Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

No mention of Ultima motherfucking Underworld, the game that started it all? Or Pathways into Darkness? Or System Shock, or Terra Nova?

If I write info blocks for these, will they end up in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ultima Underworld (Looking Glass 1992, 3D)

The game that started it all. Although not an FPS - UUW's closest descendants are Arx Fatalis and the Elder Scrolls games - an early tech demo of UUW inspired Carmack to create the engine that would be used in Catacomb 3D, and later, Wolfenstein 3D. Technically far ahead of its time, UUW supported 3d models, room-over-room, physics, and a limited form of dynamic lighting.

These days the interface has aged poorly, but the core gameplay is as fun as ever. Anyone with an interest in first-person action RPGs should check it out.

Get it at: GOG.com

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ I haven't played enough Magic Carpet to write an info block for it, but it's pretty sweet and deserves a mention in the OP.

Speaking of info blocks, here's the next one.

Pathways into Darkness (Bungie 1993, 2.5D)

Bungie's foray into first-person gaming. Before Marathon, there was Pathways; a strange shooter/puzzler hybrid with just a pinch of roguelike flavour, in which the player must descend through a pyramid formed from the dreams of an alien god, piecing together the plot from conversations with dead Nazis, in order to detonate a nuke and stun the creature.

I did say it was strange.

Pathways is a much slower and more methodical game than Marathon, focusing on careful exploration, measured use of tools, and smooth dodges rather than frenetic, high-speed shooting.

Get it at: The Macintosh Garden - Bungie used to sell it as part of the Mac Action Sack, but don't anymore.
You will need: a 68k or PPC Classic Mac emulator - Basilisk II is a good choice for the former. SheepShaver is the latter and, while harder to set up, will get you textured floors and ceilings.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Above Our Own posted:

This is a man who knows what's good. Definitely need to include Starsiege: Tribes in that list though, as a very unique 1998 competitive shooter that introduced or popularized many shooter concepts that are common today it certainly deserves a place. I'll do a little writeup on it sometime this weekend if nobody else does.

Tribes needs a mention, but I feel it incumbent upon me to mention that Terra Nova Did It First. :) Which is actually what the info block after this one is one.

For now, however, one of my favorite games of all time...

System Shock (Looking Glass 1994, 3D)

Looking Glass's first actual shooter. System Shock took the technology they had originally developed for Ultima Underworld and ran with it, creating a technically impressive and impeccably designed shooter. As one of the few survivors of a mad AI's rampage, you must fight your way through the decks of Citadel Station, scavenging weapons and cybernetic upgrades as you do so, before ultimately jacking in to cyberspace and defeating her. It's not a continuous-action game like Doom, but instead focused on tense exploration with frequent, intense, but brief firefights.

On the engine side, it supports true 3d world geometry, static and animated 3d models, physics, dynamic lighting, render-to-texture, variable gravity, leaning and crouching, and cyberspace sections with Descent-style 6DOF controls. And it came out in 1994.

Between the impressive engine, a wide variety of weapons and cybermods available, and a huge, atmospheric station to explore, this game has aged beautifully even without engine remakes. Any FPS fan who has somehow managed to miss this classic owes it to themselves to play it.

Get it at: SystemShock.org. This package includes DOSBOX and patches for high resolution support (800x600 recommended), key remapping, and mouselook. (It might show up on GOG someday, but hasn't yet.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (Looking Glass 1996, 3D)

Looking Glass's follow-up to System Shock, Terra Nova moves from the cramped hallways of Citadel Station to the sprawling outdoor landscapes of the Alpha Centauri colonies. As a member of Strike Force Centauri, you put on your power armour, fuel up your jump jets, choose your weapons, and lead a squad of four to victory over marauders, warlords, and even traitors in the SFC itself.

If you're looking at that description and thinking "hang on, that sounds a lot like a singleplayer Tribes", that's because it is - Terra Nova is the game that inspired the Tribes series (and later, Section 8). Unlike its descendants, however, it is entirely singleplayer, partnering you with a squad of surprisingly competent AI teammates for a lengthy singleplayer campaign or randomly generated skirmish missions.

Much more frenetic and actiony than Looking Glass's other games, Terra Nova still has plenty of depth (and, as with most of their games, is far ahead of its time technically as well). While not quite the classic that System Shock is, it's still an excellent game that has aged well, and if the thought of a good, meaty, Tribes-style single-player game appeals to you, you should play this.

