Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

co199 posted:

Is it bad that I know exactly what map that is on the left from a ten second look at it?
E1M5? :)

It took me a little longer to guess, until I realised the structures on the right were the mazes you had to traverse to get to the yellow key [while also giving you a chance to skip it and go straight through a secret door earlier on!]

Reading these threads really hit home how many classic FPSes I've missed. I've played the really popular ones [Doom/Duke/Heretic/etc.] but very little 3D, and very few that were designed with anything other than the Doom engine. The next chance I get to kill some spare time I'm tackling a few of these puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it's actually e1m6 :goonsay:

though you're right about the maze part in E1M5 being skippable if you backtrack to one of the secret areas in that tall circular room.
God drat it I know my Knee Deep In The Dead guys I swear. :downs:

And the part you're talking about is with the pitch black room with light amp goggles, correct? gently caress that room and every other room like it in every FPS game ever [and gently caress the fact that I'm a huge pussy when it comes to dark rooms!].

Purple D. Link posted:

This seems to just barely qualify for the thread, being a PS2 launch title in 2000: TimeSplitters

... Sorry if this is too "new", but I figured if AvP 2000 could be in the OP, TS1 could be mentioned somewhere in the thread. TimeSplitters is my favorite FPS series next to Half-Life and the best console FPS series period in my opinion, so I wanted to give it some appreciation if it's allowed.
I know that even if TimeSplitters was considered OK for this thread, its sequel wouldn't; but honestly, TimeSplitters 2 is probably my favourite FPS of all time. It just felt so perfect. For about 2 years after it came out I played multiplayer with friends [and even with the hardest difficulty bots with a limit of 100 kills - when I had nobody else to play against - which I'd play and win far more times than I now consider healthy] and created my own maps and even whole episodes to give to certain buddies to play. God, how I wish they had some form of genuine functional online play. I'd play the hell out of it.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

I just picked up the yellow keycard in the first level of NRFTW and :stare: :stare: :stare:

I think I'll leave this for the weekend.

And on the topic of E4M1 of Ultimate Doom, I decided to try and 100% the bastard a few weeks ago and managed it after a few dozen tries. gently caress that NIN secret up its loving rear end in a top hat, and gently caress American McGee for designing that map.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

^^ Yeah, I saw that last night for a fiver and even though I already have a nice backlog of games to play I just had to grab it. I look forward to seeing what all of the hub-bub is about!

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

So I started using Skulltag yesterday and I'm already in love with online deathmatch. Is the Doom Friday still a thing? Is there an IRC channel knocking about? I'd love to find out if there are any good goon servers/nights to jump on.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Roobanguy posted:

Thy flesh consumed doesn't pull any punches does it? Cyberdemon by the second level on Hurt me plenty. I just decided to hoof it to the exit then even try to kill it in the space I had.
There's a teleporter just before the blue block/door thing that allows you to telefrag the Cyberdemon, I think.

e; to activate the platform it turns out you have to walk past the Cyber until you hear the sound of a door opening. Good luck? :buddy:

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 27, 2011

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Playing the new Brutal Doom, having not played any others before and did that shotgun guy just reload? :psyduck:

And finding out I could move barrels during E1M7 was one of the best moments of the whole episode - i spent the next couple minutes arranging them so they blockaded traps and went my merry way throughout the level, leaving to blow them up at the end with a few rockets. :supaburn:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Vintersorg posted:

Halls of the Damned, jesus gently caress this level on Ultra-Violence, so many goddamn Pinky demons.

Than they chase you if you accidentally open a closet!!

I actually played this map with Brutal Doom the other day and found it to be tense and scary as gently caress. That might be because I'm a gigantic pussy when it comes to dark areas and there's a nice big one in that level.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

So, I tried to 100% E4M1 with the 10x mod.

Then I tried Tricks & Traps.

