Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I never had any luck getting AEons of Death working before, but now I really want to check it out. Here are the problems I'm running into:

Ultimate Doom: doesn't work with it. I get the following error:
code:
Script error, "AEoDdat.pk3:animdefs.aed" line 63:
Unknown texture SLIME01
Forcing it to run by not including AEoDdat.pk3 pretty much loads up regular old Doom with the fancy AEoD items and enemies replaced by generic placeholders (a red diamond with an exclamation mark).

Doom II: It works... but it's not exactly playable. Weird poo poo happens, here's all of the issues I ran into so far:
- Sometimes enemies don't spawn. At all.
- Same with weapons.
- Enemy and pickup sounds only play some of the time.
- My HUD isn't all there sometimes (or maybe this is a class thing?)
- My current weapon being actually displayed on screen is a rare sight, but when it does it misses animations and sounds when firing

These are things I ran into only on Map01 so far :psyduck:

GZdoom version: 1.5.6 (r1104). OGL enhancements disabled because my laptop is a dick.
AEoD version: 5.29.1

I've had this problem with AEoD and GZdoom versions both new and old. What's happening?

Use the latest SVN build of zDoom here: http://svn.drdteam.org/zdoom/

Also, make sure you're running both AEOD.pk3 *and* AEODdat.pk3. You can just drag both of them onto the zDoom exe or make a shortcut with "file AEOD.pk3 AEODdat.pk3" after zDoom.exe in the target section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Did that, still running into the same problems.

I've been doing that the whole time.

If you're still running into the problem I don't know what to tell you. I just tried making a fresh folder with the latest build of zDoom, Doom2.wad, and AEoD.pk3 and AEoDdat.pk3 and everything works fine.

If you're using a launcher to do it then maybe it's causing some sort of problem.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Does Aleph One still have that wonky options menu that you can't access ingame?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ChurlishToff posted:

I loved AEoD. Some pals of mine are coming over and we're going to have a lil' lan party. Is there a method of playing it multiplayer or are we going to be stuck with playing dukeplus 'til our eyes melt?

AEoD can *kind of* work in Skulltag, but it has to be an old version and I can't remember which one. My buddies and I get together every now and then and run a LAN party with it, and right now I'm busy trying to make my own weapon compilation with its stuff that's Skulltag-compatible.

Don't count on co-op working in zDoom or anything, though. All the stuff going on makes you go out of sync very quickly.

Learning how to code weapons using Decorate has been an interesting experience. The scripting is pretty clever, but the unfortunate thing is that there's like 2 or 3 functions in zDoom that aren't in Skulltag that would really open things up for the latter, like true heatseeking missiles.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Convex posted:

I tried Marathon (the first one) a few months ago and really didn't have a lot of fun. All down to personal taste, of course, but I found the whole thing way too slow and boring. I can imagine the story and setting (the aspects that really stand above what Doom and other contemporaries were doing) were a lot more innovative and immersive back in 1994, but the gameplay just doesn't seem to have aged particularly well.

I didn't really like it much either. The story bits were nice, but I hated the level design in the first game and the combat wasn't all that interesting.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Thompsons posted:

Is there a way to change playerclass in AEoD without having to use the player setup menu in the options? Every time I use that it just resets to "random."

Doesn't it give you an option to select it when starting a new game?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I'm not sure if anybody would be interested in this, but I spent the last week making a weapons pack for Doom 2/Skulltag in the spirit of AEoD:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQG2ECXA

It features a huge variety of weapons, random weapon spawners, a couple NPCs thrown in for flavor (that drop backpacks), and a fully-working Shrinker from Duke Nukem 3D. It should work fine on any map, although I can't promise that the gameplay will be that balanced since I haven't gotten the opportunity to playtest it much. Bots seem to handle it just fine, though, and they can be reasonably tough.

Since I really only meant to play it at LAN parties with my friends, I didn't bother to keep track of who made what weapon or anything so I admit everything is shamelessly ripped off from AEoD, Realm 667, and other wads posted around the internet.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

What color is it? For me, they heal a bit of damage and work just like mini health kits...

I wish the Nazi weapons pack would work on Skulltag, so I could use the MW2 weapons/gameplay mod in conjunction. Hey, it's the closest I'll get to living my fantasy of mowing Nazis down with modern weaponry.

