Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So aside from Wrack, Tower of Guns, Ziggurat, Fancy Skulls and Heavy Bullets (and from the look of it the upcoming Bunker Runners), are there any other recent FPSes that are reasonably close to being Doom-/Quake-likes? It seems like we're getting a bit of a modern resurgence, but I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the whole roguelite FPS formula in general. On top of that ToG and Ziggurat have really bad gunfeel and Heavy Bullet's entire gimmick is there's only one gun, so out of those the ones I liked the most are Fancy Skulls (still Early Access and uglier than Doom) and Wrack (despite the fact that's it's nowhere near as good as Doom/Doom 2 :().

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, the only thing that's really struck me as coming even close is Rise of the Triad [2013], and even then it's not quite there.

Yeah. I absolutely hate RoTT and so hated RoTT 2013, but I agree it definitely feels very faithful to the source. I'm basically looking for single-player FPSes that emulate Doom's speed of play, but none of what I've played manages. :(

Kazvall posted:

I'm not saying Halo 1 is bad by any means.. But better than Doom? gently caress that!

To be fair, there are very few FPSes that have come out since Doom that are better than Doom, so it's not like the bar is set low. :v: Fingers crossed that Doom 4 will end up a return to form for the series, since it's supposedly meant to be closer to Doom 1/2.

Also, maybe now that Microsoft are making noises about supporting PC games again and Windows 10 will let you natively stream games from Xbone, we'll get a port of the Master Chief Collection or even just the Anniversary edition of Halo 1 (or hey, I'd settle for GOG releasing the original ports of 1/2, I guess). :unsmith:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 29, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thyrork posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204450/

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Is this the good one the thread was talking about awhile back?

Buy the pack with Blood Dragon if you don't own both.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hexen has some really fun weapons and I love the three classes having their own different arsenal, but I hate the level design so much. Has anyone made a WAD that just lets you play with the Hexen classes/weapons in Doom 1/2 levels? That would be great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

I'm taking a stab here and guessing this means that their fancy commercial Android port will be coming to iOS? I hope so, the original iOS port was abysmal.

Yeah, that's an iOS virtual keyboard.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I take it I don't need to tell you all what this is.

I saw this post a while ago and thought "oh, I don't recognise this." Half an hour later, the Facility theme popped up in my head and I wondered why.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This lead me to wiki John Romero briefly, and then to Carmack, and then to this:

quote:

when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of kids steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. John was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home.

I should read Masters of Doom, I guess. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Black Mesa Source was high enough quality that I'm happy kicking them $20 or whatever just to keep them working, but I don't know what would even be the point of having MP on it - HL2DM and DMC still have players kicking around if you really want to play those. I hope they do plan on releasing Xen for the free version, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't have Xen in the free version. The paid version feels like it's more about supporting the devs and getting some neat extras from it instead of forcing people to pay in order to get Xen.

Going off the post that was linked:

quote:

The free version is basically the mod release, ported to a new engine, with some bug fixes. That's mostly it.

No mention of Xen there, and that dev lists "constant updates, new features, active development" as features of the paid version. That said, that post is from six months ago, so we basically don't know anything about their plans right now. :shrug:

Also, honestly, not getting Xen would probably be something you can advertise as a feature of whichever version doesn't have it. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Still no Xen yet.

Ha. :v:

Geight posted:

I still don't get why Xen is so hated. It's really cool. :saddowns:

First-person precision platforming with very confusing level design that amplifies the inherent disadvantages of platforming in first person, and wacky physics that aren't like what you're used to from the last eight hours, and a stupid trick jumping gimmick you don't really get a chance to get used to.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Geight posted:

I guess my disconnect is I never understood why first-person platforming is supposed to be hard. People have even started making games based around it these days!

Because it makes you do precision jumping/movement without giving you the situational awareness you get from a third person view. It's a non-issue if you design your levels with it in mind, which wasn't really the case with Xen. There's also a huge difference between something like Mirror's Edge (where the "platforming" is very forgiving) and stuff like Xen's jumping puzzles.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boy howdy, it sure would be great if these mods that are based off of cross-platform games were, themselves, cross-platform (Goldeneye: Source! :argh:)

Speaking as someone who has been involved in porting a Source mod to Linux, the amount of work required is huge and a huge pain. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boy howdy, it sure would be great if these mods that are based off of cross-platform games were, themselves, cross-platform (Goldeneye: Source! :argh:)

Speaking of GE:Source, I'm still incredibly sad they got the movement speed/feel totally wrong. I'd kill for a good HD rerelease of both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark on PC, but they're in the same hellhole as Halo (i.e. MS-owned). :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I would like to point out that Perfect Dark for XBLA is a fantastic port.