These maps still feel doable, but after about 15 tries on each level I realised I was about to waste my weekend if I continued, soo...

edit: the hosed up part about Tricks & Traps is that the hardest rooms by far are the imp and the pain elemental rooms. Seriously. I never got as far as the final room which, if I remember correctly, will be filled with 10 or so spectres, but I assume a couple blasts of the BFG whould be enough. Well, as long as my health holds out as they begin chewing my face off. What makes the imp room as bad as it is is that about 600 of those bastards start pouring out and there just aren't enough shells on the map for you to take them all out unless you're willing to travel around and let them infet the place. Plus there's no super shotgun, and the chaingun is stashed in the pain elemental room which is just way too cramped and you can't walk through lost souls and it can just go gently caress itself nine ways sideways gently caress YOU PAIN ELEMENTAL ROOM gently caress YOU. :argh:

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 10, 2011

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

quote =/= edit

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

I'm not familiar with Duke3D/HL mods 'cause I don't play those games regularly, but I would be so down for some Doom mod multiplayer.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

The original PSX port of Doom had Doom 2 monsters in Ultimate Doom, and I believe entering 'BBBBBBBBBC' in the password option started you off on E1M2 with the pistol and super shotgun (you can't pick the SS up otherwise, in Doom 1, unless you play through a secret level right at the end of your Ultimate Doom playthrough).

I'd love to see somebody take a crack at altering Doom 1 to incorporate Doom 2 enemies and weapons. Megaspheres weren't a thing until Doom 2, were they?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

SnipeBob posted:

Then I realized that most maps I hated were Sandy Peterson's. They must have been really pressed for time in creating Doom 2, because his Doom 1 levels are so much better designed.
Peterson joined id software about 2-3 months before Doom 1 was released, fixed up 8 maps started by Tom Hall and created another 11 maps from scratch. I doubt he was more pressed for time during the development of Doom 2 than he must have been for the development of Doom 1. He's just a pretty lovely, lazy mapper in general (though the PSX Doom port guys did excellent work in fixing up some of the maps he made).

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Considering Daikatana was a Romero thing, I wrote him off as some kind of hack. That said, maybe the shareware levels just got more love?
Romero created Daikatana but I don't think he was directly responsible with designing many, if any, of the maps. Those were the work of Kris Klie/his Quake playing significant other and whatever other poor saps he had running around the Ion Storm officed by the end of the game's development.

Zero Star posted:

IIRC, one of the Doom2 wads on the Maximum Doom CD is actually a full remake of Episode 1, with extra Doom 2 monsters and items thrown in. Can't remember which one it is though, but it's definitely on the disc.
I'll definitely have to try and track this down. :)

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

ToxicFrog posted:

Marathon had some entertainingly impossible levels with its "5D" capability. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more stuff like that in modern games.
5D?

What?

:stare:

Can somebody elaborate on this, please?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

That TAS is completely nuts. I must have rewatched map 29 about ten times because I couldn't figure out what had just happened. :psyduck: The ending to The Factory was a thing of beauty as well. Stuff like that makes me wonder if a 2-game/1-input TAS is possible (like this TAS of Mega Man X & X2) with Doom 1 & 2.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Maybe we should all try to make a doom map and make a GOON (see: gay) WAD.
I've never made a map before but I'd be totally down for this.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

jimmy boag posted:

Here's my first attempt a a Doom map.

I tried to balance it for Brutal Doom, but it should be fine without it. I haven't added difficulty levels yet, so it's UV only ATM. Is it too hard/easy/boring/whatever?
Had a try of this with Vanilla Doom II and have a few things of note:

- I'm not a fan of dark rooms at all (though this is obviously my own preference), so I'm glad you restrained it to just the area where you pick up the Super Shotgun; I was expecting a lovely gently caress you trap upon picking it up but was pleasently surprised to see there wasn't one. :)

- The area where you battle the Hell Knights/Baron/Reenants was pretty brutal on first playthrough, especially the Baron's placement. Having him hid behind a wall right next to a chaingunner was what ended my first playthrough, due to having little health and having to rush the hitscan enemy only to get ambushed by the guy behind me. Felt like a cheap death, but in subsequent playthroughs I found a great way to deal with the entire area - by letting everything come out and then getting the gently caress out of there into the secret area with the megasphere and rocket launcher to let them in-fight. If that was a deliberate thing then kudos, it was a fun strategy to figure out and try to optimise.

