Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fag Boy Jim posted:

well, that, and the completely non-existent midtier for monsters

I'm completely sick of playing levels/episodes Doom because I'm really tired of the tiny number of different enemies. Doom 2 had just about the right enemy variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

OneEightHundred posted:

Sort of both. Skeletal animation was computationally expensive, so they used vertex animation. Memory was scarce, so they used 8-bit coordinates that jiggle from rounding error.

The worst jiggling I've ever seen from that era was in Kingpin. It was Quake 2 based but they did a much worse job at keeping things under control than id did.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fag Boy Jim posted:

ehh, the chaingun was a rapid fire hitscan sniper rifle if you tapped the trigger, it was perfect for taking down things like PEs, cacos, commandos, and arachs at long range, unlike the plasma gun (since it was projectile based).

and the single shotgun did have a good niche in Doom II as a midrange hitscanner/imp killer, it took down packs of low-tier enemies much faster than the SSG (which left you vulnerable to unavoidable hitscan attacks while you reloaded, and wasted ammo since most hitscanners/imps died in one shell anyway)

Yeah, in vanilla Doom 2 I find myself pulling out the Shotgun and Chaingun quite often even after I have the Super Shotgun and Plasma Gun for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I feel as if the pistol is the only obsoleted weapon (fists too, if you're on a level without a berserk pack.)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Space human being posted:

Having 6 keycards

Yeah I thought it was amusing that they tried something interesting in Z1M1 with having to find a bomb to blow up a wall. Then the later levels were like "welp here's 6 keycards"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Essobie posted:

I would argue that the multiplayer in Quake 1 felt tacked on, and didn't actually take off until QuakeWorld made it possible for people to not jump into lava on accident if they happened to be playing outside of a LAN environment (or a college T1). The weapon progression was obviously based on the single player experience, with a number of guns being mostly useless in DM (see Nailgun and Super Nailgun).

I recall an interview with Carmack where he stated that he created QuakeWorld only after he realized how popular multiplayer was, and was ashamed at how poorly the stock netcode performed. So I don't think it's fair to say that it was designed with multiplayer in mind.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Starhawk64 posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I find Doom's 20 year old graphics still nice to look at. High Resolution Texture packs are for losers who can't appreciate good pixel art. :smug:

Doom has very, very good textures and sprites, in spite of their low resolution and low colour counts. They were made by some very good artists after all, so I wouldn't expect it to be easy to match even with much better tech available.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RyokoTK posted:

It's the Bio-Force Gun. :jerkbag:

The Doom movie was loving terrible by any sense of the word.

On the other hand, Ghosts of Mars was actually a fantastic Doom movie.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gashroom posted:

Speaking of controllers...

This got reviewed on PlanetQuake back in the day. You were supposed to use the joystick to move and the trackball to aim.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bouchacha posted:

Why doesn't it have OpenGL capabilities?

Either he's mistaken, or the parents should be nailed for child abuse for giving their son a computer that's almost twice as old as he us.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

catlord posted:

It's like, a $200 machine. It think it does have OpenGL capabilities, but I don't think very well, and it's not really a great PC overall. I dunno, it's an eMachine, but I have no idea what kind, just that it's a couple years old now. I was just trying to get him something that ran well, I originally tried setting him up with Chocolate Doom, but he requested mods and I figured ZDoom would be easier to find them for.

You should give it a try, it's not as though Doom is fairly graphics intensive. I was playing GL Doom Legacy back on a computer with an integrated ATI Rage Pro back in the 90s, so certainly even a cruddy budget machine can do that now.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ChickenHeart posted:

Obviously the "Hangar" portion of Hangar resides behind the door you entered the map from, geez. Doomguy was probably stuck with "watch the landing craft" duty up until the moment everyone else died, so that's where the expansive, properly-scaled and immaculately-detailed landing bay would be.

