Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

NovaPolice posted:

I would say War of Attrition does the same central gimmick (rpg stats and gear with modified/new enemies in the original Duke Nukem levels and new maps) more elegantly.

Nefaria's Reign is more interesting in the baffling trainwreck sort of way, where you have a party composed of Duke Nukem, Lo Wang, the Sailor Scouts, Bubsy the Bobcat, and the mod author's fanfiction characters shooting occasionally invincible monsters with loads of stats and buying several dozen power-ups, many of which work for only one character.

It is absolutely the strangest, most internet mod I've ever seen. It's like mainlining a deviantart account into an artery.

Not sure if I covered this in the previous thread, but since we're on fresh ground here I figure I'll step in out of the shadows and confirm that this is the product of a less-than-functional mind. I used to talk to the guy who's doing NR a lot back in the day, and looking back I am surprised that I never really caught on to how absolutely off the guy was. He also made EarthBound Doom, which was notoriously crap and was another weird hodgepodge mixed bag that even he ended up admitting was terrible.

For an idea, I am 22 and he is somewhere between 4-8 years older than me. Last I heard, he was STILL living with his parents. Not completely sure but I think his parents still actively tell him what he can and can't do--kinda got this vibe a couple times during some of our shadier dealings back in the day. If that is the case, it's not really that out of line though considering he's kinda still mentally a kid. The thing about the fan fiction characters is absolutely true, and the thing is that he hasn't moved out of his obsession with his fanfics in the nearly ten years I've known him. He's barely changed at all, in fact.

This is a dude, by the way, who is making this mod that seems to be majority female characters. He's one of those guys; more comfortable writing female characters. I'm not sure if she's in it, but his Sandra Polestar character has literally assloads of backstory that he spent years and years developing. Even when I was also into fan fiction and enjoyed talking to the guy I still couldn't be assed to wade through the poo poo because it was basically page upon page of word salad about a character that essentially boiled down to a tabletop RPG character in terms of use.

We went down a pretty strange path at one point and it was after this whole sordid affair that cost me $200 or so in saved lunch money at age 15 or so that I kind of started cooling off on the whole thing. It wasn't long before I really started to realize how weird the guy was and, by extent, how weird parts of my own life were becoming. By the time I was getting out of high school I basically lost contact with the guy, but I accidentally initiated conversation with him on AIM trying to send a link to myself a year or two ago and it was literally like talking to the same dude I did back in 2002.

I could probably dredge up a whole treasure trove of the dude's weirdness, but this probably isn't the place for it. Didn't mean to get all Helldump here, but I figured it would kind of explain things to bring it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So, I finally got a chance to download Unreal Gold today along with a bunch of other games I got during Steam's Summer Camp sale, (Deus Ex: GOTY and iD Super Pack included) and I'm really enjoying revisiting it. However, I noticed something odd. Earlier in the thread, somebody mentioned this, a DirectX 10 renderer for Unreal Gold and Deus Ex. The problem is that it apparently only works with Vista or higher. Being on XP, is there any imaginable way to get this to work? As it is, it doesn't crash as it says it should but instead seems to launch into software mode instead.

The renderer source code is available, so if nothing else, would it be possible to compile a version to run in XP?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

fishmech posted:

Eh, doesn't the game itself run fine in XP? Why do you want to run a DirectX 10 renderer for it when you probably don't have a DirectX 10 card and in an OS that will never support DirectX 10?

My card DOES support DX10. I was not aware, however, that Windows XP doesn't support DX10. Guess that solves that mystery!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Sombrerotron posted:

I don't believe Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight has been mentioned yet. To paraphrase: it may not look like much, but it's got it where it counts, kid. Really good - huge - level design, 'classic' FPS mechanics (i.e. fast movement, twitch-aiming), character customisation, a storyline that branches into a Light and Dark Side endgame, quality hammy FMV cutscenes, and of course Jedi 'n poo poo before all that stuff became completely daft and boring. Challenging, atmospheric, and definitely worth the time of any FPS enthusiast.

If you're interested, The Massassi Temple is still online (huge repository of maps and mods), and there's also some good stuff at JK Hub; check out JK Enhanced anyway, it greatly improves a large number of models and textures in the game.

