Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

small change posted:

I'm using GZdoom and installed the latest build I could find of beautiful Doom. It doesn't seem to really change anything though. Am I missing something on how to get it working other than inserting the files into the Gzdoom folder?

Ok, this kind of thing gets asked enough that I think a little blurb is needed in the OP.

Here's a Brief Guide To Doing Doom Stuff:

One Time Setup:
1. Get my launcher QLZ from the OP. Stick the exe in your gzdoom directory.
2. Copy your doom.wad, doom2.wad, etc from wherever they are now into the gzdoom directory.
3. Run launcher.exe
4. Select gzdoom.exe for the gzdoom location (it's not obvious at all but it also supports chocolate doom and prboom+)
5. Select your gzdoom directory as the IWAD directory

To Play Something:
1. Select the IWAD you want from the list
2. Click and drag the wads you want into additional files
2a. Use up and down to rearrange the files if needed - I think Beautiful Doom may need this but I don't remember the correct order.
3. Click Launch

It will remember all those settings between runs. If you want to switch between different things you play a lot, type a name in for the profile (at the bottom) and click save. Then you can switch profiles by selecting one and clicking load.

It supports most useful doom filetypes - wad, pk3, deh, replays (in prboom+), and savegames.

I rather like adding my gzdoom savegame to my profile for a megawad that I'm playing (I usually only play 1 or 2 levels at a time). Then I can just hit launch and get dropped right back into the action.

Hope that helps!

I updated the github page with that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Nah it just gets a script error and dies.

Shooting Monsters With Guns works in Heretic though.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Dominic White posted:

the chainsaw is genuinely useful, etc etc.

What do you mean? I haven't noticed anything different about it.

Dominic White posted:

Lots of nice little details, like the Spider Mastermind taking almost no damage if you shoot its legs, too.

That explains why I blew through so much ammo on AV19 :doh:

The big problem with Brutal Doom that I've seen is that the BFG has a blast radius. In maps which were balanced around the player being able to BFG things at point blank range, things get... difficult. The blast radius on the plasma rifle causes similar problems for me.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Arcsech posted:

I'm making a folder all pre-set up with GZDoom, QLZD, Brutal Doom, some updated music, & Stronghold with already made profiles in the launcher that they can just unzip to C:\Doom & play

This is EXACTLY the kind of scenario I wrote QLZD for! Yaaay!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

This reminds me, is anyone aware of a nice front end for playing back doom.exe/doom2.exe compatible demos in a compatibility-focussed source port like PRBOOM+ or Chocolate Doom? When I was running Windows XP I managed to properly associate demo .lmps with PRBOOM+ for that, but can't figure out how to do it properly in Windows 7. And ZDL which I normally use as a launcher doesn't seem to have any way to autostart a demo when loaded.

QLZD should do it, just add the lmp to the file list. You may need to set the compat flags in the little command line box though. I just tried a plutonia speed run demo with prboom+ and it worked a peach.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I'd basically have to completely rewrite the loading/saving to do that, I'm relying on Autohotkey's ini file support for all of that. I'm already looking at rewriting the thing in a more rational programming language, the only reason I haven't done it already is that I've been looking for a way to do it and still keep it < 1MB with no external dependencies (and not be painful to write).

Do you just want this for readability?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I'll keep it in mind for the next version, if I ever make it.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Lawman 0 posted:

Isn't john romero actually working on a level for that wad or something?

I don't think so, but he did pop into the thread to weigh in on the E1 design aesthetic a few times at least.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

TOOT BOOT posted:

Hey SavageMessiah, I found a small bug in your front end. If you change to the Windows Classic theme on Windows 7, this happens:

Thanks, I put in a ticket on github for it so I don't forget about it.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Id had physical sculptures, the ROTT team digitized pictures of random team members wearing goofy costumes.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
You should upgrade dosbox before you fool with the clockspeed, GOG ships an older version and it's quite a bit faster now.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

bbcisdabomb posted:

you get 10 health after each execution

:aaaaa: How did I not know this?!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
In V13 plasma splash from enemies won't hurt you, should make that sort of thing much more tolerable now.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

victrix posted:

Could someone point me in the direction of a great Doom wad - just good design, fun fights, etc. Nothing that's 'you have one bullet per imp and lots of annoying door/switch puzzles'

Gameplay mods are cool too, if they're worthy.

I just dusted off my ancient wads, I'd like to induldge in some nostalgia for an evening, with a fresh set of maps.

Try Jenesis or Reverie for Doom 2 or Double Impact or Redemption for Doom 1. That's just off the top of my head.

