Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The links to the music patches for quake 1 and 2 don't go anywhere, the steam forums tell me the threads don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Does anyone here know if zDoom fires weapons slightly lower than other source ports?

There's a secret in MAP01 of BTSX ep2 where all my shots seem to land just a smidgen too low to hit the button, and I vaguely remember having similar problems in some other WADs.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

That sounds like
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/E4M5:_Great_Stair_(Heretic).

Regarding Hexen: Even if you decide not to play it due to the level design, I still think you need to see the Wraithverge in action at least once.
:catholic::ghost::gibs:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

- A bug that shoots lightning, and if you find another one, they'll fight to the death to see who gets to keep you
I just remember all the lightning bugs after the first doing damage instead of being a weapon pickup.
Is there some special behaviour that only occurs if you are wielding one at the time?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

So I've been replaying Blood recently (thanks to those Pro Blood videos getting me inspired).

The broadly agreed strategy for Stone Gargoyles before you have the Tesla cannon is Voodoo doll alt-fire and guns to finish it off. I used this on the one at the end of E2M7 (I'm staying on Lightly Broiled for the time being), and have been saving Tesla ammo for the rest.

Then, I ran into the one behind bars on E4M7, and decided to see how long it would take to kill him with regular Voodo doll attacks. This took a matter of seconds, and used ~50 Voodoo doll ammo.
Further experimentation indicates it takes three Voodoo dolls worth of alt-fire to kill one Stone Gargoyle. (On Lightly Broiled. Initially tested on BloodGDX, verified on DOS version).

Conclusion:
Voodoo doll alt-fire is terrible.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

If you liked the main campaign in Quake 2, I'd say they're worth a look.

Ground Zero has some completely new enemies (including bosses), but the most memorable are the turrets (you will learn to hate these).
The Reckoning mainly has "regular enemies, but with shields", including some ridiculous bullet sponges in the last part.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

So the Half-life mod chat a few pages back got me to replay some of the old mods again, including a few I'd never played before.

It's been a long time since I played USS Darkstar last time, to the point that lots of it felt almost new. Still good.

I'd never tried Todesangst or it's sequel before.
The first is short, but solid, although with an extremely anti-climactic ending. (You get captured out of nowhere, then somebody else shows up out of nowhere to save you, an then you run around while somebody else fixes everything offscreen.)
The second still has good gameplay, but they also included a lot of fully voiced cutscenes with...not great voice acting. I suppose there is a bit of charm to the whole thing. The worst offender is at the end, where you need to step into an obvious trap so the villain can monologue at you for several minutes. Then somebody else saves you, again, and you get another final sequence where you do basically nothing and suddenly win.

At around this point I remembered Life's End, a rather...weird mod I found through Planet Half-life back in the day. Gameplay is overall solid, and it contains some really cool setpieces. The main memorable moment is when you stumble into a room full of toxic fumes and start hallucinating:

(Oh, and you need to play without HD models, otherwise the dancing scientists won't work right.)
There are a few other neat moments I'd forgotten until I replayed it, in particular the Blue Shift homage/parody.
If you've never heard of this, I definetly recommend checking it out. Also:

Of course, in the end this all got me to replay Echoes, which is the best by far. The early game manages to make you feel vulnerable in a way I can't remember feeling in any other mods (admittedly less so on a replay, since you know what's coming). The bits with Gargantua chasing are still great, they really manage to evoke that feeling of "OH poo poo RUN!" The bit with the security guard speing to you over the P.A. system is a bit hard to take seriously, but that's just due to whiskey.wav, which I presume the authors are unaware of.
I discovered a few intgereseting things in the intro section I didn't notice last time:
In the big outdoors intersection, one scientist will walk over to another and talk to scientist #2 as if that was Gordon Freeman. Make sure you follow him.
Theres' also a brief (and funny) glimpse of Dr. Rosenberg after the elevator with the blackout - wait for the other scientist to reach the end of the hallway.
There are a few things I don't really care for, mainly the major story bits. The bits where you get frozen and the G-man suddenly walks up to you and start monologuing feel like they could have been removed without losing anything. And especially the ending straight-up bothers me. Suddenly having a cutscene with Alyx and Gordon from what I assume is to be set in HL2:Episode 3 feels ...pretentious, somehow - and the whole segment with what i assume is supposed to be baby Alyx adds nothing, either.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Then it is a case of not running on the tiles, because running will cause the puzzle to teleport you away, even if you were going for the proper solution.

Wait, WHAT?
How the hell did anyone figure that out?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Half-Life just got a patch. Mostly small things, but there's also this:

quote:

• Fixed MP5 spread factor, multiplayer factor was being used for single player and single player for multiplayer
How long has that been wrong?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Fallom posted:

Didn’t it have some sort of limited save system that made all these problems nearly intolerable?

IGI 2 did. IGI just didn't let you save at all.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Jeez, is everyone going to get wristblades in this game?