That's literally Doom's story. DoomGuy was stuck with guard duty on the landing craft (probably because he was shipped off to Mars after assaulting his superior officer and they wanted to give him the crap duty) and after listening to everyone die on his radio he decided "welp I don't know how to fly this thing, let's go get killed sooner rather than later." So the start of Hangar is actually him leaving the hangar and seeing the first of his dead comrades.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Speaking of Daedalus, I ran into a fatal error trying to play it a while back. One part of the hub would not let me leave it once I'd entered. Any exit would immediately crash GZDoom. Wonder if that's been mopped up since then, or if I tried it again if I'd get the same problem.

I had issues with enemies blinking in an out of existence. Regular enemies, imps and such, would only appear when attacking and would become invisible when walking around. That was years ago though and with GZDoom which may not have been up to par with normal ZDoom at the time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CoarsestGrate posted:

That's not a bug. TeamTNT used "stealth monsters" when making Daedalus.

Oh. That's really dumb. Is there a way to disable it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Now, see, in my eyes, Quake II weapons were a nice bunch. There was the little splash of red and the exposed shell on the grenade launcher, the heavy audio of the SxS shotgun, the colorful and visceral punch of the railgun, even the BFG10k's bright ball of energy tasering everything as it floated through space. The weapons were distinct in appearance and--even when there were overlaps in function--each weapon felt unique enough that everything had a use without the arsenal being too limited or too broad. The mechanics, animations, and audio played crucial roles in making everything tangible and satisfying to use in a way that a lot of FPS games miss.

I don't remember a whole lot else about Quake II, but I do remember its guns.

Quake II had really nice-feeling hand grenades. This became quite apparent to me when Weapons Factory Arena came out for Quake III. WFA and its precursor for Quake II made heavy use of hand grenades, but Quake III had no basis for hand grenades like Quake II so the WFA ones felt like it was just spawning a grenade launcher shot in front of your face when you released the fire button.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 10, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Kins posted:

Have a quick mini-mod that replaces the stealth monsters with Spectre-ized monsters (dark fuzzy transparency). Hope this helps!

Cool thanks, I think that will be a lot more tolerable. I'll have to give it another try.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Kins posted:

Pretty sure Lost Souls can infight if one kamikazes into another.

Yes, this definitely happens.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Amethyst posted:

You would have to be a retard to read criticisms of brutal doom and read them simply as "people getting mad".

Brutal doom fundamentally misunderstands what makes doom great.

Well, it does, but it's also kind of weird to get up in peoples' business about it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

jerkstoresup posted:

I'm just now realizing something. Everyone who worked on Doom 1 no longer works at id Software, which means Doom 4 is in fresh hands. What's stopping them from ditching idTech and just making a badass Doom game in Unreal or whatever other engine?

Nothing aside from the fact that they probably already have made a bunch of content and code for an idTech engine and it is what they have a lot of experience with it.

Be realistic here, changing engines on a whim is what made Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever into development nightmares. Doom 4 has taken long enough as it is and swapping engines would just make it the next one.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jakcson posted:

I never played Daikatana, so I can't comment on it, but I thought Duke Nukem Forever was great. I couldn't stop laughing when I was in the hive, and I saw the Holsom Twins, and Duke said "Looks like you're...hosed."

If a long production time is what is necessary for id to make Doom 4 into a masterpiece, then I say go for it. I'll wait another decade for Doom 4ever.

I dunno why they had to scrap their original idea for being too much like Call of Duty, though. Aside from the health regeneration thing, I'm pretty sure Doom (or at least Zandronum/Skulltag) was doing it first. Doom was Call of Duty before CoD even existed.

I didn't comment on the quality of those two games, but they definitely were development nightmares even if you thought they were good games. They both took way too long to reach market and cost way too much, in no small part due to mid-development engine swapping.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

closeted republican posted:

Actually, DNF stuck with Unreal Engine 1 after it changed to the Unreal engine back in 1999.