The Kins posted:

Doom The Way Id Did is out!

Dear GOD, so much Doom stuff came out this year :psyduck:
I think the rate that Doom stuff is being produced is ACCELERATING. Not that I'm complaining!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Guillermus posted:

Quoting this because i've been playing the first 4 maps, and while they're different, they feel familiar and is a good thing. You think you're playing John Romero's maps... in a good way. Im just starting and feels like the best wad i've played in years (coupled with brutal doom).

He (John Romero) actually popped into the development thread to give advice and answer questions.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there a link to that?

He didn't post much but here you go:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=443033&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Ah yes, the cram as many controls as possible into 1 square inch school of ui design.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

tooooooo bad posted:

I can tell some of you guys could use a few pro Doom monster strats so here's a helpful video.

note: these may not work as well in Brutal Doom because it's extra brütal

Haha don't try to kill Pain Elementals in close quarters in Brutal Doom. You will be schooled in the ways of pain (and explosions).

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm really at a loss for how to load memorial.wad in PrBoom+.

I get as far as renaming it to "doom.wad," but then, if I understand the error message, it complains about the iwad tag header in the file being wrong.

Is there a better way to play custom wads on MacOs?

From the terminal, assuming prboom+ is on your path:
prboom-plus -iwad <path to doom2.wad> -file <path to memorial.wad>

Can't say more than that, no mac.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

On the other hand, I tried Chest 2 out and was pleasantly surprised with the first couple of maps. Then everything went out the window and these sprawling, tedious maps started taking their place. No real art direction or focus, just imbalanced messes that give me the impression they were put together as quickly as possible.

drat, I just started CC2 and thought it seemed to be pretty fun, too bad it goes awry later.

I just played through Phobos Massacre and Double Impact with Brutal Doom coop with a friend I haven't seen in ages. Fun as hell but dbimpact on UV with BD got pretty crazy near the end. Shotgunners!! :argh:

I've been enjoying the thread a lot too. I'm thrilled at how QLZ has been received, it's really rare for me to release software to the masses. One of these days I'll get to the cross-platform rewrite.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

co199 posted:

That would be "Killcreek" Case.

Also god drat do I miss PCXL. I remember vividly the "Golden Crackpipe Awards" for poo poo games.

Maaaan, I remember that issue. The good old days...

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
That's... a lot of waist-high cover, and closed in areas. Gross.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

maev posted:

What do people consider to be the 'best few wads' for Doom at this point? Also, what's the consensus on Final Doom, is Plutonia as great as people say it is?

Requiem!

I don't like Plutonia, the levels are ugly and it's frustratingly difficult for me. TNT was okay.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

closeted republican posted:

If you think Plutonia is bad, wait until you try Hell Revealed. HR in UV is one "oh gently caress" moment one after another once you get past the levels 1-11. Once you've got a decent grasp of Doom's mechanics, it's pretty fun. You need to be good at starting enemy in-fights, know how enemies behave, and have good dodging skills and it is doable. I've got a UV HR run that's almost done, and it's been the most intense fun I've had in Doom for a while.

I've beaten HR and HR2 on UV in coop. But I hate playing that kind of stuff SP. I know how to do all the things you mention but I don't play Doom to prove my e-manhood, I just want to have fun.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

closeted republican posted:

I actually played UV HR1 in SP for fun. :v:

You are broken inside :unsmigghh:. I guess I'm just a big ol' baby.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I'd like to make a map for this but somehow whenever I try to make a map I end up with STRAIGHT HALLS SQUARE ROOMS HURPADERP. I guess doom mapping just doesn't trigger whatever part of my brain is good at not being retarded.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Shockingly, I actually have some decent ideas and a few rooms mapped out. This might turn into a finished map, but don't hold your breath. I never finish projects like this.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Going to try "recovering from IV sedation mapping" right now! :v:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

catlord posted:

So, are there any other good Heretic/Hexen mods? I'm not liking the way that Curse of D'Sparil's difficulty comes from hordes of enemies in super, super close quarters and spawning behind you and not giving you a whole lot of ammo and health.

I seem to recall The History of Fruit being fun.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Haha, you can probably take me off that list. My urge to map has long passed, as the urge to do anything productive always does.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I noticed that Reelism used a pk7 file and QLZ didn't recognize it in the open dialog. WELL NO LONGER!

New release here: https://bitbucket.org/SavageMessiah/qlz/downloads/Launcher.exe

Note the move to bitbucket - it would loverly if The Kins would update the OP!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

SavageMessiah posted:

I noticed that Reelism used a pk7 file and QLZ didn't recognize it in the open dialog. WELL NO LONGER!