This wasn't that hard to make so I did it for you:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XYYWK7VB

Make sure you create a shortcut to skulltag and make the target bit look like this: ...skulltag.exe -file RGH_1_11_2_Skulltag.pk3 nazimonsters.pk3 so the files load in the correct order.

I didn't do much playtesting so I don't know if something gets broken later on, but there you are!

Textures, sound and code from the NAZIS mod: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29815

~~Modding Note~~: The only thing that really makes it incompatible with skulltag is the use of the A_CheckSightOrRange function for bullet whiz sound effects. I really wish the skulltag devs would get over their feature freeze thing and implement the 10 or so extra functions that zDoom has, since they can add a lot to the game.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 30, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Let me know if you guys run into any problems. It took me like 20 minutes to throw it together and I only checked out the first couple levels of Doom 2, but I'll be happy to polish it up some more since you're interested in it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

co199 posted:

The only thing I've noticed is the SS Guard in black with the machine gun doesn't have any sounds played when he fires. Using skulltag 0.98e alpha May 2011. It's not a showstopper.

The other thing I've wondered is if it's possible to get either Real Guns 2 or Real Guns Hardcore to recognize normal / replacement monsters as capable of giving EXP. I have no idea where to start in modding this stuff or else I'd have figured it out myself.

Ok, I fixed the sound issue and implemented XP drops for all the monsters. The amounts might not be appropriate for every Nazi, but I tried to base them on the monster class they share with RGH (Hitler will give you 600-700 XP, a Guard will give you 5-10 XP).

Straight up Nazis: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D0686J0T

Nazis with RGH (Only compatible with RGH!!!!): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8UHCXECK

Link to RGH: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

Again, remember to make a shortcut with "-file **RGH filename** **Nazi monsters filename**" so they load in the correct order.

If anyone has issues, send me a PM if you can so the thread doesn't get spammed up. I didn't bother to decompile the scripting for the experience drops to see how it actually works, but I didn't notice any problems when I played through a level.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

co199 posted:

Holy poo poo dude, you are a fuckin' boss. Thanks!

EDIT: Tried with the RGH-specific build, played the first two maps of Ultimate Doom, the first map of Doom 2 and an Oblige map and had no problems. All the Nazis give out appropriate exp in Classic and Hardcore mods, in the Arcade mode they give out a ton of exp, which makes for some hilarious levelling up after killing like 5 dudes. So much fun.

Ok, I found the problem - there was an infinite loop in the spawn code that kept giving enemies more and more XP every second.

Here's the fixed version: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y83B48G8

Keep using the old one if you like the crazy XP, but I figure you'll get some hilarious crashes in a long map. I'm not gonna balance out the XP rate, and running without the RGH spawns probably results in less monsters. If you want to fix it yourself you can download SLADE and adjust the values in actors/nazis.txt in these two lines for every monster:

code:
CYBR A 0 Thing_SetSpecial(0,226,613,0,random(5,10))
POSS A 0 A_GiveInventory("XPAmount", random(5, 10))

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 1, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Help me goons, I'm running OS X 10.6.6, and I have the wads for Doom 1 and Doom 2 in the same folder as Skulltag, but when I run it, it just shows up on the dock, bounces a couple times, and then goes away.

I wanna shoot things :(

Yeah I tried to get it working last night and gave up. The team doesn't really care about the OSX version so don't get your hopes up.

You can just run the Windows version in Wine, though, I think.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fishmech posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a program like this http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1329 but with a GUI? Basically, you use it to smush together a bunch of random wads into a megawad, it allows you to change their exmx or mapxx location so they don't conflict - but being a dos program from 1995 you have to do this all on the command line and it doesn't like non-8.3 file names.

I'd like a program like this, but has a file browser to select all the files and a gui for reordering the map numbers.

You can use this: http://slade.mancubus.net/

It won't automate the process for you but it should be as easy as renaming the MAPXX markers.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

This downloads a broken file.

Try this one

http://www.mediafire.com/?wbb7fw381ukl1in

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Any zDoom code wizards here? I can't figure out a way to make it so that random weapon spawners don't continually spawn weapons on top of each other. I want it to spawn one weapon at random and then stop spawning things until that weapon gets picked up.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Man, I really wish zDoom would implement the netcode that Skulltag has. It's really getting on my nerves that Skulltag is based on such an old version and refuses to implement any of the significant changes in the code.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SwissCM posted:

It's less that they refuse to, more that they aren't allowed to. Their fault really, they could be completely open source if they wanted but they're not confident enough with the security of their netcode.

