Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Any single-player TC's for Doom that have come out recently that are worth a look? Stronghold is epic, but I've tried looking around for something with a similar level of polish and, well... There's a lot of crap out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Don't think it's been posted yet, but everybody should give the singleplayer Doom wad "Unloved" a shot. It's... certainly something. I literally have no idea A: What the gently caress is going on and B: What the hell I'm supposed to do now. (Seriously, I'm an hour in, I've got the three keycards, I don't know where to use the red one, and apparently I still need to collect the skull keys.)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just picked up Unreal Gold. Gotta say, I love it. It's been awhile since a game has made me jump. That entire first map had me jumpy. AND YOU NEVER FIGHT ANYTHING. drat.

I think I need to pick up ZPack and brutal doom, after watching a bit of that video. Hot drat that was awesome.

Edit: Just watched you throw a barrel and tear off a pinky's head. There is no :stare: big enough.
Edit2: Toss dude into wall. "gently caress yourself." :gizz:

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 3, 2011

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, I'm going to download Brutal Doom here in a bit and see if it'll run with Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos. This is going to be awesome.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Welp, Stronghold + Brutal Doom didn't work so well. Lives are set to 0, so you automatically get kicked out of any map you enter. On the other hand, Brutal Doom's weapons showed up.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
That looks incredible. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Chinook posted:

That's kinda cool. I would probably play it if it were Doom 1 instead.

^ Someone needs to do this. The first three episodes. Seriously.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Nope. It lags harder than nuts.wad with Brutal Doom loaded. Maybe a higher end PC would be able to handle it, but I had to use FREEZE on the console in order to even be able to aim straight. It's a pity because this is otherwise an awesome goddamn map.

I loaded it up with AEoD.

:negative:

Brought my poor laptop to it's knees.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Anybody know how to use your class power in Doom Roguelike Arsenal? Specifically, the one that lets you convert spare weapons into mods as the technician? No key listed in options and like hell I'm going to search all 200+ pages of its doomworld thread/join a new, unfamiliar forum to ask what is probably a really dumb question.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Speaking of, I'm about done with Dark Forces. And while I'll definitely replay Jedi Knight in a bit, are there any other titles like Dark Forces that are solid shooters but are more about mood, atmosphere, and light traversal?

I hope someone else has an answer for this that isn't "Dark Forces is unique among FPS' s, something that has never been seen before or since. "Jedi Knight maintains some of the feel but it just wasn't the same.

I would kill for another mission based Doom-like where most of the weapons are pew-pew energy guns.

I would kill for a finished Dark Forces source-port or emulator. I know someone has been working on a Dark Engine emulator forever, but it's still not ready, at least as of the last time I checked.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 22, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been looking for a particular level wad for a while, maybe you guys can help out.

A couple of years back I played the hell out of a Egyptian/Alien/Futurey level set. Each level had you walk into a Stargate looking portal to move to the next map. Anybody remember what this was?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Not Epic2, and Osiris looks right but oh god, batch files?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, Osiris works just fine if I use doom explorer and use just the wad and dehacked patch, I don't have to mess with the batch files. I'm pretty sure it's the mod I was looking for, but it's not as good as I remembered. Oh well.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Rather Dashing posted:

I haven't played it in a while but I'm pretty sure you're describing Scythe 2.

It absolutely had the dog-headed enemies that are in Osiris. Are those in Scythe 2?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Oh yeah, I found that Beautiful Doom's SS soldiers don't play nice with Ultimate Doom 2. I fixed it pretty easily - popped open the Monsters WAD in the PK3 file in SLADE and commented out the 'include_wolfSS' line in DECORATE.

Now it works nicely. If anyone's feeling lazy, I could upload the fixed version?

That would be great, actually.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Here ya go.

https://mega.nz/#!M4gQ1QjY!MEJ4UojTq6mlQzEcP-YLfKxfHgpLhfYR8VvnYlsB8gI

It's exactly the same as normal but with one line in there commented out. I've not seen anything else conflicting with that mod.

Thanks!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

laserghost posted:

I used to know cheats to Doom/Duke/Quake better than names of my classmates. Nowadays I only remember idkfa and iddqd, so whenever I get stuck in some vast Duke3D map, I type those cheats via muscle memory and stare blankly at monitor, marvelling at my bad memory.