- Sticking to cheapness, the Mancubus' placement also felt cheap on my first playthrough; it's not fun fighting those guys with just your shotgun/super shotgun over long distance. :saddowns: Of course, I found the hidden chaingun on my second or third playthrough which made it better. It's a well-placed secret that rewards attentive players (i.e. anybody but me) so good job with that!

- I like to play without freelook so I didn't find the secret in the area with the red key until a later playthrough, when I shot the wall behind the imp on accident; even then, because I killed it I couldn't auto-aim to shoot up a second time! I'd suggest moving the imp down to be on level with the player and putting him behind a cage texture or something to keep him in place; you could even have two extra imps in their own cages besides the first one, and have the other two cages' walls have a different back texture to clue me in that the original cage has something up with it? Just thinking of some ideas off the top of my head here though. The subsequent secret, and the additional secrets after that one, works well however and I like how they wrap around back to the start of the map.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

So I've decided to give Doom mapping a try, and holy gently caress this is addicting. I wish I had more time to put into a map idea I've been playing around all day, but for now I'm just dropping some screenshots. What do you guys think?

3D screenshot
Overhead view
In-game shot

It's only a room so far, but once I get some time (probably this weekend) I'm gonna try tackle the next area I've planned, which is large and open.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

I'm still working on my own map; got about 50% of the architecture finished but only about 20% or so of the detail. Need to find a way to make large, open areas look non-94.WAD-esque. Here's a map shot of what I've done so far, I guess.

Edit: And this as well. Definitely not the final texture choices, but I'll leave that kind of stuff for later.

I'll get around to play-testing the maps that have been posted itt tonight maybe; I remember playing the original versions of Abattoir Blues and Suicides last week so I'll say a little thing on each:

Suicides - Don't like this map; I prefer playing to 100% secrets and kills, and having no ammo to take care of the remaining enemies is lame. :( Maybe have an ammo cache at the exit as a secret for us completionists? :buddy:

Abattoir Blues - I really like this map, although the chaingunners in the gigantic open area picking me off from far away felt cheap. The ending felt really sudden. I feel like it could be expanded another few rooms!

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 22, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

re: Brutal Doom: I'm not designing my map with it in mind, but we should remember that the original Doom games weren't designed for BD either, and they work fine enough (if you ignore a couple traps later on in Doom 2/Plutonia, as well as that Imp trap in The Factory). So I'm working with Vanilla in mind but will probably playtest it in BD when I get the chance, just to see if there are any moments where BD totally upsets the map balance (there's one I've realised already which involves a Pain Elemental in close quarters - a fun, satisfactory part of the map in Vanilla, but basically suicide in BD due to the PE's fire damage)

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's just that I'm really opposed to putting in a secret that would trivialize the map if it's easy to get to.
The only thing I can think of is putting it right at the exit; a timed door may also work, but if you put it in a place that can easily be overlooked then the player is basically being screwed over. The timed door would help in making the pace of the map feel more urgent, though!

Anyway, I played through the new Abattoir Blues and it still looks great, in terms of aesthetics. I was literally firing off my last shell on the last enemy (that wasn't a Lost Soul) though this time around, and I had 11% health (though that may just be my bad playing!), so maybe you could introduce a little more of both? I understand if you're aiming at that level of difficulty but I scraped 100% kills by the skin of my teeth.

