Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Vakal posted:

One of my favorite mods for UT99 was called Zombie Mod or something like that.

Basically it gave each player a certain amount of lives and then an ever increasing amount of low polygon zombies would start spawning in. The person who was the last to run out of lives was the winner.

What was so fun is that as the match went on, there would be literally hundreds of these weird looking zombies in every room, which made blowing them up with the flak cannon ever so satisfying.

But then the makers updated the mod and added in custom models for the zombies, along with zombie brutes and other creatures. I never liked the changes and lost interest in it quickly. Sadly, I could never find the original version for downloaded after that.

Sounds like Corpse Mania to me, one of my fave mods for it too! Me and my buds would find big industrial maps, go flak arena or use the agentX mod for 'realistic' weapons and then just act like we were some swat team sent in to clean up some zombie explosion or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

emoticon posted:

That would be like asking 20 year olds whether Galaxian or Space Invaders had better graphics. It all looks the same probably, although Quake 1 stands out because of its dark, contrasty color palette.

Yeah, I mean on that TF intro video that got linked earlier in the thread, The comments that weren't people thinking it was a New Team Fortress or going "there's a team fortress before 2?" were people saying it looked like Minecraft :bang:

And Galaxian's graphics are technically better. But the aliens all look like crappy butterflies. Space Invaders is cooler looking.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Man, 256 color Dithering makes me so nostalgic. :allears:

Thanks for sharing that stuff, makes me wanna go looking through my old CD boxes for old game demo disks.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Man I love Reelism, for years I've wanted a 3D version of Smash TV, this is pretty close. If only I could survive more than 30 seconds. Could I suggest some Rise of the Triad Weapons for future releases? at the very least the drunk missile launcher would be a welcome addition.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

The Kins posted:

A "ROTT in Hell" weapon rule would be neat. I'll give it a bit of thought, and see if the maker of the ROTT TC is cool with me rifling through his stuff.

I've got some other ideas/suggestions too, if you don't mind 'em

The Kins posted:

And to celebrate the new year, the Russian Overkill guy did a fireworks display! Isn't that nice of him?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BIvBbeLo8A

I Love the vibe of this mod, it's like there was a cold war over demon murdering and Russia Crippled their economy and their workforce to make this happen.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
What's the difference between Endurance and Infinite?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

The Kins posted:

Slimers are hardcoded into the engine because Todd Replogue hates nice things. They aren't in the con files.

--

This is my new favorite post.

so I take it there won't be a Protozoid! Protozoid! (textbook case for Sigmund Freud) rule for Reelism then? :v:

Also, you've neglected Reelism on your list of mods at the start of the thread.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Oh god Reelism update and it's got co-op!! :dance:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Some assault maps would be fun too, though I don't know any good ones, I've only played the ones that came with Skulltag.

edit: Also, Return of the Triad, the full conversion for GZ/Zdoom of Rise of the Triad has 11 co-op maps now along with the deathmatch, maybe someone could host that sometime too! http://www.elzee.co.nz/return-of-the-triad-tc/

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 5, 2012

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Another good mod to try might be Ghouls World.

Basically it's Ghouls Forrest, only with more different ghouls, several maps, co-op skulltag in mind. oh yeah, and without the seizure enducing screamer style assaults on your senses. If anyone here's watched Spike and Barley, they should know what sort of thing to expect.

Ghouls world!

edit: seems to have vanished off the face of the internet, I'll have to find somewhere to upload mine. It's 20mb and my upload speed is slooowww, so I'll put up a link a little later.

editedit: Crabadonk! http://www.mediafire.com/file/bcooq2rvrz8lxcr/ghouls_world_b9.wad

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 5, 2012

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

abagofcheetos posted:

:negative:

No clue what could be wrong... maybe the Doom WAD itself? It is Ultimate Doom though, and has always worked for other mods...