The codes I remember:

DOOM: IDDQD, IDKFA, IDCLIP

DARK FORCES: LAPOSTAL (Who remembers what that did and was referencing? :D)

JEDI KNIGHT: ERIAMJH (The flight cheat), THEREISNOTRY (invincibility or level skip? Can't remember.)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
While we're talking cheats, Shadows of the Empire for N64 had a ridiculous one that required holding down all of the buttons on the controller (pushing them down in a certain order!) and then carefully manipulating the directional stick like a loving dial on a safe. Once you figure out the only possible way to hold the controller in order for your fingers to reach the required buttons, you are basically forced to use your tongue to manipulate the stick. That loving game.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The Cat motif on that video was kind of dumb (especially given that's he's clearly good enough to do a human face, but evidentally chose not to) but that was still pretty Doomy, even if it did veer pretty hard into Brutal Doom territory.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You absolutely nailed the SSG, Plasma Gun, and Rocket Launcher. Holy poo poo.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Uhh...I'm a newbie to this thread but I redownloaded gzdoom in hopes of replaying Doom with some mods and megawads later on but I have this really annoying problem where the game loads in my secondary, smaller monitor instead of my main one. I googled the problem and people mention something about an adaptor console command but I'm new to gzdoom and not quite sure what that means or what I need to type, sorry. I really just wanna play some Doom.

Also are there any addons for the original Ultimate Doom and expansion games (DII, TNT, Plutonia) that enable the soundblaster soundtrack instead of midi? I grew up with SB so its more nostalgic but not that important really.

You could just disable the second monitor.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
If you're going to make the ammo used by both shotguns different, why not go whole hog and tighten up the spread on the regular shotgun so that it's essentially shooting slugs? Your changes would make a little more sense then.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Replaying Doom 3 using the BFG edition. I will forever maintain that it is not a bad game but it is a bad Doom game.

Really could us some loving subtitles though. Some of these audio logs are quiet as hell.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Linguica posted:

You're proud of that quip huh

To be fair, John Carmack's "Ghosts of Mars" really would have been a good title for it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
On that note, can we get a proper Cyberpunky Shock game again?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Speaking with Polygon, the developer explained that many people's only exposure to the series is through BioShock, so it's making some tweaks to cater to modern gamers' tastes. That means the tone of the narrative is also set to shift, as is some of the gameplay. but the overall plot will remain.

Well that sounds bad.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Welp, I've been meaning to learn how to mod Doom (because I want to play around with ways to make the pistol something you'll use more than 5 seconds past the start), so I might as well learn all of it.

Won't be able to start until way later tonight though

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Since I work better with a goal in mind, the first map on this page is what I'm going to base my first map on. It's pretty simple, technically only being seven total rooms (counting the outdoors room), but I also think I'm going to try and model a drop-ship outside the base as the starting area. So I guess this would be a DoomRL themed E1M1 replacement.

Current plans are to widen and lengthen the building out a bit, with the two wings of the second inner room being stairs leading upwards, with the final room in the middle a staircase leading down to the elevator/exit. In addition to the drop-ship, I also want to add a couple of smaller buildings outside containing a bit of ammo and armor, former human and marine corpses scattered about to explain what happened to the rest of Doomguy's unit. I also want to put a key behind a secret. You won't need it to exit the level, but if you get it off a dead marine corpse in the secret you can take it back to the drop-ship and use it to unlock a corresponding door containing a chaingun and (maybe) a backpack.

Using DoomRL maps as a base for actual Doom maps seems like it shouldn't be too frustrating, since both engines are two dimensional, but GZDoom builder will let me add more detail and depth.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Having a weird issue with GZDoom Builder.

Trying to make a fancier looking door. the door itself is the standard 16x128, with a pair of sectors that are 8x128 in front of and behind it, which I'm using to basically frame the doorway. I set the linedefs on both sides of the door to open on use, repeatable, the same settings that I used that worked without the framing. The front side of the door works fine, but when I head through, turn around, let the door close, and try to open it again it doesn't work. Any idea what might be causing the problem?