They released the source to one version of Skulltag but good luck finding it since every link to it is broken.

They're slowly porting features from zDoom into the Skulltag alphas but it seems like even the most minor ones have to be scrutinized and debated over. I mean, the expanded A_SeekerMissile functionality is something like 6 lines of code!

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

SLADE is the best WAD editor/browser today. It also handles a bunch of other formats like Duke 3D GRPs to varying extents.

Technically you should be able to export all the Patches and Flats to PNGs, edit them as you will, save them as 256-colour PNG files, and put them in a zip file in appropriately named folders ("Flats" and "Patches"), then you should be able to run the zip as a WAD ingame and see your changes.

Don't worry too much about pallete, either - if you use a 256-colour PNG for your textures, ZDoom will be smart and convert it to Doom's pallete on the fly while GZDoom will display it as intended.

SLADE is pretty rad. It has some quirks that I don't like, mainly the fact that it doesn't resize the text editing pane properly so the program can only be used in fullscreen/almost fullscreen, but it covers pretty much everything you need to make a mod in one program.

As for paletes, you can convert everything you select at once so that's really easy. Just highlight all the textures, right click and go to GFX -> Convert to... and it'll have all the settings you need and even show you before/after views.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

My laptop:
CPU: dual-threaded, dual-core Intel i3 2.27GHz
GPU: Intel HD chipset, notorious for not being able to play anything remotely recent.

GZdoom (with OpenGL) on 1600x900 stutters like mad and becomes unplayable during some busy scenes. Software rendering (same resolution) doesn't experience any slowdown at all. I can play Quake III and the like just fine, it just seems to have a problem with newer rendering methods/calls or something.

The one exception to hardware acceleration running faster than software acceleration is with integrated Intel chipsets. Sorry :( I had to deal with gaming on a GMA 950 for a while and some of the tricks you have to pull to get games working were hilariously arcane.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

So I tried out Brutal Doom and drat, this is pretty awesome. Most of my old complaints about Doom still stand, but somehow they don't matter as much anymore. I installed the R3D textures and they look pretty good, too; going to give the DHTP textures a look as well and see which I prefer.

A few questions, though -
  • Are there any high-res sprite packs?
  • Any other recommended visual upgrades?
  • The enemies seem really sparse, far fewer than I remember - does it ramp up later in the game, or should I turn up the difficulty (will this add more enemies, or just make the existing ones nastier?), or should I install 10x Doom, or what?

There's a high-res item pack for Skulltag.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dominic White posted:

As an interesting aside, the Brazillian-made Doom mod Legacy of Suffering is inspired by the movie.

It also has a quad-barrel shotgun and is pretty great overall. The text could really use a going-over by a native english speaker, though.

This is pretty awesome. The situations it throws you into are loving ridiculous.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

Strangely absent: An upgrade to a ZDoom build that isn't over ten years old.

Oh well. Maybe next time.

Dammit, I was hoping ZDaemon would be more current.

I just don't get this stuff. I know not very many people work on Skulltag and Zdaemon, and they're doing it for free, but I've looked for myself and a lot of the significant changes to the ZDoom code are *simple*, and even the simplest extended and new functions can provide a lot of value for mods.

They really ought to open up the source code for their projects. Doing so doesn't necessarily cause rampant hacking and cheating, since other games have done it before. Even a closed-source game isn't immune to the simplest hacks that don't depend on knowing the source code.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 18, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

iPad owners must close Marathon and launch a separate "settings" program if they wish to turn the music volume down.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

I feel like you guys are thinking about this more than id ever did.

That could never be true. The Doom Bible that Tom Hall was working on is almost Zybourne-esque.

http://5years.doomworld.com/doombible/

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The Kins posted:

Some random news![list]
[*]Some mysterious Russian dude has thrown together a version of GZDoom for OSX, if you perfer using fancy expensive silver-y computers. It's not official, but the dev seems to be constantly synching to the SVN updates.

Thank loving god. It's about time.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Convex posted:

Probably a dumb question but would there be any way of making a PWAD that automatically starts a new level with just a pistol? IDCLEV isn't a huge inconvenience but it's be nice just set something up to do it automatically...

I think you'd have to set up a script for each map that takes your weapons away once it loads, so it's not really practical. As far as I know you can't make that sort of script without referencing the individual map, so it won't just be a "For any map: Take all weapons away except the pistol" kind of deal.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

Can't test it right now but https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16481 might do it.