New release here: https://bitbucket.org/SavageMessiah/qlz/downloads/Launcher.exe

Note the move to bitbucket - it would loverly if The Kins would update the OP!

Whyyyy do I always post this crap at the end of a page?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Dominic White posted:

Is there any better way to search the doomworld/idgames archive? They've got a shitton of info on each item, including date, creator, score, title, game, etc, but there's no way to actually sort through it aside from a pretty incoherent 'highest rated' list.

Finding anything recent seems to require trawling the Newstuff Archives on doomworld, and some of those reviews are painful. It's like ZDoom, Detail and Realm667 are dirty words there.

I guess if you hate yourself you could grab all the txt files from the ftp and dig through it with grep or suchlike.

I suppose that may be a very loose definition of "better".

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
This weekend, instead of playing doom as I have been for quite a while, with brutal doom or beautiful doom in gzdoom, I played DTWID in chocolate doom. It was fun! There's still a lot to be said for vanilla doom.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

If you've looked at the image that I linked, you'll see that I marked that I was unable to expand the window. It's stuck at that size.

Redownload and try again, I just uploaded a new build that should autosize the form.
The text will still be weird on the buttons, but everything should be visible now.

That's as good as it's going to get until I work up the motivation to rewrite the thing in something besides AHK. It's been sufficient for me and mine for years now so sadly I haven't got a lot of motivation to fix it. :shobon:

Edit: What the hell DPI are your fonts at? That's loving massive.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

THANK YOU, this is exactly the idiot-proof guide that I needed! I redownloaded that Quickerly Launcher thing and I still couldn't get it to work because I ran into the same issues, so I had just given up. You didn't have to change my title back, though. I agree with the fortunately employed goon who was able to afford my title because s/he is able to earn a paycheck for a living. I do deserve to be called stupid because my eyes don't have the ability to read small text like normal people do, so therefore I don't deserve the same quality of life as everyone else. No one should have any understanding or empathy for people who requires special assistance to function. That being said, I've changed my text size back to Windows' factory settings and will have to break out the magnifier tool whenever squinting and leaning really close to the monitor is insufficient.

Would the launcher have an effect on what order the maps are loaded? I gave this a shot with the Wolfendoom conversion and at the end of E1M1, I took the secret elevator to take me to E1M10 and it took me straight to E1M2 instead.

Wow, I'm so sorry that I expressed moderate surprise at the size of your fonts and then attempted to help you. You could have said that the change didn't help you so that I could try again rather than feeling sorry for yourself. I won't make that mistake again.

The dialog is fixed size because it's a titanic pain in the rear end to make a GUI written in AHK to resize cleanly. Sorry it harms you. Try another launcher like ZDLSharp.

For what it's worth, I didn't buy the title.

Sorry for the derail.

EDIT: Actually ZDLSharp probably won't size right either so this is how to do it without a launcher:
1. Make a directory somewhere like C:\Doom or whatever
2. Extract GZdoom or whatever port you like there
3. Put doom2.wad (or dodom.wad) and whatever other wads you want there
4. Win+r, cmd
5. cd C:\Doom
6. gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad <your wad here>

EDIT2: I made that mistake again :unsmith:

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 27, 2012

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Encryptic posted:

On another note - are there any other good megawads that came out recently?

Have you played Reverie, Jenesis, or Doom 2 Unleashed? All those came out last year. I've only played some of Reverie so I don't know if the other two count as "good".

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Yodzilla posted:

Unreal II is easily one of my biggest disappointments in gaming. Good lord that was a letdown.

I got it on Steam during one of the sales based on dim memories of enjoyment, played it for about an hour. I'm not sure what I was smoking the first time I played it - it's.... not great.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Skulltag/Zandronum has a headless server, and I imagine zdaemon and odamex have one as they are multiplayer focused ports. All of those will only work with clients of the appropriate flavor though. There isn't a doom server that runs with more than one port as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Reive posted:

insanely intensive.

That's pretty much what Deus Vult 2 is ;)

Bouchacha posted:

I love Deus Vult 2 but most of the levels absolutely kill my FPS on my Win7 Macbook air. Short of running GZDoom on 4:3 320x200 resolution, what's the most effective way to boost FPS while keeping 16:9 resolution? (I have an external monitor)

The readme that comes with it is pretty extensive, there's probably info on the optimal way to run it in there. You might just be SOL, doom source ports aren't particularly efficient and the scales DV2 operates at.