I had the same problem, until I went and downloaded a newer version of Id did.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16721

I saw a game on the server list called Who Dun It. So I decided to look it up, Looks like Trouble in Terrorist Town, or The Ship. done in doom. crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkulihwrQb4

edit: Also that Return of the Triad conversion is for Zdoom, I dunno how well it'll work in skulltag, but if someone could put up a Zdoom server (if that's possible) that'd be sweet. Right now I'ma test that ROTT mod in skulltag.

edit edit: Noep.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 6, 2012

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Last I heard he was making crappy games for phones. This was before we got to the whole iPhone Android generation of phones where apps and games are biiig business..

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Pooping out sentries everywhere was fun. Having to save my shotgun shells for it and desperately search out more in the maps wasn't quite as much.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Once you set up all the directories for Doomseeker it's pretty useful, just double click on any game and it automatically searches a list of sites to download any IWads you don't have, and then loads it all up and connects for you. Regardless of base game and engine port.

I've not used IDE though..

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Chex Quessssst! :woop:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Good! I was starting to wonder about that, I love Reelism. :allears:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I've been wanting a 3d smash tv for years.. I wanna make a map for killing floor themed around it.. except I don't know how to make maps for that.

Doom Smash TV! Reelism feels pretty close to me.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Can't WAIT. :holy:

I noticed dog mode there, was that the quake lightning gun that set the player on fire when he fell in the water??

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
First round, I get ROTT's dogmode and nothin' but Wolfenstein guard dog enemies. :smugdog:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
:siren:How to Play REELISM in Multiplayer:siren:
I'm going to assume you know how to do things like port forward and get your ip, since there's plenty of places to get that info online.

the first thing you're going to want is Quickly Launchering zDoom. https://github.com/downloads/SavageMessiah/QLZ/Launcher.exe get it.

Load up QLZ, and set up the directories for your zDoom, and for your IWAD. The IWAD in this case is Doom2.wad, it'll look something like this.

Next, click the "Add File" button under that big white space. then make sure to pick "all files(*.*)" as the file type. like so.

select Reelism's pk7 file.

From here you could just hit launch and play single player. but if you wanna join a game, put the mode to "client" and get the IP of the server you want to join. and press launch.

If you're hosting. it's a little more complicated. Select "Server" from mode. and put the number of players into the players box. Don't forget to count yourself.

The next bit is the really important bit, you'll need to specify a map. E1M1 won't cut it, neither will MAP01. which is annoying. you'll have to type them in.
    DISCORD = Continuum of Discord
    GUTROT = Gutrot Island
    VR = The Internet Machine
    X2 = Municipal Transpo
    X3 = Creature of Chaos

like so

wait for the clients to join and voi la.

erm...I don't seem to actually be able to pick up weapons or die though, so I dunno if it's a bug, or me doing this wrong, though..

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I dunno it seems like the internet's the perfect place for shareware. It relies on being distributed among people, and how easy is it to distribute stuff nowadays thanks to the internet.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I'd say reelism, but gzdoom needs to get itself a drop-in-drop-out dedicated server type thing first.

How about Half-life Zdoom? http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-zdoom It's half life in doom! :D

edit: wait that's zdoom too. How about that wolfenstein map set again?

edit edit: and also Half life zdoom is quite bad.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 11, 2012

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I think you're going to have to fix it again, I just played a game and I got the Jerk... it gave me 20 jerks, they were chasing me and I got scared and then I died. :(

also: You can rig it now??

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy...

Finally I'll be able to see what the other jackpots are aside from Original the Character (do not steal).

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Hey, Kazvall, I think I know what mod to play on your server next. :laugh:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
If it is Rise of the Triad, I hope they remember what the game's about. Rockets. maybe a gun, but lots and lots of different rockets. and turning into a dog sometimes.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
OhboyohboyohboyohboyohboyASDFAragsddbh

I'm so excited goddammit take my money already DX

It better be the stupidest, pile of in jokesiest, bosses made from silver paint and cardboardiest, 100 different types of rocketiest, goriest, shoot porridge to make it heal moreiest thing ever.

with remakes of all the original share ware levels, the share ware episode was the best.