Did it? I thought they adopted a later version of the Unreal engine some time after that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

closeted republican posted:

:ssh: It is. He was trolling anti-Brutal Doom people during the last Brutal Doom chat.

Oh drat, I gave a non-response because I thought he was an idiot and I didn't want to start a dumb slapfight, but it could have been funny to say "nah it sucks" and see where it went.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

JackMackerel posted:

Hideously unbalanced MP at that, too! (which is fun, but still, the only thing "competitive" is scrambling to get the Firebomb ASAP)

I always thought Wolfenstein 2009 was good and solid, but it was missing something that made it memorable. You were basically Booker with Elizabeth's powers.

I'm trying out Shogo and holy poo poo is it ugly, even by 90s standards. :stare:

Shogo is the worst kind of "Americans looking at Japanese anime/manga and trying to emulate it" style but it's a really good game to make up for it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adr66rvCFpw

:3: I love throwbacks like that.

I didn't really care for RTCW or Wolf09 but this one is getting pretty good reviews, I think I may pick it up and give it a shot.

I do really regret buying Rise of the Triad, though, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on wolf yet. But it seems very different.

The guy playing doesn't seem to understand what's going on though.

"Oh it's like they're 2D or something :downs:"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Kins posted:

Or if you want a twist to your nostalgia, here's the 2002 E3 demo played through "as intended".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzJ0wFj-ag

I downloaded the demo from Usenet after it was leaked. The one part in the video that he didn't show off is that the normal zombies can't be killed. Shooting them a bunch knocks them down and a little while later they get right back up. You can stand on them and they helplessly flail around as they try to stand.

Elliotw2 posted:

Nope, it's a limitation of the entire quake 2 model format! At least it's not quite as bad as the Kingpin weapons, which sometimes look like they're literally boiling.

Forget the weapons, even the characters in Kingpin looked like they were made of Jell-o.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

JackMackerel posted:

The only thing that bothers me is about Quake 2 sourceports is that none of them stop the gibs from disappearing, like Darkplaces Quake 1. :|

Speaking of which, I've heard Darkplaces is coming to Quake 2 eventually.

The code for the gibs is in gamex86.dll rather than quake2.exe so you could potentially have persistent gibs in the original game or any sourceport.

You might run out of entities though unless the source port jacks up how many simultaneous entities it's willing to allocate. I was playing with the gamex86.dll source last summer and I added a bunch of custom enemies (based on a bunch of mecha anime player models, and shrunk down Grunts for infantry like in Shogo) and in one build I accidentally had the gib sequence for one enemy in a loop and it would spawn too many gibs within a second or two of dying and overload the game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DXH posted:

So apparently this is a thing again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yPPVWvB6I

Doom 1 and 2 redone in idTech4. I just reinstalled Doom 3 to play around with some mods so maybe I'll give this a go. What do you guys think? From what I've seen from the videos, it's not much of a scale up visually speaking from the numerous 3D model and texture packs already out there for Doom. I'm not liking that they kept the Doom 3 shotgun model and sounds but it's a pre-beta (alpha?) so I'm sure that will change.

:stonk:

Every texture seen in that video looks like what happens when you give a non-artist a box of Photoshop filters and tell them to recreate Doom textures.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Segmentation Fault posted:

I wonder if this wasn't actually the idea behind Doom 2 all along. The maps might've been included just so there's a full game present. It wouldn't be until 16 years after Doom 2 where Valve learned through Alien Swarm that you can't release a mere toolset for video game content without including actual content behind it.

I'd rather play a good Doom 2 map than a great Doom map just because of the fantastic monster variety.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I played Unreal when it was new and it was certainly beautiful, atmospheric, and unique.

I also felt like it was fairly boring because of the tiny variety of enemies and the weak weapons that took many shots to kill anything. I feel like it would be a more exciting game if it just didn't have enemies in it at all to interrupt the exploration and sightseeing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Quake 2 N64 has completely original levels and original music.