John Carstairs posted:

I actually made this one at work at some point last year, but the textures were all messed up because I had to use the Freedoom wad. I took this opportunity to finally fix that: http://www.mediafire.com/?k4t582e272pcoog
I've just played through this and I have to say, it really is a nice map. Texture choice as a whole was pretty much spot-on and everything seemed to fit together nicely. Not too much of a challenge (I bezerked my way through about 50% of the whole map, to be honest, though that's because I love bezerk mode) but the flow of everything was smooth and it was fun to play through! I also enjoyed the secret that required the red keycard, though I feel you could have added a few higher-difficulty monsters, seeing as you gave me both a blue armour and a plasma rifle for my troubles. That area though, for the most part, was my favourite; even the atmosphere seemed tense, as if I'd went somewhere I should regret going to. So yeah, a couple revenants or an archvile or something there would have fit really well.

jimmy boag posted:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54418567/jimmy%20boag%202.wad

Here's my second map, it also includes an updated version of my first one.
I played this and I really liked how it opened up the more I explored the map. It honestly felt more like a Duke Nukem map than a Doom map, what with the sloped surfaces and the sewer design. Monster placement and difficulty balance was fine. I felt as if I wasn't being punished enough though for picking up things like keys, or the rocket launcher. Lower the bars and kill two imps, nothing else happens. :geno:

The update to the first map removed the excitement of the huge room full of enemies, because I had to flip more switches to open up areas. :( It also bugged the Baron out so he couldn't move, which needs fixing. It's a shame, as my favourite part of that map was turned into probably my least favourite because of that added switch (and the baron's placement). The archvile fight at the yellow key, however, was a lot of fun and a very nice addition to the map.

Anyway that's a lot of words for reviewing goon projects; Sanzuo, I only played the first version of your map so I don't feel it's appropriate to comment on design when you've aparently updated it significantly. I'll be sure to play it when I get the chance!

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 22, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

poptart_fairy posted:

I do indeed, thank you. :dance:

I'm starting to wonder if I was hallucinating the Final Doom PSX stuff though. I swear the starting levels were set at night time in a weird courtyard thing.
PSX Final Doom certainly did exist, and a PSX TC is currently being made by somebody over on Doomworld, though it's still a work-in-progress. The PSX port of Final Doom isn't so much Final Doom though as it is "the easier half of the Master Levels mixed with the easier levels from TNT & Plutonia", but it's still fun I guess.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

OK, so here is my first Doom map (actually, here!). As fun as map making is, I hate working on one single project as I'm so impatient and want to rush it out as quickly as possible! Hence why you're getting it now rather than Sunday night when I've had time to fine-tune it!

So yeah, I'm thinking of going over it over the weekend (or whenever I get some time) to add more detail where-ever it's needed, so any texture suggestions and tips would be great; otherwise, it's fine to play as far as I know, though I'd appreciate any notes you can offer. Although I've tried to cater to all 4 skill levels, I've only play-tested skill levels 1 and 4 to make sure it feels balanced. I'll suggest that skill level 1 feels about as difficult as Episode 1 of Doom on Hurt Me Plenty/Ultra Violence, and level 4 feels like something out of a mid-to-later Plutonia level in terms of difficulty (but that's for you all to judge!)

Anyway, have fun. :v:

edit: screenshots!

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 12, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

At the moment, regarding the goonwad, I'd say that about 13-16 map spots are taken up if you take into consideration the idea that some mappers may want to include more maps, including myself. I think you can easily sort those into their own themes (tech-based, outdoor, hell, etc.) and then see how big each episode may be, which one goes first (outdoor > tech > hell?) and which episode needs more maps contributed towards it.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 3, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

"Hey guys, welcome to let's play The Ultimate Doom - with my feet! :haw:"

I remember enjoying your LPs of Doom 2 & Doom 64, Cyraptor, and I remember you going on about a Duke Nukem 3D LP so I'd like to see that as well; more than anything though, I'd love to see you slog through episodes 2 & 3 of The Ultimate Doom because whoo boy are those the quintessential "gently caress Sandy Petersen" maps right there. loving House Of Pain oh my god. :froggonk:

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 8, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

So I finished my map, which you can grab here. I've balanced for all skill levels and added bits and bobs throughout as a surprise for people who have played the map already, but nothing too game-changing. Textures and what-not are pretty much final, unless someone wants to raise any sort of objection to something that really puts them off or a bug/HOM/whatever. Happy playing! :)

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

So I have a couple questions to ask.

First of all, is there a source port for Doom that's considered the best for recording demos? I'm trying to find out a way to record in Skulltag and having no luck, so I was looking to get a different port specifically for demos.