Get it at: CD Access has about 400 copies left. Like System Shock, we might see it on GOG someday, but not yet.
You will need: DOSBOX

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

Feel free to tell us all about them! I'll try to at least link awesome description posts in the OP.

Alright, here they are.

Ultima Underworld
Pathways into Darkness
System Shock
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri

Of these, if you play only one, make it System Shock. They're all good games, and all of historical interest to some degree or another, but System Shock is hands down the best game on that list, and not having played it is like forgetting to have played Quake, or Unreal Tournament.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 2, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jenova Project posted:

Ultima Underworld is pretty neat. Not sure if it's really a FPS though.

I wouldn't really call it one either, but I figure it deserves inclusion for three reasons:
- It's of great historical interest, both at the technical level, and since the first "classic" FPSes that aren't Pathways into Darkness, Catacombs 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, owe their existence to it
- It's arguably more of an FPS than Thief is, and that gets a spot in the OP and a banner
- It's a kickass game

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 24, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

B) That is pretty dorky yeah, but it's a fan conversion of a game windows people, or mac people, wouldn't be able to play today without emulation, and it takes literally 20 seconds to get out of.

And to address the rest of the question: there's nothing else like that, the rest of M1A1 is an unaltered conversion of M1.

quote:

C) Mouse control is horrible and should not be used. You will be vastly more successful if you use a combo of WASD for movement and arrows / keypad for looking. The game's return to center destroys mouse look, and it's too jerky to be accurate. Thems just the breaks. You can turn off return to center for single player but I think it's locked in for multi.

I find that if I turn turn down the sensitivity (which is stupidly high by default) it's fine. The mouse stops being jerky and becomes nice and smooth. The recentering in multiplayer is annoying but I still prefer it to aiming with the keyboard.

And yes, Marathon is a fantastic co-op FPS. If someone hasn't played it before, it becomes a slow, chill run through the storyline, and everyone has, you can play it as a balls-out high-speed shooter.

Descent also has co-op, and unlike Marathon it's much less story-focused (and all of the story happens in inter-level cutscenes), so in some ways it's even better suited.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Fun fact: Jason Jones, the developer of Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap, also made All Roads Lead to Sol (the final level of M2), and considered his work on All Roads to be an atonement for what he'd done in creating Colony Ship.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I decided to try out Duke3d: Attrition, and it's loads of fun. I'm not badass enough to handle the included user maps, so I've just been running through the original 3DR maps using it.

The problem is that upon completing episode 1, it appears to have gone insane. Rather than taking me to E2L01, it's taken me to Tier Drops (an E3 secret level), Freeway (another E3 secret level), and now Derelict (the second last level of E4).

Is it meant to be doing this? How do I get it to play the levels in order? Episode 1 worked fine...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

About a decade later (IE real soon), bungie is going to be releasing Marathon Infinity's source. Among other things, this should allow Aleph One to play back Marathon Infinity movies (it currently can only reply marathon 2 movies without falling out of sync)

That's going to be pretty neat. For a while it couldn't even play back M2 movies, as I recall, which made watching the Vidmaster Challenge recordings kind of problematic.

Something that's always kind of bugged me about Aleph One, though - the Duke, Doom, and Descent source ports add all kinds of extra features, ranging from the fairly basic (like the ability to look up and down without distortion, which A1 still doesn't have after twelve years, or the addition of new game modes) to the fairly complex (like complete redesigns of the lighting model, and support for other games that used similar engines).

A1, however, has none of this - and considering the sneering dismissal such suggestions are met with in #alephone and similar places, it seems to be a cultural issue, not a technical one. But why is this?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

I imagine some of the lack of changes has to do with... why in marathon? Like, lighting and 3d models and such. Sure, I guess it's neat, but most maps wont take advantage of that stuff. At a certain point, why add features that are obsolete to a 15 year old engine that has nothing that uses them that a 10 (12) year old engine like UT 99 can do vastly better?

The same question applies to the other games I mentioned too, though. And the answer is usually "because it makes the game more fun, more accessible, or more aesthetically pleasing". For example, improved lighting can add a lot to the atmosphere without changing the map design (see Descent for an example), and improved controls make the game more fun to play in general. In the case of things like support for 3d models and high-res textures, there's no immediate payoff, but the community will often take advantage of such features - see the Marathon high resolution packs (which seem to have vanished from the sourceforge site for some reason), or the HRP for Duke3d.

quote:

I think at this point, improvements are made to try and make the Marathon experience better, not necessarily pack in other experiences just because they can. That's just my perspective though.