I liked Quake 2's single player enough that I found N64 Quake 2 to be worth playing just for the original levels, which actually got pretty creative at times.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elliotw2 posted:

He's also overloading himself, since he said he wants his engine to run Dark Forces, Daggerfall, Outlaws, and Blood.

At least the Doom engines limit themselves to games that basically all work the same.

Ahaha what? At that point he's writing four engines and packing them into one executable.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tippis posted:

…at the same time, a bit of a warning on these two. Once you get L3 grip, balance goes completely out the window. The game sets up lots of mini-duels against one or two force users, often in particularly dangerous locations such as bridges or ledges over bottomless (or lava-bottomed) pits. These are supposed to be very tense and require dramatically different gameplay than against ye olde hordes of mercs and storm troopers. With L3 grip, though. those duels are over in 2 seconds: grip, move, let go… aaaaaafzzzz. The same was essentially true in Outcast as well, but it offered far fewer situations where you'd just plough through a dozen supposedly tense encounters in less than a minute.

Basically, don't fall to the darkside for the temptation on your first play-through since it's just too easy a trick. Incidentally, the same holds true for L3 mind trick, but on a different set of enemies, so the light side is just as evil in this regard. :v:

If I recall from my playthrough, they counter force grip with a force push which knocks you over and breaks it... but if you tap grip while flicking the camera towards the pit they don't have a chance to counter it before they go for a tumble :getin:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Guillermus posted:

What would be a good button scheme with a xbox360 gamepad to emulate a N64 pad? It kind of fucks with my mind the whole B,A buttons then the other yellow ones on the N64.

to

I really want to play some N64 shooters (and other games) but I always end messing around way too much with the buttons.

Bumpers for L/R, left stick for analog, right stick for C buttons, D-pad for D-pad, 2 face buttons for A/B, left trigger for Z, and start for start.

Edit: If you aren't able to map the right stick as buttons, you have to compromise a bit and use the D-pad for the D-pad OR the C buttons. This works in most cases since most games don't use the D-pad at all.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 20, 2014

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I always thought Duke's pistol was something really beefy like a Desert Eagle so I'm surprised that it matches up so well with a Glock 17 given how fat it looks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

EvilGenius posted:

Just stumbled upon this, for any coders interested in how early FPS works. It's a 265 line raycaster project in javascript.

http://www.playfuljs.com/a-first-person-engine-in-265-lines/

People have also translated to python and other languages. I'm gonna try it on my raspberry pi.

Neat, I've kind of wanted to hit the Wolfenstein 3D source and add stuff to it because I understand how the algorithm works but the code is crusty. Maybe I'll do something with that when I have more time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nintendo Kid posted:

I really appreciate it when WAD authors do these little touches to transition between techbase and demonic areas of a level:

I love that kind of poo poo. I also like good usage of the flesh textures and flats from the stock game to make organic crap growing in bases. I wish Episode 2 of the base game pulled that kind of stuff with the Deimos base.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Love Shovel posted:

Wrong picture. How embarassing.

Ah yeah, now that's what I'm talking about.

While not really that great to play, Knee Deep in Zdoom had a bunch of hell transformation stuff going on especially in Computer Station and Phobos Anomaly. There's a vanilla remake of Episode 2 called Back 2 Basics that also has a lot of great hell transformation stuff and is pretty much what Episode 2 should have been more like to begin with, I think.

One thing I thought was missing that would have been neat at the end of Episode 1 is if the portal led to the teleporter pad in the portal room on Deimos and the episode ends when you step off of it. Then Episode 2 starts in an identical room for continuity. Would have been neat and would have fit into what little story Doom had quite well.

EvilGenius posted:

Just stumbled upon this, for any coders interested in how early FPS works. It's a 265 line raycaster project in javascript.

http://www.playfuljs.com/a-first-person-engine-in-265-lines/

People have also translated to python and other languages. I'm gonna try it on my raspberry pi.

