Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Aleph One has gone a bit too far up its own rear end. I don't care about stuff like advanced lighting or 3d models, but at the very least it should have mouse controls that don't suck rear end and a menu you can access from ingame. The lack of those two things in particular has pretty much guaranteed that anyone trying the game for the first time now will be driven away.

I'm actually working on a Marathon style mod, but I'm doing it in Doom because I just don't want to have to deal with Aleph One's lovely controls and physics, not to mention the lack of something like DECORATE to let me easily define the behaviors of enemies and the world.

Lork fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

The Kins posted:

:eng101: Difficulty Education Time! :eng101:
Doom is weird in that as far as level design is concerned, there's only three difficulty levels - Easy, Medium and Hard. The easiest and hardest settings just pile modifiers onto the existing difficulty levels.

I'm Too Young To Die: Easy thing placement, double ammo, player damage halved.
Hey, Not Too Rough: Easy thing placement.
Hurt Me Plenty: Normal thing placement.
Ultra-Violence: Hard thing placement.
Nightmare!: Hard thing placement, double ammo, fast monsters, respawning monsters, cheats disabled.

Nightmare was added as a joke in a patch. It's there purely to hurt you.
I like Duke3D's interpretation of nightmare, which lets you stop enemies from respawning by blowing up their corpses.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Chinook posted:

Bummer, it looks like no one has a link. Doom2.net is still down, and I can't find the music using google. (All forums post I find link to that site which is not active). If anyone throws them up on a site for me I'll sing their praises.
Doom 64 EX gets the music straight from the rom, so if you're not hearing it, there's a problem with either the port itself or the rom you're using. Have you tried checking the options to see if the music volume was turned all the way down or something?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Chinook posted:

Yeah. The instructions point out that I should go get music from that site. I don't hear any music and I've played with the settings. Oh well.

It's very different than Doom, though, the game itself. Seems sort of clunky, but I'm going to try it out and see what people like about it.
I have Doom 64 EX and it has the music out of the box and no instructions to download it from anywhere. Are you sure you didn't get the really old remake version (called Absolution TC) by mistake?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

1.) Playing in Direct3D mode is making all 3D graphics stretch out towards the top left corner of the screen for some reason, obscuring everything horribly and making it impossible to play.
I remember having a problem like that. The solution I found involved using a commandline switch to enable advanced video options and messing with some renderer settings.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

pumpinglemma posted:

Gah. I've just played through Doom with Brutal Doom, loved it, and now I'm trying to get hold of Doom 2. The hitch is that I'm on Linux, and as far as I know Doom 2 is only available through this new-fangled Steam thingamajig. It seems to want me to install software that doesn't work on Linux before it will let me buy things. Is there a way I can just give someone money and get the IWAD in exchange? This shouldn't be hard. :(
http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom2/index8fb4.html?game_section=buy

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I don't really like the direction Brutal Doom has been taking lately. It seems like they're running out of things to do that can be considered straight upgrades and are starting to make changes just for the sake of making changes. Like the new shotgun sprite that looks way too similar to the assault rifle; does that really need to be there? The new imp sounds (which are from Doom 3 by the way) I can take or leave, but the possessed zombie chatter is really obnoxious and doesn't belong in Doom at all. This is all stuff that is very much up to personal taste, which would be fine if it was in smaller mods that people could download if they wanted them, but I don't think it belongs in what I and probably many other people consider to be the "flagship" Doom mod.

closeted republican posted:

Ah poo poo. :smith: Well, someone should at least post yours or mine to the OP so that people won't ask about it in the future.
Don't feel too bad. Yours is a better implementation than his because it works with any version of Brutal Doom and doesn't need to be updated when new ones come out. I'd say it definitely merits a link in the OP.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The reason I have a problem with the new zombie sounds and the shotgun sprite specifically is that they both negatively impact the gameplay. The assault rifle and shotgun look so similar at a glance that I've actually mistaken one for the other in the heat of battle on multiple occasions. The zombie sounds are so loud and omnipresent that they drown out all the other sounds, including the important sound cues that closeted republican mentioned.

Conversely, I don't care one way or the other about the imp sounds, because they're still distinct from all the other sounds in the game, so if you hear them you can tell that there's an imp nearby. I'd question whether anybody was asking for them to be changed, but at least they don't hurt the game by their inclusion.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm guessing it's worth the $5 that Doom 3 currently costs, then?
Much like everything by Brendon Chung, it's great while it lasts, but it ends right when it really starts to get going. It's more like a re-imagining of what the demo for Pathways would've been if there had been one than a full remake.

I don't know where that guy got the idea that it was really obscure, though. It's probably one of the more well known Doom 3 mods due to being made by the guy who did Gravity Bone.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Samsara is kind of what I always wanted Aeons of Death to be. I wish Duke's freezthrower was replaced by the expander or the plasma gun from Duke64 or something though. Anything other than the freezethrower; that thing has always sucked.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

RyokoTK posted:

What part of Infinity trips you up?

Every time I replay Infinity I get slowed down by Acme Station, the vacuum level. I always play on the hardest setting, and the level is nearly impossible as a result. There's a way to skip that and a few other levels, but I hate doing that.
I beat Acme Station on total carnage once. Never again. The worst is when you get all the way through Acme and just barely scrape by with a sliver of oxygen left, only to die immediately on arrival at Post Naval Trauma. Who's idea was it to have two vacuum levels in a row anyway?

I actually think the combat in Marathon is the deepest and most satisfying of any Doom style game, which is why it's a real shame they had to stick it in a bunch of annoying levels full of stupid bullshit like underwater mazes, floaty jumping puzzles over lava and switch hunts in a vacuum. The first Marathon is actually my favourite game in the series just because it has the least of that poo poo. Well, and the music helps too.

Lork fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 24, 2012

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

RyokoTK posted:

Apologies for the double-post.

I just released the new version of Marathon: Phoenix (1.2.1) which has some real gameplay improvements.

No one really responded the last time I posted about it -- the pool of Marathon players is pretty drat small -- but it's worth another shot. :shobon:
I didn't mention this before because I uh... didn't get around to it, but Marathon: Phoenix and the Kill Them All series are my favourite Marathon scenarios.

Even if I did rage quit both of them because I got fed up with Aleph One's lovely mouse controls. I wish there was some way to import scenarios into the XBLA port; at this point that seems like a more feasible thing to hope for than actually getting decent controls in A1.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Convex posted:

And on that topic, the Thief trilogy is today's daily deal on Steam. All 3 at 75% off, £4.74 here in the UK.
Thanks for the heads up. I already owned Thief 1 and 2, but it's such a gigantic pain in the rear end to get the cd versions to work right that it's worth the $7 for me. They never want to recognize that the CD is in the drive, and the nocd fixes always conflict with the fan patches to make them work on modern computers.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Does anybody have a link to that goon made tutorial for Doom Builder 2? I found it really helpful and easy to follow, but I lost interest at some point. Now I'm interested in picking it up again, but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm working on a mod that replaces the weapons and monsters, but it changes the gameplay in fundamental ways that basically require any level it's played on to be designed for it. The only problem is that I don't really have much of a talent for or interest in level design beyond a purely abstract/gameplay sense, so while I have a a few good combat arenas that show off the new gameplay pretty well, they're ugly as gently caress, and making them into something that looks good enough to show to other people is going to be a real struggle for me. I can't really expect anyone else to make levels for my own stupid thing though, so I'm just going to muddle through it myself as best I can and hopefully come up with something presentable in the end.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
That's the one I was thinking of, thanks.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Hey SavageMessiah, QLGZD is this close to being the perfect answer to my desire to run ZDoom mods through Steam but for one issue: Why does it force you to choose an iwad in the launcher? ZDoom already knows what to do if you launch it without specifying an iwad, and the fact that QLGZD uses a set list means that you're completely unable to use custom iwads like Chex Quest or Harmony with it.

Good work otherwise, though.

