Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
For the OP there is a relatively newer Thief thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

The big weakness with fantasy FPSs is that very few first person games ever really got the melee combat aspect right. I think Dark Messiah is probably the best example of melee combat in an FPS since everything has such a strong sense of momentum and weight behind it where as most games just feels like you are just swiping at a hit box.

And obligatory Dark Messiah of Slippin' and Slidin'

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

It probably falls outside the definition of an early FPS but the Thief-like Dark Mod just went fully standalone so it no longer requires Doom3 to be installed.

http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Not sure why I didn't just post this here earlier since I'd imagine there would be some people here who would be interested but about a month ago in the Old School RPG/Thief threads I posted about how I converted a level of Ultima Underworld from an ancient level viewer into Blender and then into the Dark Mod. So after posting that I got my thinking cap on cutting the middle man out and writing a program to do the job for me. I've been documenting my progress and sharing my code in this thread over the Dark Mod forums and I've made some decent progress on it and I now have a basic tool that can convert Ultima Underworld 1/2/Demo maps with some minor kinks into DarkMod/Doom3(untested) compatible .map files. As a bonus to all of that as of today I have added very basic System Shock 1 support.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

If you want an extra challenge in Rage try playing through the wasteland legend co-op levels on your own.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

System Shock 2's renderer is from around the same time as Quake 1 so it looks like rear end without mods to fix that. There's a big article by the programmer on how they went from Ultima Underworld to the Dark engine but I can't find it.

Is this the article? http://nothings.org/gamedev/thief_rendering.html

Edit:
Some screenshots from my Ultima Underworld & System Shock to DarkMod conversion tool.

there are a bunch of incorrect textures in those but I've since fixed them.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 31, 2013

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Some screenshots of Ultima Underworld 1, Underworld 2 and System Shock 1 from my user unfriendly map export tool. These are all running in the Dark Mod version of the Doom 3 engine.

http://imgur.com/a/iJiux

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm guessing it's Back to Saturn X's nickname. You know, BTSX.

I don't think I've commented on this before, so I'll say it now. This is awesome. I guess this comes the closest to a modern engine for these old games, since every engine recreation attempts for Underworld fell apart...

I would regard doing an engine as an act of insanity. I'm hoping to at least get a good modders resource out of it for doing a total conversion. I haven't posted much about it here but at the moment I can walk around most levels in the three games and the texturing and geometry is mostly right. I also have some basic automatic generation of level scripting working in UW. For instance I can do things such as open locked doors with keys and switches, read signs and books, see visions in crystal balls, change blocks of terrain via events and travel between levels (without persistence). There is absolutely no game-play at the moment though and I'm using place-holder models for most objects on the maps.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

If only they could be converted to Dark Engine format. It'd be really awesome to get a SS1 TC for SS2, since the original's controls were just so ridiculously clunky by comparison.

I had tried to find map format specifications for the Dark engine a while back but I came up with nothing. UW/Shock are just tile-map based engines so in theory all I would need is code to implement the dozen or so tile types as Dark engine brushes to at least get the geometry ported over.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

So, um, I went to GOG.com today for the first time in months and I seem to have drunkenly purchased the thief trilogy a few months back. Anyone mind telling me what I'm in for if I check out the first one? My computer can't run anything modern, so I don't need any fancy enhancements or anything. Is the gameplay superclunky or anything like that?

I used to be a stealth fan way back with stuff like Metal Gear and Splinter Cell, but never got around to Thief.

Play Thief 1 first. It's has a superior story than 2 and some cut-scenes in Metal Age will spoil some of the cooler story events in 1. Don't be scared off by the concept of non-human enemies. They still follow the same rules of detection as the human ones. People talk about the sheer game-play purity of Doom in this thread but I think Thief is the stealth game equivalent of that purity.

For the first time through play the game on normal difficulty as expert requires you to know what you are doing in a few places. Just be prepared to get lost in some of the larger levels though but that is part of the charm of the experience.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Speaking of Doom, here are some Doom3(darkmod version) is dark screen-shots of level one of System Shock 1 from my conversion tool.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Wow, very cool. Are those the stock textures or some hi-res remake of them? Looks really nice.

Whatever textures SS Portable uses. So as far as I know they are the originals or scaled up versions of the originals.

The level also has a fair bit of scripting automatically ranging from simple things like elevators to flickering lights. I have working audio logs, emails and taunts from Shodan, animated screens and a few other bits and pieces working. There is absolutely no game-play implemented though and a lot of stuff is place-holder art but it's coming along nicely.
The level is automatically generated from the original game files and my tool works for all of the original levels from SS (and Ultima Underworld 1/2 as well). Ironically enough I can barely use a level editor.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I'm not familiar with the SS engine but assume it didn't have any fancy lighting--how do you convert stuff to be lit in a modern engine?