Well I'll be damned, that uses a script to take away every weapon and give you the pistol back as soon as you enter a map. I shouldn't have opened my mouth.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

How do I fix that skewing effect you get when running GZDoom? If you move the mouse while running, the textures on the walls seem to skew in one direction.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

It's a perspective issue that is the nature of the engine, because it technically doesn't draw things in three dimensions. To fix it, enable OpenGL functionality on GZdoom.

Or play pro and turn off Y-axis looking :kamina:

I know about that, but the thing is that I do have OpenGL on.

And I'm not talking about looking up and down, I'm talking about looking side-to-side. Turning on v-sync fixes it, but then the mouse aiming gets kind of screwed up. The effect won't show up in FRAPS so I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the game runs at 700+ FPS, but why would it skew things when looking left and right?

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 31, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Chinook posted:

What's so pro about not looking up and down? Doom basically operates on one plane anyway. It just feels nicer being able to swing the camera around naturally...

You can abuse it to see some enemies that you normally wouldn't, but I don't think that's such a big deal.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

E2M2 with the music pack that the BrutalDoom guy recommends (http://www.4shared.com/file/N_D9I1vo/Doom_Metal.html) is probably my favorite Doom track ever. Does anybody know of any music packs that go for more of a spooky/techno feel than just metal?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Tried messing with your FOV settings? I'm sure FRAPS would capture that though, and it doesn't really have much to do with vsync and the framerate, so I have no idea... Weird.

I think I'll just chalk it up to some really weird screen tearing going on. It doesn't much look like the kind of tearing I get in modern games, where the screen splits in half, but those games are running at maybe 80 FPS on my 60 Hz LCD whereas GZDoom is running at 800 FPS at times.

If you get that kind of FPS in GZDoom, check it out by running past a wall and looking left and right as you do so. It's definitely something that's very noticeable, but it's not a huge deal.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

treat posted:

I used the term loosely since they're actually remodeled and the behavior of most enemies is altered enough to make them unique.

You realize that remodeled enemies with new behavior is the exact opposite of a reskin, right?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Goddamit, gently caress Alien Vendetta.

The levels are large and beautiful, it plays nice with Brutal Doom, but boy, but it sure tired me out. Having hundreds+ of monsters and killing them all is really fun, but when the some of the maps begins to constantly throw Cyberdemons at you, it really begins to drag out.

gently caress Alien Vendetta.

Throwing a bunch of cyberdemons at you is like the same level of fun as making you go through most of a level with just the pistol. poo poo ain't fun.

Brutal Doom's pistol replacement is the best thing ever, though, but it's kind of balanced out by the fact that specters are loving terrifying.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Gah. I've just played through Doom with Brutal Doom, loved it, and now I'm trying to get hold of Doom 2. The hitch is that I'm on Linux, and as far as I know Doom 2 is only available through this new-fangled Steam thingamajig. It seems to want me to install software that doesn't work on Linux before it will let me buy things. Is there a way I can just give someone money and get the IWAD in exchange? This shouldn't be hard. :(

Steam will work through WINE. Don't get ripped off by id, Doom 2 is $10 on Steam and $20 on their site.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Is it possible to put Ragdoll enemies and/or physics in a source port for a 2.5D game?

Technically yes, with the source, but it'd be a big undertaking. I prefer sprites over 3D models in the games anyway.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Zero Star posted:

Try punching a barrel in Berserk mode... ;)

You can still pick up barrels after berserk mode ends, too.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Oh? For some reason it looked in the YouTube video like there was some cartoony cel-shaded filter applied to it.

It's just some of the sprite smoothing stuff that I usually turn off. The youtube preview image looks really weird, though.

Has anyone actually redone the original monster sprites in a nice-looking way? I'd love to have some new hi-res sprites, although it would take a huge amount of work.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Golbez posted:

Off topic, but how do I get into a scroll wheel to clean it out?

On most mice you have to take off the teflon pads to get to the screws so good luck putting those fuckers back on when you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I'm about 3/4 through Quake and it's just about as good and bad as I remembered. I want to slap whomever thought it would be a good idea to have an enemy that shoots homing, exploding projectiles that never explode on their own and can't be shot down.

But coming off of the Doom series fresh, my goodness are the environments in Quake boring.

I stopped playing Quake when I got to the slime dudes. gently caress that poo poo, they don't even fit in with the rest of the game. They look and act like something an amateur modder crapped out.