Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Decided to play Ultimate Torment and Torture, after having failed to complete it, geeze, a couple years ago, when I first got Doom, now. I love the gothic-industrial look, even more than when I first played it (probably 'cause I played Quake in the interim). But Goddamn! I forgot how hard it was. Are there any other wads with the same style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Swolegoat posted:

Are there any cool mods for duke3d aside from Attrition? Also, any mods for BLOOD I should know about?

For Blood? DeathWish. DeathWish is awesome.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

:neckbeard: I should probably update my version of GZDoom, the revision I'm currently using seems to have broken the railgun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

That was amazing. Those dogs though... maybe a bit too fast? My very first round I got Reelism 64 and laughed the entire round. I don't even remember what the enemies were or the weapons, just the fog.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Is it just me or does the latest Reelism not have automatic weapon switching? I have it set in my player options, but it doesn't seem to be working.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Kins posted:

I disabled it because a guy made a solid case for it and we both forgot about that setting. :downs: I'll try and push out a new version soon that fixes that and a couple of other little things.

Ah, thanks! I'm loving the mod a lot.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Alpha3KV posted:

We're getting near the final hour of Wolfenstein 3D's 20th birthday, so I figured it might be appropriate to post the best Downfall parody, bar none:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQdzexzbumc&hd=1

God bless you, son.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Say, are there any good mods for Heretic and Hexen? I would especially be interested in Hexen mods, since I love the atmosphere and gameplay (though I could use more weapons), but I hate the level design, and a mod that had a more Heretic-like level design and progression would be extremely cool.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I knew Reelism was cool before, but I just fought a dog with bees in his mouth and when he barks he shoots bees at you.

He's also the Pope!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, are there any other good Heretic/Hexen mods? I'm not liking the way that Curse of D'Sparil's difficulty comes from hordes of enemies in super, super close quarters and spawning behind you and not giving you a whole lot of ammo and health.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Beat UT&T. Playing on normal since I'm not as amazing as everyone else. I ended up God-moding myself to knock the final boss down to half health after like, dying fifty times in the home stretch. Still died some more before I finally killed him. Count that as a win, especially when the loving source Guardians would one-shot me when I was at full health. Now I'm on the Lost Episode. Once I beat this, are there any other good mods with the same theme? I love the Gothic-Industrial feel of it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's tough to find entire WADs that emulate UT&T's Tormentor667's distinct style. For wad compilations on par with UT&T's quality, I would recommend "ZPack: Random Maps for ZDoom", especially since Tormentor667 has a few maps in that megawad.

"Speed of Doom" has an interesting feel to it that you might, enjoy, as well.

Well, I'm not necessarily looking for ones that have the same play-style, just the same look and feel. Zpack is interesting so far, though!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

God drat, Epic 2. I'm not quite certain where I stumbled upon it, but I love the levels and the look and feel, but I hate the monsters. loving Revenants and Archviles and loving Spider Masterminds when the levels are so cramped and ammo so scarce. I love everything else about it though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, Epic 2's later levels take a one-way trip to crazy town. I can't remember (somewhere around level 15-17) there's a room with an arch-vile and 4 Cyberdemons that you have to kill. Makes play-thrus with Brutal Doom pretty aggravating. I've heard the WAD is sublime with WildWeasel's Nazis, though.

I'm on level 3-4 :gonk:

This... may not be the mod for me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

On the last episode of Scythe2, really enjoying it. How similar is Scythe and Scythe X? I also picked up Alien Vendetta, because I read the Scythe2 was sorta similar.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

JackMackerel posted:

Is there any way to force OpenGL on Duke Nukem 3D? Yes, I know I should be ashamed for getting an Intel HD Graphics-powered laptop, but it was a gift. It SHOULD be OpenGL compatible, and I want to try some of the polymer-only mods in DN3D.

I believe adding -forcegl in the shortcut should work.

Edit: Haha, oh gently caress, Map23 of Scythe 2, what the gently caress.

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 12, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Man, gently caress Thy Flesh Consumed. I realized, after getting exploded in Scythe 2 Map23, that as much as I've played it, I've never actually beaten Doom or Doom 2. So I started up The Ultimate Doom. I have beaten Episode 1 before, so I jumped into Episode 2, and then 3. I beat both of them in like, 30 minutes each. Then I started Thy Flesh Consumed. It just doesn't feel fair like, say, UT&T did in its difficulty.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Map 1 of E4 is really bad and should be skipped, but Map 2 is an absolute classic.

I'm on M3 right now, and M1 and 2 were a pain in the loving rear end. Hated them. M3 is a lot better, gampeplay-wise, at least. It's astounding how ugly these levels can be.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Finished Thy Flesh Consumed, moving on to Doom 2. Those level designs, man. Some were pretty good, but some... God, what was it, House of Pain in Inferno? Hideous and terrible level design.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Thy Flesh Consumed is like one massive dick move, really. Doom II is so much better and more coherent.

