Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

HEY ON AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT TOPIC Return of the Triad is out! It's a fan-made sequel to ROTT as a Zdoom mod. I think that ticks all the boxes, really...

Can't believe this is finally out, for a while I thought it might never make it. Gonna load this up tonight :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

It reminds me I still haven't played through the Marathon games yet, either. I need to fix that.

I tried Marathon (the first one) a few months ago and really didn't have a lot of fun. All down to personal taste, of course, but I found the whole thing way too slow and boring. I can imagine the story and setting (the aspects that really stand above what Doom and other contemporaries were doing) were a lot more innovative and immersive back in 1994, but the gameplay just doesn't seem to have aged particularly well.

Also, trying to play around with settings and plugins in Aleph One is a complete headache and I probably spent more time setting everything up than I did playing it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Minidust posted:

I blasted through this thread today and didn't see much talk about Wolfenstein 3D. What's the best way to play that with modern controls? I tried out "NewWolf" and I like the fact that you can move with WASD, but I'd prefer if I could disable some of the graphical enhancement and keep the game fully integrated with Steam. I managed to get GZDoom working with the full Steam treatment so I'm hoping there's a Wolfenstein engine out there that lets me do the same.

I used this to play it a while back and found it to be pretty much identical to the original game, except allowing for an automap and modern WSAD controls. It's a port of the game to GZDoom so you shouldn't have a problem getting it working with Steam :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yeah. Also, E1M1 is a raygun.

:psyboom:

17 years and I never noticed this!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Finally got around to getting Quake properly set up with Darkplaces, hi-res textures and a few tweaks and holy gently caress it looks incredible. Unfortunately my screenshots don't really do it justice, but here you go anyway...

http://i.imgur.com/ZpY9r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YFqBU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Dxg0f.jpg

Check out Tecman's post from the Steam thread for all the info (and some better screenshots)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pheener posted:

Is there a way to play Strife, with voice acting, in GZDoom? I've played it before through Zdoom, but I don't recall it having any voice acting, except for the intro, so was I doing something wrong?

You need to load VOICES.WAD as a PWAD (or drag it onto your zdoom/gzdoom exe), then you should get the voice acting. The first guy you come across (who gives you the crossbow) has voice acting, so you should know pretty soon if something's up!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Probably a dumb question but would there be any way of making a PWAD that automatically starts a new level with just a pistol? IDCLEV isn't a huge inconvenience but it'd be nice to get it done automatically...

e: grammar

Convex fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 28, 2011

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

Can't test it right now but https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16481 might do it.

Works great, thanks! (only tested on Doom 2 so far)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm trying to play through Shadow Warrior with SWP, but it keeps crashing at strange times and I can't figure out why. Once it's crashed once, the savegame I was using becomes unuseable and I have to go back to an earlier one in a different slot. It's really confusing me as I seem to remember it worked fine with the shareware version. Can anyone help please?

If it's any use, I'm using the UK CD version, and using the CD music. I know the UK version was censored, but the SW.GRP file seems to work fine, so not sure what the cause could be...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Golbez posted:

This thread made me want to play old games, so I scrounged up Shadow Warrior and got the updated port. It has not aged well. I don't remember it being this annoyingly hard. I also remember there being more humor, but maybe I just need to get my rear end out of the first level.

I should just buck up and throw in The Ultimate Doom. Also, I need to find a working copy of TIE Fighter.

Is it crashing for you when you die and reload? drat thing keeps crashing to the desktop and corrupting my save file every 15 mins or so.

If not, can you please link me whichever source port you're using?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Looks like id is going to release the Doom 3 source code later this year (source).

Carmack having to ask Zenimax for permission to do that is kinda :smith:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Funny that, I just gave it a proper try today with the 2011 music and it's completely loving crazy how much carnage you can cause within seconds of entering a room. I love walking back through a level after reaching the exit and seeing the whole place coated from floor to ceiling with blood, gibs and bullet holes. Can't quite figure out how to to this 'meat shield' thing I keep hearing about, though.

Also is it just me or are there more enemies than there used to be?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
So has anyone tried running Brutal Doom with nuts.wad yet? I can't even begin to imagine what that must look like at a playable framerate...

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 16, 2011

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

redmercer posted:

So... ahl_5am. Has the secret ever been finished all the way through? The answer I seem to be finding on the internet is "Yes it has but we can't prove it. Here's a youtube from some idiot Facepuncher who wound up getting banned for scamming so there's not actually any video there." And in any case would anyone be interested in trying to go through it?

There was a great RPS article on it a while back, the whole thing sounds fascinating. I miss gigantic secrets in games :(

Anyway I'll put my hat in for this, although bear in mind that a) I live in England so will only be available between 6-10pm BST and b) I currently have viral gastroenteritis and will have to stop for :barf: breaks every 30 minutes...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Durrr - I apparently forgot to post the link to my autofire-restored tweak.

Also, if you want to replace the taunt sound, it's pretty simple. Just rename the PK3 files to .ZIPs, open them up in windows explorer, and replace Sounds\Taunt.OGG in V12 with the one from V11. Not so sure about the splash-screen music.

You can actually open .pk3 files directly with 7-zip, at least on my machine! Saves a few minutes of trouble anyway. Thanks for the tweak also.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Goon-approved PC games site Rock, Paper, Shotgun did a small feature on Doom mods today. To be honest anyone who's already been through this thread won't find a lot new, but still.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Finally decided to five the Marathon trilogy another shot and... It's actually pretty fun! Only problem is that it took about 2 hours to get the whole thing working properly - god knows why the Aleph One developers didn't just put a drat fov slider in the options or something.

Anyway, now I've got the trilogy installed and compressed into a single zip file (including all the HD texture packs etc.) I was thinking of uploading it for the benefit of people without hours to spare fiddling with settings. Does anyone know whether the GPL license permits distribution in this way? I did try having a look but unfortunately I don't speak lawyer :ohdear:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Finally got around to compiling and uploading that Marathon Trilogy pack, including all the game files, the latest working build of Aleph One, a FOV fix, HD textures, an updated hud and some other small fixes. It's all set up and ready to go, so no need to spend hours getting the right plugins! Just extract and run AlephOne.exe for whatever game you want to play :v:

:siren:Get it here!:siren:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

He favors his left when punching, but otherwise holds a pistol and shotgun right-handed :confused:

I only noticed this last year as well :stare:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

One thing I loved/hated about early FPSes is that the level designs made no logical sense. Take Rise of the Triad for exampe, all the levels are basically trap-filled stone corridors. Grated, the bad guys are hanging out in a castle, but there's no excuse why there's moving walls made of lava and floating hover pads everywhere. In Doom the levels kinda make sense, but eventually they turn into mazes, but you can blame that n Hell invading and corrupting everything. I really like the levels in Duke Nukem 3D because they are the right blend between levels modeled after real places and the maze-like design of classic FPSes.

Honestly, I don't think ROTT was even meant to make any sense. The games depicts a secret sect of neo-nazis living in a giant castle filled with magic mushrooms, trampolines and comedy robots, all led by an ancient monk that's actually a giant caterpillar :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

treat posted:

This Sunday, October 23rd, starting @ 4pm EST is Quake 2 Mod Love Weekend. I know Q2 gets a lot of grief here, but if there was nothing outstanding about the game, that sentiment certainly didn't apply to the mods, so no need for rose-tinted glasses. No need for poo poo-tinted glasses, either. There will be more than enough BROWN for everybody.

Lineup so far is Action Quake 2 (http://www.fileplanet.com/74222/0/0/0/1/section/Mod_Files), GLOOM (http://www.planetgloom.com/), Rocket Arena (http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/7546) and JAILBREAK. Files for Jailbreak, QPong and Catch the Chicken here.

Source Ports - R1Q2 (http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/)
EGL Quake 2 (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimw/q2/ - Scroll down to EGL, download individual files)

Lastly, if anyone has Plat or direct contact with R1CH (R1Q2, long time GLOOM sever and website host, Lost Continents TF2 servers host, all around total dude): invite him to this event, thank him for all he's done for shut-ins with internet access, or if you're feeling extra generous help him pay his bills.

Thinking of playing for an hour or so later - it'll be 9pm BST here :) Bit confused about the source ports thing though - which mod goes with which port? Also do I need anything else to connect to a game?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That new Blood mod (due for release tomorrow!) now has a ModDB page and it's looking pretty good. Really happy there's some actual new content to play through for once!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

old demo disc from late 1996

drat this was the same disc I got the shareware from too. I remember seeing the magazine in WHSmith and staring at it for about 5 minutes as I slowly comprehended that this game was actually real and there was a playable version right in front of me. Good times!

Also, please upload this disc, I think I lost my old magazine CDs in a clearout years ago :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

hippieman posted:

Marathon

This is great, thanks!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This is a loving awesome idea for a wad, I love it! Can anyone confirm if it's playable all the way through yet? (i.e. any crazy bugs screwing things up)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What happened to the server?

e: nvm, it popped up again :)

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 10, 2011

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Brutal Doom co-op with 13 players is loving :black101: as hell

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kazvall posted:

I've been thinking about hosting DTWID with this class wad.

Today? If you can get it up within the next hour I'm in :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

victrix posted:

Brutal Doom is amazing. It's sort of a baffling mod, because I'm enjoying it purely because of the balance/difficulty changes, not because of all the silly gore and gibs stuff.

It's making some of these maps a real horror show, please don't drop me in a room with 8 sergeants at point blank range sir :gonk:

These wads are amazing, Doom is amazing :buddy:

Is Skulltag pretty straightforward to set up? I have to get some friends in for some coop action on some of these megawads, I'm playing several of them on hurt me plenty because they're already insane with brutal doom, some UV coop would be great.

Oh, and are .deh files loaded just the same as the rest of the wads in GZDoom? (select all, drag to exe?) I ask because I ran into a few maps in dtwid that I simply could not complete, despite hammering on every single wall on the map, I had to idclip past a few points, and I'm wondering if its because I forgot to load a .deh file, or it didn't load properly or something.

I don't suppose there's anything remotely similar to Brutal Doom for Heretic or Hexen?

As much as I know, .deh files are Dehacked patches to add non-vanilla features to the original exes. It's largely an appeasement to purists who like to know that this 2011 wad will work on the old Doom code that came out in 1993/4, and shouldn't be necessary if you're using anything made since then. The OP contains some good advice about source ports and how to load custom files, the long and short of which is you should use ZDL or Quickly Launchering Zdoom to save yourself a load of effort!

Regarding Skulltag, it's about as simple as you can get. Just install the software, load Doomseeker and find the server you want to play on (not forgetting to tell it where your IWADs are stored). If you're planning on hosting a server you might need to set up some port forwarding, but this shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes if you have a decent router.

Regarding Heretic/Hexen weapons mods, give Nazis a shot :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

0 rows returned posted:

videos

Thanks for this, session was awesome :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Minidust posted:

Does the version of Doom II on Xbox Live have any sort of local multiplayer? The description on the official site is confusing. It says that the game supports "split screen co-op over Xbox Live." That implies that it's online only, but why the hell would you use split screen if that was the case?

I realize I'll be completely spoiled by Brutal Doom with a mouse + keyboard, but the idea of "couch" multiplayer with Doom entices me. Also I could play that bonus episode I suppose.

Yep, local multi for up to 4 players. It's a very vanilla port, right down to being locked at 30fps, but the controls work very well. Also the extra episode is really good :)

edit: Just remembered that Doom 3: RoE for the original Xbox has all of Doom I, II and the Master Levels with 4 player multi, so if you have a hard drive you might want to pick that up instead. The only real draw is the extra episode I guess...

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 13, 2011

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Mancubus was the best thing to happen to that game :colbert:

Arch-viles are also awesome, especially if you've just cleared out a huge horde of monsters and wandered off assuming everything's going to stay nice and quiet :)

Pain Elementals, on the other hand, can gently caress right off.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Unfinished, unreleased prototype looks unfinished. Seems a little unfair to judge a project based on this alone, especially given there's no indication of how old the screens are.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Well, if we're talking modern sequels and spinoffs, DoomRL has been given an awesome new update, with GRAPHICS! Graphics by Spelunky developer Derek Yu, at that!

OK, this is awesome.

(why did this have to come out 2 weeks before my exam)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kazvall posted:

I really wish skulltag would update to gzdoom standard at SOME point in the next few years.

Didn't it go open source recently? Surely some improvements can't be far off...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

That Ignorant Sap posted:

There's also no new weapons or monsters or anything. Some new wall textures here and there.
The levels can be brutal compared to Doom 2. One of my favorites is in Plutonia. You step off the starting platform and a wall lowers, revealing a dozen Archviles held in place. You leave the room and they all teleport away. Now you're in a claustrophobic wooden maze and hear them all around you. All while the "Bunny" music is playing. Awesome.

I gave up on Plutonia after getting completely annihilated in Baron's Den. That level is loving ridiculous, first you have to deal with millions of enemies spawning all over the place, then you practically have to fight a Cyberdemon in a closet, then millions more enemies turn up again :argh:

I did finish it after about 3 hours but by then I'd completely lost the will to carry on...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

id Software is the one to blame for that. Not Steam/Valve. It's kind of stupid because they released a fairly good (albeit barebones) Windows source port for use with the Doom Collector's Edition a few years back.

Not that I really cared. I just ripped the WADs from the CDs and shelved them forever :v:

Doom95 did have a fair few issues, including mouse support problems and a weird bug where all the sound effects were at the wrong pitch. I think they were right to include the DOS versions for the purists, and everyone else can just use a source port.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

That Ignorant Sap posted:

:neckbeard: Oh my God, they even have the 2 SoD "Lost Episodes" converted!! I saw them once, couldn't get them, and never saw them again. Holy poo poo!

They're included with the Steam release, which must be the only way to get them now. I didn't realise they existed until I bought the id pack a few years back!

e: actually I can't get the SoD conversion to work, it keeps saying "3 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts". Also can't find the lost episodes...

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 5, 2012

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Sounds like they also removed the weird flashlight gimmick.

What are the chances of getting this as an upgrade to my existing copy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sergeant_Mark_IV posted:

At the 0.16 development, I have planned to replace some gib sprites to be made of real pictures of actual dead people.

I think this guy needs a holiday.