid to later levels) was a much more open game where the challenge was the hordes of monsters thrown at you; the gameplay is much more run-and-gun, if you stop moving you'll probably be dead soon.

Playing Doom 1 as a child had me legitimately scared, Doom 2 not so much. Doom 3 brought back that feeling for me very well and a lot of the complaints about it (darkness, monster closets, lack of flashlight/gun simultaneously) were parts that I really enjoyed. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking.

The thing that I hated in doom 3 the most was the dull, samey levels. I don't remember if any levels aren't "dull grey" or "vaguely industrial". The constant monster closets didn't help but most of the time they were very obvious.

I never understood the whole flashlight complaint because it takes what, less than a second to switch to a weapon and you could beat a monster in the head with it before backing up if you ran into one.

I always thought FEAR sorta carried on the spirit of the gameplay of doom, too bad the levels sucked and you fought two types of enemies the entire game, but you could do a slow motion dropkick and that was always fun. More games should have that.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'd imagine level hubs never caught on because having to walk back across 3 maps (that are for the most part empty since you passed through the first time) to find a door or switch or something is the complete opposite of fun.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I always remember Doom 2's map design as being a little too abstract. Like, it's cool they experimented with weird ideas (big "open world" levels in 1994), but they were just so hosed up and weird that it was hard to wrap my head around what any of it was supposed to be. They also tended to be gimmicky.

The reason I always hated the city levels was because every loving building looked the same and it wasn't any help looking at the map because every one was an identical square. To this day, I get lost when playing those levels if I don't just skip past them immediately. They just don't strike me as well designed. They're also loving ugly oh my god whoever made that level that was all that loving terrible red brick texture ugh.

I think they didn't put enough thought into making Doom 2's texture set unique enough compared to Doom 1. Like each episode seemed to have a specific style of textures that set them apart but Doom 2 seemed to have just Doom 1's textures and then a couple extra ones that were so ugly.

One thing I can say about Sandy Peterson is his level design skills got better by Quake. He was still nowhere in the league of John Romero but he got better.

Also the added monsters were great (but not the chaingunners, gently caress the chaingunners).

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The shotgun first showed up in Marathon 2, which was on computers that could handle Doom and Quake.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

hippieman posted:

And yes, I put that god damned puzzle back in. Sue me.

When I played through Marathon 1 recently, I didn't find that puzzle that difficult. A little annoying that you have to wait for the platforms to go all the way up or down before adjusting, but other than that it wasn't too bad.

Were you the one that removed the Pathways Into Darkness minilevel at the beginning of Arrival? I was a little sad to see it gone.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Only one way to save id now, rehire John Romero.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Doom 3 had both demons and shotguns and it was poo poo.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I always thought the vertex floating made a really creepy effect that was unfortunately never used in any game ever.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I agree, Descent is loving good. When I played it, I thought I was going to have trouble because I wasn't sure how well I was going to handle the six degrees of freedom gameplay, but I handled it just fine, and fighting those loving robots in twisty, cramped corridors was awesome.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I don't know how they managed it, but they seem to just get it. It's magical.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Place bets on the time, in seconds, before throwing up by loading up quake done quickest.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

iirc it doesnt really do anything, monsters spawn by crossing triggers along that little cliff face heading toward the teleport. But if you want, you can imagine that it spawns in the most dangerous monsters to try to stop you from reaching that portal.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The blood splatter shows up on the interstitial map on the levels you've already beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

map02 in doom 2 is one giant sewer

wasnt there a sewer map in ultima underworld 2