Edit:
The mystery deepens. When I set the side that isn't working to open when I shoot it, shooting it causes the door to turn into the "I don't have a texture, enjoy this terrifying repeated expanse". Then, if I clip back through to the other side, the door no longer opens from that side, instead it shifts a tiny amount and then stops.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 22, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Check that the non-working side is properly presenting its front side out, because linedefs usually can't be activated from their backside. (They don't like it when you touch their butt.)

The missing textures can come from how you'd have properly put the upper textures on the front side, but then it shows its back side, not its front side...

You can always flip a line's sides by pressing F (unless you changed that binding I guess) when it's selected in 2D mode.

Well poo poo. That was it. Thanks!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Scripting is making my head spin and changing my map format to anything but what it currently is breaks everything horribly, so I think I'm just gonna save the friendly imp for some other mapping experience.

Would I be a bad person if I didn't put a secret down here?

You're only a bad person if you put what looks like a secret area down there, and then don't include a way to get back up.

Time to play around with my map a little more. Tonight's adventure? Debating between stairs and making an outside area.

Edit: Ooh, just got a little update. Nice.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

Alright. I'm definitely taking a break from this map to play around with something simpler. Though before I completely put it in the "figure this poo poo out later" bin, could someone help me figure out why my remote trigger isn't working right?

When I test the map, using that line only lowers the sector it's attached to, instead of all sectors with Tag 1. Am I missing something obvious?

Well, under action you didn't list a sector tag? I have no idea if that's the issue, but it seems logical to me.

So, about sky boxes... Setting the ceiling to the sky texture... did not do what I wanted. Need to research, apparently.

Also, I made a little "outside" area that is about twice the size of my two interior rooms... and holy crap it feels tiny. This is gonna take awhile to figure out. On the other hand I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp of how to vary the terrain (height-wise, anyway), so that should be good.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Guys I've never made a map at all myself and even I know that it's probably best to start with the basics before doing anything advanced. Many of the maps you all play already are probably Doom/Boom format. Hell, Back to Saturn X is 100% vanilla compatible and look at how great that turned out!

Yeah, I'm happily rolling along in GZDoom (Doom 2 in Doom) Format.

Shadow Hog posted:

UDMF and Hexen-format linedef specials work differently. That "tag" you assigned "1" to isn't the tag the special acts on - it's a tag for another special to act on (a "line ID", something only Hexen-format and UDMF have). Instead, all the linedef specials now take up to five parameters to adjust how they behave; it's the five "Argument" options in the "Action" part of that second screen. You wanted to put "1" into the one labelled "Sector Tag" - the reason it's only lowering the one sector is because it's set to "0", and ZDoom frequently defaults "0" to mean "the sector behind this linedef".

LogicalFallacy posted:

:doh:That make a terrible amount of sense. I thought all was well since I it had tagged as 1 down in identification.
For your sky texture, did you use F_SKY1 or SKY1(or 2 or 3)? F_SKY1 is what you should be using to make a "skybox."

Hey, looks like my guess was right. Sweet. Also, after having read up on Skyboxes, I really loving hope this is correct, because having to make a seperate room and add some special actor in there and blargh. Please let it be this easy.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Made some good progress tonight. Got to play with both stairs and with getting the skybox working (it was simple!). Also played around with adding some pick-ups and a few Former Humans to blast away at when I test my map. Doomguy wanted something to do when I go into the map to make sure things work for umpteenth time, he was getting bored.

Just need to finish the remainder of the interior rooms, learn how to make a level exit, then I get to expand the outside room to surround the entire building. Won't that be fun?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Welp, guess it's time to show off my awful map.

I'm terrible at computer, so no video for you.

And here's some selections for folks not willing to browse the album:

So this map is based on E1M1 from DoomRL, although it has been rotated 90 degrees. I've made some stylistic changes, however, in the name of teaching myself how to do certain things, and because DoomRL is not capable of doing certain things, being full 2d rather than Doom's 2.5D.

This is my temporary starting area, eventually this entire "outdoor" area will wrap around the whole base, and will include some enemies and assorted out-buildings, including a dropship that will serve as the final Doomguy starting area.

I'd say something like "gently caress stairs forever" here, but I discovered early on that Doomguy can walk up ledges that are two ticks high, rather than just one, which halves the number of steps needed to bring him to a "second" floor. Hooray!

I have plans for the wall behind bubba here. After I get the outdoor area built, I want to put a window in this wall that will allow me to look out at the area behind the building. I think I know how to do it, we'll have to see.