I love how, after all the dick moves, I finished off the Spider Mastermind in Thy Flesh Consumed super easy. He got caught up infighting a Baron of Hell, and you only need three BFG blasts to take him down. The first time I died in Inferno was to the Spider Mastermind, I was expecting a tougher fight.

Kazvall posted:

Uh, it's called THE HOUSE OF PAIN for a reason.

Looking at that level is like driving needles into my eye.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Did they remove SiN from Steam?

VV I thought the first two, three maps were pretty bad, but the rest were pretty good, though E4M7 I think, wasn't too great.

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 29, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

The worst thing is that every single attempt to create an "oldschool" FPS that I've ever seen, no matter whether it's by a big studio or an independent group, has basically failed completely on every level to really nail that feeling. Hard Reset was a title that billed itself that way, and it was basically a sci-fi Call of Duty that somebody slapped a coat of "oldschool" paint over. Like, you could tell they were at least trying to make you feel that way, but it just didn't work at all.

Could be worse. Could be Dark Salvation. :(

Jumping puzzles! Over lava! And insta-death spikes! And a lovely, lovely save system that drops you back at the very beginning of the level! And long, long levels! With death around every corner because, as mentioned, insta-death pits and lava!

I've had it for two years and still haven't beaten the first level. The game is 'pound nails through my dick because that's several magnitudes more fun that playing this poo poo' bad. My only consolation is that I won a free copy in a contest, rather than paying for it myself.

It's still not worth it.

But it looks nice!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vakal posted:

Has anyone played Powerslave (Exhumed) much?

I tried the PC version a few years back and found it too clunky. But recently I've been playing the PSX version on my PSP and have been loving it.

My problem with the PC version is the strafing speed. The Anubis-things could shoot at you from across the map and if you started strafing then, it owuld still hit you.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unreal Tournament '99 is currently on Steam for $2.49, or as part of the Unreal Deal Pack for (Unreal, Unreal 2, UT99, 2004, and UT3) for $9.99. This is a good time to purchase and keep a permanent install of UT99 on your PC so you aren't the laughing stock of your idiot nerd friends. Avoid being permanently branded as somebody who will never "get" games. It's also a good time to play Unreal, and then put on your rose-colored glasses and play Unreal 2.

Since I'll never get another chance to say this, I'd just like to point out that Unreal 2 marks the official end of the "Early FPS" era. Released in early 2003, it had a lot going for it: radical, UT99-style music (if you have any doubts, skip to 1:20 and slap yourself), imaginative locations (including diving into the butthole of a living planet), and a lot of promising features on the drawing board, such as an interactive crew and compelling alien creatures.

A lot was cut from the final product. Unlike the original Unreal--which had you crashlanding on a strange planet, teeming with both peaceful and hostile alien life--90% of Unreal 2 had shooting the same 3 flavors of mercenaries (light, medium, and heavy, of course) in different outfits. Only the thinnest veneer of Unreal remained, and it wasn't the colored lights or distinctly 90's sound effects and weapon selection. Unreal 2 was a strange, unhappy marriage of sci-fi and Medal of Honor, and signaled the shifting tide in FPS games.

The end.

Beautiful. More of a Quake man, myself, but that doesn't stop me from grabbing my dad's Anthology DVD and loading up some sweet, sweet UT99 action. Last time I tried it was all jerky, but I think that was an issue with the DX10 Renderer and my laptop automatically using the Intel HD chip instead of my sexy Graphics card, but I fixed that! Sadly the disc is two states away.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

You know, I've only played a little bit of the shareware version of RotT, but drat, this is exciting. Quakecon is going to be awesome.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Quatrefoil posted:

edit: there was such a feature in Blood 2? I guess I never played far enough/forgot it existed.

I don't remember it either, and I actually liked Blood 2.

As far as this goes, I am excited for a Blood Source Port. Come on, Jace, release that code.

Edit: vv Oh, ok, that makes sense, re-reading that.

Come on guys, I just want my Blood Source Port that can play mods easily and play in high resolutions.

If you want beast mode and stuff, make a mod.

catlord fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 4, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh, holy gently caress, the OP was where I heard about Eradicator! I got Dark Forces at a thrift store, and there was a copy of Eradicator jammed into the case with it, but I haven't tried it yet. Has anybody here played it?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Reive posted:

If you haven't watched John Carmack's QuakeCon keynote yet and are a tech nerd, do it, he's a loving genius and my hero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-iVFxgFWk

I caught the livestream, I think my favourite part was him talking about beaming images directly into your eye with lasers. And how he needed his buddy to tell him that testing this was a terrible idea. After he'd already done the test.

This man is a mad scientist.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

How does Doom64 EX work? I get the WadGen thing, and it then outputs an IWAD and a soundfont, but do you drop it into a source port of your choice then?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thanks for the answer. It figures, that's exactly what I'm using right now. I want to say that the early-game enemies (Grunts, Enforcers, Ogres, Knights, etc.) are all just retextured vanilla models (the Ogre's head, for example, is basically a pentagon) and pretty awkward looking. I really do love the lighting effects, though, especially with the Dark Knight in that video you linked. It's perfect for this sort of game.