In that case the Cacodemon should get one too.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I think I'm done with DUSK. It's very athmospheric, but the combat never quite clicked for me.

I almost finished it (E3M9), but at this I'm getting my rear end kicked (I'm playing on "I can take it", which I evidently lied about). I don't feel like I ever liked the combat - this feeling has been lingering throughout the game, and once i started losing really badly that was just the breaking point.

Watched Civvie's videos to see how it ended - that's a good final boss.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The were-jaguars are invulnerable when they're roaring, so dont waste your ammo. Oh, and dont hoard the ammo refills, it's what they're there for.

I used the Crusader the one time I actually completed Hexen. Ended up using the holy laser for basically everything once I got it. His abilities are kinda useless - the temporary powerup is decent, but given how sparsely populated the game is, there's usually no monsters around to use it on.

Of course, the other classes' abilities arent particularly useful either:
Paladin:
  • Extra swim speed, can't drown (at least that's what the manual says, I don't think this actually works).
  • Sometimes when you'd die, you don't, and get a few seconds of invulnerability. (I only remember triggering this once, on the medusas in the fourth hub. I remained paralysed while it beat me to death again.)

Necromancer:
  • Enemies drop health pickups (decent).
  • Melee weapon gets life leech (you'll probably lose more health from being in melee than you'd gain).

Assasin:
  • Becomes invisible when stationary.
  • Extra damage when hitting enemies in the back with the Katar.
Both kinda useless as stealth doesn't really work - enemies are generally stationary and looking straight at the point where you enter a room.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I've only really played the first three episodes, through the mod that allowed you to play them in zDoom. I guess I also played the shareware version ages ago, on the lowest difficulty setting (which allows you to defeat Hans Grosse by standing in front of him and holding down the fire button).

There's a surprising amount of atmosphere they get out of simply by changing the wall textures - episode 2 feels like a significantly different place than episode 1, despite the main difference being that the grey stone walls have mold now. Also I like the small environmental storytelling they managed to create in one of the ep2 levels, where you have several doors side-by-side, all leading to short passages with a single mutant at the end (or sometimes just a corpse), except one, which instead has fresh red brick right behind the door.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The Wolfenstein 3D chat reminded me I'd never played Spear of Destiny, so I gave it a shot.

After year of playing Doom/Duke/Blood/etc, it's hard adjusting to single enemies being potentially lethal. At one point I got killed from almost full health by a mutant waiting in the exit elevator - two shots and *dead*. The extra enemies sprinkled through the boss arenas makes the boss fight quite a bit harder (Level 18 is just mean).

I'd kinda been spoiled on the final level from hearing about the game, but it's still a decent surprise to walk back out of the room with the spear and finding yourself in hell. WAs this spoiled in blurbs/advertising, or did it catch most players off guard?

Also, I never knew Doom II's map31 music was an actual Wolfenstein track, since it never appears in the base game. That was cool to learn.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Tippis posted:

I don't remember exactly which one it was, but there was a comment in some old LP that pretty nicely summed it up, imo:

Quake 2 was what happened when they lost the silly bonkersness and creativity of Romero.
Daikatana was what happened when they lost the regimented structure and rigidity of Carmack.

Neither game ended up what it should have been because both were missing half the pieces of what made a good show piece of what they could accomplish. Instead, Epic and Gearbox took over because they still had that successful mix going for them.

This one?
https://lparchive.org/Quake-2/

quote:

Daikatana showed what John Romero would do if he didn't have iD keeping him in check. The result was this memorable mess of half-baked wild ideas, a psychedelic mish-mash of colors, poor map design, and innovative weapons. And by innovative I mean really really dumb.

Quake 2, however, shows what iD would do without John Romero's input. And, as it turns out, apparently Romero was the only person at iD Software that had the even the tiniest degree of innovation, because Quake 2 is one of the most boring, dull, lazy games you will ever slog through, if you even bother.
(it keeps going)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Here's weird bug I discovered, on E2M2:

If you knock this zombie down with the shotgun, he fails to get back up. He's not dead - kill counter doesn't go up - he just keeps groaning without ever getting up.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Still working my way through the Quake remaster, made it to the extended E2M6 today.

It's cool to see a new area that was supposed to be part of the level, but on the other hand the fact that the entire area has the same cave wall texture makes it feel kind of unfinished.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Working my way through Scourge of Armagon now. I remember getting a bit into it last time I tried, but I'm pretty sure I remember spike mine not dying from a single nail.

Did one of the ports get that wrong? I don't remember which one I was using back then.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'm very glad those demo sounds didn't stick.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Edit: In the level Lost City I feel like I broke something because I saw into the chomper arena and the columns were on the ceiling. I then proceeded to swim out because I didn't realize where the fight was supposed to be and then when I went back into the room the columns were on the floor. Weird.

If it's not clear: DUSK has full freedom of movement when swimming (think Descent).