Shock is tile based so each tile has a top and bottom shade value that is applied directly to the textures colour palette. I just approximate that effect by generating a pair of lights based on the shading values. It's not the same and I still don't fully understand it but it's close enough to give a decent appearance to the maps.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I made a short video of my System Shock 1 to Dark Mod conversion in action. Most of the art is place holder, wooden doors in space is probably a bad idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlz_Ifo9mcQ

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Speaking of 20 years. System Shock 1 turns 20 years old this month. Some of the original devs are doing a live steam of the game this sunday. http://www.twitch.tv/algorithmancy

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Now is a good time to watch the System Shock developers mess around with stream settings
http://www.twitch.tv/algorithmancy

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I'm fairly certain that if you take your time and explore your surroundings on that level in SS1 there is a way to disable that trap.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

System Shock veterans: how the frickle frack do I get the isotope from level 2 so I can power up the shields around the laser? The audio logs talk about grabbing an envirosuit, but the totally lovely rear end vague as gently caress guides people have written say it's on level 7, which is somewhere I can't even remotely get to at the moment.

I feel like Hal from Malcom in the Middle.

Suck it up. Quickly run in to the room with the isotope on level 2. You can remove the radiation using a detox hypo. You won't suffer from radiation while carrying the isotope.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

jimmy boag posted:

after like 8 hours i still can't stop laughing at the loving elevator music in system shock. i'm like OH gently caress I GOTTA SPRINT AWAY FROM THESE ROBOTS aand i get back to safetey and then its all do doooo doot doot doooooooo

Fun fact. The music flag for the elevator tile is what the game uses to determine where the player goes to when travelling between levels.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Why on earth did they do this?

Basically the map file for 15 levels including object info for the entire game is 600kb in total (compressed). It was the only unique field that they had available to them in the file structure.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Internet Friend posted:

Beat Shock 1 enhanced edition. Still a great game, though even with mouselook cyberspace still sucks.

How does that work on floors with multiple elevators? Are there a bunch of redundant elevator music flags?

I think it's to do with how each set of lift shafts (or level transition objects) only goes to certain levels. So if you are on floor 2 that has a lift shaft that goes to floors 1,2 & 3 and a shaft that goes to 2,3 & 4 you will also have matching lift shafts on those levels for 1,2 & 3 and 2,3 & 4 as needed. It uses the music flag to get the correct tile for the lift and then from the correct tile it matches the lift shaft to the one you have just used. All objects such as the lift triggers are stored in linked lists that get their first entry from the tile they are in so it has to find the tile before it can find the lift trigger object.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Speaking of lovely Unity games. Regulars in this thread might remember me mentioning working on a tool to convert Ultima Underworld 1&2 and System Shock 1 levels into other formats. Well I've just released a "demo" demo based on the free demo for Ultima Underworld comprising of the first level of that game. It's fairly rough around the edges and has a few bugs but if anyone is interested in trying it out they can download it here. All the assets are from the free demo so it contains no commercial Ultima Underworld content.

I've been posting about the tool on and off at this systemshock.org thread if you want more info or to look at how it has evolved from an IDtech tool, to having basic source engine support(for the laugh) and to it's current form where it exports maps, art, game text and scripts to generate Unity levels.

Instructions
Controls
E toggles mouse look on and off. WASD movement, space to jump.
Press the buttons on the left to enter the various interaction modes. I've tried to match underworld's original behaviour as much as possible.

Magic
To cast magic missile (ORT JUX) collect the two runes around the corner to the left from where you start. Put them in the run bag found in the backpack near the locked door. Open the rune bag and click on the two runes in the correct order. Then click on the rune display "shelf" to begin casting. Click again to release the spell

Combat.
Enter attack mode (sword) Hold down the right mouse button. This builds a charge. Release the mouse to launch an attack. Both you and the AI will inflict 5 points of damage per hit. You won't die though.

Known bugs and issues
TMAP objects are half size. (this was because of a freeze bug that I had no time to fix so instead I disabled the animation script on them)
AIs are a bit janky. Friendly AIs may occasionally walk through walls or doors and may seem a bit jerky. Not sure what is going on there.
Mouse cursors are only displaying crosshair's. Eg if you pick up an item the cursor won't change as expected This is due to an art setting in unity at runtime.
Some text UI elements are not flowing correctly.
Palette cycling effects on objects are over zealous.
Texture animations is turned off.
No weapon animations. Not implemented yet.
Movement speed and jumping is superhuman.
Mouse cursors are not aligned to the centre of the view. This is most noticeable when casting magic missile and in combat.
Hit detection is just a bit off. There is no feedback for combat apart from your health meter. Use your imagination.
Magic rune display is displaying the wrong runes.
Combat is a bit "hit and miss".
Lockpicking is possible but no doors are flagged as pickable.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I've beaten System Shock Enhanced Edition about a 1000 times and I wanna play through the original version for hilarious tank controls and sweet, sweet Sound Blaster 16 music. The only thing is that the horizontal mouse movement is slow and sluggish, but vertical is fine. Is there any way to fix this?