There's still a lot of work that can be done in that area, though; my personal pet peeve is that you still can't look up or down more than 20º or so, and even that is nauseating, but that's far from the only thing that could be improved. But the devs seem completely dismissive of such changes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Periodiko posted:

That sounds way easier said than done. Like, how do you just "improve the lighting" of Marathon? Basically every surface has it's own lighting which effects how bright things are on it, and how light the texture is, there aren't any light sources in the conventional sense, it's all simulated. High-res textures are a lot more sensible, but I think 3d model support almost never pays off, even super high profile games like Doom don't really make very good use of them outside of items or whatever.

:sigh: Obviously not every upgrade makes sense in every game. Descent already had moving light sources and whatnot, so improving the way light is rendered made a significant visual improvement to the game. Because of Marathon's lighting model, however, it doesn't even make sense to discuss such things.

My question wasn't "why doesn't A1 have all of these improvements from other engines", it's "why are the A1 devs hostile to even the concept of improvement, regardless of what actual improvement is being discussed".

A contributing factor may be the way some parts of A1 are written in the most rear end-backwards way possible, making any change a pain in the rear end, though.

hippieman posted:

Also Aleph One got really loving Linuxy. Programs for the Mac are supposed to be elegant and easy to use, not a cluster gently caress.

"Unzip A1, unzip Marathon to same folder, play" is a clusterfuck?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah man, I'm not sure. Maybe you asked like a dick? I was pretty into A1 wayyyyy back in the day, getting nightly builds and on the open source mailing list, and everybody was really friendly. Aside from some random cock suckers I played with online once, everyone in the marathon community has been super nice to me.

Check the logs if you like - #alephone, August 2007. People were friendly but dismissive - "You want to be able to look up and down without feeling queasy? That would ruin the Marathon Experiencetm; feel free to fork and create your own version that uses rotational- rather than shear-pitch, but this is not a feature A1 will ever have." "Shear-pitch gives some people motion sickness? Well, even with rotation-pitch it won't look as good as HL2, so those people won't play it anyways." "Being able to look 90 degrees up and down would significantly change game balancejust like mouselook already does, so including it would be a terrible idea even as an optional feature."

hippieman's screenshots neatly illustrate my point (as does playing around with eDuke32 or gzDoom for thirty seconds) - it seems that all of these source ports started out with a "let's push this engine to the limits, and make the game more accessible while we do it" attitude. The other source ports kept this attitude, whereas A1 has regressed to "let's add mouselook and call it a day :effort:".

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

I definitely disagree that A1 is hostile to improvements. Just the OpenGL shaders and the addition of glowmaps to textures has resulted in worlds of improvement, at least visually. Look at this.

While that is pretty cool, I have to say that I would prefer the ability to look up and down over the ability to have bloom.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yep. :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished playing through the 3DR levels in War of Attrition. I really cannot recommend this mod highly enough; it's Duke3d turned up to absolutely insane levels. It starts out pretty much like normal DN3D, and then by the end you're willing tactical nukes into existence, raising slain enemies to fight for you, firing black holes and incendiary missiles, and using pipebombs that spawn dozens of seeking flashbang submunitions.

And you need it, too, because the enemies get upgraded along with you. It's incredibly over the top and possibly the most :black101: FPS experience I've had.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I decided to try some of the fanmaps included in War of Attrition, and ouch. Most of them seem to be much harder than the 3DR maps. At least one was buggy and required noclipping. Few of them seem to have the same flow and sense of direction that the 3DR maps have.

Are there any fan-made episodes that might work well with WoA (if this is even possible)? Or should I take a break from WoA and check out WGRealms?

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

For the sake of getting things done, those interested should join irc.freenode.net #alephone to discuss the problems and bugs you're having with the actual developers.

Joined #alephone.

Ops there are the same people who said "this will never be fixed, feel free to fix it yourself but your changes will never be considered for inclusion in A1" originally. Not seeing a lot of incentive to report the same issues to the same people who originally declared them WONTFIX.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, this is embarassing: I'm stuck on the first level of the WG Realms episode in WGR2. I've explored the two abandoned buildings and surrounding grounds, found a golden apple, ammo pack, and pain jewel...and now I can't figure out what to do next. There doesn't seem to be anything I can interact with or anywhere I can go.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nope. I'll keep looking, but I'd swear I searched everywhere.