And while the original didn't have co-op, I hope it has co-op, like literally just the single player game with other dudes plopped in there with different coloured pants. Just everyone running around in a swarm of drunken rockets gibbing each other and laughing maniacally. Oh and all the awesome game modes the original had

And somewhere, there will be the dopefish.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 2, 2012

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
what about players 3-16?

Actually I think that would be a bit much, explosions everywhere.

This is probably the only remake that I wouldn't be annoyed by seeing you only able to carry 2 or 3 weapons. I think I could accept the presence of zombies too..But the only chest high cover I want to see is being used by enemies, and you can blow it to smithereens with one of your rocket launchers. Preferably the one with a boxing glove on the end.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
If ROTT taught me anything, it's that every person is made from 5+ eyeballs, several buckets of purple blobs, 20+ rib cages and at least 3 hands flipping you off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mc_ERIqyMo

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
The ROTT.net site mentions steam integration, I wonder if there'll be any promotional tf2 items for prepurchasing. The soldier could get an smg, heck, I would be over the moon if a few weapons just got reskins.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Shame about the co-op, but considering the engine it's on, it coming with an editor, and it already having multiplayer modes, I'm sure fans could cook up a co-op mode soon enough if they don't.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Ugh, gently caress the High Res Duke models. I got stuck on that friggin super market level for over an hour because a switch you have to shoot through a door doesn't show up when you use the models. I'd never played it before so I spent that long try to find what I was supposed to do to continue.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Stark posted:

Singleplayer ROTT is terrible. Multiplayer ROTT is awesome. Is there any easy way find/play multiplayer games on the internet?

Not really, other than hosting your own using GLROTT/WinRott and having friends join. Perhaps the group could arrange something.

Hopefully when The Skulltag offshoot gets enough of ZDoom's features we'll be able to play the TC for doom with a server browser.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a full list of differences here. (As well as info on which source ports can be used.)

Some things I can kind of understand, disabling multiplayer is a really poor decision, but it would explain why they didn't catch the desynch bug with the wolfenstein soldiers replaced with zombies. And locking sounds at 11025, while I don't see why they'd need to do that, causing a few sounds to play slower due to their higher rate is obvious in hindsight (I'd assume they were all the same rate afterall) But disabling command lines, removing cheat codes and not having the confirmation for nightmare mode, as well as removing multiplayer.. were they trying to make this the shittiest version of Doom they could?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
:suspense:

Wow, did I see a holy brick?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Might as well post the trailer again cos it still looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-RD6_GXZ8

Check out Interceptor Entertainment's videos, there's lots of behind the scenes vids, there's even a few that are time lapses of levels being made. That out to put any worries to rest.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I can't wait for the day Zandronum is at the same level as GZDoom and I'll be able to have a dedicated Reelism Server. :allears:

That could happen, right?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Grandmaster.flv posted:

so for whatever reason gzdoom runs like poo poo on my laptop. Something something intel drivers but I'm also using a 1080p tv as a monitor at the moment so with Zandronum all the text is microscopic unless I use the classic hud. Is there any way to increase text size with zandronum and/or not get complete poo poo performance with gzdoom? I want to try out reelism but it lags my computer something fierce.

Have you tried using ZDoom instead of GZDoom? They're essentially the same only ZDoom doesn't use GL, which might be the problem on a laptop, maybe.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I just stumbled onto some sweet old school videogaming channels on youtube, one of which has this awesome little video about the history of the build engine. Man seeing that Ken's Labyrinth gameplay got me all nostalgic. Also incredibly jealous that I couldn't produce something like that when I was 17, still can't for that matter. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8tDBg4pfYk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
How about Ghoul's forest? :black101: