Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

InterFaced posted:

AEoD is a lot of fun. I was actually a little surprised when I saw what cacoaward it won http://www.doomworld.com/17years/others.php :smith:

I mean its not like its trying to be some games as art highbrow masterpiece. Its just supposed to be a lot of fun stuff, and it is.

The criticism on the forums boiled down to "this is demeaning to me as a map maker because it means the player is not playing the map the way I designed it."

In other words, just anti-fun elitism. I don't know why the Doomworld forums have such a monopoly on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

JackMackerel posted:

Is that Nefaria RPG mod for DN3D worth checking out? The RPG elements look like a worthwhile gimmick, but it looks bizarre to play.

This video contains all you need to know about Nefaria's Reign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcnt8MAMMf0

Just play War of Attrition.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I have no idea what Mman means by side room. In the first level you need to find three switches scattered around the level and kick them. Use the map to make sure you've searched in every room. After they are turned on, the floor in one of the rooms will open up to a warp to the second level.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

I asked this over in the steam thread but I thought I'd ask here too. If I just wanted to get one of the Doom games should I get one or two? I've never played either and I was interested in what was generally considered to be the best. I doubt they're different enough to warrant buying both for me.

They are both the best.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Purple D. Link posted:

I'm trying to play Doom mods, but whatever I start one I end up in either Doom or Doom 2 with the mod's hud, weapons and enemies. I'm using GZDoom.

EDIT: I just tried Action Doom and it worked fine. So wads seem to work but not pk3 files. I imagine I'm just doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

What are the mods you are trying to use, and how are you starting the game with them? Also, are you using the latest GZDoom svn? If not, get it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Mr_Person posted:

But it doesn't. :confused:

It does. Try moving up next to a wall and shooting any of the bullet weapons. They all do damage to you. I can't think of any good gameplay reason for this.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ToxicFrog posted:

That seems like it would go really well with Brutal Doom.

Brutal Doom + 10x mod + No Rest For The Living + Ultraviolence = :suicide:

I died when the Hellknights came out.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Chinook posted:

A year or so back, in an older FPS thread, I was introduced to a mod/addon for Doom which used a bit of actual jumping, big levels, lots of enemies, and so on. I can't remember the name, and I'm not sure I'm seeing it on the list in the OP. Shot in the dark...

Perfect time to download GZDoom and go to town looking up WADS! I suggest starting off with The Ultimate Torment & Torture.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

WickedIcon posted:

Too lazy to watch right now, but the fact that he actually made an LP and it was good enough to get archived shows that he clearly didn't have the same problem I did (having absolutely no goddamn clue where to go because everywhere looks like a horse shat all over it).

As ClonedPickle says (and why iastudent linked it), the LP is just one big rip on Quake 2. It is only half-seriously played, with an amateur analysis of why it was inferior to earlier games and an analogue of Daikatana built under a polar opposite design philosophy.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

RickVoid posted:

Any single-player TC's for Doom that have come out recently that are worth a look? Stronghold is epic, but I've tried looking around for something with a similar level of polish and, well... There's a lot of crap out there.

You can look at the recent Cacowards, though it will be a bit before the 2011 awards are up. The Wads forum will generally catch anything we don't post here, since the creators want to pimp their stuff there.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Shadowmorn posted:

So me and a buddy finished up with Back to Saturn X with Brutal Doom, and god drat it was a blast.

Would like to know if the author has the music setup anywhere for download, so many catchy tracks. And if anyone knows how to get to the secret level, the level that you need to be on to access it would be appreciated unless more details are kinda needed. :3:

You can use SLADE to export the midi files from the wad, then play them through a midi player or use a program to convert it to another file type like mp3. Any wad can have its music unpacked.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

redmercer posted:

How exactly do you install Reelism? I've got everything it asks for including a SVN version of gzdoom. There's no documentation and everywhere I look hurts

Drag and drop the .pk7 file onto the gzdoom exe. Select Doom 2 from the drop-down list of wads that come up. Every .wad, .pk3 and .pk7 can be played this way.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Mak0rz posted:

Who do you think the protagonist is in Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny? ;)

No, he said nazi alternate reality. Those games were based off real events.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I was playing UT3 on a laptop that had a Gears of War advertisement covering half the space in front of the keyboard when I opened the box. No points for guessing where Epic Games's attention has been the past 6 years.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Why not give him the Doom 2 wad?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
First impression of Tower of Guns is pretty rough for me. It is a bullet-hell-esque game with a first person perspective, so everything that bounces around the level and/or leaves some persistent area of effect can get you easily since you don't have any kind of peripheral vision, and accuracy is heavily de-emphasized given the giant proportions and slow (or completely static) movement of most enemies. The Binding of Isaac namedrop feels more like hanging onto its coattails than an appropriate comparison - Isaac is focused on resource management and has a sliding scale between heavy decision making in the earlygame to heavy action gameplay in the lategame, while right now Tower of Guns is just straight run & gun with the only decisions being whether to buy some item or hang onto your money.

I paid 3 dollars so I don't feel burned at all, but it probably isn't going to be up to snuff for its full price any time soon.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

KozmoNaut posted:

No items, Fox only, Final Destination.

Rocket Arena, Hossman only, Q3DM17: The Longest Yard.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

JackMackerel posted:

On top of that, publishers (especially 2K and Ubisoft) hate modding, for some reason

You can thank the rise of DLC for that. Modding in new content for games, even if it is just reskins, is perceived to take away potential profit from the publisher releasing their own new content. It also becomes a source of piracy if you are able to easily drag and drop DLC files into your game directory that would normally cost money to purchase.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Top Gym Pumper posted:

I played Chex Quest today for the first time since it came out and it was pretty sweet. Are there any good map packs that work with it?

I don't know about any Chex Quest maps, but the weapons of Chex Quest can be easily used in any map wads that don't have gameplay changes just by also loading the Samsara mod. It has separate weaponpacks of various early FPSes like Chex Quest, Heretic, Marathon, etc.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

areyoucontagious posted:

I started playing Heretic again, and it feels like the ethereal crossbow's damage varies wildly. There will be times when it takes like 3 arrows to kill a golem or fire gargoyle, but then other times when I nick an enemy with the smaller projectile and it kills it. Also, Heretic's aesthetic is wonderful :unsmigghh:

"When fired, it launches a spread of three bolts, the central one dealing 10-80 damage and the other two dealing 2-16, for a total of 14-112 damage." - Doom Wiki

I think Doom engine games have pretty wide ranges of damage in general, but it is much more noticeable with the crossbow since it has such a comparatively low rate of fire and projectile count.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Elliotw2 posted:

Did he build an SNES emulator inside of Doom? Holy poo poo.

Ha ha, no, Donkey Kong and Megaman X look way better than that. It is mods using ripped sprites.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Does Golden Souls get far better after Sorbetto Beach? The first level was decent but really filler-ish with the plants slowing down your progress, then level 2 felt too short and gimmicky with things like the rocket launcher bridge, but the level 3 red coin hunt feel like an absolute nadir in compelling level design.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Perfect Dark is the exception to the hand grenade rule.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Johnny Law posted:

I don't think PS has PVE or "quests". (Although it's been a long time since I played.)

Because no one actually wants to do Exclamation Mark quests in an FPS.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Adam Bowen posted:

None of those are really a good FPS analog to WoW. Planetside has the scale, but lacks everything to do with PvE or exploration. Defiance has the PvE and a bit of exploration but completely lacks in scale and has very barebones questing. Destiny is absurdly short and you hardly even see other players when out in the world, and it lacks any sort of social aspects whatsoever. I don't really count stuff like Tabula Rasa because that was more like WoW with a crosshair than a proper FPS. A real MMOFPS with RPG elements just hasn't happened yet.

Neocron was way back in 2002, and for a more recent example there is the recently released FireFall which is a modern MMOFPS with PVE and exclamation mark quests.

I just don't see how that is a meaningful distinction rather than semantics when we are talking about Romero's fascination with the idea. It is not a novel idea, it has been done many times, it just hasn't caught on to the mainstream except in some limited capacities.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 10, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

lurker1981 posted:

*** I like to pretend the second Duke game never happened.

Duke Nukem 2 was loving great, what are you talking about

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Shadow Hog posted:

So I'm rectifying a serious oversight in my retro FPS career: I have never beaten The Plutonia Experiment before. Doom, yes. Doom 2, yes. TNT: Evilution, yes. Plutonia, no. I always seem to run out of steam at some point.

Let's hope I actually finish the drat thing this time. Gotten up to "Hunted", at least...

Plutonia isn't a very good wad and you shouldn't feel like you have a moral obligation to push through it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

RyokoTK posted:

I take umbrage to a self-styled classic FPS having vehicle combat

:monocle:

It looks really good, and like a whole lotta game for fifteen dollars.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Quake 2 done so quick you can't enjoy the music, which is the only good part of that game.

HL1 was done last time at about 40 minutes, but there was a segmented speedrun later that got 20 minutes. It is dizzying how much momentum that one used to sequence-break, I'd love to see it done live and commented.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I tried playing Scythe 2 with that mod.

I didn't get very far :(

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I just noticed after 20+ years, the super shotgun in Doom II is reloaded seemingly with two left hands :psyduck:

His right hand is staying on the grip, unseen. The left hand moves off the forend to grab the shells and place them in the barrels, though at a super-human speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'm replaying Quake 1 on nightmare and I get the feeling that methodical and twitchy gameplay are both applicable - depending on whether you know the map. If you don't know the map then you don't know the monster teleports/closets or environmental hazards, so you're forced to creep up slowly for fear of activating another Shambler teleport right in front of you without being ready for it. If you know the map then you know that there are a lot of fights you don't have to take, and it is often better for your health and ammo just to keep running towards the goal.

For actually fighting enemies, the optimal strategy is usually popping out of corners, since the nastiest attacks are area-denial (Ogre), homing (Vore), or charging lightning-gun (Shambler).