Edit: didn't realize that those decorations under the TVs could be frobbed. Dammit.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 25, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Is it just me, or is WGR2 incredibly bastard hard? I'm having a lot more trouble with it than I did with War of Attrition.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

M2 is a big step forwards in terms of level design, but it's hard to just skip M1 because of all the story. And of course if the shearing is giving you headaches, that's an issue in all the games.

Back in Duke3d land, I'm about ready to give up on WGR2. Even playing on the easiest difficulty doesn't help, because the problem isn't how fast I die; it's the fact that the game keeps throwing bullet-sink enemies at me that I simply do not have enough ammunition to kill, and when it does this in the first room of the loving level I can't even use POW to deal with them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Your ultimate goal is to reach the bridge and shut down SHODAN. Everything else flows naturally from that; your sub-goals will become apparent because they're things blocking you from reaching or using the elevator to the next deck. Lansing's transmissions and the audio logs you find will give you clues as to what you need to do, as well (or tell you outright, in some cases). Usually, this involves foiling whatever plan SHODAN is working on at the moment.

If at any point you don't know what you should be doing, explore. Odds are it'll become obvious when you try to use the elevator, or you'll find a log or receive an email making things clear.

As for more general advice...
- for your first game, setting difficulty to 2 across the board is probably fine. Definitely don't turn Mission down below that, since doing so will remove parts of the plot. You can turn the others down safely if you like.
- 640x480 is the minimum resolution that looks good. 800x600 is the maximum resolution that reliably runs smoothly.
- In the settings, set logs to AUDIO AND TEXT. The text doesn't always match up to the voice, and if you're looking up an access code or something it's easier to skim the text.
- Click on any cybermod icon (or press the corresponding number key) to toggle it; right-click to access settings for that cybermod. You start with one preinstalled; left-click will enable fullscreen mode, right-click will let you customize the HUD. (You want to be in fullscreen mode. It makes it a lot easier to see what's going on.)
- Don't waste your magpulse ammo. It's your best weapon against bots and ammo doesn't become plentiful in deck 4.
- Nonlethal ammo is usually a waste of time.
- Read every log you find, and pay attention to emails from SHODAN and Lansing.
- Before picking up mines, examine them to make sure they aren't already armed.
- Most levels have a medical chamber; find the override switch for it and it becomes a respawn point.
- Recharge stations and the much rarer medical beds can be used as often as you like and will never run dry.
- Once you gain access to an area you can return to it at any time. A fair amount of backtracking is involved in the late game, often returning to areas that were inaccessible or extremely dangerous the first time around.
- Setting one of your MFDs to minimap mode is a good idea. As you upgrade your mapping implant, it will add features like camera detection and a high-res compass; upgrading your targeting implant will show enemies on the minimap.

I have played a shitload of System Shock; if you have any other questions, or any of this is unclear, feel free to ask.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 26, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cray posted:

It's disappointing that the last game is not officially named Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy. That would be a rad name. SWDF4JK3JO2JA.

It may not say that on the box, but it will always be named that in my heart.

I had a lot of trouble getting into Jedi Knight, largely because of the janky lightsaber handling, but Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are both fun on a bun. Especially once you enable lightsaber dismemberment and duels become stylishly brutal one-hit-kill affairs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sheepshaver is really the closest thing, but it's not nearly as easy to use as Dosbox - you have to actually get install disk images for MacOS and install them on it. It emulates a blank Macintosh computer, not an OS. It's also, IME, not as fast as dosbox.

In general, if there are both MacOS and DOS versions of a game available, you'll have a much easier time with the DOS version; is there a reason you didn't just pick it up on Steam?

Alternately, you could wait for the XL Engine to be finished and then play it in that, if it'll load the Mac resources.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

There's Deathmatch Classic, which is basically a port of Q1DM to the Half-Life engine, maps included - but I don't know what the community is like these days.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Flubby posted:

Point of my post is to ask how Aliens vs. Predator holds up today. After Blood and Duke I tried to go back to Doom 2. I used GZDoom and Brutal Doom but even with those improvements I just can't do it. I don't know if I've just played too much Doom or Blood and Duke have spoiled me, but I am getting bored stupid in these mazes of corridors and searching for keys. I can't think of much else that really holds up as well as the two games I just got done with, so how does AvP play now? I see it brought up a lot as a game that was terrifying at the time.