I just remembered I had the discs for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II sitting around and reinstalled it with the intention of playing using JK Enhanced. However, I'm experiencing a couple of bugs that make this impossible:

1.) Playing in Direct3D mode is making all 3D graphics stretch out towards the top left corner of the screen for some reason, obscuring everything horribly and making it impossible to play.

2.) Despite how the "Reverse mouse input" button is ticked, both axises are stuck in reverse. Up is down, left is right.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It seems to do this even without the unofficial patch or JK Enhanced installed so it's not a problem with both of those. The only answers I found were "play with 3D acceleration off" which I can't do if I want to use JK Enhanced and "click the reverse mouse input" button which doesn't seem to fix anything at all.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Sombrerotron posted:

Have you got the 3D acceleration fix? If you don't, put the dll file in the main JK map (i.e. the one with the game's executable); that might help fix the graphics.

I don't believe I've ever come across your bizarre mouse issue, so I wouldn't really know what to do about it. I'm assuming you did try checking/unchecking the reverse-direction boxes on both the X- and Y-axis? Though rather unlikely, it might be that you were changing the setting for the Z-axis instead. If that's not it, then perhaps it's something to do with the mouse itself, or the software you're using for it - if you are using any. I can only recommend seeing if the issue persists when you're using a different (preferably a simple, non-gaming) mouse and/or when there is no proprietary mouse software running in the background.

The main JK map? I have no idea what that means, but if you're talking about just /LucasArts/Jedi Knight where JK.exe is, then it doesn't appear to do anything. There was no ddraw.dll there in the first place for it to replace so I don't know if I put it in the right spot.

As for the mouse, it's just an old Microsoft wireless mouse. No software or anything. I think I have encountered this issue a couple of other times with no solution in sight.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Sombrerotron posted:

It's the right spot, so considering that it's not helping the issue is possibly related to your 3D card's drivers and/or settings. Have you tried running the game with a 'minimum/safe' 3D configuration (i.e. without AA/aniso or things like Catalyst AI)?
Did you ever try connecting a regular wired mouse? I'm sort of grasping at straws here, but you just never know.

The lowest I could set it under vanilla Display Properties (under the Hardware Acceleration slider bar) without it making JK crash in some way still persisted in doing that horrible stretching thing. Setting all the options for JK.exe to "Off" in NVIDIA Control Panel has done nothing to solve it either. This is really starting to make me mad as setting to software lets me see the models but gives me grainy rainbow textures, but keeping it in Direct3D persists in stretching everything out to the point that I can barely make out what's happening. If it helps any, this is on an EVGA GeForce 9500 GT.

As for the mouse problem, I figured it out. Apparently each setting can be individually reversed? That's kind of dumb in light of the fact that no other game I've ever played did it that way.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Sombrerotron posted:

Unfortunately I've got an ATI card, so I can't really help with any specific NVIDIA issues. Best I can say is to either update your drivers or try reverting to considerably older ones (use Driver Sweeper in the latter case).

Software mode should probably work properly if you change the compatibility settings of JK.exe properties (or those of whatever shortcut you may be using) to 256 colours - at least if you're not using JKE or any other mods installed that use 16-bit colours, but since you already said you want to use JKE I realise this is a less-than-satisfactory solution.

Perhaps the so-called JK Unofficial Patch may help. Alternatively, if you've already installed JKE, it's conceivable that that's somehow messing things up. If all else fails, you could try a clean install.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but when I was talking about the X-, Y-, and Z-axis earlier I meant to say that there were separate settings for each of them. d:unsmith:b

On a semi-unrelated note, in looking around for things that could help I came across this (little :nws:, mind), which is either some horrible crime against website design and human civilisation in general or some beautiful, almost dadaist, genius work of modern art.

Nothing known to man seems to fix this problem. I've tried using the unpatched EXE with no mods, that still does it. I've tried using just the Unofficial Patch, that still does it. The only option that seems to work at all is using the 8-bit version of the JKE set, which has some textures that truly look like barf. Either that or rolling back my display drivers, which seems like an awful lot of work just to get one game to work right and, knowing my track record, would probably find a way to destroy my computer.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Reive posted:

And does it combine well with brutal doom?

Nope. It lags harder than nuts.wad with Brutal Doom loaded. Maybe a higher end PC would be able to handle it, but I had to use FREEZE on the console in order to even be able to aim straight. It's a pity because this is otherwise an awesome goddamn map.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Jimmy's Jukebox is exactly what it says - a in-game tool that lets you generate and control a playlist from a selection of 773 MIDIs from a variety of classic FPSes, classic megawads, and even a few new ones for the hell of it.

Don't forget that the latest version allows you to fairly easily create your own playlists if you have Slade 3 and a copy of ACC (the ACS script compiler). I have a personal playlist WAD of nothing but 80s thrash metal and it is absolutely fantastic to play through basically any mapset with.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

H2Omelon posted:

Alas the Worst Wad and Mockaward categories are gone

Oh man, really? I was really looking forward to the apocalyptic meltdown Doomguy 2000 was going to have over receiving the Worst Wad for Doomguy's Warzone: Gold Edition. It's by far one of the most terrible and juvenile wads I've ever seen. The only good thing about it is watching how the author is seemingly completely oblivious to how awful his mod is.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Klaus88 posted:

First rule of mods: their creators are all absolute bastards.

In other news I have discovered that blood has a sequel. I bought it off GOG for the holiday sale and feel like I was ripped off. I wonder how much of blood 2 horribleness can be put up to the transition to a true 3d engine? I also wonder what drugs the designers were on to explain half of these idiot decisions?

The major thing you have to keep in mind with Blood 2 is that it wasn't finished. It was rushed out the door before they had time to really implement everything they wanted and as a result you got a lot of things that didn't mesh well, story elements that just kind of dead end, etc.. The whole thing with the mad scientist character was actually supposed to be more fleshed out--sound files still exist in the game for more content regarding his part--but it literally just ends with Caleb running into him on a catwalk as he silently cowers on the ground like the random civilians do. The game doesn't even have a story if you play as any character but Caleb, since they never implemented cutscenes for anyone else.

It still wouldn't have been great since the story was kind of stupid. Why they set it a thousand years in the future is beyond me, since most of the enemies could have still been done in a 1930s/40s setting and worked fine, and the far future setting doesn't mesh too well with the first game. It's literally like you're playing a completely different game that happens to share a voice actor. Also, gently caress those spinny hissy things that come from the other side of the rifts. They are beyond irritating. Don't ask me why they'd design such stupidly difficult low-level enemies.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
And yet I still remember thinking at the time that I played it that it had incredible graphics. Looking back, yeah, it wasn't very nice to look at at all. But hey, at least it got better. No One Lives Forever and its sequel both looked pretty good, and the F.E.A.R. games (or at least the first one anyways) ran on a very late version of the same engine.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Yeah, the death/victory screen parodies roguelikes. I wish I could give a reasonable explanation as to why, beyond "it seemed funny at the time".

Making a real Doom roguelike in ZDoom would be cool, but fuuuuuck trying to do randomized dungeons in ACS. Maybe if I was able to rig up an external random map generator...

I believe Nash was working on a way to do this, actually. He had a script rigged up that would take a map that was nothing but ACS controllable sectors and intelligently raise and lower at random to create a dungeon. Don't remember where this popped up other than it being a couple years ago and on the ZDoom forums.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Also Nash is some sort of terrifying multitalented mutant who can bend Zdoom to his iron will and I just kind of hack at things until they work so v:shobon:v

Personally, I think Reelism is amazing. For somebody who just "hacks at things until they work," you do a damned good job. Especially your special effects. They have a special kind of pretty to them that I don't think any other mod really has, save maybe Brutal Doom, and even that does it a bit differently than you did.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I noticed one thing about Reelism: in Gutrot Island, if you get On A Wing And A Prayer and fly up to the platform above where the Jerk and all the bosses spawn, you are basically untouchable. You can hide out up there and crouch and all you have to do in order not to get killed is avoid the occasional projectile. Most of the other areas you can fly to at least have spawn platforms you have to deal with, but there were none to be found up there.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

nexus6 posted:

I'm not getting Reelism. I'm using IDE to start a single player game with Doom 2 and reelism 1.3 as an additional PWAD. I just get regular doom 2 with the slots and half of them don't seem to do anything like I collect gas canisters from dead guys but can't do anything with them.

Do you have any autoloads? Those might be messing things up if you do.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Hey Kins, are you going to add more music in the Reelism expansion? I love me some Reelism, but it seems like there's a staggeringly small selection of music and it gets pretty repetitive after several playthroughs.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Yeah, definitely Quarantine.
The two new maps will have a new playlist. Maybe I'll throw some more in the default one? I dunno.

My only request is that you throw in something from Maximum Carnage like Streets of New York or Heated Battle. And if you could find a legitimate way to use the Flamethrower theme from Plok! I'd probably crap myself.

It's a bit off-topic I guess, but whatever.

FAKE EDIT: The Boss theme from Plok! would actually probably fit the existing boss music playlist pretty well.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Dominic White posted:

As a kid, Wolfenstein never really did it for me. I thought Catacomb Abyss was cooler. But yeah, Doom was on a whole different level of brilliance.

This brings me back. I had a crappy old laptop in early high school that ran Windows 98. One time there was a lock-in at the school where you could go and spend the night there with a bunch of other people. I brought the laptop and a bunch of old games. I'll be damned if I didn't attract a crowd of onlookers while playing through Catacomb Abyss, graphics, sound and modern gameplay be damned.

There's just something inherently fun about those games despite them basically being 16 color mazes without sound.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Install Gentoo posted:

What's the best Wolfenstein 3D source port/engine for modern Windows these days? I used to use NewWolf, but it hasn't updated in 6 years and was still buggy the last time I used it back at that time.

Wolf4SDL is pretty great. Nothing fancy added, just a few nice extra features like definable controls, multiple sound channels, and the ability to use any resolution. (Note: 16:9 can be set from the command line and the actual gameplay will display properly, but other assets aren't guaranteed to display properly.)

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Don't know if I really should be circulating this information, but hell, it's on topic: Brutal Doom's gonna have a full player sound overhaul with 100% original voice acting. (By somebody with a good microphone and talent [it's me, I'm the guy] so don't worry.) Also in the mix is a taunt system which I imagine will work kind of like Duke Nukem 3D. Don't know if it'll be in .16, but yeah.

It might not be Danny Glover but it'll be a hell of a lot better than the muddy, grainy yelling that's in there now.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

sockpuppetclock posted:

Only question: Is "gently caress YOURSELF" staying??

Yeah. In fact, that was one of the things I was specifically contacted about.

EDIT: Although to clarify, there'll be a new sound file for it. One that doesn't sound horrible and distorted.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 27, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

jimmy boag posted:

Here's my first attempt a a Doom map.

I tried to balance it for Brutal Doom, but it should be fine without it. I haven't added difficulty levels yet, so it's UV only ATM. Is it too hard/easy/boring/whatever?

There's actually some neat stuff in here considering this is a first attempt. The starting area's kind of 1994, but the crack in the wall in the second room was actually pretty cool. I did notice some texture alignment issues too, particularly above the exit from the courtyard with the Hell Knights in it. I'd go back through and fix up the texturing and maybe add some additional details and I'd say it wouldn't be too shabby.

Speaking of, how hard is it to get started working with Doombuilder 2? This is coming from somebody who has only successfully made maps for Wolfenstein 3D before, and that's about as simple as it can get considering it was literally placing squares on a grid.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
New gameplay video for Brutal Doom 0.16 is out. My player sounds are in and apart from sounding a little distorted (which might be Youtube's fault, not sure) I think it's pretty awesome. Needs a little more fine tuning, but awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17T6RgAtew

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Pretty sure there's at least double that amount, but yeah, I did suggest he maybe lower the frequency of taunts. They happen almost a mile a minute.

EDIT: Oh, wait, read the comments on the video and apparently there's just a taunt button so you can hear as many or as few as you want.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 17, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Wow, Doom Builder 2 really is pretty easy to use. Following that tutorial, I actually managed to get ahead of myself and figure a few things out on my own. My first test level's got basically no gameplay, but I added some pretty cool details like a little cable running out of the teleport pad you start on and into the wall, and a lava pit in the floor that actually follows the edge of the hexagonal tiles. There is one thing that puzzles me, though. Is there a way to align top and bottom textures independently of one another? I haven't gotten all the way through the tutorial yet, so forgive me if this is addressed later on, but so far the only solution I found for doing top and bottoms is to hide them behind a small raised sector of something else. It looks alright, but for stuff like recessed lights it's kind of weird to have the front of it lighting all the way up the front of the light to the ceiling.

Once I get the hang of this, I think I'm gonna try my hand at something for the proposed SA Megawad. Thinking I might try and remake the first level of Rise of the Triad's shareware in a Doom setting, with some minor tweaks here and there to keep things fresh. Always loved that game as a kid and its level design is simple enough that most of it shouldn't be too much trouble. I'm going to call it "Rise Again" and it's going to be awesome.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I'm gonna be honest. The new level... is not very good. The design is off in a lot of ways, from the weird super narrow hallway in the first area to the rock textures all over the tops of the walls in the area across from there. I couldn't find the yellow key door until I used the automap. Also all the slogging through slime is kind of tedious.

The improved version of your first, however, is actually pretty nice. A little sparse in some areas still, but I definitely like it from a gameplay standpoint. The Archvile was kind of out of nowhere, but then I generally hate fighting them anyways. Your texturing really shows some character now, and that's pretty great. If you keep working on your design aesthetic, you could probably make some really good levels.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

CyRaptor posted:

E2M5 is probably my least favorite level in Doom 1 because it's Sandy trying his very hardest to imitate Tom's mapping style and therefore has basically no redeeming qualities.

It's funny you should say E2M5, because having just played through the entirety of The Ultimate Doom testing out my definitely illegal The Complete Doom wad I'm compiling, I have to say my least favorite it the one directly preceding it. Deimos Lab comes across as having been the inspiration for all those terrible PWADs developed in 1994. I mean, a whole wall textured with that marble satyr face? It's a real mess. I am much more forgiving than you when it comes to level designs it seems--I enjoyed many of Tom Hall's levels in The Shores of Hell and Inferno--but Deimos Lab definitely made me recoil in horror.

Speaking of, anyone here knowledgeable enough with the WAD format that they could help me make a potentially LEGAL version of The Complete Doom? I figure it could be done with just a WAD with nothing but the MAPINFO and stuff in it if some sort of batch conversion tool could be made to automatically copy and rename maps and textures to it. This is definitely something I'd like to share because man was it fun blowing my way through The Ultimate Doom and then coming into Entryway with the full arsenal.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Minidust posted:

Oh nice, thanks. I had actually checked my version of GZdoom, and what I thought was the official site said there had been no updates since November 2010 :iiam:

IIRC, the original developer of GZDoom had a hissy fit because people were getting more and more angry with his indifference towards the fact that there were some major bugs with ATI video cards that he wouldn't/couldn't fix and quit. That meant somebody else had to take over for updating the codebase to match ZDoom's features and also get a new website, which might explain why the "official website" would say there have been no updates in two years.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Yeah, it uses all the modern tools of the trade like jumping and alt-fire.
I should probably improve his sprites since he's very lazily resized... maybe once I finish the new stuff... I've got two new maps sitting on my lap and a bunch of new rules to make once I have the time.

Anyway! Xaser and his gang of misfits have released a beta of a vanilla Doom map pack called No End In Sight. If you liked Doom The Way Id Did, it's an offshoot from that project.

I don't have the sprites on hand to compare, but if I'm thinking right you just resized the original Wolfenstein sprites? If so, you could always start with the Macintosh versions, since they were double resolution. Downside is there's only front facing frames for them, but hey, it's a start!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
For the proposed goon megawad, are we cool to use some custom assets? I'm not looking to use new monsters or weapons or whatever since I'm assuming most people would like to keep this compatible with stuff like Brutal Doom, but I'm interested in maybe using some custom textures, some sprites, and maybe a bit of ACS. I've got my level underway, but I'm having a hard time with my texture selection and I'm thinking I might just use the original ROTT textures to some degree.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So my map is starting to take shape finally, but I've got an important question: how do you limit how far up a perpetual raise platform goes? I have three in the first area, one right at the start and two parallel to each other. The first one raises and lowers to the height that it's already at, but the other two raise all the way to the ceiling despite only being at half the room's height. What's the best way to fix this?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

H2Omelon posted:

When platforms rise or fall, they usually keep going until they reach the same height as the floor of a nearby sector (stopping at the ceiling if there is no nearby floor it passes on the way up). I think this height is determined at the time the platform is about to start moving, so if you have two moving platforms directly next to each other it may not work as you expect. From what I think is happening based on your post, the platform starts at the highest point you want it to be at, but moves up first? If so try lowering the starting height of the platforms?

Actually, I don't know that they move up first. The thing is that they're free standing platforms (i.e. they don't have any raised floors near them). I'm guessing in order to get them to work I'm going to have to use some sort of ACS trickery, like specifying the amount to raise and lower them with just the regular raise and lower commands and then loop them.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Does anyone plan on making a MAP30 for the goon megawad? Or, you know, whatever the last level ends up equivalent to? Because I'm kind of leaning towards including an Icon of Sin encounter at the end of my map. Don't want to step on anyone's toes though, so I figured I should ask first.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Honestly, I am kind of disappointed with how my voice acting turned out in the end. In order for it to be clearly audible during all the mayhem, SgtMarkIV had to increase the volume. So despite it being recorded with a studio quality mic, it's kind of clippy. I'm wondering if maybe some talented goon could take a crack at the taunts and what have you with the original files in hand and smooth them out a bit. I'm not really an audio engineer so I don't know how clear things can be made.

Then again, I'm totally free this weekend so I could always sit down for recording session #3 and try and crank out lines that will level up better. Seeing these complaints popping up is kind of making me want to do them over again after taking some advice from you guys.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Roughly twenty minutes of audio across two files. I've got MP3s up on Mediafire of the last two sessions, and I do still have the original WAV files if that makes a difference. Session two is mostly taunts and grunts, whereas three was something SgtMarkIV requested specifically, some extra death sounds and multiplayer-only voice clips.

Session Two
Session Three

The first session's somewhere else in this thread, but I don't think any of that is being used anymore since it was basically just me loving around and seeing what people thought of my voice acting.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

RyokoTK posted:

Basically Treellama's philosophy is, "I don't want to make any dramatic changes so anything significant should be forked into its own project."

Which is a much more viable option when the community is larger than 50 people.

So then why doesn't the entire dev team except that idiot fork off a new branch that fixes stupid things the guy doesn't want to deal with? Because I'd love to play Marathon but the controls are just impossible to deal with as is.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
You could literally write that in DECORATE code in probably fifteen minutes. All you'd have to do is make a random monster spawner and a random object spawner and then make it so every object is replaced by one of the two. Of course, this is assuming you're using ZDoom/GZDoom.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There was a big argument over it on the ZDoom Project forums. It's certainly strange that the resources are directly pulled from actual photos, but it wouldn't be the first time a game did it (Doom 3 and Dead Space come to mind.) Wildweasel and I kept arguing that the biggest issue was how badly the new resources clashed with the older, hand-drawn ones. Of course, nobody grasped this argument, and insisted that people just couldn't handle the bleeding edge concept of tracing over pictures of dead people.
Honestly, that whole thing made me really uncomfortable. I didn't want to become known as the guy who did voice acting for that project with the chopped up bits of dead people in it. No matter how you try and justify it, it's pretty tasteless, and as has been pointed out, they don't even match graphically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Apparently, the PSX version of Final Doom was made up of 13 of the Master Levels, 11 TNT levels, and 6 Plutonia levels. So, technically, there are no PSX exclusive levels. Well, they were stripped down a bit from the PC originals, so in that sense they're all exclusive, but... I guess what you're looking for is most likely the Master Levels.

Also, the latest version of the PSX Doom TC now contains PSX Final Doom in addition to Doom 1 and 2. There's also a version with just PSX Final Doom.

Not quite! I found somewhere a package of the exclusive levels and there were a few levels that were made just for PSX Final Doom. For example, Club Doom definitely wasn't in any of the original levels.