Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
The Unreal entry could do with a mention of the semi-official Unreal 227 patch: http://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

At this point it's developed enough that it makes Unreal 1 easily the best SP modding/playing platform between Unreal and UT (outside of a few UT only SP mods), and it comes with the new renderers etc that make getting Unreal working on new systems pretty painless.

As a side-note does anyone know much about old PC Gamer UK (I think, it may have been PC Zone...) coverdisks? One issue had a disk with a ton of HL1 SP levels on it. Most were pretty bad (although I recall there were a few classics), and I could easily download better ones today, but they were pretty much among the first mods I ever played. I used to own the disk but can't find it, and I'd like it check it out again (or at least get a list of what was on it) for some major nostalgia.

Mman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

I've been playing Unreal Gold lately. I honestly didn't like the game much at first (had more fun with Tournament) but at some point it really grew on me. It has such a nice looking world and the art direction really appeals to me. Is the Steam version updated for modern systems or something? I noticed that it has detailed textures like I see in this Deus Ex launcher.

Unreal Tournament (or it may have only been later editions of it) came with an extra disk with a set of high-res textures on them. Only a couple of cards could use them at the time, but it's easy now with the modern renderers. I guess Unreal Gold might have them installed by default, but I have no idea if that's the case.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Well, this is embarassing: I'm stuck on the first level of the WG Realms episode in WGR2. I've explored the two abandoned buildings and surrounding grounds, found a golden apple, ammo pack, and pain jewel...and now I can't figure out what to do next. There doesn't seem to be anything I can interact with or anywhere I can go.

Have you found a side-room with a lava pool and receptacles for the power things (I forgot what they're called)? There's a chest there that costs no gold to open and kicks things off. I had the same problem.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Oops, I had wrong episode.

Yeah, you need to activate the buttons underneath the three security camera terminals.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
I'd recommend non-source Half-Life 1 and the High Definition Model Pack that can be installed here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3157-QDVN-1426

As the only real visual difference in source is the water, and it doesn't support these models, the model pack actually makes non-source HL1 look better than HL source. Plus, while it all generally works fine, HL source has a bunch of small changes to physics and similar that makes a few things slightly more awkward than they are supposed to be.

Edit: It was my bad to not mention that opinion on the HD models is split; If you choose non-source HL, it's best if you experiment in the starting area to see which models you prefer.

Mman fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 17, 2011

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Zeether posted:

Marathon Resurrection is amazing. However, it's not fun when your left mouse button decides to not work half the time.

I don't know about that mouse bug, but I should warn that the penultimate level in Marathon Resurrection is literally impossible to complete without trickjumps or cheats (the jumps at the very end aren't possible to do with Unreal's physics). I'm not sure how that got through, but development stopped after the first release or two so it never got fixed.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
The UT Marathon remake's problem is that it isn't finished and probably never will be at this point. All the levels are there and mostly faithfully remade, but a lot of the AI is completely different, which results in certain enemies being really under/overpowered (some hitscan enemies in particular are pretty ridiculous), and it has major issues like the penultimate level being literally impossible to finish without cheats/exploits due to the ledges at the end not being set-up properly. If you've already played through Marathon seeing some of the changes can be interesting, but, as it is, I can't really recommend it to newcomers.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

iceaim posted:

I have a question for you guys. If someone becomes skilled in being a level designer in Doom...as in really well made level architecture and design (enemy, powerup placement, etc)...can they transition these skills into making levels for more modern games like Half Life 2 provided that they learn how to use the new editor?

I know with Doom level design is more simplified since it's different sector levels as opposed to full 3D editing, but can a really competent Doom level designer learn how to design levels in a full 3D editor like Hammer?

Design knowledge in level editing is at least as important as technical knowledge; if you can make an awesome level in a game like Doom it's likely you already have most of the knowledge needed to make an awesome level on a newer engine (at least for an FPS). Even technically quite a bit can carry over; a lot of the general principles of good visual design are relatively similar between games, even though the implementation on newer engines is mostly much more time consuming and complex.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

The worst part about all the cuts from Unreal 2 is that they sounded like by far the most interesting things in the game. I guess that does explain why they ended up cut though, as copy-pasting more generic Mercenaries takes far less effort than creating enemies and scenarios that are interesting and original.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Eulisker posted:

I'm trying to play Rune Classic but the frame rate is really lovely. It seems to be a problem with all unreal engine games. Is there a way to fix this? I can't find anything.

Is it just consistently low performance or are there also crazy speedups/slowdowns and similar? If it's the latter then it's normally to do with the original Unreal engine having issues when the framerate gets too high.

If it's like Unreal then try opening the console (which should be Tab if it's the same as Unreal) and putting in "preferences" and then enter; that should open a menu with a bunch of advanced options. Open "rendering" and then the menu for whatever renderer you're using and there should be an option called "frameratelimit" or similar that should be set to about 200 maximum (although around 100 would probably be safest). If that's not there then I don't know, but there's probably another console command to limit framerate.

Also hi Waffnuffly :) .