Secondly, I've decided to start playing through more Doom pwads - more specifically, famous classic megawads. i'm hoping to progress through them chronologically, and Momento Mori seems to be the first really big Doom 2 wad as far as I know. Anybody got any recommendations, or any favourite megawads that seems to have fallen to the wayside for stuff like MM, Hell Revealed or whatever?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Install Gentoo posted:

PRBoom/PRBoom+

H2Omelon posted:

Yeah prBoom+ is the only port worth considering.
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try throughout the week.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

For the proposed goon megawad, are we cool to use some custom assets? I'm not looking to use new monsters or weapons or whatever since I'm assuming most people would like to keep this compatible with stuff like Brutal Doom, but I'm interested in maybe using some custom textures, some sprites, and maybe a bit of ACS. I've got my level underway, but I'm having a hard time with my texture selection and I'm thinking I might just use the original ROTT textures to some degree.
I wouldn't mind them. I'm lacking on ideas for a new map so I may start hunting around for custom textures of my own if they're allowed - I just need to learn how to intergrate them, though I assume it isn't that hard.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Here's hoping that the goon wad project isn't dead yet. Checkpoint.wad!

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 31, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I ran this in gzdoom with Doom 2's wad and it seems to be missing textures. I like the thing you did with the sectors and floor textures. It seems a little cramped though.
I included some Doom 1 textures as well. Do you need to do something extra for that?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

SPACE HOMOS posted:

You may need to move over the patches you used and have the textures defined in a 'texturex' inside the wad. You can use slade3 to do this.
Hopefully this works? I've patched both the Doom & Doom 2 textures to it just to be safe. I playtested it with just Doom 1 textures patched and it was a mess and patching the Doom 2 textures with it seemed to fix everything up. I dunno, I'm bad with computer. :shobon:

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 31, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

In Doombuilder I'm loding up resources from both The Ultimate Doom & Doom II, and it's configured in basic Doom 2; I'm testing with Skulltag. I keep all my IWADS in my main Doom folder so I assume whenever I play my map it's taking the textures from them without the need of patch on the pwad itself?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

The Kins posted:

You can just include the "NJTEX.ZIP" at the bottom of this page to get all the missing Doom 1 textures into Doom 2.
Thanks, I think this did it. Third time's the charm, right guys? :rolleye: I've tested it in PRBoom and it worked fine in both software and OpenGL mode, so it should be alright now!

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

I've always felt that E4M1 is a great challenge as long as you're not going for 100% kills and secrets because holy poo poo the NIN secret. Seriously, American McGee, what were you thinking?

E4M9 is also a really good map from what I remember. I think it was the first genuinely difficult map that I beat on UV from a pistol start when I was a kid, so it will always have a special place in my heart. :3:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Mak0rz posted:

Also, are you guys still interested in a spruced-up version of that comprehensive Doom Builder 2 guide posted like forever ago? Or was that already addressed? It was on hiatus for a while, but I'm ready to work on it again.
I don't recall it being updated or anything but I'd love it if you touched up what you already have. I started mapping after reading the original tutorial and I'm wondering if there are any other things I've missed.

Anyway, after the shitpile that was checkpoint.wad I've started on something that's hopefully a little more fun and interesting to look at. It's based in a research lab located besides a volcano!

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Update: my volcano map is looking less like a tech base besides a volcano and more like a bizarre hell map:

Does anybody know of a place where I can find some custom skies? I'm looking to patch one in, as obviously a big brown sky sort of upsets the predominantly red/white/grey colour theme I'm going for.

At the very least, I've found some pretty awesome music for this thing. Totally getting sick of "Running From Evil" right about now.