...that we never got on PC. :(

The new weapon pickup animations in Black Mesa are lovely, incidentally. The hornet gun one is hilarious.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nokiaman posted:

Just a heads up in case anyone cares that Strife Veteran Edition (and other games obviously) is in this bundle and is so far the cheapest it was since the release on Steam/Humble.
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/killer-bundle-3/

drat, thanks for the heads-up. I've actually wanted Strife and Super Motherload for a while so this is an even better deal.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SavageMessiah posted:

What's preventing modders from just compiling their poo poo for other platforms?

Any custom shaders you've written are going to break and require rewriting, along with a bunch of other stuff breaking for no reason.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, I know, Goldeneye: Source exists. It'd be great if Perfect Dark: Source existed, too.

GE:S does a terrible job of reproducing the feel of GoldenEye because it gets the movement speed all wrong. PD:S died off but was slightly better at that.

It would be nice to just get a port of the XBLA rerelease for the SP, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why in the actual gently caress is The Darkness not on there and its absolutely mediocre sequel is? The first game on 360 is a masterpiece.

Don't get me wrong, lists are subjective of course but that stands out. The Darkness is a cut-and-dry example of amazing first game and hilariously crap sequel.

The Darkness never came out on PC. The sequel is actually good, though.

Rage being on that list at all takes the cake for most baffling entry.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wild T posted:

They picked Bioshock 2 for the list over every other installment of the -Shock franchise? Jesus wept.

That's because Bioshock 2 is the only good Bioshock game.

Alain Post posted:

The problem with listing SS2 as a great FPS is that the FPS elements are loving bad

Yeah. This also seems to be why Deus Ex isn't on the list, despite easily being one of the best-ever-made first person games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Bioshock 2 had just as many open spaces and corridors as its predecessor (i.e. not many and too many), but the gameplay was much more refined and challenging and interesting.

It has just as many radios with dumb backstory too (too many) but a more straightforward plot that isn't 100% dumb buuuuuullshit like the first game, and unlike Bioshock 1 it doesn't completely fall off the goddamn rails two thirds in.

All this, and it also has significantly better characters and makes much better use of Rapture-as-a-city as a setting than Bioshock 1.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Someone make a better list than RPS', but without the non-FPS stuff like Dishonored and without including games just because you ran out of ideas for really good ones. Don't bother ranking them, I just genuinely don't think I can think of 50 PC FPSes that are truly great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain_Red posted:

Well, what exactly is the difference between a FPS with RPG elements and an RPG with FPS elements? I assume most people would be fine with saying that Borderlands is a FPS, but would Dead Island be a FPS? On paper they are mechanically quit similar. What about Shadow Warrior 2014? That pretty firmly a FPS even though you use a sword %90 of the time. Does that mean Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is a FPS to? Sure the player mostly uses melee weapons, but it's possible to 'shoot' Cross bows and Long Bows.

I mean, I know this is an old discussion but it's kind of neat to hear where people draw the line nowadays.

Dead Island is first person Diablo and you spend 99% of the game hitting things with lead pipes rather than shooting them with guns. Borderlands is first person Diablo, but you spend 90% of the game shooting people with guns. Shadow Warrior 2013 nominally has guns you're supposed to use, even though they're utter garbage, whereas Chivalry is primarily a first-person melee combat game.

I don't think it's very hard to tell the two apart, and the point is to have games that make the list because the shooting in them is really good, not because they happen to have guns and a first-person view (see also: Dishonored, which is a great game but not an FPS).

e; I mean, here, if you really feel like this is needed: for the purposes of this list an FPS is a first-person game where you spend the majority of combat shooting people with ranged weapons. A good FPS is one where the shooting is good (whether it's because the level-, enemy- or weapon design is good).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 15, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Night Dive/Turok sounds like it's officially happening, though.

loving hell yes. I hope we also get Turok 2 because the CEREBRAL BORE remains the best ever FPS weapon (including the bit just after you get it where some raptors attack you and you find out it doesn't work on them).

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i would kind of like a game set on earth during a hell-based apocalypse.

That's just Doom 2 though?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MONKET posted:

Jesus, you weren't kidding. Poor Doomguy's lost his goddamn mind.

quote:

"You were there, on Phobos. I saw you running away. I found you now."

:stare:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nokiaman posted:

The NewDark engine. Check PCGW pages of the ones you want.