AvP1 holds up quite well, although it's fairly difficult. I played it for the first time a few years ago and had a blast.

And while you're checking out old FPSes that have aged well, take a look at System Shock and Terra Nova (and possibly the Marathon trilogy - M1's level design has aged pretty poorly but M2 and Mi are still excellent, and it's worth playing through M1 for the story).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ What do those do?

Vita posted:

Is there any Doom mod like War of Attrition? Or at least a way to do an endless mode of WoA with the original 3DR maps? These usermaps are horrible :smith:

There's the 3DR Levels episodes in WoA, but those play them in order, not randomly. I'm not sure how well random 3DR episodes would work, honestly, because the usermaps are all balanced on the assumption that you'll be starting with just a pistol, but the 3DR maps assume you carry weapons over from map to map.

Also, while I found that the maps in Random Levels 1 are poo poo, I switched to Random Levels 2 and have been quite enjoying it, so maybe give RL2/3 a shot instead of RL1 if you haven't already.

That said, I'd love a mod like WoA for Quake or Quake 2.

Rather Dashing posted:

I don't suppose anyone is aware of any modernisation mods for Ultima Underworld 1 & 2? Just got them off of GoG and while I don't mind playing them as they are I'd obviously like mouselook at the very least and improved graphics at best.

There are none. The UUW engine is not as well understood as the System Shock one, although it uses many of the same formats, and System Shock was always more popular, so most of the hacking effort concentrates on that. The TSSHP project supported UUW as well as System Shock, but as it was never finished, this doesn't help much. You have to play UUW vanilla or not at all, I'm afraid.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So after playing through Singularity I'm in the mood for more of an old-school FPS. I considered replaying Quake 4, then remembered I never actually finished Heretic, so I'm getting stuck in to episode 4.

I was wondering, though: are there any good high-res textures and sprites for Heretic? Googling around found some references to "Razuman's texture pack", but all the download links are dead.

I'm also wondering if there are any Q2 ports out there that support the old mission packs, as I never finished them back in the day and kind of want to while I'm in an old-school FPS mood. I used q2max to replay the original a while ago, but as far as I can tell it doesn't support the expansions.

I'm also considering trying Doom again, oh god what is happening to me :ohdear:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

While I'm asking questions - worth getting Heretic II?

Rather Dashing posted:

KMQuake 2 is a very solid Quake 2 port with support for official expansions through it's main menu. Some of the graphical updates are quite nice too.

Awesome, thank you.

Edit: man, I'd forgotten how the Tome is so much more than a simple quad damage. :black101: I AM ANNIHILATION INCARNATE :black101:

And I loving need it, because Shadow of the Serpent Riders loves throwing you into melee fights with multiple Iron Liches. :wtc:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 7, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

I've posted a playthrough of Doom episode 1 with the 10x mod. I call it 'Decaduple Doom', even though decaduple isn't a real word.

That seems like it would go really well with Brutal Doom.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Man, I had forgotten how much unfun bullshit there is in the Q2 expansion packs. Getting to play around with the Phalanx Gun is not worth this.

What do I need to try out Brutal Doom? Doom + Brutal Doom pk3 + gzDoom?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jblade posted:

You're talking about the reskinned Gladiators and Tanks with shields so strong that they take several BFG blasts to kill, and are only difficult in the sense that they chew up all your loving ammunition right? Because yeah, those guys suck and are why I always remember why I don't replay The Reckoning pack more often. Ground Zero isn't as bad since at least all the new enemies look cool, but those loving turrets are almost as bad.

Pretty much. I think I had a lot more patience for this poo poo back when I was playing Q2 for the first time (my first FPS, in fact).

quote:

...now talking about those add-on packs has made me sad though since we'll never receive anything like them again, just DLC that only has about a quarter of the cool stuff.

You know what I really miss? All the crazy weapons. Quake 4 is the last FPS I remember playing with ridiculous over the top weapons. Even Singularity mostly just had generic bulletary weapons.

I miss the railgun and BFG from Q2, and the spreadfire and fusion cannons from Descent, and the snarks and shockroach and acid spitting shoulder fish from Half-Life and Op4, and the Devastator and shrink beam from Duke3d, and the plasma rifle from System Shock...