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Fully upgraded Siege mode is absurdly overpowered, and should be a priority.
Personally, I also like the remote detonation rockets, since the final upgrade lets you detonate without destrying the main rocket - which means basically double damage if you time it right.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Okay, thread, since you got me started on a Quake 2 replay, it's time to ask something that's been bugging me since I was 12:

Do I euthanize the POWs in the detention center or do I not?

EDIT: So far, my temoporary solution has been to leave the choice up to them by providing them with some firepower:

They drop ammo when you kill them, so...

(also, I fixed your image)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I have discovered that Shub-Niggurath's pit on nightmare is pretty hard.

Especially when you fail to pick up the thunderbolt before going in.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I got a little queasy when I first played Dusk, but it went away after I lowered the FoV to 90 (default is 110 IIRC).

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The first game alaso has the (lovely) final showdown agains a bunch of agent 48s, where you need to drag a corpse to the barcode scanner to open the final door (scanning your own barcode activates a gas trap.

It also had the second jungle level, where the proper way to get past the jaguar was to kill a guy and darg him across basically the entire level so you could use him as a sacrifice. You could aso just shoot the jaguar, which had basically no negative effect.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I tried myhouse.wad when it first got mentioned in this thread, and wondered what the hell everyone was talking about, since I found nothing unusual.

I just now realized I'd been playing myhouse.wad instead of myhouse.pk3

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

You lay dying in bed, begging for swift relief from the itch

God's face appears to you

I expected the face to fade away revealing a room covered in switches.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Is there a good place to find RotT level maps? I'm trying to collect the Developer ball in E2M6.

Google sends me here:
https://www.zerker.ca/home/rise-of-the-triad-dark-war-maps.html
Which technically works, but it takes half an hour to download a single image (kinda gives me dialup "nostalgia", but still).

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I do find the alternate automap shows hidden walls better, so it might be worth using that to try and find it.

The alternate automap helps a lot, thanks for that.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

There's a lot of remasters all of sudden - gonna leave Quake II until I'm finished with RotT.

Just managed to kill the NME, after several tries. From descriptions and watching videos of people fighting it, I got the impression that it was some kind of unholy fusion of a Revenant and a Cyberdemon. And I still think it is.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Arivia posted:

If the tutorial is added for the remaster it should tell you what more powerups do. Don’t sit on your adrenalines use them right away!

Is that even an option? I remember adrenaline being an instant effect on pickup - did they change that in the remaster?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Finished the new campaign in the ROTT remaster.

Generally solid levels, but a few of them definitely feel overcomplicated - as far as I could tell, these were the ones that contained developer balls. E3M1 reached the point where I had to switch the automap back to the classic version to keep track of which of the twenty-something switches I had or hadn't activated.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Started on the Q2 remaster. The new berserker attack is annoying, but apart from that it's been all good.

Pretty sure this is a bug, though:

The slime's supposed to be high enough to swim across with the envirosuit, and optionally dive down to the quad. It is possible to make the jump, but the secret is unattainable without cheating (well, you can get it, but you can't get back out).

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Nostalgamus posted:

Started on the Q2 remaster. The new berserker attack is annoying, but apart from that it's been all good.

Pretty sure this is a bug, though:

The slime's supposed to be high enough to swim across with the envirosuit, and optionally dive down to the quad. It is possible to make the jump, but the secret is unattainable without cheating (well, you can get it, but you can't get back out).

I figured out what happened. After jumping past the pit and returning to Toxic Waste Dump, I realized the ambush hadn't spawned, which helped connect the dots. It turned out I had forgotten to activate pumping station one, which apparently also affects this map.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Finished the Quake II remaster.

I'd never played the N64 levels before - they are interesting in a way, with several areas copied more or less directly from the main campaign and the two expansions, but really boring to play. The penultimate level looks pretty cool though.

OTOH Call of the Machine is very fun. I was surprised how different the gameplay feels, even though the levels are using the same weapons and enemies. The base game never really throws swarms of enemies at you, but here there are abundant opportunities to really go nuts with the chaingun, or to actually make use of the splash damage from grenades/rockets.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I remember finding the turrets a lot more frustrating before the remaster. The addition of the targeting laser makes them a lot easier to spot.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Been replaying Blood through Fresh Supply.

Generally feels good, but the music volume seems way too low. As far as I could tell, E1M2 had no music at all. I know E1M3 and E1M5 have none, but I'm pretty sure E1M2 used to.

I checked the settings, and music volume was set to 100%, with sound effects at 85%. I turned sound effects and turned up my speakers to compensate a bit, but it still seems significantly lower than I remember. Also it seems like Caleb's lines dont follow the general sound volume - they feel to loud now.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

This helped a bit, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Crustashio posted:

I didn't even know hl1 scientists could heal you, or I memoryholed it.

They only do that if your health is really low, and given how effective armor is in HL1 it is perfectly possible to play through the whole game without ever getting your health low enough to trigger it.