Re: above again,

So after poking around in that Javascript raytracer, I decided I didn't like a lot about the particular way it was written so I wrote my own version using a different version of essentially the same algorithm. I cribbed some of the math from here but I reversed the co-ordinates to match up and right being positive, and I had to fix the parts of the math that use tan to solve for a triangle side because it goes nuts for angles greater than pi/2 or less than 0 (as far as I can tell the author was using a precalculated tan table in his Java demo that was set up to account for that).

Here's what I have so far:

Oddly enough it's just about as lengthy as that Javascript version at 252 lines.

It's missing the drawn weapon (a few seconds of work) and the rain (half an hour of work that I don't feel like doing) but is otherwise the same so far as far as features. I did it in a 2D game engine called Love that uses Lua for the scripting. I had never used it before but it was the first thing I found that let me draw stuff on a screen with a scripting language I like. I'm going to rewrite it in C eventually once I finish it but for now it runs fairly well.

Edit: Actually I'm missing shading on the floor but I think that's just a static texture in the original

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 13, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mogomra posted:

This is really cool, do you have your source code anywhere public?

It's gross and uncommented right now but when I have a chance to clean it up and finish it off I'll put it up somewhere.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Ewwwww, javascript! :barf:
Edit: Oh wait, you wrote it in Lua/Love? That's actually a decent language. :thumbsup:

Hey man that looks pretty slick already. How fast does it render? 30fps? 60fps+? Because that's pretty important, you gotta make sure you keep it all lean enough to run smooth.
Textured walls look good, but you need some more textures in there to show it off. :)

Your textured ceiling/skybox looks cool. I never got ceiling texturing working in mine, something about the math would line up the textures wrong, but a skybox is a cool alternative. Yeah some floor texturing would be nice.

Drawing the weapon is easy, you just copy the texture on top after you're done rendering the scene. Then if you want a firing animation, just cycle through an array of textures. Super easy.

Also I'd increase the wall height a little, the perspective seems funny. Unless you're supposed to be crawling around the 1/2 floor offices from Being John Malkovich. Or... maybe I'm wrong, or its just this screenshot giving me that impression.

The performance has issues because the FPS is highly variable between executions. I added an FPS counter just now and I got 60 (which must be internally capped by Love) with temporary dips down to 55 for who knows what reason, but now I'm running it and getting 20-30. In both cases it's using only single digits of my CPU according to Windows so who knows, clearly I need to do some profiling and optimize some things.

Per-tile textures is easy and is next on my agenda. The ceiling and floor are fake, I'm just drawing an image for the sky and a rectangle for the floor right now, but textures are on my list as well. I think I can get away with drawing textures with different scaling in a loop rather than doing per-pixel rays to the floor which I'm worried would be too taxing for Lua.

As for the perspective, everything is drawn with the center of the wall at the center of the screen but I'm using an FOV that might be too wide. It's at pi/2 (90 degrees) and I was thinking of adjusting it.

I went and put what I have so far here. Put the files in folder together, download Love and drag the folder onto its executable to run it. I've changed it only minimally since I posted last night that I was going to clean it up so beware. Aside from that, there's a bunch of math that should be done once and cached instead of done every frame, and at very long distances the textures become fullbright because the shading math I'm using goes into the negatives past 32 tiles. Also I think the FOV needs tweaking. Controls are WASD to move.

Also, there's no clipping because if I do end up using it it's actually for a non-FPS project but that can be done by taking the calculated co-ordinates of the next move, doing math.floor([x/y]/64) to get the tile co-ordinate, and then checking it against the map data before choosing to accept the move or not.

If there's demand I'll do a cleanup/commenting pass on it and post that soon.

Prenton posted:

I bolted a raycaster onto that free remake of Paradroid years back:

Poke around in src/3dgfx.c if you want, but it's hella crusty. It still vaguely works, but the turning speed is screwed up and you'll need a new copy of the sdl_mixer 1.2 libs to get any sound for some reason.

There apparently were plans for a proper 3D Paradroid at some point: bad quality video here

That's neat, are you drawing scaled images to do the floor and ceiling or casting rays to it? C is my best language but I'm terribly bad at reading other people's code.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 14, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, so more like the Doom engine then rather than a strict wolf3d raycaster? That's a thought.

Yeah, if I can't figure out why the performance is so erratic I don't want to be casting more rays, even if it deviate from the spirit of the technology.

I mean I enabled the text console to see if I was getting any warnings and it was giving me a perfect smooth 60 FPS, and then I alt-tab to check something, and then go back and it's giving me 40-50 which is still an improvement over the 20-30 I was getting earlier, but still.

I like Lua and Love but unless I can figure out that I'm doing something terribly wrong I might get started on a C implementation.

Edit: Also, adjusting the FOV to 60 fixes the perspective somewhat.

Prenton posted:

Casting rays, but with a shitload of lookup tables (how far in front of the player the floor is for each screen y position, some pre-multiplied out maths for each possible player rotation, etc, etc). So it won't work if you need to alter the player height, or if the player isn't exactly halfway between the floor and ceiling.

Ah, neat. Yeah, I was hoping to implement some camera effects (height and limited angle, for cinematics) so I can't use that trick.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 14, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So I went and redid my raycaster somewhat. The source is here. Download the 3 lua files, put them in a folder, and drag them onto LOVE's love.exe.

I fixed all of the known issues, tidyed it up, and added a lot of comments in case someone wants to experiment with a raycaster. It also has support for multiple textures, but I have textures turned off by default in the code there because I don't have the rights to distribute any of the textures I was using. They can be re-enabled easily though.

I completely redid the raycast algorithm. Instead of casting two rays, one for checking for horizontal collisions and one for vertical collisions, it sends out just one. This way I can later keep track of all of the things that aren't walls that it touches, which helps because one of the things I want to experiment is with partial-height wall tiles.

Also, all constants are stored as variables at the top of scaster.lua so you can make walls thin or tall or whatever. I need to add viewer height so that the player doesn't also get scaled with wall height, so there can be tall levels like Rise of the Triad.

To do is a proper map format, sprites, floor, and ceiling textures. I'll probably also put together a game demo with clipping, a HUD, visible gun, and such once I at least have a map format and sprites done.

For some reason I get only about 20 FPS, but it goes up to 60 if and only if I have a youtube video playing. Who the gently caress knows, I blame LOVE :v:

Prenton posted:

I bolted a raycaster onto that free remake of Paradroid years back:

Poke around in src/3dgfx.c if you want, but it's hella crusty. It still vaguely works, but the turning speed is screwed up and you'll need a new copy of the sdl_mixer 1.2 libs to get any sound for some reason.

There apparently were plans for a proper 3D Paradroid at some point: bad quality video here

I went back and looked at the game you made this for, and wow :stare: looks really great.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

XenoCrab posted:

I was also inspired by that Javascript raycaster, so I've been working on porting it to C++ using SFML for output:

Clearly not as advanced as BattleMaster's, but it's always fun to do a new thing. Hopefully I'll get it to do something more interesting than drawing green walls, but based on experience I'll probably get bored in a day or two now that I've got the basics working :v:.

I'm running into speed issues with floor drawing so you may well have an edge up on me. I might have to get around to redoing it in C++ with SDL and OpenGL now that I have the math worked out but I don't have the time for that with school.

Edit: I've been experimenting with calling lua from my own C/C++ programs lately so I might just make my own specialized renderer that uses GL_LINES for the walls and GL_POINTS for the floor/ceiling, and just use the same lua code with the calls to LOVE replaced. My bottleneck isn't the math or the walls but LOVE chokes on drawing all the points for the floor.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 17, 2015