Mman fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 25, 2013

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Downloading... :neckbeard:

Edit: It so dark its like unplayable, I'm stumbling around trying to find the different ducts and I can't see anything. Color correction makes things brighter for while I change the value, but as soon as I go back to playing, its dark again. How do I enable color correction? I've tried Software and 16/32 opengl renderers. :smith:

Do you have F.lux or some other monitor colour modifying program running? Because that's what the cause is when I have issues like that with (mostly) older games.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Lork posted:

Don't do this. While BMS is an OK last resort if you absolutely can't stand the graphics of the old game or something, it plays worse than the original in many ways. At the very least you should play the original first so you can have a context for what was "updated" in BMS when you do play it.

Yeah, while I think the general level layouts are close to ideal for a remake with the Surface Tension Uncut mod installed (I think On A Rail is ridiculously cut down even taking into account the fact I was okay with them shortening a bit, but an uncut version which tries to nail the right balance is already being worked on so whatever), the gameplay balance is pretty hosed.

Without ini tweaks to make their reactions more reasonable fighting the Marines in BMS is like being cannon fodder in Commando and having multiple Arnies attacking you at once. Conversely the Aliens are mostly heavily nerfed to the point they are weak as kittens, and the Ichthyosaurs are just sad. It even messes up the narrative as the Marines just completely slaughter the Aliens in every encounter, as opposed to the original where things gradually shift from being relatively equal to being in the Alien's favour, which fits the story. The worst thing though is that the Vortigaunts completely lose their identity; In the original they hurt like hell but have a slow charge-up time that gives plenty of time to find cover. In BMS they charge so fast (faster than they do even on hard in the original game) that they are near-unavoidable, but do little damage. The HL1 vortiguants aren't very dangerous most of the time but keep you on your toes, which fits the Sci-fi/Horror style of the game perfectly. While the BMS ones are just annoying fodder that peck away at your health. As they are one of the most regular enemies in the game that makes a pretty big change to the mood.

Mman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 12, 2013

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Blow up everything. The game gives you a ton of explosives, especially if you look for secrets. Use the rocket launcher for direct attacks, but use the grenade launcher to clear some enemies out a room before going in.

Having just played through it I'll second this. The game seemed really tough at first, but then I realised how useful the explosives are and what massive quantities the game gives out (at least when you're playing the levels continuously) and it suddenly became a lot easier.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
It's still dragged down by many other issues, but tweaking the movement speed at least makes it somewhat playable, and without all the padding of walking across giant areas at glacial speed it's mercifully short.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

victrix posted:

Is Fear: Perseus Mandate any good?

It starts off really really rough, like, it looks like a mediocre (if ambitious) mod in terms of visuals, and does some really silly things, like a Ninja ambush in a brightly lit room while you have a bunch of allies. However, it gets better and better as it goes along and once it peaks it's one of my favourite parts of the series.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

You could probably fake it really well in Unreal - I remember the wheel of time game doing things with portals that were indistinguishable from 5D - but automatic map conversion there might be intractable.

Marathon 1 actually was remade in Unreal Tournament: http://www.moddb.com/mods/marathon-resurrection

Unfortunately development died after the first release so it's pretty unfinished and has a bunch of imbalances and bugs (the biggest being that the exit of one of the last levels is impossible to reach without cheats or exploits).

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Oh, looking at the news it seems the full release I played was 2.0, unfortunately it still has some major issues, like the one I mentioned. Another thing I recall is that the hitscan/fast projectile enemies go from mostly being annoyances to completely murdering you, which gets ridiculous when you mostly face them in the same numbers as the original game (where strength in numbers was all they really had).

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

MONKET posted:

Also, a little nitpick, but after installing the unofficial patch the game tends to show the map title, author, game etc. on the top of the screen and I was wondering if there's any way to turn that off because I NEED MY IMMERSION.

I'm pretty sure every version of the game does that; it's just the way it handles level titles.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
On AMCTC 2 how do I finish the EDF mission "Ice Station Colossus"? I blow open the cave to the UFO thing and kill the Cycloid Emperor, but then there's the standard Duke Nukem end-level symbol on the ground but I can't do anything with it. I've tried the level twice with different characters but it ended the same. Also I notice that I seem to have a flashlight in my inventory but there doesn't seem to be any keybind to use it.

Edit: Oh, the flashlight comes on automatically at certain sections.

Mman fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 26, 2015

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Jblade posted:

Stepping on that should end the level, I'm not sure why it's not doing that as it's set up properly. I'll have to take a look and see what's causing that, but sorry for the inconvenience.

incidentally I hope some guys actually check out the proper episode 2 since everybody seems to be playing the classic collection instead of the new stuff :v:

Thanks, so it is a bug then. I actually moved on to the main missions (as a side note, it seems like the manual should cover the way to transfer your Act 1 progress to Act 2, as it only seems to be on the download page), which is how I figured out how the flashlight worked; though a manual toggle would be nice because some of the EDF levels have some pretty dark areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

It looks like there's just the one, and it's only just potential graphical enhancements over the OpenGL Half-Life you play on Steam.

The best perk of Xash3D is actually compatibility; Valve have changed/screwed with HL1's engine a lot over the years, and many old maps have a lot of weird issues as a result (both minor and gamebreaking). Xash3D is designed to be able to handle just about any HL1 map without issues. For newer/post-steam maps it doesn't matter much, but for older ones I prefer Xash3D as it makes sure I won't run into any unintended major issues.