Encryptic posted:

That looks pretty cool so far. What about having part of the base built into the volcano as opposed to just on the edge of it? Maybe have some machinery-looking stuff in it like it's pulling energy from the volcano (kinda like the Magmoor Caverns section of Metroid Prime).
I've got one room left to basically build and decorate, so I'm thinking of having something like this for that room's design. I'll check out some videos of Magmoor Caverns to see if I can find any inspiration. :)

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

IT'S DONE

Volcanic Pass

It's playtested for all difficulties, and should be bug-free. If you guys find something please let me know.

edit, now updated

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 24, 2012

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Thanks for the help gang, I swear I fell behind that tree in one playthrough and managed to walk back out but hey, I've moved it anyway.

quote:

I'd consider adding a little more ammo near the beginning, at least on "medium." Of course, maybe I just suck...
No, you don't - I've just been playing too much Alien Vendetta lately and I'm stuck at that level and style of play.

Anyway, here's an update! It addresses everything that's been brought up re: bugs and stuff, and I've tinkered around with ammo and weapons at the start so that you can go through both doors of your own accord. Originally (On Ultra Violence, at least) I had planned for only the door to the left to be a viable option, and for you to have to cause infighting to create an opening for the Super Shotgun (again, too much Alien Vendetta). I realise now that that's pretty dumb.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Encryptic posted:

I was a bit disappointed the Cacodemons aren't able to fly out of that fenced-in area you put them in to swarm the player
I don't really know how to have them fly out without making the lines entirely passable for monsters, and I assume turning the fence itself into a sector will stop the sides being see-through. Saying that though, I can't think of anything else that can pass through them if remove the block monster parameter, so if I make another update I'll look into that more closely. The idea behind that area is that it's a side-area that can be found through finding a secret (did you find it? I assume not). During one playthrough I think one did fly out, but at the other side of the area which I cannot explain at all.

quote:

I would almost have to say it might be more useful to put the Blur artifact closer to the Spider Demon guarding the blue key if possible since that's probably when you'd really need it if you want to grab the ammo around him. I managed to do it without taking damage, but your mileage may vary.
Yeah, the blur sphere is intended for the Spider Mastermind yet I wanted the player to have to leave their cover to grab that (and the ammo that's scattered around the key). Having it closer would make it too obvious and that's a fight where I want to force the player out of their safety zone if they want any further advantages than what they already have.

Korendian Leader posted:

Overall it's quite an enjoyable and pretty map. The layout is logical and I didn't notice any obvious bugs. Took about 20 mins to complete a UV-max run.
Yeah my main worry about the map was its size - my fastest time so far is two seconds short of seventeen minutes on UVMax, though I'm sure there's a faster path I can take. I'm glad to hear that it's not too much of a slog, considering its size.

Tiger Schwert posted:

You know exactly where that archvile's going to come from at the end of the blue key room. Was that intentional?
Yeah, I like the idea of having the player know that there's an enemy nearby who can mess you up yet you have no idea when it's going to pop out. It's a change from your typical ambushes/monster closets I think (and it ties into the Rocket Launcher trap in that you know something's gonna happen yet you're not quite sure what it will be until it happens).

quote:

I guess the 3 suits are there for co-op reasons?
More for aesthetic reasons than anything; the idea is that the people who worked within the base had suits stored within the volcano they were researching.

quote:

I thought the teleport pad in the outdoors was a bit silly, didn't know if I was supposed to hang around and gun everything down or just run ahead.
It's for the UVMax guys I guess. :v:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

catlord posted:

I finished off the Spider Mastermind ... and you only need three BFG blasts to take him down.
If you get close enough to him then one BFG shot should be enough. :science:

Or is it her? I've heard people refer to spider masterminds as "her" a lot. I know the original manual refers to her as mommy in some form.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Just played through this and it's as nice as always, but a couple things of note:

These two imps are stuck in one another on HMP/UV.

I have no idea how to get into this room on the right; a little help? :V

All in all, I still enjoyed it; the added monsters (the revenant trap near the green armor especially) make it a little more exciting and fun to play. I'm glad you didn't just dump a load of monsters everywhere and said "There, it's a little harder now" (like I would)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

JackMackerel posted:

Are there any good 'vanilla' .wads besides Scythe/Alien Vendetta/TNT that are recommended?
I think Memento Mori deserves a mention; it's primarily a co-op wad but works well enough for single player. Plus it has some kickin' rad music to boot.