This is the stairway leading back down to the level exit "elevator". At this point I have tried to adhere to the enemy placement from DoomRL (and I'll probably continue to do so for at least the inside of the base), so here's where our first shotgunner is.

Huh? What's that little tunnel branching off from the entryway room? That's not on the DoomRL map!

:iiam:

Anyway, I still need to adjust most of the wall textures to something nicer, round off a bunch of those awful-looking corners, throw some more decorations around (Barrels!), expand the "outdoors", add some more secrets, figure out how lighting works... maybe experiment with elevators? If nothing else I want to put a nuke lake outside that has formed from a leak in one of the walls, inspired in part by CJacob's really neat map.

Edit: In before someone mentions it looks like a hosed up vagina.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 23, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

Doomguy can actually walk up ledges that are 3 "ticks" high, which is great for super steep concealed staircases. Concerning your dropship, there's an interesting engine doohickey that I predict you'll run into. The "walls" above a structure still exist and occlude things behind them even if they are showing the sky texture. So if you build your dropship in such a manner that you should be able to look over it and see other things, you'll actually just see sky.

I already knew that would be an issue, and the only solution I can think of is to lower the "ceiling" in that part of the outdoor map, so that the wall is only one "floor" high. This is a terrible solution and I'm already ashamed of suggesting it.

That's some interesting information about three tick high staircases. I'll probably just stick to two for now, that already kind of looks too tall, TBH.

CJacobs posted:

That is one hosed up vagina!

I like what you have going so far, it's a good start. I appreciate your dedication to making stairs that curve which I tried exactly once and then gave up on. Thankfully there's that tool that does it for you so I have resigned myself to just letting it do its thing.

I'll have to play with that staircase tool at some point. Possibly when I'm not working on a part of the architecture I'm not already happy with.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 23, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Making it out of a tall floor, rather than a low ceiling, is entirely doable. It'll just have to be stuck to the ground and impassable underneath. Doom mappers have been making vehicle props (though usually stuff like cars and trucks) this way since pretty much the beginning.

Ooooh. Oh man, I never thought of turning the exterior upside down. That's fantastic.

Yes, before you ask, the idea is for Doomguy to actually start inside the ship.

GlitchThief posted:

Wait, sorry. What's a 'tick' in this case?

The amount that the floor or ceiling rises and falls when I roll my mousewheel up and down one... well, tick or unit. I think it's probably something like 4 or 8 pixels, but don't quote me on that.

*E; F, B.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

Don't forget that the way checking for height works, you can accidentally make a set of stairs that you can climb up, but can't climb down - because the ceiling height is just high enough for upwards travel but too low to go down.

Doomguy is a 32x72 unit box. He only needs 40x80 clearance to move freely and 128 is the default height for most wall textures, so that should be pretty easy to avoid running into.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure you understood what I meant, but having Doomguy start inside is not possible with my suggestion.

Here's an example: The ARV next to your spawn point in Z1M1 of Knee-Deep in Zdoom:

It's literally just a raised floor, textured to look like a vehicle.

No, no. I got it. It'll be fine. I have an idea, but the SCIENCE will have to wait for late tonight.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

Be prepared. As soon as I finish up the map I'm working on now, I'll be throwing the WAD at this thread instead of a video. It'll be fun being able to get feedback from people who haven't seen the level already. I should (hopefully) have it done this weekend. It's going to end up being a pretty decent sized map.

This is my plan as well. Might not be this weekend though, we'll have to see.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Chex Quest was kind of cute. Short enough too that by the time the novelty was wearing off, it was over. I'm also kind of impressed with how good Episode 2 and 3 of Chex Quest look, I know 3 came out long after the first two but Episode 2 gave me serious Duke Nukem 3D vibes of all things. Hopefully a possible Episode 4: Thy Flem Consumed will happen one day.

Now onto Wizard Doom.

Wizard Doom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

So in my endless search for more things like DN3D: War of Attrition, I'm getting back into Doom + DRLA. (No DoomRPG this time around since it's currently incompatible with DRLA, it appears.) What would people recommend as good settings for Oblige? Alternately, recommend a good WAD for that random levels feel?

Finally a use for Z-Pack?