Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Kins posted:

Well we somehow managed to reach thread number three without SlimerChat. It was a good run I suppose...

So how about them Flemoids? Scariest 2.5D enemies, hands down.

Come to think of it, there's no Chex Quest blurb! I can't be the only one who played CQ before Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

WickedIcon posted:

Too lazy to watch right now, but the fact that he actually made an LP and it was good enough to get archived shows that he clearly didn't have the same problem I did (having absolutely no goddamn clue where to go because everywhere looks like a horse shat all over it).

Getting an LP archived is not really a matter of quality - more of a matter of catching an archiver's eye.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mill Village posted:

That is the coolest looking cake I have ever seen. A cacodemon cake would be even better.

A Cakeodemon?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Chinook posted:

What's the difference between ScoreDoom and ScoreDoomST? Does one of them include everything that the other does? ST seems to have online leaderboards, whereas Scoredoom does not, right? Is one of them more updated?

I'm mostly interested in doing pistol start runs and seeing how I compare with others, I guess.

I believe ScoreDoomST is for skulltag.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ayin posted:

That reminds me of one or two spots in Afraid of Monsters. I'm not sure if they're the same textures, but they might be.

I'm just going to come out and say it: gently caress Afraid of Monsters. It's probably the scariest game I've ever played, and I didn't get through five levels.

That LP is great,though.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr E posted:

I can't even place the exact thing that makes it terrifying, but it definitely is.

For me, it's the absolute pitch-black enviroments, the lovely weapons or strong enemies, the amount of damage you take, and just the whole atmosphere. It's like you're not really in the real world but in something pretending to be the real world just long enough to kill you.

It's all very sinister and I heartily recommend either the game or the LP to people who enjoy horror.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
To celebrate a new release of Brutal (Brütal?) Doom I thought I'd grab a new WAD or two to play. Did you all know the second Google result for idgames is the download of Alien Vendetta?

It's time to see if downloading this eight megabytes sweet jesus is worth it.

e. Anyone know how to change which monitor fullscreen GZDoom shows up on? It wants to come up on my secondary monitor and I can't see how to change it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

but thou must! posted:

console commands

Works like a charm, thanks!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

treat posted:

:iiam:

I play a fair bit of skulltag, but attempting to host a server of any type through this thread alone has met with abject failure pretty consistently.

A lot of people seem to have this problem, but I've hosted several Skulltag sessions with zero problems. All I had to do was forward the port and I was done.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Yodzilla posted:

Welp I beat Opposing Force, the only Half-Life related anything I'd yet to have played. It was pretty good I guess but there were some incredibly frustrating parts. First off that was probably the hardest game related to Valve I've ever played. The special ops fights loving sucked since they would just rail on you in an instant, all of your weapons were inaccurate as gently caress, and headshots didn't do anything. I really hated all of those segments.

The new weapons and alien enemies were cool though. I loved the rocket launcher that you literally fed to reload. All in all it was a good expansion that really shows its age with terrible human fights and really lovely platforming sequences. Oh and ladders. gently caress ladders.

Did you go through Half-Life first? I always thought OpFor was a continuation - I played it last immediately after finishing Half-Life and thought it was great.

At least in this game you have guns that will kill an Alien Grunt in 3-4 shots.

e. Also I wish I had your gaming time. It seems I have no time for games these days.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
e. ^^ I liked BS a lot. After the stupid overpowered weapons and enemies in OpFor, running down corridors and shotgunning Vortigaunts was a refreshing change of pace.

SGRaaize posted:

:spergin: alert
I guess its a continuation, but its not canon, or rather, its semi-canon, whatever the guys at Valve want to make Canon is canon. (Ex: The explosion at the end)

I meant a continuation of the gameplay mechanics :shobon: Bigger and better guns, badder and more intelligent enemies, etc. I never really had a problem with the other humans , they were just as weak to a point-blank shotgun blast as anything else.

gently caress that Voltigore maze at the end, though. I always noclip through it and never felt bad.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

treat posted:

Engine exploit or idiosyncrasy?

There's a difference?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
You can also use the same trick to launch QLZD or ZDLSharp through steam, then just make sure Brutal Doom is at the bottom of the launch list.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rather Dashing posted:

That's what was stopping me - I remember a friend way back having the Carribean and Nuclear Winter packs. I guess I'll get the GoG version and then look through other channels for the other sets.

Check the OP, you can get them there (or click here :ssh:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Minidust posted:

The berzerk executions are so fun to watch in Brutal Doom... but tactically speaking when is it a good idea to use the berzerk fists? It always feels like I'm putting myself at risk just to see some sweet gibs.