As an addendum, if you've bought T1/2 or sshock2 from GOG, they have NewDark baked in, so you don't need to do anything (you should be buying all your old games from GOG whenever possible, seriously).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Overbite posted:

I tried but couldn't get into the Shadow Warrior reboot.

Yeah, same here, although I thought the sword stuff was okay (the lack of a block button was weird, though). What made SW2013 bad was how loving terrible the guns are outside of the crossbow, even when fully upgraded; I've never played an FPS with worse gunfeel or more ineffective guns.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of Demonsteele, I feel stupid but I can't seem to get it to work properly using GZDoom and Doom 2 - I can load in fine, but I have the basic Doom UI with 999 health instead of the Demonsteele one and some pickups seem to be missing from the world. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a separate HUD pk3 I missed?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Are you using the alternate HUD in ZDoom settings? Turn it off, it's poo poo and intentionally unmoddable.

Yep, that was exactly it. Thanks.

e; vvv

Convex posted:

I prefer the alternative HUD as it shows the ammo count for all weapons. If there's a way to do that with the standard HUD (without relying on external pk3s or whatever) then I'd happily switch over.

Yeah, that's the reason I use it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 3, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
PSA: Demonsteele and RSI do not mix.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Not yet. Now that Zandronum 2.0's released, though, I have support for named states for A_Refire; so I'll be able to include an "Automatic" class option for DemonSteele that does auto-fire for weapons.
I have no clue how special moves will work with auto-fire on, but I can figure that out later. Accommodating players with medical issues is kind of more important.

Very sorry for the trouble. :shobon:

You could try having a modifier key that you press in combination with either button. The launcher key would probably work for this since I don't really find myself pressing attack at the same time. That would make it so special attacks require holding launcher and pressing LMB+direction/RMB, which is a bit of a kludgey fix, but would probably be playable.

The other thing you might want to do if you add autofire is give the A-22 a cap on its maximum RoF, otherwise it might end up eclipsing the Sabbath. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Crossposting myself from the GOG thread: System Shock 2 is 99p on GOG if anyone somehow hasn't bought it: http://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_2

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is it me, or does Hae-Lin scream "I don't know how to aim this thing" when doing a kameha? :allears:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hey Term, is there any particular reason why the Testament takes two shells per shot instead of just halving the ammo capacity/pickup values and having it shoot a single ammo unit? :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Double-barreled shotguns need to shoot two shells. It's a law. :colbert:

It's a silly law that makes it harder to track how many shots I have left and means I constantly go "OH 80 SHOTS THAT'S PLENTY" then "HEY WHY AM I OUT OF SHOTGUN AMMO :downs:" 40 shots later, though. :v:

Anyway that and the RSI aside Demonsteele is great and I nominate it best FPS of 2015 despite the last major release being from last year.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

Do you have the same problem with the vanilla SSG

Yeah, I do, although less so since the regular shotgun is also in-game.

bbcisdabomb posted:

What's the point of having two barrels if you don't use them?!

I'm not saying make it single-fire, I'm saying make it so one ammo unit = both barrels.

e; vv yeah, it's a tiny nitpick, I just find myself losing count sometimes. :downs:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 5, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Hey, Goons who have some spare time, eyeball this and give me your thoughts.

Demonsteele manual

Comments are enabled if you want to highlight anything that needs correcting. I mostly want to know if it helps!

Did a first pass on spelling/grammar and a couple of comments suggesting phrasing changes. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Thanks! But your recommendation of deleting all the extra u's is disheartening. :smith:

You kept alternating between armour and armor, so I just picked one and stuck with it.

Thyrork posted:

E: Just to be clear, over-life tokens respect your chosen difficulty, so ramen doesn't always give 3!

Fair enough.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 7, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Crossposting from the Steam thread, but the official website for the Shadow Warrior reboot got replaced with this image:

What could this possibly mean?

Maybe this time the guns won't be unusable garbage. :smith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dominic White posted:

The big secret to Shadow Warriors's guns: Upgrade and use the shield spell. You can still shoot while it's up, and it ends up far safer than using the sword. There were several enemy types that I didn't even try fighting in melee, just shield + shotgun.

That won't change the fact that the guns all did pidly damage and had terrible gunfeel, though, even fully upgraded. I ended up using the sword for 90% of the game because the guns were so terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

So, Terminus was streaming a really old version of this tonight... apparently is from Korea? All I know is it's really weird and does things the engine really, REALLY wasn't made to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjTPovGClw

That... actually looks pretty cool/good?