Lork fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 14, 2012

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

SavageMessiah posted:

No reason really, just the way I made it. What's the name of the chex quest and harmony iwads? I'll add them to the supported list.
iwads that I have which aren't supported:

action2.wad (Action Doom 2)
chex3.wad (Chex Quest)
HACX.WAD (Hacx 1.2)
harm1.wad (Harmony)
hexdd.wad (Hexen expansion... I think this isn't actually an iwad but zdoom treats it like one)

Anyway, I think that if it's not hard to do for whatever reason, the easiest solution to catch anything that I've missed or that might come up in the future would be to add a [None] option to the list. That way you could also cut down on bloat if you think something's not important enough to go on the list.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Cat Mattress posted:

Try setting Scale text in high res to "double". For the alternate HUD, you also have hud_althudscale which you can set to 2.
"Scale text in high res" will deal with message text and dialogue, but to get the rest of the HUD to properly scale you need to type "hud_scale true" into the console. Turn both of those on and everything will be nice and readable at any resolution. As for why this essential option is hidden behind a console command and turned off by default.... Your guess is as good as mine.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
It is for newer versions of (G)ZDoom, but it was a recent addition, so it's not there for Skulltag/Zandronum, although you can still enable it using the console.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Yodzilla posted:

They should have kept the dopey cartoonish guard faces.
That horrible Barney face is my favourite lovely pre-release asset of all time (a crowded genre, to be sure). It's so bad. I can't believe somebody actually made that and thought "Yes, this is good enough to keep! People will look at screenshots of this and want to buy our game!"

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The regular shotgun in Doom 3 is more like the super shotgun from Doom 2 than it is like anything else. Ludicrously short range, powerful enough to kill even some medium sized enemies in one shot at point blank range, and slow as hell to refire.

gooby on rails posted:

Yeah, that should work. You should be able to trigger one on each side of you and deal with them, then move on and engage the contents of the room with no one sneaking up behind you.
Yeah, it's technically possible to run into that room guns blazing and survive, but luring the S'pht out by running underneath and then immediately running back is definitely the way to go. That's how I beat it on total carnage.

Lork fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 1, 2013

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

ToxicFrog posted:

This. This is what I love about what, for lack of a better term, I will call "pre-Half-Life level design". This is what made Thief, System Shock, Deus Ex, Pathways into Darkness, and Marathon amazing for me. Levels that are spaces you can explore rather than just a linear sequence of encounters.

Corridor shooters can be fun too, but what I really, really like is exploration.

Along those lines, I've long considered Looking Glass Studios to be the masters of that sort of level design, and I've been working on a tool to generate nice HTML5 maps of System Shock levels. It still needs a lot of work - the layer toggles don't do anything yet, for example, and slope-implied walls aren't drawn yet - but you can still get a good view of most of the levels.

Deck 1: Medical is actually one of the most linear maps in the game; there's a fairly unambiguous "intended path" through the level. At the same time, there's a lot of side branches, shortcuts to unlock that make the level more interconnected (and some that you can use without unlocking from the "far side" first), and glimpses of goodies that you won't be able to get until you circle back around with more keycards, access codes, or lowered level security.

On the flip side, you have Deck 7: Ops, which gives you a bunch of objectives to accomplish and lets you explore the map in pretty much any order you want.

I think System Shock is pretty much the pinnacle of this style of level design, although one could plausibly argue the Thief games instead.

Half-Life 1 and 2.
Whoa now, while I agree that System Shock's level design is incredible, let's make once thing clear. The way you explore a System Shock level is not even remotely the same as the way you do in games with what I would call "pre Half-Life" level design like Doom, Quake, Marathon and so on. The former has a relatively logical layout and provides you with clues like signs on the walls and hints in the dialogue which you can use to explore the world intelligently, rather than just blindly stumbling through it like you do in the arbitrary mazes of the latter.

The Looking Glass style of level design is a unique evolutionary offshoot (stemming from Ultima Underworld I think) and something to be cherished. The keycard hunts of yore, on the other hand are gone for a reason as far as I'm concerned.

Lork fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 3, 2013

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Mak0rz posted:

Sorry, you didn't. :smith:
Nope, he made the better choice by far. Duke64 was secretly the best way to play Dukematches, and as long as you had at least 2 other friends to play it with, had way more potential for fun than Doom64.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Keiya posted:

The gameplay thing doesn't really hold up, just define the limits in new DECORATE fields or whatever. The effort thing does though.
You are vastly overestimating the scope and power of DECORATE if you think it can be used to make anything even roughly approximating Descent style movement.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Ah, that makes more sense. Unfortunately I think that's pretty unlikely to happen. The creator of ZDoom has flat out refused to implement (or allow the inclusion of) some features that many people have asked for because they weren't "in the spirit of Doom" or something like that, and this one is even less Doom-like than some of those.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

The Kins posted:

Animal Popes and other non-human messengers of higher powers all have different abilities. Dogs have the bee thing, sheep can levitate for brief periods, bears have low-level telepathy and cats don't have one after that whole incident with The Unspeakable One.

Also, I started hacking together a dumb little thing for Samsara. Very early so far, but it could be neat. :)
I don't know about the other games, but I've been working with the resources from Marathon a lot lately, so if you have any problems with those I might be able to help you out.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Dominic White posted:

While it doesn't include Xen yet, you really should check out Black Mesa Source. Fan-made remake (with Valve's official blessing - when it's complete it'll be on Steam for free) which really does improve on the original in a lot of ways.
Don't do this. While BMS is an OK last resort if you absolutely can't stand the graphics of the old game or something, it plays worse than the original in many ways. At the very least you should play the original first so you can have a context for what was "updated" in BMS when you do play it.

As for your issues with the difficulty, I don't know what you read but I'm pretty sure it's completely untrue. While the game does have two rolling autosaves, the save points are static and pretty infrequent, and have no effect on your health. You're just going to have to grit your teeth and quicksave your way through it like we did in the 90s.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Narcissus1916 posted:

And to further the metaphor, even though some of the songs definitely sound antiquated and with fare more static than I remember, its still one hell of an album.
They may have fixed it by now but I heard that the Steam version of Half-Life has much lower quality music (as in lower bitrate) than the original CD tracks, so there might literally be more static than you remember.

Yodzilla posted:

Isn't that how it was in the original Half-Life? Or am I confusing that with the glitch that let you fire off all of your bullets at once.
You're thinking of Half-Life 2 in both cases.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

xanthan posted:

So I got the old Descent games on GoG.

Using a 360 controller.
Left stick for pitch and yaw, triggers for throttle, bumpers for banking left and right, B for primary, clicking left stick for dropping bombs, Y for secondary, A for afterburner(what is it?), X for flares(are they important?), and the right stick for sliding.

Is this going to work fine for 1 and 2? What about 3?

I mean it SEEMED to work fine for the first level of one.
I played through all of Descent 1 and 2 with a buddy last year using a 360 controller and it worked great. You're going to want to set the throttle to left trigger and reverse to left bumper so you can use the right trigger and bumper for primary and secondary fire if you want to be able to shoot while moving, though. There's a button that converts yaw into roll, so you can set that to Y and hold it down to let you use the left stick for banking. I don't remember anything beyond that but everything else should be relatively simple and up to your preference.

Descent 3 is garbage and you shouldn't play it, so don't even worry about getting the pad to work with that.

Lork fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 10, 2013

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Colon Semicolon posted:

Well gently caress you too buddy! I don't get how it's garbage with all the times I've played it, it's pretty fun, with a few bullshit moments here and there. Though if you insist on thinking so, give it a shot with the Pyromania mod or something else that changes up the gameplay a bit.
I didn't know anybody actually liked that game. It just seemed like a textbook case of 90s PC game excess gone horribly wrong to me. Massively overcomplicated controls for no good reason, gigantic empty, boring levels because bigger is better, obnoxious enemies that constantly zip around in random directions "just like a real deathmatch player!" and so on. If you liked it then maybe there's something to it, but the game has a bad habit of crashing every five minutes on every computer I've ever tried it on, so I'll never find out for myself.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

thegloaming posted:

I'm playing through the "essential" FPSes. I started with Doom 2 and just beat Hexen; now I'm onto Marathon 2. I played the first two games using Chocolate Doom, but there's no equivalent for Marathon 2. Is there any way I can make Aleph One resemble the original Marathon 2 engine?
Aleph One already resembles the original Marathon 2 engine way too much for its own good. What exactly would you want changed to make it more like the original?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

thegloaming posted:

OK. I've never played M2 on A1; only M1, which is quite different from the original (at least by default). According to the official site, M2A1 has an option for the classic graphics, so I guess that answers my question!
Oh, are they packing in updated graphics now? Yeah, if you turn those off it should play virtually identical to the original.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Zaphod42 posted:

I've played Shadows of Mystarra and the other D&D one, they're okay but each character only gets a couple moves, and even for all the cool D&D style level up and inventory mechanics, you really don't have many more tactical options. Levelling is a passive upgrade that just makes you all-around better, and happens naturally over time. A few items are useful, but that's it. Class variety is cool though, gives it replayability, but during a single run through you don't have many more options than you would in like a Turtles game. Beat guys, and try not to get hit, but you can't really control that so well. Gimme some dodge moves! Gimme some combos! Magic is cool, but Golden Axe had that way back in the day, its just a special "bomb". That is at least something tactical though, you can save them for when you really need them.
Sounds like you need to play those games again. There are dodge moves, various attacks for every situation, special moves for each character, about a billion different spells and items with all sorts of different uses (way more than just "bombs") and all sorts of crazy stuff you can do if you play in coop. Granted the controls could be a little awkward due to the way they tried to cram them all into so few buttons (I almost never used the block/counter due to how awkward it was to execute, for example), but there's plenty there if you look for it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
You could also grab the lines from Duke 64 while you're at it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
It's a shame about the Rage engine. The idea of an engine that automatically displays the best possible graphical quality a machine can handle while maintaining a steady framerate with no need for manual tweaking by the user is one that really speaks to me. It ended up not working out with Rage due to it being optimized for the strengths of consoles rather than PCs, but I feel like the idea was good enough to get another shot. Unfortunately it looks like that's not going to happen now.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Mak0rz posted:

The one-stick control schemes of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Quake 64 were very intuitive and fluid, which is especially true for the two Rare shooters. Doom 64 was pretty good, if you want to count that too, but it's a bit simpler considering there's no Y-axis aming to worry about. The Iguana games (Turok, South Park, and Forsaken) had control schemes that were really cumbersome and left something to be desired. Turok 1 and South Park weren't much of a problem, but Turok 2 and Forsaken required a lot of precise shooting and moving, leaving you wrestling with the controls (not to mention fighting the framerates and awful auto-aim too). I haven't played Turok 3 but I hear it used a more Goldeneye-like control scheme. However that was kind of not anyone's concern because apparently the game turned out poo poo :v:

Really the N64 paved the road for FPS games on consoles. I know someone that had an FPS for the Playstation called Codename: Tenka. I couldn't play that worth poo poo.
What are you even talking about? If you actually go back and try to play games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, you'll find that they're basically unplayable unless you go into the options and change the control scheme to the one that approximates Turok. Turok's controls are basically the granddaddy of the dual stick scheme that is used in pretty much every console shooter today.

Of course, even with a more sensible control scheme, with an analog stick you still couldn't hit the broad side of a barn without taking forever to line up your shot or taking advantage of the extremely generous and invasive auto-aim in those games. That didn't change until the advent of Halo's "Sticky aim". That's the real star innovation of Halo's controls - the "Aim assist" solution that made it easy to shoot things with (relative) precision without compromising your ability to turn or aiming for you. The basic layout that everybody attributes to it (turning with one stick and moving with the other) is just extrapolated from Turok.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
That screenshot of the PS1 version of Quake 2 just looks like Quake 2 in software mode to me. Is there really no source port that replicates that look? I guess you could just try to get stock standard Q2 working and play it that way. If anything, turning off hardware acceleration would probably make it less likely to be incompatible with your newer hardware.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

foozwak posted:

Question of my own, and this may be borderline but I dunno, it's eleven years old now - felt like getting my nostalgia on and playing some Nazi whack-a-mole with the original Call of Duty, but it absolutely refuses to run, will always quit with "could not load opengl". All googling gets me is ancient stuff from years ago, almost all having to do with ATI cards (using a nvidia card now). What is especially strange is that CoD:UO is also installed but runs absolutely fine. Anyone ever have to deal with this and figure it out?
I don't know if they bothered to make a PC version, but there was an "HD Re-Release" of the original CoD that came out alongside one of the recent ones, so that may be your best bet.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I think they're confusing respawning health pickups with auto-regenerating health.
That kind of reductive argument to prove that such and such game was "first" to have some innovation with no regard for or understanding of the context in which it is used or the details of its implementation is the kind of childish poo poo you would expect from Gamefaqs or NeoGAF anyway.

X-Wings used energy shields to deflect projectiles before Halo did, therefore Halo is unoriginal!

Rogue had regenerating health in 1980, therefore Call of Duty is a Roguelike!

Primitive man used torches to light rooms since before recorded history, therefore Thomas Edison is a hack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I would've said Nikola Tesla (which apparently is also apocrypha?), but, you know, no need to complicate the joke.

Lork fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 7, 2014