Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Well I just bought that id Super Pack from the Steam Sale and now I'm really getting bit by the classic FPS bug. Playing Ultimate Doom is a real trip. I'm shocked at both how well the game holds up and at how much specific detail I remember from the shareware episode way back when. Everything past episode 1 will be brand new to me so I'm really looking forward to that. :)

I blasted through this thread today and didn't see much talk about Wolfenstein 3D. What's the best way to play that with modern controls? I tried out "NewWolf" and I like the fact that you can move with WASD, but I'd prefer if I could disable some of the graphical enhancement and keep the game fully integrated with Steam. I managed to get GZDoom working with the full Steam treatment so I'm hoping there's a Wolfenstein engine out there that lets me do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ryuga Death posted:

Dumb question, I know, but how did you get the HUD to be like that? I turned on the alternate hud option in Brutal Doom but it's still the same default hud.
Assuming it works like a standard zDoom mod, go to your view options and make the screen larger (I think you can just press "+" with default controls). If you go one past the usual "full screen" look, it takes off the regular hud and gives you that one.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mak0rz posted:

Use GZdoom and enable the OpenGL render. It renders levels in 3D and fixes that perspective problem. Or you can really go classic like I do and disable the Y-axis altogether :v:
'sup, disabled Y-axis bro.:hfive: In my recent playthough I'm going for a mix of streamlined enhancement and authenticity. Widescreen, dynamic lighting, enhanced HUD, but with "raw" graphics and no Y-axis. Loving it so far!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Roobanguy posted:

Thy flesh consumed doesn't pull any punches does it? Cyberdemon by the second level on Hurt me plenty. I just decided to hoof it to the exit then even try to kill it in the space I had.
Cyberdemon? I just played through Thy Flesh Consumed for the first time. Did I miss a huge part of level 2 or is this some mod you're referring to?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Roobanguy posted:

I'm using brutal doom, but I don't think that changes any enemy spawns. The cyberdemon was also right at the end, after opening the blue key pillar.
actually never mind, I'm just a doofus and mixed up "The Shores Of Hell" with "Thy Flesh Consumed"

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Steam apparently tweaked something today so that your Doom playtime can actually be tracked. It also forces a direct DOS Box launch now. :downs:

So I'll just be launching GZDoom manually for the rest of my Doom 1 playthrough, but I'll miss the neat little Steam front end for everything. Oh well.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

justbread posted:

You can just straight up replace the dosbox executable (ie. rename gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe). Playtime tracking and overlay still work.
Oh wow, that is maddeningly simple and it works like a charm. Thanks!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Johnny Law posted:

Interesting, are you seeing that for Doom 2, or just Doom? In the case of Doom 2, for me Steam is still launching it through a batch file and not tracking playtime.
Hmm, actually Doom 2 still seems to launch from the batch file for me too. Odd!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

justbread posted:

You can just straight up replace the dosbox executable (ie. rename gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe). Playtime tracking and overlay still work.
I just wanna add to this and say that you can still use command line stuff from the batch files now. You just enter the parameter into "Launch Options" in the Steam properties. So after renaming gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe, I entered "-file base\D2011MUS.wad" into the launch options. Now Steam can launch Ultimate Doom with GZdoom and new music, and track the playtime!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yesterday I started They Flesh Consumed for the first time, and holy crap I can finally understand all the :suicide: reactions that the mere mention of E4M2 seems to induce. But beating that level on Ultra-Violence is definitely the most badass I've felt playing a game in a while. I guess I'll spoiler my discussion of it:

It seems like a level that forces you to make a lot of correct decisions, rather than just "shooting things well." For example, it really opened things up when I tricked the enemies into fighting each other right from the start, instead of just instinctively gunning down those first two shotgun guys from behind. Once you've got an imp/shotgunner/cacodemon crossfire going, it's not too hard to pick off the smarter cacodemons before they get too close. After that I made a point skipping the first switch, jumping both gaps and shooting the barons of hell through the window. Then when I hit the switch and hopped into the side room, I just got the hell out as soon as I grabbed the plasma rifle. Since I had already cleared out the teleporter room (through the window before) I was able to get back in the main room, take out the fresh barons from there, and get the yellow key once the dust had settled.

Everything was pretty straightforward from then on. Although I have no idea how I'd approach this one from a clean pistol start. :psyduck:

Also it didn't occur to me until afterwards that I could just telefrag the cyberdemon. :v:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've never played Heretic or Hexen but I have them from that Super id Pack. So is the general feeling that Heretic holds up while Hexen is pretty rubbish?

And Hexen is the sequel to Heretic, right? I've always assumed this, but then the "Hexen II" title confused me.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Essobie posted:

What I remember from the Descent days is that 95% of folks used an MS Sidewinder which was one of the first flight sticks with a twist axis, 4.999% used a mouse with hacked mouse drivers just for playing Descent that jacked the sensetivity through the roof just so you could turn as fast as joystick users, and then me who used a Thrustmaster TopGun and had to resort to having a toggle button to switch from yawing to rolling.
Hmm, you mention the Sidewinder. Is there a recommended flightstick out there with a USB interface that plays nice with modern Windows 7 systems? I never did finish Descent II and I've been wanting to get back into it. The itch is strong now that I've gone back and played all the way through Doom 1 for the first time.

On a completely different note - I beat "Thy Flesh Consumed" late last night. This morning I had a dream in which I got a pet bunny. I didn't make the connection until just now. :3:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Essobie posted:

Logitech 3D Extreme Pro is the closest thing to a Sidewinder you will find... so long as you are right handed (it is ergo-right-handed, where the Sidewinder was symmetrical). It's super inexpensive and a great stick.
Thanks for the tip, just Wish Listed that baby on Amazon. In the near future I look forward to re-living my Descent/X-wing adventures of the mid-nineties!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Tippis posted:

…actually, that's a pretty darn brilliant idea. :O
I'm going to try that immediately.

Then again, it feels like you'll miss a button or two — not in the sense that there aren't enough buttons, but that you won't have enough fingers to reach them all.

L/R stick for strafing and turning; shoulder buttons/triggers for movement forwards/backwards and rolling… but that only leaves the pinky and ring fingers to fire weapons, and there aren't any buttons for those :(
You just reminded me of some old gamepad I have lying around that has extra "shoulder" buttons on the handles of the pad, perfect for hitting with the middle/ring fingers. I should dig that up and see how practical it ends up feeling.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Gonna give Brutal Doom a shot now that I'm ready for a Doom II playthrough. For original (Ultimate) Doom I had GZDoom being launched through Steam; is there a way to do this with Brutal Doom or do I have to do that icon dragging thing? It's not essential but I like Steam tracking my time and stuff.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't remember the details, but gzdoom has a config file where you can specify WADs to autoload (on both a global and per-iWAD basis). I have mine set up to automatically load Brutal Doom whenever Doom or Doom 2 is loaded.
Is there a WAD I'm supposed to be using for Brutal Doom? I downloaded it and all I see is a .PK3 file.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

tooooooo bad posted:

Just load the pk3 like you would any wad.
Sorry I'm a bit new at this. The only wad I have experience loading is the one for 2001 music, which I loaded by putting "-file base\D2001MUS.wad" in the Steam launch options. I tried the same thing with this file, putting "-file base\BrutalGZDoom_ V012.pk3" in the launch options, but I just get my normal GZDoom menu where you select which game to play, and when I select Doom 2 it's just loading in normal non-brutal mode.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Have you tried dragging / dropping the Brutal Doom .pk3 over the GZDoom executable?
Yeah drag n' drop works fine so I know my files are good. Just trying to get this going in Steam.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Brutal Doom works with *most* WADs. Emphasis on "most" because I've come across several popular WADs (including Scythe and Scythe 2) where there seems to be a conflict between the WAD and Brutal Doom on maps where you are supposed to die in order to complete the level. If Brutal Doom is selected and loaded before the WAD, I usually die as I'm supposed to, but instead of progressing to the next level, I have to load my last save. If the WAD is selected and loaded before Brutal Doom, I transition levels as intended.
At the moment I'm just using the base Doom 2 wad, nothing fancy. I'm not sure if this is just not possible after Steam stopped using batch files for these games, but I was able to use the 2011 music wad for vanilla Doom 1 just fine via the Steam Launch Options.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to load Doom through Steam? I always found it a pain in the rear end for something that loads as quickly as Doom. I bought the game through Steam and ended up moving it to a different directory, since it doesn't need Steam to run in order to load correctly.
Obsessive compulsion is my only real reason. v:shobon:v I play everything else on my PC using Steam as a front end, plus having my time tracked by Raptr and stuff like that is neat.

ToxicFrog posted:

Here's how you set it up in the config file.

Go to your gzDoom directory, and open the 'zdoom-$USERNAME.ini' file.

Look for the sections [Global.Autoload] and [$GAME.Autoload], and add Path= entries for all of the WADs/PK3s you want to load, in addition to the iWAD. For example, mine looks like this:

code:
[Global.Autoload]
Path=lights.pk3
Path=brightmaps.pk3

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/BrutalGZDoomV10b.pk3
Path=Upgrades/BrutalDoomRegeneration.pk3
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3

[Doom1.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/D2011MUS.wad

[Doom2.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DoomMetal.wad
Path=Upgrades/DoomMetal2.wad
So - when running any game, it'll load lights.pk3 and brightmaps.pk3 after the iWAD; when running any Doom game, it'll load Brutal Doom, BD Regeneration, and the high-res textures as well; and when running Doom 1 specifically, it'll load the 2011 soundtrack.

This works whether you're launching it through steam, through zdlsharp, or directly with drag and drop.
Thanks, that did exactly what i needed it to!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ToxicFrog posted:

code:
[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3
Dumb question, do I need to activate regeneration somewhere in the options after I've loaded the mod? I'm trying it out with Brutal Doom in D2, but I don't seem to be regenerating back to 30 health.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Wamdoodle posted:

No option, it should just work by loading it up. Try making it the last .pk3 to load by moving it underneath DHTP.pk3, like so:

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3

I think I had to do that to make it work.
My regeneration file looks like it's a WAD rather than a PK3. Would that involve anything different?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Wamdoodle posted:

No option, it should just work by loading it up. Try making it the last .pk3 to load by moving it underneath DHTP.pk3, like so:

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3

I think I had to do that to make it work.
Oh duh it was working the whole time, I didn't realize it only charged you up to 26 rather than 30. Thanks anyway!!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dominic White posted:

There's a reason why I didn't pick Ultra-violence for my video. Like a lot of modern Doom mods, it treats the difficulty options as Easy/Normal/Hard/Very Hard/Impossible.
What's the general opinion on Doom II as far as this goes? I just started a playthrough with Brutal Doom on UV. I feel like I'm playing a little too carefully and wondering if Hurt Me Plenty is a better fit with this mod. For reference, I'm just coming off an unmodded UV playthrough of Doom 1 Eps 1-4.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dominic White posted:

If you're playing any sort of Vanilla level set, you should just unbind jump. A lot of modern-but-classic-style levels actually force a lock on jumping.
Is there a general stance on up/down mouselook in vanilla levels? What I'm doing in Doom 2 is enabling mouselook, but disabling that "enemies are infinitely tall" (or however they phrase it) option. I figure this makes sense given the headshot mechanic, and won't really alter the game the way jumping would.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Am I better off playing Doom 3 on PC or Xbox? I already own both, via the iD pack and a clearance sale on Xbox games long ago. I've got a Intel Core i5 2.27 GHz laptop, not sure if that's really good enough since I remember Doom 3's system requirements being notoriously steep at the time. I still have my O.G. Xbox hooked up, even have the component cables and 5.1 sound set up for it, so unless there's something terribly crippling about that version I think I'll go that route.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
In observance of Halloween I wore my Type O Negative shirt to work and played Brutal Doom II on my laptop during lunch break. :black101:

Did Pain Elementals always explode when they die?? It was fun chainsawing one of those to death and learning the hard way.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The berzerk executions are so fun to watch in Brutal Doom... but tactically speaking when is it a good idea to use the berzerk fists? It always feels like I'm putting myself at risk just to see some sweet gibs.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is updating Brutal Doom as simple as replacing the .WAD/.PK3 file targeted in the .INI file? I can just load up my save games after that and pick up where I left off?

Also thanks to everyone for expounding on proper Berzerk usage! The health-gain stuff was a real revelation.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dominic White posted:

You should be fine updating, yeah. Some stuff might behave a little weirdly until you change level/die, though.
Right now the game keeps crashing on me, when I use the save from the previous version of Brutal Doom. What's my best option here? New game and a cheat code to skip levels?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
lol wow, I just encountered the point in Brutal Doom 2 that replaces Commander Keen's head with Justin Bieber's. At least I assume it was the Brutal mod that did that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does Brutal Doom have some AI problems with the Wolfenstein levels in Doom 2? I noticed an excessive amount of infighting among the nazi soldiers. Like, as soon as I opened a door they'd all be shooting each other already, to the point that they almost ignored me completely. It made those two levels especially easy on Ultra Violence.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm gonna listen to a CD while playing Brutal Doom (GZDoom) tonight. Is there some more elegant way to do this besides running media player in the background and turning the in-game music off (although that seemed to work fine when I tested it)?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Kins posted:

ZDoom did have CD audio support, but I think Randy nuked it for compatibility reasons (also nobody used it). Sorry :(
Ok thanks! I'll just Alt+Tab it then.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does the version of Doom II on Xbox Live have any sort of local multiplayer? The description on the official site is confusing. It says that the game supports "split screen co-op over Xbox Live." That implies that it's online only, but why the hell would you use split screen if that was the case?

I realize I'll be completely spoiled by Brutal Doom with a mouse + keyboard, but the idea of "couch" multiplayer with Doom entices me. Also I could play that bonus episode I suppose.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Reive posted:

I tired it on a fresh install of Skulltag with no other mods on a standard v1.9 Doom 2 iWad.

Also the help screen when you hit F1 says it's version 0.10. :confused:

Still seems to play fine, but these errors are getting on my OCD.
Come to think of it I'm running Brutal 0.14 on GZDoom and my splash screen is saying 0.12

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

victrix posted:

If you are precise in your headshots, both die fairly quickly. Forget about killing the spider demon if you shoot its legs, and chest hits on the cyberdemon take forever as well.
For some reason it never even occurred to me to try headshots on the bosses. This should come in handy, thanks!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Guillermus posted:

Its in the OP.

Where you get the following link to ZDoom forums:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920
If you do a quick google you'll get the Skulltag thread wich is also valid as both threads have the latest 'public' release.
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26904

I think this mod is pretty well known already to everyone that likes Doom and is still looking around for new stuff.
In fairness that does not actually link to the 0.15 release. The official thread still only has .14

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Could anyone point me to sound files (.wav or .mp3) of the classic Doom sound effects? I'd like to make my phone all :black101: and use them as alert tones and such.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

RyokoTK posted:

Many of them are available in the download for DoomRL.
90 tiny .WAV files!!! Exactly what I was hoping for, thanks! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Finished my Doom II playthrough (via Steam's iD Superpack) last night. What exactly are "Final Doom" and "Master Levels for Doom II"?