You're invincible while doing them (but not taunting afterwards) plus you get 10 health after each execution. If you're not getting shot by a bunch of hitscan dudes, go ahead and do it. If I'm surrounded by weak melee enemies I like to spam the poo poo out of it, since I'll take around five damage before I murder someone and get double that :black101:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Vaos posted:

Brutal Doom really breaks the balance of most classic maps however, with monsters being able to reach places they weren't able to before, being way more aggressive in general, and so on. Some maps go from pretty tricky to drat impossible. Don't even think of playing the late Scythe/Alien Vendetta/Hell Revealed/etc maps with it!

Pretty refreshing however, it gives a new life to the easier map packs and obviously, Ultimate Doom.

Late Scythe is a recipe for instant death, but early Scythe is really really good with Brutal Doom. I just did a run of Scythe last week up to whatever map Terror is and it was a blast. The secret and super-secret levels are hard as gently caress in Brutal, but they manage to not feel cheap.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Luigi Thirty posted:

Gentlemen, I believe we have reached both Peak Russia and Peak Doom with this mod.

I just tried this out. The BFG has a "Quantum Jump" mode.

It is now officially The Best Thing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

stay off my page posted:

Does anyone have a link for ZDL 3.1? Every single link available by google is dead. Or is there a better Doom frontend.

Either google up ZDL Sharp or grab Quickly Launchering ZDoom from the OP.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

He cut it off, he rocks short hair these days.

Now that's sad. He could have cut it off as a gift for the first person to donate $50k to his kickstarter!

I bet SA would fundraise for it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I downloaded Brutal Doom .15 and honestly, it's pretty disappointing. All the new sounds suck, the rifle and shotgun look way too similar, and I really miss the old secondary fire for the chaingun. Why does everything good have to change?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Install Gentoo posted:

I think I have a few more DOOM/Hexen/Heretic/Duke 3d level CDs. I'll have to talk to a friend tomorrow to see if I can use their webspace to host them.

If you want I'll give you some webspace for that.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

So stuff playable in Skulltag should be UDMF since it uses GZDoom?

I've got a lot of level design experience, don't worry. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out :)

I want to see what someone with confidence in their level design skills could make for Reelism. Sorry The Kins, but your maps tend to be way too large and open for my tastes.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

get out posted:

Does anyone know what HD texture pack he's using? It looks great.

As posted on last page:

The description of the video posted:

Disclaimer:
1) Neither the Hi-Res textures or the levels will be included in the wad. They are separated modules. You can download the Hi-Res Textures anywhere (just type "HD Textures for Zdoom Download" in Google to find 'em). The map pack is a (still) unreleased revamp of Ultimate Doom maps made by me to add more detail to levels, and Doom 2 and Skulltag monsters and weapons. I will upload these maps soon as I get at least the entire Episode 1 done.

Or you can just visit here and hit the likely-looking links created by Google - I think the best-looking one is from the freelanzer.com domain.

I very much wanted to link to lmgtfy, but I held back. Just for you.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sorry for starting this whole thing up and then going silent. Its a mix of legal things and mapping all day at work then coming home and mapping again, I'm not going to be able to contribute a level to the goon wad. I wish you guys luck on this, those maps look pretty good.

Most agreements like this only pertain to skills learned while on the job.

So the answer is get really really drunk (or really really sober) until you can't remember anything about mapping, then you should be golden! :haw:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Xenaero posted:

I'm doing dumb things in TF2 and already have my Kritzkrieg named IDKFA and Medigun named IDDQD, what's the next logical step for the Quick-Fix? I don't think Doom has any 'health to 100%' cheat codes so I'm coming up blank. Any ideas?

It's Half-Life 2, but try "buddha" as the name. Never lets you drop below 1 health.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Komoxdos posted:

Point of View is absolutely brilliant.

I thought Point of View was a very good idea, but the levels are atrocious. Lots of running through identical grey corridors to go fight one or two dudes. I never finished it, but it's well worth a download and a try.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Kins posted:

EDIT: Looks like the Skulltag devs have just decided to abandon the original project founder for various reasons and continue on under a new name, Zandronum. Seems like they're still setting their site up, though.

Holy gently caress that's the worst name ever. I don't even know how the gently caress to pronounce it. That was the best part of Skulltag, the name just rolls off the tongue.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Did you try idgames? Everything is on idgames.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

victrix posted:

That map is horrible - Q2 in general was a way less interesting 1v1 game than QW or Q3, but the default dm maps it included were remarkably awful. id mappers didn't have a clue at that time.