Hell, even interesting weapons seem to be thin on the ground these days. Duke3d had "mundane" weapons that could still be used in interesting ways, like the pipebombs and laser tripmines, but these days everything just seems to be "you point it at the enemy and damage comes out" with minor variations on accuracy and rate of fire.

gently caress, now I need a cane and a lawn and some drat kids to yell at.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, let's say I have been inspired by those videos of Brutal Doom and want to give Doom another try.

My checklist so far is:
- gzDoom
- Brutal Doom
- Doom 2011 soundtrack
- Doom itself

Am I missing anything? Would I be better off starting with Doom 2, or some particular fanWAD? Are there any texture/sprite upgrade packs I should grab?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ChuckDHead posted:

As for Half Life Source, since it does nothing to the visuals, is there really any reason to use it beyond the masochistic desire to make some of the jumping bits more annoying since the suspended crates are now physics-enabled?

Ragdolls! And the water and lighting are slightly prettier! :v:

Seriously, though, there's no reason to play it. Ragdolls are not worth being stuck with the lovely original models and the complete absence of mod support.

ISTR it was originally meant to be a sort of "look how easy it is to port GoldSrc stuff to Source" tech demo, but none of the HL1 mods have actually been ported, so...

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 17, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I tried out Brutal Doom and drat, this is pretty awesome. Most of my old complaints about Doom still stand, but somehow they don't matter as much anymore. I installed the R3D textures and they look pretty good, too; going to give the DHTP textures a look as well and see which I prefer.

A few questions, though -
  • Are there any high-res sprite packs?
  • Any other recommended visual upgrades?
  • The enemies seem really sparse, far fewer than I remember - does it ramp up later in the game, or should I turn up the difficulty (will this add more enemies, or just make the existing ones nastier?), or should I install 10x Doom, or what?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:gonk: I decided to try out Ultraviolence and accidentally turned it all the way up to Nightmare.

It does not gently caress around at that difficulty, does it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

My favorite Totally Batshit Weapons Mod for Half-Life will always be Rocket Crowbar. The MP5 shoots lightning, the RPG lays proximity detonated NPCs, the Tau teleports other players, the shotgun creates miniature black holes, the grenades cancel friction, the hivehand is an ice beam and the crossbow launches rocket-propelled harpoons.

The pistol altfire could be used to propel yourself in zero gravity, too. map killbox; sv_gravity 0

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This may have been answered but I didn't seem to find it. Is there anyway to get the Heretic/Hexen series to run in wide screen? I'm using zDoom and I thought I was able to run Doom II in widescreen with it but I might be mistaken

If zDoom has the same options as gzDoom, under renderer options there should be entries for both "aspect ratio" and "resolution". Set them to, say, 16:10 and 1680x1050 and you're good to go.

If it doesn't, try using gzDoom instead.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Hell, it even asks you "Are you sure? This skill level isn't even remotely fair." when you select it. How much more warning do people need?

If you accidentally select "Very Hard" in ZDLSharp, you don't get that warning - the game starts up in Nightmare mode.

Vaos posted:

Don't want to ruin your fun, but I meant using the sp maps in multiplayer. [Rocket Crowbar] might still work in sp though, who knows!

It totally does, and I wasted hours playing RC singleplayer.

The shapeshifting stuff is meant to be a deathmatch feature, though; enable it when hosting a game and it'll plop some shapeshifting powerups around the map, whether you're using a singleplayer map or a deathmatch map.

BigEyeGuy posted:

Rise of The Trade was the first game to let you aim up and down
As mentioned here

:siren: Bullshit alert! :siren:

Marathon came out on the same day, and supported rocket jumping and looking up and down. System Shock came out a few months earlier, and not only had looking up and down, but also leaning, crouching, dynamic lighting, and a true 3d renderer with 3d model support (albeit no rocket jumping). Ultima Underworld came out a few years earlier and had most of those features, too.

I would say "someone hasn't read the OP", but for some reason the writeups on System Shock and UUW still haven't been added to the OP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Some of these Doom levels are confusing the poo poo out of me. I think I skipped most of E2M7 by mistake, and E2M6 has two exits - I skipped the "easy" one because I figured there must be something neat behind all of those locked doors, only to find a second exit room. Why does it have two exits? It can't be normal vs. secret, because the entrance to the secret level is earlier in the episode.

Still, I'm actually having a lot of fun. :) Thanks for getting me to try Doom again, FPS thread!

E: also, where do I have to put the files to get high-res skyboxes working?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 18, 2011