There should be a file called Cyb.cfg (or xcyb.cfg) to edit the mouse controls sensitivity settings with separate multipliers for each axis.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I want to play some Christmas-themed Early FPS maps/mods while the holiday season is in full swing. I'm down for anything (Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Unreal, Duke) sans that awful expansion pack for Duke Nukem 3D. Any suggestions?

Rise of the Triad on Christmas day.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I have clear memories of playing Catacomb Abyss with friends where one of us would control movement, another shooting and last would navigate and call out targets approaching on the radar.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQXgwO-70o

I love Ultima Underworld a bit too much.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Arkane have yet to release a bad game (Dark Messiah is flawed but fun) so I'm interested in seeing what their take on a System Shock style game will be.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

jeeves posted:

I believe someone modded Thief 3 to have most of the levels stitched together to get rid of a lot of the load screens.

Is this correct, or am I remembering wrong?

You are not wrong. Thief 3 Gold http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143658
It only worked for a few missions before it would crash out on me though.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Hi,
I've just released a Unity (I know) port of Ultima Underworld. It's early, it's first person. It's not a shooter but I still think the thread might be interested.

https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter/releases

Requires original UW1 game files.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Convex posted:

Thanks for making and sharing this. Never played either UU games although I've had them on GOG for years.

Any chance of adding 1920x1080 support please?

Hopefully in the future. I had issues with the original art work when I had the full range of resolutions enabled. It's on my todo list.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Seven Portals has sapped my will to live once more.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Version 1.0 of my Ultima Underworld to Unity port.

https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter/releases/tag/v1.0

Supports Ultima Underworld 1 fully, partial Underworld 2 support, and contains a map viewer for System Shock 1 and Terra Nova:SFC. Requires original game files to run.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I get this weirdness instead of a main menu or anything like that when starting up Ultima Underworld 1. The music plays though. I followed the instructions and put everything in the right place. :confused:

That's the placeholder UI. Are you playing using the Gog.com version by any chance? There are specific instructions for that version in the readme.txt

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yes, I followed all the instructions; pointing the text file at the directory and 7zipping the GoG version's files into its own folder.

Ok. I've just retested the process for running the gog.com version and it should work as follows. The screen shot you have above is what happens when it can't find all the game files it needs.

In the folder where the gog.com versions are installed (eg "C:\Games\UW1 and 2") there is a file called game.gog.
I extracted that file using 7-zip into a new folder called game. That folder is at c:\games\uw1 and 2\game
Within that new folder there are two folders UW and UW2 those are the folders to use in the text file.
So to run UW1 I copy the path C:\Games\UW1 and 2\game\UW into the uw1_path.txt file in my program.

If that does not work there is an error log in the uwe_data folder that might shed some more light.

Just to note I've just uploaded a new version to fix a save game bug and it should become live in the next half hour.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Over the weekend I've released the updated version 1.03 of my Ultima Underworld 1&2 port to the Unity engine.

If anyone is interested in trying it out you can get it at

https://github.com/hankmorgan/UnderworldExporter/releases/latest

*Requires original game files.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Is this...a completely playable and working port of UUW1 to Unity? loving hell! Definitely going to check this out.

Do Pathways into Darkness next? :v:

(I note in the README you mention that you want to do Shock at some point; you might want to hold off until NDS releases the source code. It'll save you a lot of reverse engineering.)

Yeah. You can fully beat Underworld 1 (with a few bugs and rough edges along the way). Underworld 2 is partially playable and because the engines/file formats aren't a million miles apart it has a map renderer for System Shock 1 and Terra Nova. I don't plan on considering doing any work on SS1 until UW2 is bedded down though.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I think the best way to play the Thief trilogy is to bronze man it and only allow yourself a save when you complete a game objective and only reload on death. It strikes a nice balance between the risk of getting caught and the satisfaction of outwitting a bunch of guards.

You guys are smarter than Benny right??

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Buy and play all 3 thief games. Dark Project has an utterly fantastic story and the core game-play is as good as Metal Age in my opinion. Deadly Shadows is hamstrung by it's engine but it's a solid conclusion to the Thief series.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Which Thief had the angry guards threatening to broil the rival guard's Lord's knickers?

Metal Age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU8gMHDkH48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I suppose I should've said using sprites for enemies and not particles/whatever and also I meant as a normal release and not a throwback shooter.

Strife or one of the later build engine games?