Hey screw you buddy Killbox (q2dm3?) remains my favorite deathmatvh level. Killing people with lava never felt so good.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

QwertySanchez posted:

And while the original didn't have co-op, I hope it has co-op, like literally just the single player game with other dudes plopped in there with different coloured pants. Just everyone running around in a swarm of drunken rockets gibbing each other and laughing maniacally. Oh and all the awesome game modes the original had

Make it like Resistance 1 where player 2 can be seen in cutscenes, but nobody awknowledges him. Invisible Black Nathan Hale would be perfect foR ROTT.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Obeast posted:

BUG: No auto-save in single player campaign, even between levels.

TBH, this annoyed me about Doom. I much prefer how Zdoom autosaves at the beginning of the level.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Just downloaded the new version of Brutal Doom and Community Chest 4 to go with it. Seeing how far I can get while blind with no in-level saves on UV.

Holy poo poo Map02 is brutal. There is no good way to start that level and it only goes downhill from there. Easily one of the best standalone maps I've played in a long time.

e. From that Shrak website:

quote:

...the ULTIMATE gamer computer...

Pentium 200, 32MB Ram, 3.2GB Hard Drive, 6MB Video, 17" NEC Monitor,
Advent 20W SurroundSound with 30W Subwoofer, Thrustmaster joystick, Gravis GamePad and tons more.

Pentium 200! :haw:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dominic White posted:

The safest way to start that level is to grab the gear you're given, then move to the side without alerting the first bunch of enemies, switch to the assault rifle and trigger the ambush spawn with some noise. The AR chews through the 7-8 guys that rush you pretty easily.

From there, it's the right-hand sewer tunnel route that's safest, but only if you pick off the cage-dwelling chaingunners. It's tough, but you can get through most of the level with only minimal damage if you take it slow. Going in blind it's pretty nuts, though.

I managed it by starting almost like that, but I went down the left-hand route first. The ambush after getting the supershotgun in the sewers is ridiculous, so I wanted to save it for last.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Which Brutal Doom do I download for it to work with PrBoom+?

I'm pretty sure it's Zdoom derivitives only. It uses quite a few of the zdoom enhancements to make everything prettier more gory.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
drat, now map 4 is kicking my rear end. There's just so many traps it's rediculus. I should have known that those rockets were a trap, though.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Endurance runs? Points? Going in 'blind'?

I have so much to learn :allears:

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic here. I enjoy playing maps for the first time on Hard not because I'm a super 1337 DooMer, but because I get the full force of all the retarded traps Doom is famous for. The only way is to drop into a small room with a switch and a supershotgun: pull the switch and watch the walls drop to reveal a dozen demons and half that number of imps. Which way do you run? What weapon do you use? What weapon should you have had out? Having to actually think about such things is the fun part for me after playing modern story-driven shooters.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dominic White posted:

Ha, there's a new Brutal Doom build in the works, and it's adding one of those 'straight out of my 12-year-old mind' features. You can kick humanoid enemies in the crotch to stun them for a few seconds, but if you don't kill them in that time, then they get pissed off and fire more rapidly.

Brutal Doom Best Doom.

In other news, holy poo poo the end of Installation Decrepit in cc4 is insane. I can't imagine going for 100% UV kills in Brutal Doom.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

DXH posted:

With all this Armagon talk and with the posting of speedruns I just have to post my favorite speedrun of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SibdQvgsGJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlnDvsa-Ork

"Scourge Done Slick" is a speedrun with a story and little one-liners that were hilarious ten years ago and it's still a very enjoyable twenty minutes of rocket jumping and physics abuse; I am still not sure how he kills the final boss the way he does but it is very impressive nonetheless. I still say "George! You brought the key!" whenever I get a chance which is unfortunately very rare as I do not know anyone named George presently.

The first movie has some of the most entertainingly bad one-liners I've heard in a long time. Holy poo poo.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Thinking of Half-Life mods, I just played through Poke646 again and was blown away at how good it was even today. Every time I got to a point that I remembered was horrible it turned out to be one map or sometimes fifteen seconds of gameplay. Everything just kind of flows quickly together and ends before it can outstay its welcome.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I think the big confusion about SS2 comes from how many goons have hosted the files over the years. Hell, I have a copy of both the ISO and HOTU versions on my webspave that I need to take down tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The real shame of Nexiuz is the free version from two or three years ago is really good. The models were easy to pick out, the guns were a lot of fun to use, and if you were any good at bunnyhopping you could get going really fast.

Then they tried to monetize the game and it went to poo poo :(