I think there's a re-modelling project that's done everything in the base game, but I can't recall what it was called. I might be thinking of the re-texturing project, but I could have sword the enemies were less blocky.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I liked Blood 2. :(

But JESUS it is crash-prone on like, every computer. I haven't even tried it on my new Windows 7/64-Bit computer based completely on what I've heard about how it crashes even more frequently than on other systems. A good source port could fix that, but I have a sinking suspicion it's not coming.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

PlatinumJukebox posted:

I asked on the GOG thread, but I figured a second opinion wouldn't hurt.

So assume I have none of the games in the GOG FPS sale, and I'm solely interested in the single-player experience. What would you fine folks recommend?

Blood, Duke Nukem and Unreal. If it takes a lot to offend you, Postal 2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I'm thinking of doing a sort of an existential Postal 2 Let's Play, where the focus isn't so much on the game but the ridiculous interactions of all the crazy weapons and mods introduced past Apocalypse Weekend. Gently lilting sounds and ambience as cats and scissors go flying by, watching cars explode in slow motion, sniper rifles that let off nuclear explosions with each shot... Does that sound like something worth watching?

A Postal 2 Mods LP would be interesting, I think. There are some interesting ones out there.

Also, new Reelism? poo poo yeah.

And Samsara sounds interesting. I'm certainly going to check it out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Kins posted:

So this weird coding prodigy (he added SBARINFO to Zdoom when he was 14! FOURTEEN!) on the Zdoom dev team has just released the first public build of ECWolf, a Wolfenstein 3D source port that attempts to port over a ton of ZDoom features, because having to basically make your own source port for each mod is kind of bullshit. Also, why the gently caress not.

There's also a "tech demo" mod that shows off what's done so far, which is kind of neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAPnY4bKrGY

Maybe I'll do something with this at some point?

I've always had problems with previous Wolf3D source ports, but this one runs and looks awesome. Source Port of choice for Wolf3D now. This man is amazing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Besides City of the Damned, are there any Blood-like games or mods around? I'd love to get more of that feel. My one problem is if it's a Duke mod, it needs to be compatible with an older version of eDuke, because I have an AMD card. It's a little embarrassing, but it does beautiful things to newer games.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oenis posted:

Does anyone remember Powerslave/Exhumed? First person shooter in the Build engine set in mythological Egypt. I remember watching my step dad play it some 13 years ago, and decided to try and get it working in Dosbox and fire it up. Boy is that game hard. I hopelessly died in the first mission, and then again in the training. I'm spoiled by the amazing sourceports of zdoom and eduke and the like, with my version of Exhumed you neither have mouselook and strafing is extremely slow for some reason. I looked around on google but couldn't find any sourceports for it either.

Any goons have some experience with this game or know how to make it playable?

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the insanely slow strafing. I like the look and feel, but the strafing... it's one of the reasons I started Epic2. Which is bullshit hard for completely different reasons.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I wouldn't hate Archvilles so much if they had less health or didn't do so much loving damage. Jesus I loving hate those bastards. I don't mind the resurrection so much as the fact that they have an attack that will kill you loving dead super fast.
My hate for them is only surpassed by my hate for Revenants. gently caress Revenants.
So of course guess which two enemies are everywhere in Scythe2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I have way more trouble dealing with Revenants than Archviles. Archviles attacks are probably the most consistently telegraphed in the entire game. Once you start hearing the crackling sound, just look where the enemy is, and put something solid between you and it. Yeah, it's very powerful but it's very easy to dodge. Revenants and their alternating between rockets and missiles always messes me up. In wider areas, I often dodge the missiles only for them to circle round and hit me on a second or third pass, too.

Don't forget that Revenants will also shoot you in the face even when you're right up next to them hoping they'll try to punch instead. They are astoundingly unpredictable, I find. And they take so much damage! I think that's the connecting thread between the two, for as much damage as they do, and not being boss monsters, they take too much damage.

Edit: vvv You're making GBS threads me. That's ridiculously low for the amount of effort I have to use.

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 30, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Oh goodness is this your first time playing through? I'm so jealous :)

Quick question, as somebody who is currently playing through Doom 2 for the first time: is there any way to make the city levels less painful? Playing Doom earlier this year wasn't so bad, but these city levels... they're not difficult (I started playing them to take a break from the ball-breaking difficulty of Scythe2), they're just bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I also remember Shadow Warrior being really goddamn hard.

Really, all the Build Engine games are pretty drat hard. Hell, I think that Duke3D is the easiest, barring some lovely levels.

Redneck Rampage is, I think, the most difficult. I had to lower the health of some enemies because they were too much of a bulletsponge. Although the first half of Redneck Rampage is pretty bad in general.